Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 379072 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Re: Raheem Sterling Player Thread
      Reply #2576: May 19, 2015 07:35:51 pm
      Let's face it he's gone, it's just a question of how much and who to now. But we will regret that he isn't an LFC player for many years to come I suspect. Those that suggest he won't get a look in at City or Arsenal or wherever will look a bit stupid I suspect. The lad is a terrific talent with tons of potential.

It is bizarre to me to read how poorly some of you rate him and yet he leads our team in virtually every attacking category/statistic there is over this past season. What must you think of the rest of our players?

They also pinged up a bunch of stats on SSN, I noticed he was 2nd only to Hazard in successful dribbles, 2nd to Hazzard as the most fouled player in the league. I reckon his contribution (on an apparently terrible season) will be missed around here.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #2577: May 19, 2015 07:45:45 pm
      Yeah, I agree that he has tried reasonably hard for us on the pitch. He has just been out of form.
      He is also a very talented player - a loss of form for a few weeks or months doesnt change that.  (I'm glad that the people saying we should offload him for peanuts arent running the club.)

My problem with him is his attitude to the club off the pitch - greedy and stirring sh*t at a key moment in the season with that BBC interview.

On the pitch, he's been poor the last few weeks, but I think he has been trying hard enough.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2578: May 19, 2015 07:48:31 pm
      Let's face it he's gone, it's just a question of how much and who to now. But we will regret that he isn't an LFC player for many years to come I suspect. Those that suggest he won't get a look in at City or Arsenal or wherever will look a bit stupid I suspect. The lad is a terrific talent with tons of potential.

It is bizarre to me to read how poorly some of you rate him and yet he leads our team in virtually every attacking category/statistic there is over this past season. What must you think of the rest of our players?

They also pinged up a bunch of stats on SSN, I noticed he was 2nd only to Hazard in successful dribbles, 2nd to Hazzard as the most fouled player in the league. I reckon his contribution (on an apparently terrible season) will be missed around here.

Well I hope Wenger or Pellegrini spend more time with him on the training ground to get him to master the most basic tenant of football - shooting.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2579: May 19, 2015 08:01:49 pm
      Sell him to City. We will get top dollar from another English club, he will flop at their squad, we will be in a position of power to agree a part deal for one of Dzeko or Aguero.. ha ok that was a step too far.

SELL SELL SELL.

He has great potential but he has no left foot, no end product, bad attitude, will eventually leave, easily replaced.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2580: May 19, 2015 08:04:05 pm
      Sell him to City. We will get top dollar from another English club, he will flop at their squad, we will be in a position of power to agree a part deal for one of Dzeko or Aguero.. ha ok that was a step too far.

SELL SELL SELL.

He has great potential but he has no left foot, no end product, bad attitude, will eventually leave, easily replaced.

By your theory we should sell him to the Mancs  ;D

Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2581: May 19, 2015 08:04:35 pm
      Well I hope Wenger or Pellegrini spend more time with him on the training ground to get him to master the most basic tenant of football - shooting.

No doubt it has been poor the past three months, aside from the screamer against Newcastle I cants recall the last goal he scored. His strike rate of 10 at the midpoint looked pretty good and had him on course for between 15-20 but his game appears to have suffered for the moment these contract rumblings started.

If he ends up at Arsenal or City I'd wager he will score in excess of 15 goals next season, maybe a few more. I wonder how many Lazar will bag?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2582: May 19, 2015 08:07:12 pm
      By your theory we should sell him to the Mancs  ;D

Sure and I would take Deary Maria as part deal.

Have a good feeling this one wont come back to haunt us. He is gonna be really good, but I think his ceiling stops there and his attitude for me is not in keeping with a good dressing room...
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2583: May 19, 2015 08:07:36 pm

That's the real trick though isn't it. I wouldn't trust our shoddy transfer committee to replace the Physio.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2584: May 19, 2015 08:09:50 pm

That's the real trick though isn't it. I wouldn't trust our shoddy transfer committee to replace the Physio.

Haha. They replaced the groundsmen and look how that turned out... Ha

Ye they are shockin. Which is kind of a pickle.... need good players to play well? Ha
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2585: May 19, 2015 08:11:37 pm
      No doubt it has been poor the past three months, aside from the screamer against Newcastle I cants recall the last goal he scored. His strike rate of 10 at the midpoint looked pretty good and had him on course for between 15-20 but his game appears to have suffered for the moment these contract rumblings started.

If he ends up at Arsenal or City I'd wager he will score in excess of 15 goals next season, maybe a few more. I wonder how many Lazar will bag?

We will see but my point being if you look at his technique of striking a ball it's terrible, his ability to cross us not much better. Yet he is still being made out to be the next big thing.
      Most great attacking players are natural goal scorers, it's an instinct which you either have or you don't, I don't think Raheem has it.

