Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 21271 times
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #138: Mar 16, 2010 06:15:36 am
      Aquilani
      2009–    Liverpool    11    (1)

Lucas
      2007–    Liverpool    69    (1)

kind of self explanatory, just hope Aquilani keeps scoring c:

Whats that meant to prove? Two different types of players. Lucas has scored more goals than Reina in half as many games, yet Reina ALWAYS gets the nod. Self explanatory, no?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #139: Mar 16, 2010 06:18:10 am
      Really surprised how many people haven't voted for Torres. 2 goals and 2 assists (all quality) was enough to get my vote. Really unlucky not to score that peach from the left wing.

This was what we needed but i'm not confident heading into this week.

I think Lille will be a big game for us. We need to smarten up in defence. We played well but our defence fills me with little confidence and with the gaping holes i have seen in it all season i see Rooney posing a massive threat in the Mancs game. Also, Hazard and Gyan against Lille will be tough as they can exploit a gap.

I hope Carra is dropped and Sotis comes in for him. He is a calming influence and does the dirty work with less fuss than Carra.

Anyway, everything else was superb. From Torres to Pepe we were class (except Carra).
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #140: Mar 16, 2010 06:22:12 am
      ^^ I would have given it to Nando as well if I could, mine was more for the fact Alberto came in with still a lot of pressure on his shoulders and performed well. Honestly, would split it between Torres, Aquilani and Babel if I could.

And fully agree on Carra. F**k knows what's happening, but I reckon Sotis would have made a good chance at stopping that shot today.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #141: Mar 16, 2010 06:23:45 am
      A well deserved result and a vital 3 points.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #142: Mar 16, 2010 07:55:50 am
      I can't celebrate this match guys. We beat the league's whipped doormat. We are still losing to all mid-table teams (and fulham ;) ). F**ked up if you ask me. The fact that some are celebrating such a victory shows how our majestic team is in the wrong hands.

I know we played well, but still, no opposition worth "beating".

YNWA

I'd hate to be stuck in a pub on a night out with you....

That was some great football last night looking forward to soccer saturdays special Anfield edition next week.
      Team getting close to full fitness and the changing formation and constant movement of players was refreshing.
      Portsmouth tried to get in our faces early on but loved Aquilani and Maxi. Stayed up watching it on LFCTV and am in work now. Tonight and tomorrow on the sauce for Paddys just got epic.

Oh on a side note:
      Insua still has no pace.
      Johnson on the left
      Kelly on the right.
      QED
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2010 08:19:11 am by racerx34 »
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #143: Mar 16, 2010 08:11:13 am
      It was a pleasure to see players passing the ball and moving instead of standing still like in previous matches.I think Aquilani deserves credit the way he passed the ball around.Portsmouth may well be sh*te as mentioned by RedRoy but we have failed to knock these sort of teams over this season.
                                                        For me the players looked as if they wanted to win and that was the difference to previous matches.One further note it would be an injustice if Aquilani does not keep his place in the team after that performance.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #144: Mar 16, 2010 08:27:10 am
      Far to many Whoppers I had two next to me who didn't say a word all game, they couldn't of been watching the football cause we were up in the far reaches of block 306 bouncing to our hearts content. As for the comments about the noise level the Kop was loud tonight, loads of gaps everywhere else in the ground, maybe some of these moaning fans should make the trip and add to the atmosphere rather than listening to the espn mics !  :f_steam:

Ye cant say last night wasnt quiet apart from as I posted earlier the usual group in the kop. When ye can hear players calling team mates ye know its bad. Ye could hear 300 pompey fans singing "3 nil and ye still wont sing" jaysus who is getting tickets for these games
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #145: Mar 16, 2010 08:38:38 am
      Easily the best game this season, could have been 6 or 7 at least.  Admittedly Pompey were sh*te and didn't get close to any of our players but as they say, can only beat what's in front of you.  Some of the passing and movement between Aquilani, Babel, Maxi, Torres and Gerrard was breathtakingly good, so great to watch!

Its a credit to Aquilani's performance that Torres gets 2 goals and 2 assists but isn't really in the reckoning for MOTM.  Some of his early passes missed their targets but that didn't stop him from trying and his passing and movement was a pleasure to watch.  Special mention to Babel as well who is slowly but surely gaining confidence and showing glimpses of the player many tout him to be.  His link up with Aquilani especially was nice to see and perhaps a decent run in the team was all he needed. ;)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #146: Mar 16, 2010 09:28:18 am
      Only seen a 15 minute replay of the game but just from that you can see that it was a much improved performance. Spot on with your team selections Rafa.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #147: Mar 16, 2010 09:30:33 am
      It was a long time coming and I personally could never have invisaged seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course I am talking about the fact that our tunnel visioned manager actually benched Lucas and Kuyt. The result was great also! And the performance was good to boot. Funny how dropping two of yout most mundane players from the first eleven had such a drastic change to the teams dynamic. Many people myself included have been advocating a change like this to get the team 'ticking' again and looking a threat. Of course, we're not out of the woods yet regarding this one game and I expect Kuyt and Lucas to be back in the side at OT. Yet when we're facing teams we should be expecting to beat and by rights if we want to think about being a top four team, we should be thinking about beating sides like Portsmouth and others. Our manager should not persist with ordinary players who don't have an ounce of attacking threat in them.

I thought Aquailani came in last night and did a great job and even at this stage of his cameo'd Liverpool career you can see the difference between him and Lucas. His movement is top class and he actually looks quite comfortable on the ball in comparison to Lucas who looks uncomfortable. His runs, his passing last night was very good and his goal was excellently taken on his 'weaker' foot. He offered us more from midfield going forward and as I said it's been a painfully long time coming. I was glad to see the undroppable Kuyt dropped to the bench and Maxi looked much more of a threat than Kuyt ever does.

