Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Maxi Rodriguez
      (5.7%)
      Alberto Aquilani
      (73.8%)
      Fernando Torres
      (17.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (0%)
      Ryan Babel
      (2.8%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (0%)

Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss

Read 21332 times
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Portsmouth
      Reply #46: Mar 15, 2010 10:14:13 pm
      I just farted and it smelt of roses!

Tonight just gets better and better!
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #47: Mar 15, 2010 10:16:00 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But seriously, that pass to Torres from Aquilani is just the reason why Lucas should not be played for the rest of the season. He himself can attest to that.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #48: Mar 15, 2010 10:18:25 pm

:lmao: i can smell it from Anglesey :lmao:
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #49: Mar 15, 2010 10:18:44 pm
      Brilliant performance. Maxi= Brilliant, Gerrard= Amazing, Torres= Frightningly Good, Aquilani= Outstading. I am over the moon with this result and performance. Importranty thing is, is not to get carried away and remember it was Pompey we were playing. But we have to start somewere. Aquilani was the stand out man for me alongside Maxi. Come on Liverpool! :)
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #50: Mar 15, 2010 10:23:46 pm
      Brilliant performance. Maxi= Brilliant, Gerrard= Amazing, Torres= Frightningly Good, Aquilani= Outstading. I am over the moon with this result and performance. Importranty thing is, is not to get carried away and remember it was Pompey we were playing. But we have to start somewere. Aquilani was the stand out man for me alongside Maxi. Come on Liverpool! :)

I can't believe i forgot to mention him but fair play to Babel. He worked his socks off tonight and looked very impressive and didn't moan when things didn't go his way. He just got his head down and worked for the team. Well played Ryan lad.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #51: Mar 15, 2010 10:24:22 pm
      Who's that genius who said that we don't win on Monday nights under Rafa?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #52: Mar 15, 2010 10:25:44 pm
      Some fella on Radio City is ripping in to Torres, saying he would pay the lads air fare to go to Real Madrid.

Hilarious.

I think he is the definition of a WUM.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #53: Mar 15, 2010 10:26:18 pm
      Definition of a tw*t more like.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #54: Mar 15, 2010 10:27:24 pm

To be fair, we haven't.

Until tonight, of course ;)
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #55: Mar 15, 2010 10:27:46 pm
      p*ss poor, dreadful , absolute crap ...........burley not the team , they were great.
      Please don't go negative Rafa , keep the side , keep the momentum.
      Stuff the mancs...........after lille
      Aquilani has to play
      11 men tonight not 10 (with kuyt)
      the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #56: Mar 15, 2010 10:27:53 pm

that was our very first and its one to remember thats for sure. aquilani's real princely entrance
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #57: Mar 15, 2010 10:29:46 pm
      Some fella on Radio City is ripping in to Torres, saying he would pay the lads air fare to go to Real Madrid.

Hilarious.

I think he is the definition of a WUM.

I think he was serious. Some fans really are clueless.

The only bad thing about tonight was the supposed LIVERPOOL SUPPORTERS. Everything else was beautiful.

Football the way it's meant to be played - eg. not in our half.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 1 Portsmouth: Post-match bliss
      Reply #58: Mar 15, 2010 10:33:39 pm
      I'll admit that I wasn't expecting a performance like that but really pleased we got it.

I thought that the front five of Torres, Maxi, Gerrard, Babel and Aquilani were excellent and with Aquilani we seemed to have more of a link between the midfield and forwards. Maxi gave us a lot more quality on the right and although I've criticised Stevie recently he played much better tonight.

The back four didn't look totally comfortable and will need to tighten up with tougher games ahead but I'm not in the mood to be too critical after such a good performance.

I just hope we carry this into the next games and that we see the same team as I don't really feel we need to worry about resting players with so few games left in the season. we need the results now not nicely rested players once the season is over and it's too late.

The only bad thing about tonight was the supposed LIVERPOOL SUPPORTERS. Everything else was beautiful.

Was only watching online Ken and it seemed bad. Was it as bad as it sounded?
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #59: Mar 15, 2010 10:34:28 pm
      that was our very first and its one to remember thats for sure. aquilani's real princely entrance

I know mate...same way it could be highlighted, same way I'm going to gloat about it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #60: Mar 15, 2010 10:35:07 pm
      People will say 'it's Pompey' but I think if we perform like that against anybody we stand a good chance.

Well, kinda like what I said.

Even though it was Pompey, it would be a confidence booster to the lads.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #61: Mar 15, 2010 10:35:14 pm
      Liverpool Comment: Where has this swagger been hiding? On Rafael Benitez's bench
      Aquilani and Babel show the Anfield crowd what they've been missing....
      15 Mar 2010 22:09:00
      By Neil Jones | Liverpool Correspondent

Fluidity? Check. Flair? Check. Three points? Check. Rafael Benitez has not had many perfect evenings this season, but how apt that on a night when Rob Lloyd, the prospective Portsmouth owner, was in the stands it would be Liverpool's secret millionaires who would come out to play.

