Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 21262 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #184: Mar 16, 2010 04:14:26 pm
      F***ing great game for Aquilani, Maxi played very well, Torres was good, Gerrard is returning to form, Babel proving people wrong and Johnson back into the mixer, great play from the lads, very impressed by our new found link up play.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #185: Mar 16, 2010 04:26:39 pm
      Did anyone hear Aquilani giving his best English interview after the game by the way? :D

Yeah! Pepe was laughing at his English which was probably better than mine!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #186: Mar 16, 2010 05:12:12 pm
      I know it was Pompey and were supposed to beat them but regardless it was a good win.  We cruised to a 4 goal game and did what we needed to do.

Aquilani scored and hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I'm glad Maxi looked good and Torres was as usual, fantastic. So Good win.

Now lets try and get some momentum going again and secure a top 4.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #187: Mar 16, 2010 06:02:16 pm
      great win

torres captain of my fantasy team so a real bonus that :)
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #188: Mar 16, 2010 07:11:05 pm
      Thanks for the goals videos! Well done for posting them in here.
      All the goals bar Torres' first are pretty much half chances, which we took really well last night. Clinical finishes like those are what we have been missing lately.

As we don't do tap ins, high quality players/attackers with accurate finishing ability are really important for Rafa's plan.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,845 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #189: Mar 16, 2010 07:26:56 pm
      Was away yesterday and missed the game ! reading the comments above Aquilani played well and Nando ...was Nando linking up ,scoring ! great player, hopefully Aquilani gets more game time now ,i'd play him against the mancs .well done reds !!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #190: Mar 16, 2010 07:39:02 pm
      I voted for the Aquilani too

And I'll also third that Kenny, Babel was great too.

Did anyone hear Aquilani giving his best English interview after the game by the way? :D

I watched that last night on espn.com :D

F**k i laughed, gotta love Pepe - just cracking up laughing at Alberto in the middle of an interview. Reminded me of just a couple of kids having a giggle. Thats what i like to see in our team :)

Im still buzzing. Especially happy still for Alberto, his performance and then the goal will boost him hugely i think.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #191: Mar 16, 2010 07:42:10 pm
      What a joy to behold.  Thought I'd been transported back to last season.

Aquilani, what a star, just knew he'd come good eventually and didn't he enjoy scoring.

Well done lads, more of the same please on Thursday then double the effort on Sunday.  Let's keep that scum lot as far away from number 19 as possible.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #192: Mar 16, 2010 08:43:21 pm
      Was a massive improvement and if we carry this form on then we will easily win against Lille.

IMO, although the second half we only got the 1 goal and conceded, we were much better than the first half. The first half seemed to get off to the usual start, just passing it sideways and no real intent to push on for a goal. Was the same at 1-0 too but when we went 2 up it all changed, could see the players grow in confidence and it was clear we were going to get more goals. The second half saw some really good passages of play, especially between Gerrard and Aquilani, the one building up to Babel's shot that was put onto the bar was excellent.

The players done well to keep their cool too because of the amount of fouls they were doing, especially Brown who was intent on Rugby tackling players.

Stuart "I'm a dick" Attwell once again showed what a tit he is, how Brown wasn't sent off is beyond me and how we didn't get at least 1 penalty is beyond me.

I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself though because we have seen a good performance before this season and they haven't followed it up. Though should we carry this form on and improve it on Thursday I think it will give us a much better chance against the Mancs.

Wasn't too impressed with Carra though, he is the main one I would pick out, was getting caught out of position at times and he started laring at Masch or someone in the first half when they won a corner, he should have been supporting whoever it was.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #193: Mar 16, 2010 09:02:48 pm
      Drop Kuyt for someone who has not played football in something like a year when we're chasing a game.

Okay, mate.

Who hasn't played for a year?

So, your advocating playing Kuyt who has been playing sh.ite for a year... okay mate, whatever.

