Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)

Read 373398 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Raheem Sterling (Liverpool > Man City)
      Reply #3289: Dec 11, 2018 05:20:15 pm
      Not remotely questioning your integrity or intent PM.

Absolutely rejecting your conclusions - but they are yours to make.

Ignorance on the part of the offender is neither a mitigant nor a defence.

Peace out.

I understand you don't agree with my media's portray on Sterling, and I respect that (more so your views on society and minorities tbh :D ), but I just wanted to give my reason, and even looking back on my posts, had I not said I was a minority, maybe one would perceive me as a racist!!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3290: Dec 11, 2018 05:29:21 pm
      I understand you don't agree with my media's portray on Sterling, and I respect that (more so your views on society and minorities tbh :D ), but I just wanted to give my reason, and even looking back on my posts, had I not said I was a minority, maybe one would perceive me as a racist!!

That wasn’t my assertion PM - I just think we’re too tolerant as a society of racism as a whole.

The casual stuff has an insidious quality that needs stamping out.

I wish the public as a whole were as tolerant of poverty and addiction......
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3291: Dec 11, 2018 05:45:26 pm
      Anyone know what Dave Kitson said on Talksport regarding Raheem Sterling?.

Tyrone Mings refused to go on the show..

Edit: Kitson called out Raheem, claiming Raheem has made a target for himself with his social media pics..

Just check out Kitson’s Instagram,Facebook & other media picks..  :tosser:

It’s pretty much a white player saying a black player has himself to blame for the abuse

It’s no surprise with the Radio Version of the Scum
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3292: Dec 11, 2018 05:48:00 pm
      I 100% agree there are some things that are self evident. But with the media attacking Sterling, I don't think it's as black or white. There is always something to explore and to understand for me rather than automatically assuming it to be a race thing. And whilst I agree the likes of Farage, Yaxley-Lennon  etc are racist, I also like to dwell deeper and understand why they became so prominent.

Am I wrong in not to assume the guys who racially abused Sterling as racists? Whilst it was a racist abuse and rightly so they got condemned, how sure are we that they are racists? Are they part of the white nationalist group? Neo Nazi's? Was it a repeat offence? Heat of the moment? Anger problems? etc etc. I am personally not one to put someone in a category after one incident unless there are facts.

There are issues in society for sure, and since Brexit, I have noticed a slight change and people becoming more vocally open on race issues more than ever, whether negative or positive, but I just don't see it in the Sterling agenda, sorry :( But hey, maybe I am wrong and you are right... I just don't think there is a way of knowing 100% , even going by history imo.

Maybe I am in denial and our country is full of and run by racist people, but as a person that experienced severe racism ( walking back home from school for 4-5 years and being racially abused everyday + other occasions) for 13 ish years (from 4-16), seeing my parents and family members being viciously racially abused (an incident happened couple of days ago with my dad whilst bloody walking with my 2 year old daughter :( ) and attacked for years back then, I have noticed a considerably change in society since with people becoming more aware of racism and tolerant to minorities (could probably count the number of times I have been racially abused on two hands since finishing school), and I like to think there is more good than evil because of my experience over the last decade.  I also like to think I have a good grasp of racism, and by no means am I getting that vibe from the Sterling agenda.

Full respect PM

And maybe you see it from a different angle and just have a different opinion

I think the good thing is this is being put back into the mainstream to highlight there are still issues

From the banana being thrown at the Arsenal player and now the abuse at Sterling
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3293: Dec 11, 2018 06:11:53 pm
      I put a large portion of the blame on the government.
      From their "go home" vans to the "hostile environment" to the Windrush scandal.

It all plays a part in enabling racists, and of course, that's exactly what they were aiming for; "It's not our fault there's no money, those immigrants are nicking your jobs".
      Disgraceful.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3294: Dec 11, 2018 06:24:21 pm
      I put a large portion of the blame on the government.
      From their "go home" vans to the "hostile environment" to the Windrush scandal.

It all plays a part in enabling racists, and of course, that's exactly what they were aiming for; "It's not our fault there's no money, those immigrants are nicking your jobs".
      Disgraceful.

