Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 373405 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)
      Reply #3266: Dec 11, 2018 12:47:15 pm
      I really don't think the abuse he gets is down to his race at all, I'd have to disagree with Carra and Neville on that. It is probably more to do with how the media portrays him and how he left us. Same with Ashley Cole and how he left Arsenal for a rival.

Sorry but there is more than enough evidence out there to show that it’s down to his race - where the Chelsea fans shouting at him just calling him a “expletive “ or a black “expletive - that answers your question

And the more deny what’s going on the slower it will take to stamp it out

Check out this twitter feed and it shows how the red top rags point fingers at someone and it’s because of his colour

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1001218545588502530

( apologies it had headlines from the Scum)

Here is a good BBC article which highlights how two footballers were “reported” differently for the same thing but because of their skin colour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3267: Dec 11, 2018 01:15:50 pm
      Sorry but there is more than enough evidence out there to show that it’s down to his race - where the Chelsea fans shouting at him just calling him a “expletive “ or a black “expletive - that answers your question

And the more deny what’s going on the slower it will take to stamp it out

Check out this twitter feed and it shows how the red top rags point fingers at someone and it’s because of his colour

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1001218545588502530

( apologies it had headlines from the Scum)

Here is a good BBC article which highlights how two footballers were “reported” differently for the same thing but because of their skin colour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849

I think certain newspapers (sports section) are fueling hate more than racism and targeting the more vulnerable, no matter what skin colour. I have seen that directed at all races, but I have also seen positives for the very same players that are hated.

I remember so many positives for Sterling and Cole when they were 17-19 (I even seen positives for Sterling last season and this!), talking them up as the next big thing until they moved clubs. Like I said, the reason why Sterling and Cole were/are hated is more to do with how they left their previous clubs and wanting more cash, and it's no brainer that you would get more sales/clicks if you stir the pot.

I really don't think there is enough evidence out there to show it's a race agenda to fuel racism. I certainly don't remember the same level of hate for Ferdinand, Bent, Lennon, Smalling, Clyne, Deeney, Wilson etc etc.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3268: Dec 11, 2018 01:18:34 pm
      Funny that Sterling gets dogs abuse from Liverpool fans, when the manner of his leaving was nowhere near as bad as the antics from Suarez over not one, but 2 seasons to try and force a move, and yet we see the same people that slate Sterling wanting Suarez to come back, and finding shitty excuses for his atrocious behaviour.

Personally, I don't give a sh*t.
      Once they're gone, they're gone.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3269: Dec 11, 2018 01:21:21 pm
      I think certain newspapers (sports section) are fueling hate more than racism and targeting the more vulnerable, no matter what skin colour. I have seen that directed at all races, but I have also seen positives for the very same players that are hated.

I remember so many positives for Sterling and Cole when they were 17-19, talking them up as the next big thing until they moved clubs. Like I said, the reason why Sterling and Cole were/are hated is more to do with how they left their previous clubs and wanting more cash, and it's no brainer that you would get more sales/clicks if you stir the pot.

I really don't think there is enough evidence out there to show it's a race agenda to fuel racism. I certainly don't remember the same level of hate for Ferdinand, Bent, Lennon, Smalling, Clyne, Deeney, Wilson etc etc.

Well first of all Ferdinand has received plenty of hate and he has talked about it and believed it too race based hatred as well - the other players you mentioned are not exactly main stream

Just look at those two articles

Foden buys a house for him mum - nice positive angle , a young man looking after his mum

Then the headline for his black teammate - Nothing of the sort about looking after his mum

Why did the media not look at both the players the same ?

Another - Harry Kane has a complete mare in 2016 Euros , Sterling also struggled - the Kane mare was down to him taking corners where as Sterling was smashed from pillar to post

If Sterling was white he wouldn’t have got the sort of headlines seen over the years - the hatred towards him is full of racist undertones
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3270: Dec 11, 2018 01:44:13 pm
      Foden buys a house for him mum - nice positive angle , a young man looking after his mum

Then the headline for his black teammate - Nothing of the sort about looking after his mum

Why did the media not look at both the players the same ?

