Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 375492 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #1863: Nov 03, 2014 09:51:54 pm
      Raheem is and will be a cracking player!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1864: Nov 03, 2014 09:53:16 pm
      He shouldn't have to be up to it at his age, he shouldn't have all that weight and expectation on him. If others would grow a pair and step up to the plate then Sterling would be able to just get on with his development like last season. Admittedly it doesn't help Sturridge being injured mind.

Agree fully, expecting a 19 year old to carry the team FFS where is the leadership on the pitch.
      The guy is being run into the ground because he is being forced to play every game due to no one else good enough to cover!!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1865: Nov 03, 2014 10:08:56 pm
      He shouldn't have to be up to it at his age, he shouldn't have all that weight and expectation on him. If others would grow a pair and step up to the plate then Sterling would be able to just get on with his development like last season. Admittedly it doesn't help Sturridge being injured mind.

Don't think I made the point that he should be up to it?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1866: Nov 03, 2014 10:35:19 pm
      I have to disagree, sorry. A lot of his best games has come when he's played as a #10. He looks more natural playing there. In my opinion, he is more suited centrally than being rooted on the right or left.

Agree Raheem is most effective running at defenders from a central position going left or right makes him much more dangerous and a nightmare for defenders.

No, I agree that his best games have come as a No. 10. I'm just saying it isn't this hugely weird or incorrect thing to play him in the position he's played since his youth days.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1867: Nov 03, 2014 10:40:22 pm
      Try him through the middle.

Against QPR, Hull and Newcastle he was deployed way too wide.

By the time a ball would come to him he had two men on him every time.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1868: Nov 03, 2014 10:47:37 pm
      Don't think I made the point that he should be up to it?

Didn't say you had mate, was just pointing out that it shouldn't be the case but has unfortunately ended up like it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1869: Nov 03, 2014 10:49:17 pm
      According to the rumoured team for tomorrow, Raheem will be getting his much needed rest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1870: Nov 04, 2014 12:00:33 am
      Beginning to think Raheem had such a great year because there was no pressure on him thanks to Sturridge and Suarez. Now that he's being asked to carry the load, he's just not up to it.

He shouldn't have to carry the load FL.

I was one that thought Raheem would have a great season but as time has went on it's clear he is expected to be the main outlet in our team when he isn't fully ready.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #1871: Nov 09, 2014 03:29:18 am
      What's his contract situation is like? Two years left? I would be worried if we don't get CL this season.

All of the big clubs would be monitoring his contract situation closely.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1872: Nov 09, 2014 06:22:23 pm
      What's his contract situation is like? Two years left? I would be worried if we don't get CL this season.

All of the big clubs would be monitoring his contract situation closely.

I'm sure it was a 5 year deal so at least 3 more years but he's about to sign an extension on a new deal anyway
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1873: Nov 19, 2014 01:52:18 am
      With Sturridge now out and Balotelli looking toothless, I think the time has come to try Sterling as a striker through the middle.  Front three of him, Lallana and Coutinho either side of him.  Much more pace and movement than Balotelli/Lambert/Borini etc.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1874: Nov 23, 2014 05:09:00 pm
      Still think he needs a rest on the bench. He's been pretty poor for most of the season. Just a kid with too much pressure on his shoulders.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1875: Nov 23, 2014 06:53:57 pm
      Completely out of form yet is a guaranteed starter with the same turgid results. Why pay £20M for Markovic if he is going to sit on the bench all season.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1876: Nov 23, 2014 07:22:48 pm
      Completely out of form yet is a guaranteed starter with the same turgid results. Why pay £20M for Markovic if he is going to sit on the bench all season.

You not seen Markovic play then!?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1877: Nov 23, 2014 07:26:37 pm
      i think the reason why we start sterling almost every match is his contract situation, if he becomes unhappy he will not sign a new deal and the sharks will come circling
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1878: Nov 23, 2014 08:53:01 pm
      You not seen Markovic play then!?