Agree the recent headlines with Brexit and appealing to a certain voter the Tory geverment and its instruments in the media have played a very large part in demonising ‘non white’.. But let’s be honest,it’s all about supremacy,the English (not all) believed that the Irish,Scottish & Welsh are beneath them, so what chance do people who have a different shade of skin & belief have to such belief..

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3295: Dec 11, 2018 07:22:17 pm
      Agree the recent headlines with Brexit and appealing to a certain voter the Tory geverment and its instruments in the media have played a very large part in demonising ‘non white’.. But let’s be honest,it’s all about supremacy,the English (not all) believed that the Irish,Scottish & Welsh are beneath them, so what chance do people who have a different shade of skin & belief have to such belief..

I find this incredibly insulting to the vast vast majority of English people who are good honest decent people. Your talking about a tiny percentage of people it just so happens there are 50 million English against about 5 million Scots, 3 million Welsh and 2 million N.Irish If you don't believe such things happen in other parts of the UK you are sadly mistaken and having lived in both Scotland and Wales I can assure you they also have their problems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3296: Dec 11, 2018 10:31:47 pm
      Totally agree with you KK. However, have you noticed he seems to have become one of the most hated players in the premier league now?  He appears to get booed  at most clubs when he plays now. Is it because of his success and that's he's improved??

He wasn't hated like this when he was playing for Liverpool. I too now have a dislike for him. My reason though is he's become a cocky tw*t on the field.

Think it’s just down to his attitude. At Liverpool he was quite grounded where he was young, he had an attitude but it wasn’t anything that would lead to him getting booed or anything. But the day he went to City he suddenly developed an ego as if he was above every other player it seemed, an ego he certainly wasn’t backing up with his performances in the first season. He’s an easy player to watch nowadays but a very difficult player to like.
      Maybe the way he runs too, runs like a complete tit.
      Just generally one of those players people can’t stand and it’s like other supporters know that booing him will really get under his skin, which I think it does.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3297: Dec 12, 2018 11:29:50 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3298: Dec 23, 2018 12:29:48 pm
      . Again, nothing to do with race imo.

I rather explore why they are hated/disliked before pinning it down to race. Terry and Carroll got just as much bad press for years imo.

That would be the same Terry who racially abused a Tottenham defender and Anton Ferdinand. In fact he was collared mouthing 'Black c**t' to the Spurs defender live on Super Sunday and F**k all was said.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3299: Dec 23, 2018 01:25:32 pm
      That would be the same Terry who racially abused a Tottenham defender and Anton Ferdinand. In fact he was collared mouthing 'Black C**t' to the Spurs defender live on Super Sunday and f**k all was said.

I thought a lot was said and wrote about at the time, but regardless of that incident, he still got a lot of sh*t throughout his career  by the press. I still don't think it's a racial agenda targeting Sterling by the media.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3300: Dec 23, 2018 01:47:09 pm
      I thought a lot was said and wrote about at the time, but regardless of that incident, he still got a lot of sh*t throughout his career  by the press. I still don't think it's a racial agenda targeting Sterling by the media.

It's not even a racial agenda, it's casual racism.

Terry deserved a lot of sh*t because he was an utter Grade A cockney tw*t!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3301: Dec 23, 2018 01:54:25 pm

And therein lies the problem.

Casual racism is so pervasive and insidious, that many don't even notice it.
      Until it's too late.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3302: Dec 23, 2018 02:10:36 pm
      And therein lies the problem.

Casual racism is so pervasive and insidious, that many don't even notice it.
      Until it's too late.

Exactly remember the snide remarks over his gun tattoo in the press before the world cup.

As for the Chelsea fans, their behaviour doesn't surprise me as that just seems them in a nutshell.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3303: Dec 23, 2018 02:11:49 pm

Is it really casual racism? I don't see anything that suggests it, I just see the media targeting one player that the majorty dislikes to gain more clicks/sales. I have seen the same repeated attacks on white players and even celebrities too. And maybe we should consider Sterling is a grade A tw*t as well?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3304: Dec 23, 2018 02:12:44 pm
      Exactly remember the snide remarks over his gun tattoo in the press before the world cup.