I am sure there are many positive articles written about Sterling when he was Foden's age, and I am sure had Foden been a regular for City and England and been out 3am partying, he would have gotten the same negativity as Sterling.

Another - Harry Kane has a complete mare in 2016 Euros , Sterling also struggled - the Kane mare was down to him taking corners where as Sterling was smashed from pillar to post

If Sterling was white he wouldn’t have got the sort of headlines seen over the years - the hatred towards him is full of racist undertones

But also, another way to look at it, Kane was top goal scorer (& captain!) so he contributed more than Sterling, and Sterling is generally disliked by the public and would sell more. I certainly didn't mind the sh*t Sterling was getting (not because his race, but for leaving us in the manner he did), but does that make me a racist for contributing towards the "race agenda" hate articles?

Anyway, I am sorry, I have to disagree, I really don't think the hatred towards him is full of racist undertones....unless we can be sure the writers & editors are racist. ..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3271: Dec 11, 2018 01:52:03 pm
      I am sure there are many positive articles written about Sterling when he was Foden's age, and I am sure had Foden been a regular for City and England and been out 3am partying, he would have gotten the same negativity as Sterling.

I think it’s clear you subscribe to the media persona of Sterling when the people who have actually met him or played with him quite clearly say it’s complete nonsense- Sterling got negative press for shopping in Primark , for buying breakfast, for buying a house for his mum , for getting engaged

But also, another way to look at it, Kane was top goal scorer (& captain!) so he contributed more than Sterling, and Sterling is generally disliked by the public and would sell more. I certainly didn't mind the sh*t Sterling was getting (not because his race, but for leaving us in the manner he did), but does that make me a racist for contributing towards the "race agenda" hate articles?

Anyway, I am sorry, I have to disagree, I really don't think the hatred towards him is full of racist undertones....unless we can be sure the writers & editors are racist. ..

In 2016 Kane wasn’t captain and didn’t score a single goal and it’s shame you seem ok with it all

The evidence is there for all to see
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3272: Dec 11, 2018 01:56:40 pm
      When people deny there is a problem with racism in football, it exacerbates the problem.

It's not as bad as it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's disappeared, "whataboutery" notwithstanding.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3273: Dec 11, 2018 02:00:10 pm
      I think he was very badly advised regarding how it appeared when he left the club - could’ve handled it better and achieved same result but he was 20/21.

That aside the media treatment is truly despicable and without question betrays and underlying inherent racism in the UK press and - let’s be blunt - large swathes of society.

Appalling.

Don’t get me wrong. I love it when we play them and Robbo rattles him into the air and onto his arse as an ex-player. That’s how it’s supposed to work - same with Torres and would be same with Suarez / Cou if we played them competitively.

His tattoos, taps and social activity are as irrelevant to me as the colour of his skin.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3274: Dec 11, 2018 02:03:26 pm
      I really don't think the abuse he gets is down to his race at all, I'd have to disagree with Carra and Neville on that. It is probably more to do with how the media portrays him and how he left us. Same with Ashley Cole and how he left Arsenal for a rival.

Both black fella. You’re kidding yourself.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3275: Dec 11, 2018 02:11:54 pm

We can't be sure they are, but we can't be sure they aren't either...especially when you see things like were pointed out how the white kid's story gets twisted in a positive and the story about the other guy is a negative. Pardon my pun, but it's likely not black and white....the truth is usually in the gray somewhere. I don't think everyone in the media is motivated by racial bias...but surely some of them are?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3276: Dec 11, 2018 02:12:39 pm
      I think he was very badly advised regarding how it appeared when he left the club - could’ve handled it better and achieved same result but he was 20/21.

That aside the media treatment is truly despicable and without question betrays and underlying inherent racism in the UK press and - let’s be blunt - large swathes of society.

Appalling.