As for Lazar well if he gets picked at Wingback I doubt he will get many goals but if he is given more than 45 mins a match in his prefered role then he might score than Raheem has managed this season, quite a few which were as a striker.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2586: May 19, 2015 08:14:48 pm
      We will see but my point being if you look at his technique of striking a ball it's terrible, his ability to cross us not much better. Yet he is still being made out to be the next big thing.
      Most great attacking players are natural goal scorers, it's an instinct which you either have or you don't, I don't think Raheem has it.

As for Lazar well if he gets picked at Wingback I doubt he will get many goals but if he is given more than 45 mins a match in his prefered role then he might score than Raheem has managed this season, quite a few which were as a striker.

I agree. If he wasnt English he wouldnt have been blown up into this next sensation, like he has been.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2587: May 19, 2015 08:22:23 pm

His technique striking the ball isn't the cleanest I will give you but 11 isn't such a bad return for a lad his age, it will get better. As for his crossing, used correctly he will be squaring balls for the majority of his assists. How many goals are scored from genuine crosses in today's football? The game has changed so much now, put him in an Arsenal shirt and his pace and trickery on the ball will put him in a position to set up tap ins galore in that system. It's clear a lot don't really rate him, I think they are all wrong though. This kid will be superb and our transfer policy will not bring in a player to get anywhere near what he brings to his new team over the next few seasons. That is my belief.

I won't be anywhere near as gutted as when Fernando or Suarez went but I do feel sadness and frustration at where we are at as a club compared to 12 months ago. And regardless of the bad advice he has received or the way he has carried himself, I have lost all faith in our transfer policy or the ability of FSG/Ayre to conduct contract negotiations with our current (or potential) players. The way they handled Gerrards contract was farcical and an insult to the Skipper in my opinion. We've got Skrtel and Henderson sitting on just 12 months to go (another joke) and tey have played this one all wrong as well. It's amateur night in the boardroom.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2588: May 19, 2015 08:23:07 pm
      An insult.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #2589: May 19, 2015 08:25:33 pm

I dont think he is a wing back and i dont think he thinks he is a wing back either so not a good start. But like you i think give him time he will be as effective as Sterling he is certainly just as quick
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2590: May 19, 2015 08:35:07 pm
      His technique striking the ball isn't the cleanest I will give you but 11 isn't such a bad return for a lad his age, it will get better. As for his crossing, used correctly he will be squaring balls for the majority of his assists. How many goals are scored from genuine crosses in today's football? The game has changed so much now, put him in an Arsenal shirt and his pace and trickery on the ball will put him in a position to set up tap ins galore in that system. It's clear a lot don't really rate him, I think they are all wrong though. This kid will be superb and our transfer policy will not bring in a player to get anywhere near what he brings to his new team over the next few seasons. That is my belief.

I won't be anywhere near as gutted as when Fernando or Suarez went but I do feel sadness and frustration at where we are at as a club compared to 12 months ago. And regardless of the bad advice he has received or the way he has carried himself, I have lost all faith in our transfer policy or the ability of FSG/Ayre to conduct contract negotiations with our current (or potential) players. The way they handled Gerrards contract was farcical and an insult to the Skipper in my opinion. We've got Skrtel and Henderson sitting on just 12 months to go (another joke) and tey have played this one all wrong as well. It's amateur night in the boardroom.

I certainly agree with your sentiments, our negotiations over contracts, along with player recruitment have been atrocious and as Barrett articulated this morning maybe we have not given Raheem a reason to stick around other than we are LFC.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2591: May 19, 2015 08:51:45 pm
      We've got Skrtel and Henderson sitting on just 12 months to go (another joke) and tey have played this one all wrong as well. It's amateur night in the boardroom.

Thought Jordan signed recently?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2592: May 19, 2015 09:04:51 pm

He did :)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5034 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2593: May 19, 2015 09:06:27 pm
      Personally I think he's been totally Kuntish, in the cold light of day what has he given us this season, not a f***in lot for someone who believes he should have wages in excess of £100,000 a week, my belief is his current deal pays him around the £30,000 mark, not too shabby for someone barely out of his teens is it,?

Now ok he has been played out of position most of the time but is that a good enough reason for his under par performances ?
      We have other young players asked to play out of position like Lazar for example,

Raheem IS a talent, he has great potential, but he's 20 FF's, it's not as if he's been setting the world alight with his skills and world class performances is it ?
      he hasn't looked as good as he was when Hannibal Suarez was around, I think we can all see how badly he's been advised, Neville hit on it last night when he said his agent should be protecting him from the media sharks and keeping him out of the limelight, it's clear his agent has a alternative agenda, look, he's going and Hacienda that,