I don't see that as racism:( But I guess you do, nothing I can say about that I guess.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3305: Dec 23, 2018 07:35:03 pm
      Is it really casual racism? I don't see anything that suggests it, I just see the media targeting one player that the majorty dislikes to gain more clicks/sales. I have seen the same repeated attacks on white players and even celebrities too. And maybe we should consider Sterling is a grade A tw*t as well?

Don't remember Sterling ever shagging one of his teammates girlfriends behind the players back like Terry did, do you?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3306: Dec 23, 2018 07:59:42 pm
      I think anyone who defends Terry in anyway is always going to be on dodgy ground.
      As much as I don't have any real hatred for Sterling I understand after he left he wasn't popular however  I am always sort of drawn to people who find themselves victims I think its a very honourable but not often mentioned trait of scousers is that we really don't tolerate bullies. Its drilled into us as kids about standing up to bullies and Sterling is an easy target a bit like Lewis Hamilton he gets tremendous stick for being a rich young man who enjoys being with his friends when not in his F1 car.  I am old enough to remember the stick Howard Gayle used to get its really not nice to hear but even worse to be on the end of and 40 years on from that we really should be well past it .
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3307: Dec 23, 2018 08:18:30 pm
      Don't remember Sterling ever shagging one of his teammates girlfriends behind the players back like Terry did, do you?

It doesn't matter if he did or didn't, the point is, there are a lot that think Sterling is a grade A c**t , and writing about grade A cu*ts tend to sell.

Honestly, If I could see any hints of racism by the media, I would jump on board and call out the fuckers, but I just don't see it, sorry.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3308: Dec 23, 2018 08:29:31 pm
      It doesn't matter if he did or didn't, the point is, there are a lot that think Sterling is a grade A c**t , and writing about grade A cu*ts tend to sell.

Honestly, If I could see any hints of racism by the media, I would jump on board and call out the fuckers, but I just don't see it, sorry.

its subtle and persistent and that's way it dangerous as it makes it possible for people to suggest that anyone disagreeing is over reacting. Take it from an old white bloke these young men are still judged differently by some sections of society.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #3309: Dec 23, 2018 08:33:26 pm

PM - the gun tattoo story was pitched as celebratory regarding “perceived” gun culture amongst young blacks.

It’s actually about his father.

Honestly mate - how much clearer does it need to be?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3310: Dec 23, 2018 08:37:13 pm
      its subtle and persistent and that's way it dangerous as it makes it possible for people to suggest that anyone disagreeing is over reacting. Take it from an old white bloke these young men are still judged differently by some sections of society.

Yeah, no doubt they are around, and unfortunately, I don't think racism will ever go away.. well, not in my lifetime at least.

Anyway, even doing a quick search on the not so positive articles from tabloid papers on Sterling, the writers are a bunch of mixed set:

https://twitter.com/ClaireAVoice
      https://twitter.com/AnthonyRJoseph?lang=en
      https://twitter.com/stephlinning?lang=en
      https://twitter.com/katrinaturrill?lang=en
      https://twitter.com/sammcevoy?lang=en
      https://twitter.com/sundaymirrordan?lang=en
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3311: Dec 23, 2018 09:16:55 pm
      PM - the gun tattoo story was pitched as celebratory regarding “perceived” gun culture amongst young blacks.

It’s actually about his father.

Honestly mate - how much clearer does it need to be?

Doing a quick research, the main scourge's seem to be that one scummy paper (we all know which one) causing a scene (not read the article and not gonna), but also, P.Morgan was in on the act (in which he quickly got shut down by other Journalists) along with https://twitter.com/lucycope9?lang=en (gun activist) , but both pretty much shut up after Sterling gave some context to his tattoo. There is also Sky mis-quoting in which they apologised afterwards (can't find the article).

Even reading back on the articles on Sterling's tattoo, the defense seem to out weigh the attacks, especially from the main stream media. I also understand the controversy of the tattoo without any context and why it would be news, and I like to think any player regardless of race or religion would come under the same scrutiny.

Quick Reply