Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

The Elbow of Gerrard

Read 11209 times
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Re: The Elbow of Gerrard
      Reply #23: Mar 16, 2010 08:42:37 am
      Fergie with travel to the end of the Earth to make sure he misses sunday and gets the same punishment as Rio. And the FA will have no choice it was just as bad. Why oh why oh why Stevie you couldnt write a script.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #24: Mar 16, 2010 08:44:57 am
      Thought it was a bit silly from Gerrard, until I seen who it was lying on the ground.  Then I thought, what comes around goes around and all that. ESPN were right wankers about it though, I reckon Joe Royle shows worse bias than Andy Gray and thats F***ing saying something.

As mentioned the ref saw the incident and dealt with it how he felt so the FA can't punish Stevie.  Don't be surprised though if all this overhyped media coverage its getting and Fergie's influence at headquarters sway a decision to ban him for 3 games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Mar 16, 2010 08:52:53 am
      Interviewer even tried to get a comment off Rafa... Water from a stone young lady water from a stone
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #26: Mar 16, 2010 09:14:46 am
      Haven't seen it, way I look at it though, Stevie looks as if he is starting to care again! And that can only be good. F**k off Brown, useless F***ing c**t anyway.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #27: Mar 16, 2010 09:21:57 am
      Haven't seen the replay yet but it looked to me as if Brown was blocking the run of Gerrard on purpose, Stevie then raised his arms as if to throw him out the way to pass him, but caught him with some of his elbow?

It just looked like one of them things to me and I'll be suprised if Gerrard gets a ban for that. Then again, it might look worse on the replay then what i first thought of it

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #28: Mar 16, 2010 09:27:46 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #29: Mar 16, 2010 09:37:10 am
      I think its quite clear your honour that the accused merely acted in self defence as mr brown had already sought to attack him with his elbow. Quicker reaction times can only be thanked for mr gerrard not being injured in this instance
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #30: Mar 16, 2010 09:40:06 am
      I think its quite clear your honour that the accused merely acted in self defence as mr brown had already sought to attack him with his elbow. Quicker reaction times can only be thanked for mr gerrard not being injured in this instance

Here here ;D

You can clearly see Browns arm go back.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #31: Mar 16, 2010 09:41:56 am
      Lmao yeah, 3 match ban. Cya in a few weeks then stevie
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #32: Mar 16, 2010 09:43:28 am
      In a nutshell brown made the first move on Stevie  the best they could do him for is retaliation the next is this already stated i know, it was dealt with by the ref end of story in the same vein as you cant appeal a yellow when it is blatantly obvious that some are totally wrong .If the ref had been on top of things it wouldn,t have happened he was on Stevie all night, do people seriously think a top class player is going to take sh*t the whole game and not have a dig back could have been costly but it wasn,t so lets move on to the next challenge.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #33: Mar 16, 2010 09:43:38 am
      Did you see Brown when he went off the field... mouthing "3 match ban"
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: Mar 16, 2010 09:45:38 am
      Well in Stevie.

You reap what you sow Mr Brown. :f_wah:
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #35: Mar 16, 2010 10:16:07 am
      I think he needs a rest anyway, he needs to sort his head out properly. That elbow was very foolish and it was blatant, I'm not one to turn a blind eye because he plays for us and he's our captain. It was stupid and uncalled for, really classless. If it were some rag like Neville that did it, we'd be spraying comments of cu*ts in his direction. Gerrard's behaviour of late has not been captain like and he needs to sort it out or lose it to Pepe.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #36: Mar 16, 2010 10:16:29 am

Well it's quite simple really to me....

0:09  In that clip, Brown checks Gerrard to see where he is in order to cynically block him. Gerrard is anticipating the ball. Brown on the other hand is not looking at the ball at this stage only where Gerrard is.

0:10 they clash. Brown as guilty as Gerrard here I think as he also raises an arm. Gerrard is frustrated as if he's saying ' get the **** out of my way'. Gerrard does give him a tonk but that also might be his running arm enthusiastically following through  ;D

O:11 Brown overreacts

The F.A won't take this further I think.....Just the media on our backs again

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #37: Mar 16, 2010 10:20:01 am
      Brown was lifting his arm towards gerrard too, Stevie got in first if ye like. Hes a little gimp that Brown delighted Stevie decked him.

Fook off ESPN trying to get Stevie suspended

Exactly.. They both go to hit each other but Stevie being Stevie "Went in ard blud".. hahaha

The thing is, i cringe everytime i hear skysports milk the incident and cant help but think everytime they do this they put more pressure on the FA to do something..
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 16, 2010 10:26:03 am

Exactly.. They both go to hit each other but Stevie being Stevie "Went in ard blud".. hahaha

The thing is, I cringe everytime I hear skysports milk the incident and cant help but think everytime they do this they put more pressure on the FA to do something..