The fact he didn't play against portsmouth and the fact we played and looked like a team who could create and score goals exhibits the hinderance that Kuyt is.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #194: Mar 16, 2010 09:20:15 pm
      Well, well, well. About F***ing time! Rafa actually dropped Lucas and Kuyt! I am still buzzing from that performance last night, the last time i felt like this was last season. Did Rafa get a bang on the head?, or did he finally realise that Lucas and Kuyt wasn't working?. Now i'm not going to get carried away with it all, but what i saw was a breath of fresh air. Apologies in advance if i repeat previous posts at all, but i haven't got time to read through the thread posts (which i normally always do).

Only Rafa knows why he altered the personnel, but it's something the majority of us have been crying out for all season, and it was beautiful on the eye. I didn't want the game to end, it was an absolute joy to watch. That breath of fresh air i mentioned earlier had a name, and it was called Alberto Aquilani. What a joy it was, to watch someone in the middle of the park fizzing the ball around intricately and forcing the ball around with consummate ease. I thought the front four ( Torres, Gerrard, Rodriguez and Babel ) were awesome. I haven't seen as many backheels and flicks all season as i did in last night's game. The confidence was brimming, overflowing even, and Portsmouth had no answer to it. People go on about how Pompey looked sh*te, well let's be honest, any side is gonna look sh*te when they're being passed off the park, even Barcelona!

Not only did Aquilani's personal performance delight me, but i thought that Masch had a really quiet game. This is obviously a good point as Aquilani's offensive prowess completely alleviated the pressure on Masch as we kept the ball a lot more, something we have lacked with Lucas in the side. Another plus point was that Gerrard didn't have to drop deep looking for the ball, and his link play with Torres and Babel gave us a dimension we've been missing this season. Torres was awesome again and Babel showed progress again. I think the reason that Masch has been one of our best players this season has only served to highlight the fact that our ball retention from the middle has been sh*te.

What this game highlighted more than anything, is that Lucas and Kuyt should not be in the side. They are totally stifling the team, last night proved that more than anything. We played with freedom and dare i say it, looked like the Liverpool of last season.

My major worry is how Rafa approaches the next couple of games. Attack seems to work, sit back and counter, does not. Barring the United game of course. Last night we saw a glimpse of what can be achieved if we just let the players express themselves naturally. I just pray that Rafa's stubborness doesn't get the better of him again. It's 28 games too late Rafa, time to make up for lost time. I expect to see Lucas and Kuyt reinstated for the Lille game, a far too familiar and predictable scenario this season.

Well done Redmen, an awesome performance, playing the Liverpool Way. We must kick on from this and go out to win games rather than not to lose :kop5cf8koxp6:
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #195: Mar 16, 2010 09:44:12 pm
      Watched it again last night on LFC TV and I noticed the commentators were trying to play down the significance of how well we played saying it wa
      s only Portsmouth, I have to disagree with them if I'm honest.

Watching the game I don't believe it was because Portsmouth was poor, I honestly think it was because the passing and movement last night for the majority of the match simply made Portsmouth look that bad, they spent vast amounts of the game chasing shadows and some of the one touch football and interplay between the reds was breath taking at times.

Best Performance of the season no doubt and there was no lack of creativity, just plenty of movement and balls to feet and for me Aquilani was the star of the show, nearly everything good that happened in the match he was the catalyst in it, yes he had a couple of passes go astray, but that sometimes happens when you try the unexpected, great showing by the reds but most importantly Aquilani who can not be dropped now surely ?

Also thought Maxi had an outstanding game as did Torres as did Stevie, if only he had his shooting boots on, Babel again wasn't his best performance in a reds shirt but very much improved on recent showings and thought he done well, ran into one or two blind alleys and was greedy at times, but for me looked like he wanted to work hard for the team and to earn himself a place in the side and a well taken toe poke to top it off, Masch was brilliant, as was Johnson f**k it they all were, its hard to pick any one out who didn't perform, Insua gave me a nervy moment but Masch cleared it up, and the goal conceded.. I can live with that if this is a sign of turning the corner.