The football was good, Torres was looking for goals and not petulance, Gerrard looked something similar to his old self. The poor body language wasn't apparent and the team looked better for it.

For Lille I'd keep Kuyt and Lucas out of the side their hinderances and give El Zhar (sp) a game out wide if Riera isn't playing.

You shouldn't change a side like that after a performance and result like that, keep the momentum going Rafa!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #148: Mar 16, 2010 09:35:24 am
      You shouldn't change a side like that after a performance and result like that, keep the momentum going Rafa!

But he always does, that's just Rafa for ya :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #149: Mar 16, 2010 09:37:18 am
      He can't not.

Maxi cup tied, Masch injured.

Guess who plays in their positions.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #150: Mar 16, 2010 09:39:23 am
      I wondered why we won - now I realise it was because you hadn't watched us.

Hey! I did see the 4th goal go in!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #151: Mar 16, 2010 09:39:55 am
      He can't not.

Beat me to the punch. Raises hand to answer question... Is it Kuyt and Lucas.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #152: Mar 16, 2010 09:50:40 am
      But he always does, that's just Rafa for ya :)

And thats his downfall.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #153: Mar 16, 2010 09:52:20 am
      We had pace, creativity and more than 1 player getting into the box when the ball came in. All things we have lacked this year.

Babel always provided an option and drew at least 2 players whenever he got the ball.

Maxi is a very clevel player, always forward thinking and looking for the return ball.

Aquilani pass and moved all night long and was very impressive.

I havent mentioned the rest of the team as they have been regulars all year.

This team is the one we should be playing against the lesser sides.

LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #154: Mar 16, 2010 09:53:26 am
      He can't not.

Of course he "can't not" as Maxi is cup tied. Doesn't mean to say Kuyt should be anywhere near the starting eleven. If Rieira is fit play him and Babel in the wide areas. If not, give the young El Zhar a game, Kuyt will just stiffle us and f.cuk it up.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #155: Mar 16, 2010 09:54:45 am
      Of course he "can't not" as Maxi is cup tied. Doesn't mean to say Kuyt should be anywhere near the starting eleven. If Rieira is fit play him and Babel in the wide areas. If not, give the young El Zhar a game, Kuyt will just stiffle us and f.cuk it up.

I'd rather see benni on the left and move Babel to the right.
      Then have Lucas and Aquilani in the middle if Monster is out.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #156: Mar 16, 2010 09:59:46 am
      He can't not.

masch injured?
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #157: Mar 16, 2010 10:06:17 am
      Worth every minute of me staying up to watch that win.  Alberto MotM for me.  Well played guys.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #158: Mar 16, 2010 10:07:33 am
      It was a long time coming and I personally could never have invisaged seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course I am talking about the fact that our tunnel visioned manager actually benched Lucas and Kuyt. The result was great also! And the performance was good to boot. Funny how dropping two of yout most mundane players from the first eleven had such a drastic change to the teams dynamic. Many people myself included have been advocating a change like this to get the team 'ticking' again and looking a threat. Of course, we're not out of the woods yet regarding this one game and I expect Kuyt and Lucas to be back in the side at OT. Yet when we're facing teams we should be expecting to beat and by rights if we want to think about being a top four team, we should be thinking about beating sides like Portsmouth and others. Our manager should not persist with ordinary players who don't have an ounce of attacking threat in them.

I thought Aquailani came in last night and did a great job and even at this stage of his cameo'd Liverpool career you can see the difference between him and Lucas. His movement is top class and he actually looks quite comfortable on the ball in comparison to Lucas who looks uncomfortable. His runs, his passing last night was very good and his goal was excellently taken on his 'weaker' foot. He offered us more from midfield going forward and as I said it's been a painfully long time coming. I was glad to see the undroppable Kuyt dropped to the bench and Maxi looked much more of a threat than Kuyt ever does.

The football was good, Torres was looking for goals and not petulance, Gerrard looked something similar to his old self. The poor body language wasn't apparent and the team looked better for it.

For Lille I'd keep Kuyt and Lucas out of the side their hinderances and give El Zhar (sp) a game out wide if Riera isn't playing.

Good post.

I can remember people talking about Babel's touch could pass for a shot. Last night his touch looked impeccable, could see him raising his hand for the ball looking very eager. All these things are good signs for us, the thing about Babel; he can have a relatively ordinary  game and still produce goals. That's a sign of a really good player, he played well last night and like any attacking midfielder he's prone to lose the ball...ask the likes of Ronaldinho. But Babel is learning to know when to pass, and he's also tracking back showing a bit of determination. Really pleased with his performance, heard the commentator talking about his balls into the box but they were all in dangerous areas.

Aquilani, what can I say, in games like last night he will always do well. He has composure something that any real quality player has, that makes him make brilliant decisions on the ball. As many have said; his movement is just great! I mean he shows real hunger in getting into the box and even tracked back and did some defending. I am really looking forward to him partnering Masch more in the midfield. Seems eager to take the free kicks as well, that one that was central he looked up for it only to be denied by Gerrard. Aquilani is great lad, many would moan and act as if the world is caving in, but he has waited patiently for his time. And he took it well.

Torres..LEGEND!

Pepe LEGEND!

Gerrard needs some talking to!

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #159: Mar 16, 2010 10:12:47 am

Drop Kuyt for someone who has not played football in something like a year when we're chasing a game.

Okay, mate.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #160: Mar 16, 2010 10:16:47 am
      We should be playing that team against practically all teams. Attack is the best form of defence. I actually think Aquilani did a fair bit of tackling last night aswell. Going to watch it again when I get home it was that good.

Think their forward Piquionne played quite well. Lets hope that team gets a bit of a run together.

Quick Reply