But what would be a realistic (bounty) sorry price on his head, now I reckon we could cash in quite well, 20 yrs old, Engerlund international, one of the brighter prospects of today's young British/European talent, bags of ability, I'd be inclined to whack a minimum of £35m, on his greedy little heid, highest bidder gets their man,
      But there is no rush ppl, he has two years left of his current deal, it's become clear he doesn't want to play for LFC, well fine sonny, don't, you can have a wee sabbatical sat on  your arse on the ressies subs bench, don't forget to send us a wee postcard now will you,

What a contrast from last Saturday eh, we have a fella who has given the last eighteen years of his life to his club and country, worked tirelessly to achieve a world class status, has earned the respect of his peers from all corners of the globe from legends past and present, has kept his feet firmly on the ground whilst remaining loyal to his club, his city folk, and his family, then we have Raheem Sterling, 20 year old know all, with more thought about money rather hard graft, thinks he has made it because he had one very good season playing along side a natural genius,
      Thinks LFC owes him, and thinks are bullying him into signing a new deal, believes he's worth upwards of £150,000 a week, yada yada yada,

Right now I wouldn't offer him anything, accept to hold the f***in door open so he can get his fat greedy head out of Anfield, thanks Raheem, wish you all the best fella, NOW F**k OFF !!

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2594: May 19, 2015 09:15:23 pm

Not yet, he's supposed to be signing this week sometime.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2595: May 19, 2015 09:22:49 pm
      Neville hit on it last night when he said his agent should be protecting him from the media sharks and keeping him out of the limelight, it's clear his agent has a alternative agenda, look, he's going and Hacienda that,
      Total conflict of interest for EVERY Agent.

But what would be a realistic (bounty) sorry price on his head, now I reckon we could cash in quite well, 20 yrs old, Engerlund international, one of the brighter prospects of today's young British/European talent, bags of ability, I'd be inclined to whack a minimum of £35m, on his greedy little heid, highest bidder gets their man,

Min 40m for me. Football is daft.

But there is no rush ppl, he has two years left of his current deal, it's become clear he doesn't want to play for LFC, well fine sonny, don't, you can have a wee sabbatical sat on  your arse on the ressies subs bench, don't forget to send us a wee postcard now will you,

Would disagree and shift him now. The dressing room is broken this season. Questionable whether there is one player playing for the club or love of the game and giving it their all. We dont need this sort of attitude around. That goes for Studge too, not saying I want him gone, but his attitude stank when he came back from Injury.

Put simply, if you dont/cant leave everything on the pitch week in week out, you shouldnt be wearing the jersey. We were so poor at home this season... AT F***ing HOME, against the lower poor teams, f**king Palace did a double over us... We need players with heart. Kuyt wasnt great but he left it all on the pitch. Lucas does it too. Players like that win you the sh*t games i.e. against 70% of the league. Great players win you the big games... we need them too.

So sick of money grabbing players.

Raheem do one and sack your Agent while your at it.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2596: May 19, 2015 09:26:25 pm
      What a contrast from last Saturday eh, we have a fella who has given the last eighteen years of his life to his club and country, worked tirelessly to achieve a world class status, has earned the respect of his peers from all corners of the globe from legends past and present, has kept his feet firmly on the ground whilst remaining loyal to his club, his city folk, and his family, then we have Raheem Sterling, 20 year old know all, with more thought about money rather hard graft, thinks he has made it because he had one very good season playing along side a natural genius,
      Thinks LFC owes him, and thinks are bullying him into signing a new deal, believes he's worth upwards of £150,000 a week, yada yada yada,

Right now I wouldn't offer him anything, accept to hold the f***in door open so he can get his fat greedy head out of Anfield, thanks Raheem, wish you all the best fella, NOW F**k OFF !!

YNWA

This sums it up well for me billy.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2597: May 19, 2015 09:30:53 pm
      It's apples and oranges mate.

Suarez's attitude towards the game is a whole different kettle of fish to that of Sterling's IMO. Even if he wasn't deemed world class he still had the ability a player like Sterling could only dream of.

Sterling's attitude mirrors that of Torres sulking in his last 18 months - NOT ability - but attitude, something Suarez didn't even resemble, well, Melbourne apart maybe.

Whether Torres/Sterling were fed up with Rafa/Rodgers, H&G/FSG is by the by, I'd always expect a "professional" to at least sweat blood for the club and fans when he's on the pitch. Perhaps this is a "romanticized" ideology and totally flawed in today's game, but these are still my principles and I'd expect many fans to feel the same.

I believe that with Suarez leaving,Sturridge Injured, neither Balotelli or Lambert preforming, that when Br gave Sterling than striker roll It all when to his head and he started to believe that he was better than he was, and I think that you are spot on with the whole "Suarez's attitude towards the game is a whole different kettle of fish to that of Sterling's"
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #2598: May 19, 2015 09:36:11 pm
      Has this mercenary been expelled from the squad yet?

Seriously... I hope he is not allowed to attend training.

Get rid. But get some cash please..

Quick Reply