Don’t get me wrong. I love it when we play them and Robbo rattles him into the air and onto his arse as an ex-player. That’s how it’s supposed to work - same with Torres and would be same with Suarez / Cou if we played them competitively.

His tattoos, taps and social activity are as irrelevant to me as the colour of his skin.

Wasn't his mum his advisor?
      There was an awful lot of negative media coverage about his move as well, a lot of which I see repeated here, notably the "greedy" tag, as if anyone would say no to a job that was offering twice the money and more chance of success.

It's a blight on the game and is only getting worse now that certain politicians, billionaires and wannabe "journalists" have once again enabled the rise of the far right.

As an Irishman, the abuse I got in the 70's and 80's in England was appalling, and I had to defend myself many times when thick cu*ts thought they were hard by virtue of drinking a few pints of lager.

No Dogs
      No Blacks
      No Irish.
      It really hasn't changed that much, but it's under the surface now, rather than being out in the open.
      That said, it's a minority who do it.
      Empty vessels make most noise and all that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3277: Dec 11, 2018 02:18:10 pm
      We can't be sure they are, but we can't be sure they aren't either...especially when you see things like were pointed out how the white kid's story gets twisted in a positive and the story about the other guy is a negative. Pardon my pun, but it's likely not black and white....the truth is usually in the gray somewhere. I don't think everyone in the media is motivated by racial bias...but surely some of them are?

Have a look at the daily mail, the express and a couple of other rags (not going to post the name).
      They are full of jingoistic bullshit, run stories about royalty every day, cry about the lost empire and employ some of the most appalling racists.
      It's not right across the media, but a few publications are certainly more about old empire and white supremacy than about news.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3278: Dec 11, 2018 02:19:05 pm
      Wasn't his mum his advisor?
      There was an awful lot of negative media coverage about his move as well, a lot of which I see repeated here, notably the "greedy" tag, as if anyone would say no to a job that was offering twice the money and more chance of success.

It's a blight on the game and is only getting worse now that certain politicians, billionaires and wannabe "journalists" have once again enabled the rise of the far right.

As an Irishman, the abuse I got in the 70's and 80's in England was appalling, and I had to defend myself many times when thick cu*ts thought they were hard by virtue of drinking a few pints of lager.

No Dogs
      No Blacks
      No Irish.
      It really hasn't changed that much, but it's under the surface now, rather than being out in the open.
      That said, it's a minority who do it.
      Empty vessels make most noise and all that.

Nah think it was Aidy Ward - who also fired a broadside at Brendan and the club.

Just played into the FSG PR machine at the time - which was toxic.

Totally agree otherwise mate.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3279: Dec 11, 2018 02:21:28 pm
      Nah think it was Aidy Ward - who also fired a broadside at Brendan and the club.

Just played into the FSG PR machine at the time - which was toxic.

Totally agree otherwise mate.

ahh, OK, I seem to remember there was a lot of talk about his mum giving him advice, but on the other hand, surely that's what any mum who wanted the best for her child would do.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3280: Dec 11, 2018 02:26:21 pm
      ahh, OK, I seem to remember there was a lot of talk about his mum giving him advice, but on the other hand, surely that's what any mum who wanted the best for her child would do.

Agreed
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3281: Dec 11, 2018 03:14:47 pm
      In 2016 Kane wasn’t captain and didn’t score a single goal and it’s shame you seem ok with it all

The evidence is there for all to see

I think it’s clear you subscribe to the media persona of Sterling when the people who have actually met him or played with him quite clearly say it’s complete nonsense- Sterling got negative press for shopping in Primark , for buying breakfast, for buying a house for his mum , for getting engaged

Apologies, I mis-read and thought you said 2018 World cup. But again, something to consider, Sterling left us that season, so there would be a no brainer to fuel the hate and gain more sales/clicks.

Also, the negativity for shopping at primark, buying breakfast, house, getting engaged etc, were they really such a negative spin? Even going back and reading some articles, some are not as negative as you think, and even if they were, they were countered by the broadsheet papers.