"Leeds. Portsmouth. Liverpool?" read the cheeky banner in the away end, a reference to the respective traumas suffered by each club, but on this showing the obituaries for the Reds are a tad premature. It will be some time before their demise can be mentioned in the same breath as Pompey's, that's for sure.

Three first-half goals did the damage, and having waited what feels like an eternity for a performance of cohesion and conviction, Benitez will be buoyed at the sight of his attacking players producing displays worthy of their sizeable price-tags. Nadir Belhadj's stoppage-time goal was the only stain on a perfect evening for the Spaniard.

Alberto Aquilani grabbed his first goal for the club, and turned in a dominant, almost regal, performance befitting of his nickname - 'The Prince'. The Italian had managed just seven starts since his £17 million summer switch from Roma, but on his eighth full outing he issued the first repayment on that fee.

His goal - swept left-footed past late stand-in keeper Jamie Ashdown with class - was just reward for his overall display. Alongside the impeccable Javier Mascherano in the heart of midfield, the Italian was in sublime form. One early dart from deep was reminiscent of Steven Gerrard, and ended with a fabulously controlled volley veering just wide of Ashdown's far post.

Liverpool's problems in midfield this season have been plain to see. The fact that Mascherano and Lucas Leiva - with no league goals between them all season - have been the regular pairing has meant the Reds have lacked a threat. Aquilani changed that. His pass for Fernando Torres' second - Liverpool's fourth - was the icing on the cake.

He wasn't alone in excelling. Ryan Babel has found nailing down a starting berth equally difficult, but the Dutchman's recent renaissance continued as he collected his third league goal of the season, and tormented Anfield old-boy Steve Finnan with his pace and positivity. Had Ashdown not somehow tipped his stinging second-half strike onto the crossbar, Babel himself could have exited Anfield with the man of the match award.

And the usual suspects were at the party of course. Torres picked up two goals of typical class, taking his tally for the season to 15, whilst Gerrard was back to something like his rampaging best - though that did include a tangle with Pompey skipper Michael Brown that went unpunished by referee Stuart Attwell but might yet attract the attention of the league's disciplinary committee. Maxi Rodriguez offered a regular and consistent outlet down the right, aided amply by the marauding Glen Johnson. Portsmouth, to put it simply, were swamped.

For Liverpool supporters, it was a welcome sight to see such vigour and thrust. Portsmouth may have been willing victims, allowing the Reds room to strut their stuff, but the Kop has been all-too-familiar with pub football this season, so it was nice for them to get a taste of champagne.

That the win moves them back to within striking distance of fourth-placed Tottenham again is a fact almost lost in the midst of the performance. Anfield was eager to savour the kind of performance they have been deprived of for too much of this season.

And with a trip to Manchester United looming large on the horizon - following a European date with Lille on Thursday - the Reds' return to form could not have come sooner. What price 4-1 at Old Trafford?

http://talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2865/comment/2010/03/15/1834279/liverpool-comment-where-has-this-swagger-been-hiding-on

Another great peice from Neil Jones. 100% correct
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #62: Mar 15, 2010 10:35:27 pm
      Anybody got goal highlights?
      __ingo
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 122 posts |
      • Brazilian Red ;)
      Reply #63: Mar 15, 2010 10:35:43 pm
      Alberto and Torres, what a partnership!

Great win, really felt like I was watching a different team play today.

However, IT IS just Pompey. If we make the same defensive mistakes we did today against Man Utd, we can expect misery
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #64: Mar 15, 2010 10:36:37 pm
      Craig Burley hasn't half pissed me off.

What a tw*t.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #65: Mar 15, 2010 10:37:26 pm
      A good result tonight, important to go to Old Trampfart with a win.

the12thkopite
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 188 posts |
      Reply #66: Mar 15, 2010 10:37:31 pm

currently wearing out the rewind function on the remote
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #67: Mar 15, 2010 10:37:38 pm
      Thought maxi was our man of the match definitely put his name on that right wing spot for me..

Babel has no left foot so runs into dead ends having to come inside all the time but he can score and he worked hard so it balances out nicely

Aquilani was boss but had loadsa time,would like to see him in the utd game and see how it goes

Just great to be winning again :D
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #68: Mar 15, 2010 10:38:41 pm
      I rather enjoyed that. Well done the team on lifting our spirits. Big well done to Alberto fo his first goal. Shame the same team wont start against the Scum

Quick Reply