My feeling entirely - wish they'd leave the bloody issue alone!
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #39: Mar 16, 2010 10:31:06 am
      Well it was a clear elbow, but the player was turning into gerrard raising his arm... Gerrard reacted and clattered him, good on him
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #40: Mar 16, 2010 10:35:32 am
      Brown was clearly trying to block Stevie's run so both are equally at fault but Stevie gets more attention because we were attacking.
      Leon_Tricker
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #41: Mar 16, 2010 10:37:39 am
      Pompey fan here in peace.

Gerrard would be in my top 10 world midfielders, would be first on the England team sheet every time for me, and I would argue he is the finest captain in the Premier League. Michael Brown is one of my least favourite Pompey players ever and throughout his career has been a dirty player. He always seems to be on a mission to get sent off, and I just don't like his attitude.

So, as usual, Brown deserved a smack in the mouth last night!

However...

I watched the game in the pub and saw a number of replays. The forearm to the back of the head by Gerrard on Brown was a straight red card. Like I say, Brown deserved it, but you can't hit another player in a completely off the ball incident and expect to get away with it (either during the game or afterwards.) 'Two wrongs...' and all that.

What I don't get is:

1. Why Gerrard would do something like that when you were thrashing us - just laugh at Brown and tell him his team is getting beaten again and he's getting relegated!

2. Even stranger, Gerrard knows the game against Manure is at the weekend and that if he got caught he would miss a vital match.

3. He surely knows how important he is to the team, and a three match ban would weaken the push for fourth place.

I understand that in the heat of the battle the above points wouldn't be at the forefront of your mind, but I'm surprised that Gerrard would lose his cool like that when there is so much at stake. As an outsider looking in I think this is evidence that Gerrard has too much pressure on him.

Let me be clear - even as a Pompey fan I don't like Brown, I think Brown deserved a dig last night, I Love Gerrard as a player, and the last thing I want is your team to be weakened by Gerrard being banned (partly to deny Manure points at the weekend; partly to hopefully deny Spurs fourth place).

But... looking at the incident objectively I do think it was a red card and I don't think the FA can let incidents like that go unpunished.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #42: Mar 16, 2010 10:38:42 am
      if the ref does not mention it in his report
      then the fa cant do anythink about it
      the ref had a good game
      but he let brown off alot last night
      so  a good job  gerrard let him know he was still on the pitch
      good thing rafa subbed him right after
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43: Mar 16, 2010 10:45:28 am
      Pompey fan here in peace.

Gerrard would be in my top 10 world midfielders, would be first on the England team sheet every time for me, and I would argue he is the finest captain in the Premier League. Michael Brown is one of my least favourite Pompey players ever and throughout his career has been a dirty player. He always seems to be on a mission to get sent off, and I just don't like his attitude.

So, as usual, Brown deserved a smack in the mouth last night!

However...

I watched the game in the pub and saw a number of replays. The forearm to the back of the head by Gerrard on Brown was a straight red card. Like I say, Brown deserved it, but you can't hit another player in a completely off the ball incident and expect to get away with it (either during the game or afterwards.) 'Two wrongs...' and all that.

What I don't get is:

1. Why Gerrard would do something like that when you were thrashing us - just laugh at Brown and tell him his team is getting beaten again and he's getting relegated!

2. Even stranger, Gerrard knows the game against Manure is at the weekend and that if he got caught he would miss a vital match.

3. He surely knows how important he is to the team, and a three match ban would weaken the push for fourth place.

I understand that in the heat of the battle the above points wouldn't be at the forefront of your mind, but I'm surprised that Gerrard would lose his cool like that when there is so much at stake. As an outsider looking in I think this is evidence that Gerrard has too much pressure on him.

Let me be clear - even as a Pompey fan I don't like Brown, I think Brown deserved a dig last night, I Love Gerrard as a player, and the last thing I want is your team to be weakened by Gerrard being banned (partly to deny Manure points at the weekend; partly to hopefully deny Spurs fourth place).

But... looking at the incident objectively I do think it was a red card and I don't think the FA can let incidents like that go unpunished.

" Looking at it objectively" you'll notice brown looking for gerrard, raising his elbow and getting what he deserved. END OF
      Leon_Tricker
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #44: Mar 16, 2010 10:55:26 am
      Quote from racerx34
      " Looking at it objectively" you'll notice brown looking for gerrard, raising his elbow and getting what he deserved. END OF

Disagree. There is a difference between raising your arm to someone's chest (which Brown did) and aggresively smashing your forearm into the back of someone's head.

Steven Gerrard elbows Michael Brown

I agree Brown deserved it, but in the modern game you just can't do what Gerrard did and expect to get away with it.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #45: Mar 16, 2010 11:06:44 am
      Brown was being a complete w@nker all night, and just before Gerrard connected with him Brown was clearly raising his elbow to shield off Gerrard so he got what he deserved! Stevie should have more sense than that by now, and he was lucky not to get the line.

He's not been playing great but hopefully he comes out fired up against the scum.

He should have saved his elbowing for Rat boy on sunday!!!

Quick Reply