I was going to post something but this said everything I was thinking.  So I'll save myself the typing. Thought maxi was outstanding. 4-0 thursday come on lads
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #196: Mar 16, 2010 10:00:14 pm
      Was a bit disappointed with the crowd, they were pretty quiet again i think, even when we scored :-\
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #197: Mar 16, 2010 10:18:54 pm
      Don't want to put a downer on the result, but against a team that's definately going down and with nothin to play for, would expect a win at home, even if we're not playing well. It was the Torres show, 2 goals, 2 assists. No doubt he is our ace in the hole in the race for 4th. The rest of the lads did ok but you really can't read anything into it. Aquilani did nothing more than OK, but was nice to see him score, might just give him a bit more confidence. Babel did ok too, took his goal well. Carra looks a bit off form again though. The test is the game against Utd at the weekend. How will Rafa set about it? Will he do like Mourinho did tonight and look to play high up the pitch as well as be tight defensively. Inter were a big surprise, just shows what you can do when you are well organised, determined and have a quality player in the center :) (Schneider was excellent). That 4-1 away was the highlight of last year. I'd hope we could start with exactly the same side and try to take it to them, give the lads a vote of confidence and let them at it in a big game. How big a boost would a win against Utd be, would be fantastic, a bright point to remember in a crappy season. Coming out fighting won't be enough though, we'll need to string a few passes together. Should be interesting, lookin forward to it already :)
      bigmack123
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 170 posts |
      Reply #198: Mar 16, 2010 10:33:21 pm
      Cracking game by Alberto. I so hope for him and the club that he'll keep going and prove all the doubters wrong. I think he's got the talent to make Alonso forgotten but he is too fancy for my likings sometimes.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #199: Mar 16, 2010 10:53:41 pm
      Phew Stevie exonerated then.(Radio 5 live).
      Them tw**s on ESPN (Ever Stupid Presenting Nomarks)tried hard but failed in their quest to F*** Stevie.I'm relieved and NOW glad he TW***ed him (Brown)nice one.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #200: Mar 16, 2010 10:58:21 pm
      Well, well, well. About f**king time! Rafa actually dropped Lucas and Kuyt! I am still buzzing from that performance last night, the last time I felt like this was last season. Did Rafa get a bang on the head?, or did he finally realise that Lucas and Kuyt wasn't working?. Now I'm not going to get carried away with it all, but what I saw was a breath of fresh air. Apologies in advance if I repeat previous posts at all, but I haven't got time to read through the thread posts (which I normally always do).

Only Rafa knows why he altered the personnel, but it's something the majority of us have been crying out for all season, and it was beautiful on the eye. I didn't want the game to end, it was an absolute joy to watch. That breath of fresh air I mentioned earlier had a name, and it was called Alberto Aquilani. What a joy it was, to watch someone in the middle of the park fizzing the ball around intricately and forcing the ball around with consummate ease. I thought the front four ( Torres, Gerrard, Rodriguez and Babel ) were awesome. I haven't seen as many backheels and flicks all season as I did in last night's game. The confidence was brimming, overflowing even, and Portsmouth had no answer to it. People go on about how Pompey looked sh*te, well let's be honest, any side is gonna look sh*te when they're being passed off the park, even Barcelona!

Not only did Aquilani's personal performance delight me, but I thought that Masch had a really quiet game. This is obviously a good point as Aquilani's offensive prowess completely alleviated the pressure on Masch as we kept the ball a lot more, something we have lacked with Lucas in the side. Another plus point was that Gerrard didn't have to drop deep looking for the ball, and his link play with Torres and Babel gave us a dimension we've been missing this season. Torres was awesome again and Babel showed progress again. I think the reason that Masch has been one of our best players this season has only served to highlight the fact that our ball retention from the middle has been sh*te.

What this game highlighted more than anything, is that Lucas and Kuyt should not be in the side. They are totally stifling the team, last night proved that more than anything. We played with freedom and dare I say it, looked like the Liverpool of last season.