I have yes and he has been no worse than Raheem, why completely burn out the 19 year old and how else is Lazar going to get up to speed?
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1879: Nov 23, 2014 09:08:27 pm
      I have yes and he has been no worse than Raheem, why completely burn out the 19 year old and how else is Lazar going to get up to speed?

You've obviously got a bit more faith in our £20 million man than I have and I'm not sure this is the best side to be trying to get up to speed in given that none of them are up to speed. Maybe you're right in that Sterling is looking under the cosh at the moment. Who knows what the answer is, the whole team looks completely and utterly shot to me. It's looking like a very long season ahead.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #1880: Nov 23, 2014 09:30:44 pm
      He clearly misses Suarez's influence, as both of them worked really well together last season. You could see how Suarez got the best out of him in a system that worked so well last season.

There is no understanding with him and the other forwards this season and his confidence is low.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1881: Nov 25, 2014 02:48:34 am
      Too many youngsters in the team that should be learning off better players, not holding the responsibility of LFC on their shoulders already. they don't have any leaders playing with them any more. Gerrard is a leader but is getting on and has too many responsibilities on field to be freely leading Liverpool to victory - now he's too busy thinking about saving us from losing. Agger is gone, Carra is gone. They are leaders, they are glue for the squad. Men who encourage the team to get it together and influence from the back. Even Flano was important to our make up. This team is totally new and void of leaders, of Liverpool men. We don't have any players in the right headspace, it seems. As I said Gerrard is too busy worrying about holding the middle/defence/team together to think about leading us to victory. He has new partners in midfield every week so there's not going to be consistency in how we play any time soon. Those partners in the middle are usually too busy keeping it together to be thinking about leading the team to victory. The youngsters we play in attacking positions have way too much in their heads, too much to learn still, to be at a stage where they're only thinking about their skills to lead us to victory. We needed an Alexis Sanchez so at least somebody in the team is seasoned and able to lead young men.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1882: Nov 25, 2014 11:01:08 pm
      Back in the day, we wouldn't have had a sniff of Sterling for another year to eighteen months. He'd be in the reserves learning his trade until he was ready both physically and mentally

He's been rushed and he's burnt out already
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1883: Nov 26, 2014 12:11:17 am
      Don't think he's burnt out, I think he's been found out.

Without the threat of Sturridge and Suarez, he's being treated as a first option by opposing teams and they are making it hard for him.

Last year even with as dangerous as he seemed, he still wasn't better than Luis or Danny and teams gave him more leeway.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1884: Nov 26, 2014 07:54:24 am
      Don't think he's burnt out, I think he's been found out.

Without the threat of Sturridge and Suarez, he's being treated as a first option by opposing teams and they are making it hard for him.

Last year even with as dangerous as he seemed, he still wasn't better than Luis or Danny and teams gave him more leeway.

He has been overplayed and with the added pressure of international duty it's no surprise he has had a dip in form he is only 19.

I thought the reason why we bought so many players in the summer was to avoid this sort of situation!

Give him some time out and then play him in his best position in the diamond and let's try and pass the ball, rather than the turgid tactic of Stevie spraying 60 yard rockets to him stuck on the right wing where he has no chance of any success he isn't crouch FFS.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1885: Nov 26, 2014 01:46:30 pm
      He has been overplayed and with the added pressure of international duty it's no surprise he has had a dip in form he is only 19.

International duty, being considered as our main player and overplayed at such a young age can add pressure and usually would result in dip in form, but I don't think they are the main reason for that.

Give him some time out and then play him in his best position in the diamond and let's try and pass the ball, rather than the turgid tactic of Stevie spraying 60 yard rockets to him stuck on the right wing where he has no chance of any success he isn't crouch FFS.

You are absolutely right. He needs to play in his best position, but how many times has he actually played in that #10 role this season? I think being "out of position" has been the major factor towards his dip in form.

Quick Reply