I just think Sterling is a hot topic for hate/dislike, and the media knows it sells, thus panders to the readers. Again, nothing to do with race imo.

Both black fella. You’re kidding yourself.

I rather explore why they are hated/disliked before pinning it down to race. Terry and Carroll got just as much bad press for years imo.

I have a friend working in mainstream media and a couple lower end writers, and you'd be surprised at how diverse it is, especially high up the executive levels! And we have to remember, these big companies are not run by or full of white nationalist. But I do agree, there are racists lurking everywhere, higher or lower levels, some probably with influence, some with not.

I personally perfer to explore all avenues before pulling out the racist card, for all we know, the editor/writers are probably minorities or married to one... or maybe not even racist? But I do get a sense the tabloid papers pander more to the readers rather than having a racist agenda.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3282: Dec 11, 2018 03:16:40 pm
      Apologies, I mis-read and thought you said 2018 World cup. But again, something to consider, Sterling left us that season, so there would be a no brainer to fuel the hate and gain more sales/clicks.

Also, the negativity for shopping at primark, buying breakfast, house, getting engaged etc, were they really such a negative spin? Even going back and reading some articles, some are not as negative as you think, and even if they were, they were countered by the broadsheet papers.

I just think Sterling is a hot topic for hate/dislike, and the media knows it sells, thus panders to the readers. Again, nothing to do with race imo.

I rather explore why they are hated/disliked before pinning it down to race. Terry and Carroll got just as much bad press for years imo.

I have a friend working in mainstream media and a couple lower end writers, and you'd be surprised at how diverse it is, especially high up the executive levels! And we have to remember, these big companies are not run by white nationalist. But I do agree, there are racists lurking everywhere, higher or lower levels, some with influence, some with not.

I personally perfer to explore all avenues before pulling out the racist card, for all we know, the editor/writers are probably minorities or married to one... or maybe not even racist? But I do get a sense the tabloid papers pander more to the readers rather than having a racist agenda.

If it walks like a racist and talks like a racist - it’s a racist.

Large sections of the media and the society they appeal to are inherently and triumphantly racist in the UK. There’s nothing to explore - that’s utterly self evident.

That’s what allows a Farage or a Yaxley-Lennon (to give him his real name) a foothold. From there the disaffected join......

Good luck to you - but you’re in denial in my opinion mate.
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018 03:20:57 pm by Scotia »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3283: Dec 11, 2018 03:41:48 pm

I have a friend working in mainstream media and a couple lower end writers, and you'd be surprised at how diverse it is, especially high up the executive levels! And we have to remember, these big companies are not run by or full of white nationalist. But I do agree, there are racists lurking everywhere, higher or lower levels, some probably with influence, some with not.

Sorry but you are a big part of the problem - by attempting to brush it off as “playing the race card” and denying there is an issue is exactly the problem people are pointing at.

Just in denial - maybe read too much Farage and Tommy Robinson
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3284: Dec 11, 2018 04:01:21 pm
      Anyone know what Dave Kitson said on Talksport regarding Raheem Sterling?.

Tyrone Mings refused to go on the show..

Edit: Kitson called out Raheem, claiming Raheem has made a target for himself with his social media pics..

Just check out Kitson’s Instagram,Facebook & other media picks..  :tosser:
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2018 04:06:36 pm by Shabs »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3285: Dec 11, 2018 04:05:17 pm
      posted a link in the racism in the premier thread.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3286: Dec 11, 2018 04:05:57 pm
      Anyone know what Dave Kitson said on Talksport regarding Raheem Sterling?.

Tyrone Mings refused to go on the show..

Paraphrasing as only glanced at a report online but along the lines of.........brought on himself with his social media image in early days........

Gammon misses the mustard shocker?!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3287: Dec 11, 2018 04:42:09 pm
      Large sections of the media and the society they appeal to are inherently and triumphantly racist in the UK. There’s nothing to explore - that’s utterly self evident.