My major worry is how Rafa approaches the next couple of games. Attack seems to work, sit back and counter, does not. Barring the United game of course. Last night we saw a glimpse of what can be achieved if we just let the players express themselves naturally. I just pray that Rafa's stubborness doesn't get the better of him again. It's 28 games too late Rafa, time to make up for lost time. I expect to see Lucas and Kuyt reinstated for the Lille game, a far too familiar and predictable scenario this season.

Well done Redmen, an awesome performance, playing the Liverpool Way. We must kick on from this and go out to win games rather than not to lose :kop5cf8koxp6:

Agreed with every word of that, good post.

The thing that has bothered me is, why the feck did it take a man who earns five million pound a year to make a simple change or two 28 games in to the campaign. Granted Alberto hasn't been fit and was brought injured but even during this time it was plain to see Lucas was our weak link. He could of dropped Gerrard back there, especially as he's played Aurelio there before?And I never thought I'd see the day when Kuyt was left out of a Rafa teamsheet.

Have to add again that Aquilani had a great game and took his goal superbly, fantastic goal, first time hit on his 'weaker' foot. That will give him confidence. What doesn't give me confidence is that we've seen players before (Crouch springs to mind) bang in a hatrick had an exceptionally good game for next week to come along and find himself on the bench? It's fecking madness and this is one of the reasons I've had a bit of a grip with Rafa way before our 'brilliant' season last year. In the past the gaffer has rotated players OUT OF FORM!. Is it any wonder why some of them move on for pastures new. Some have said they cannot fathom him out, motivation levels drop if a player goes out on the field and has a blinder, then come next week is dropped. In other words why play my best if my form is not going to keep me in the team. Why go out there and produce the goods when it's probable that I'll be rotated out of the side next week. There becomes no need for impressing if the manager like Rafa thinks this way.

Therefore it is imperative Alberto starts against Lille, he's scored a goal had a great game and cannot be left out of the side by a manager who was known for changing his teams around as much as his underwear. If Alberto is dropped/rested than that will leave him perplexed as to why and will not be good for his mentality.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #201: Mar 16, 2010 10:59:58 pm
      Jeez some people are never happy are they! I'm sick of the "it's nothing special comments." I'm always happy with a Reds win no matter the team we play, but when we are having the season we are it's even better. And yet some still are thinking it's no big deal? :roll:

LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #202: Mar 16, 2010 11:15:27 pm
      Jeez some people are never happy are they! I'm sick of the "it's nothing special comments." I'm always happy with a Reds win no matter the team we play, but when we are having the season we are it's even better. And yet some still are thinking it's no big deal? :roll:

I'd ignore those comments, a win is a win and especially after the season we've had I'd take any kind of quality performance regarding who the opposition is.

It was a breath of fresh air all round, and people shouldn't be turning their cheeks because it was Portsmouth especially in the grand scheme of things.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #203: Mar 16, 2010 11:22:02 pm
      I'd ignore those comments, a win is a win and especially after the season we've had I'd take any kind of quality performance regarding who the opposition is.

It was a breath of fresh air all round, and people shouldn't be turning their cheeks because it was Portsmouth especially in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I try to as well - just can't believe I'm seeing them! I mean this was the first time we had scored more than twice in the league for 6 months. And we have played some opposition not much better than Pompey in that time, so for me it was a big day. Hopefully the start of something!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #204: Mar 16, 2010 11:43:40 pm
      haha..i just saw post match interview with pepe and aquilani. id really like to be pepe's friend. he seems like a cool dude to hang with.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #205: Mar 16, 2010 11:47:12 pm
      :laugh: He does doesn't he. Ever seen footage of him celebrating the euro win with Spain? Hilarious!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #206: Mar 17, 2010 10:45:01 pm
      Its nice to see our players laughing together- rather than looking dissapointed and looking at the ground!!

I agree with LFC RED- lovely post, honest and true.

Quick Reply