That’s what allows a Farage or a Yaxley-Lennon (to give him his real name) a foothold. From there the disaffected join......

I 100% agree there are some things that are self evident. But with the media attacking Sterling, I don't think it's as black or white. There is always something to explore and to understand for me rather than automatically assuming it to be a race thing. And whilst I agree the likes of Farage, Yaxley-Lennon  etc are racist, I also like to dwell deeper and understand why they became so prominent.

Am I wrong in not to assume the guys who racially abused Sterling as racists? Whilst it was a racist abuse and rightly so they got condemned, how sure are we that they are racists? Are they part of the white nationalist group? Neo Nazi's? Was it a repeat offence? Heat of the moment? Anger problems? etc etc. I am personally not one to put someone in a category after one incident unless there are facts.

Sorry but you are a big part of the problem - by attempting to brush it off as “playing the race card” and denying there is an issue is exactly the problem people are pointing at.

There are issues in society for sure, and since Brexit, I have noticed a slight change and people becoming more vocally open on race issues more than ever, whether negative or positive, but I just don't see it in the Sterling agenda, sorry :( But hey, maybe I am wrong and you are right... I just don't think there is a way of knowing 100% , even going by history imo.

Good luck to you - but you’re in denial in my opinion mate.

Just in denial - maybe read too much Farage and Tommy Robinson

Maybe I am in denial and our country is full of and run by racist people, but as a person that experienced severe racism ( walking back home from school for 4-5 years and being racially abused everyday + other occasions) for 13 ish years (from 4-16), seeing my parents and family members being viciously racially abused (an incident happened couple of days ago with my dad whilst bloody walking with my 2 year old daughter :( ) and attacked for years back then, I have noticed a considerably change in society since with people becoming more aware of racism and tolerant to minorities (could probably count the number of times I have been racially abused on two hands since finishing school), and I like to think there is more good than evil because of my experience over the last decade.  I also like to think I have a good grasp of racism, and by no means am I getting that vibe from the Sterling agenda.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3288: Dec 11, 2018 05:11:09 pm
      I 100% agree there are some things that are self evident. But with the media attacking Sterling, I don't think it's as black or white. There is always something to explore and to understand for me rather than automatically assuming it to be a race thing. And whilst I agree the likes of Farage, Yaxley-Lennon  etc are racist, I also like to dwell deeper and understand why they became so prominent.

Am I wrong in not to assume the guys who racially abused Sterling as racists? Whilst it was a racist abuse and rightly so they got condemned, how sure are we that they are racists? Are they part of the white nationalist group? Neo Nazi's? Was it a repeat offence? Heat of the moment? Anger problems? etc etc. I am personally not one to put someone in a category after one incident unless there are facts.

There are issues in society for sure, and since Brexit, I have noticed a slight change and people becoming more vocally open on race issues more than ever, whether negative or positive, but I just don't see it in the Sterling agenda, sorry :( But hey, maybe I am wrong and you are right... I just don't think there is a way of knowing 100% , even going by history imo.

Maybe I am in denial and our country is full of and run by racist people, but as a person that experienced severe racism ( walking back home from school for 4-5 years and being racially abused everyday + other occasions) for 13 ish years (from 4-16), seeing my parents and family members being viciously racially abused (an incident happened couple of days ago with my dad whilst bloody walking with my 2 year old daughter :( ) and attacked for years back then, I have noticed a considerably change in society since with people becoming more aware of racism and tolerant to minorities (could probably count the number of times I have been racially abused on two hands since finishing school), and I like to think there is more good than evil because of my experience over the last decade.  I also like to think I have a good grasp of racism, and by no means am I getting that vibe from the Sterling agenda.

Not remotely questioning your integrity or intent PM.

Absolutely rejecting your conclusions - but they are yours to make.

Ignorance on the part of the offender is neither a mitigant nor a defence.

Peace out.

Quick Reply