Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

RAM Upgrade Help.

Read 2308 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      RAM Upgrade Help.
      Mar 26, 2010 12:39:53 pm
      How easy is it to fit new RAM to a PC? Seriously? Is it just a switch off, bang the back off and slot it in job or is there a risk of blowing yourself and subsequently your computer up? And I'm talking caveman style computer knowledge here. I can arse about with it and fix easy things but after that I'm useless and will probably take out half of Walton.  

I have one PC that I want to upgrade, and possibly my own because I just fancy having more than 2gb RAM.  Anyone did it and can reassure me I have a good chance of survival?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: RAM Help.
      Reply #1: Mar 26, 2010 12:41:18 pm
      Just bring it to a computer repair place and the can upgrade the ram. Only becomes an issue with Dell otherwise its a standard item to replace
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: RAM Upgrade Help.
      Reply #2: Mar 26, 2010 01:07:47 pm
      It's pretty easy, I'm a noob when it come to hardware as well, but I've upgraded RAM before. First you'll need to figure out what kind of RAM you need and you need to figure out if your computer, your motherboard,  can even handle more RAM, and if so, how much more. You can go to crucial.com for some help there. Then just order them cheap online.  Then there's the handling of the RAM, the trickiest part is static electricty, it can ruin the RAM. So it's transported in anti static packaging, and you have to ground yourself when putting it in. There's plenty of stuff to be found on all this online, google is your best friend. But yeah, I thought it was easy myself. However, if you have caveman style computer knowledge, then I'm not sure :P
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #3: Mar 26, 2010 02:04:31 pm
      First you'll need to get the details of your RAM. I mean whether it is DDR1/2/3. Plus you'll need to check how much RAM your motherboard can accommodate.
      Other than that, its nothing. You just have to remove the old RAM and put in the new one. No chance of blowing yourself up. :P

P.S. It never blew up for me, so maybe you should be safe too. ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2010 02:14:59 pm
      Then there's the handling of the RAM, the trickiest part is static electricty, it can ruin the RAM. So it's transported in anti static packaging, and you have to ground yourself when putting it in. There's plenty of stuff to be found on all this online, google is your best friend. But yeah, I thought it was easy myself. However, if you have caveman style computer knowledge, then I'm not sure :P

:D

So as long as I've grounded myself I, and Walton, should be fine? ;)

I've Googled it and they're back and forth with regards to grounding yourself. 'Touch the inside of the case, but it may not be safe, may not work, etc.' Not very consistent are they? :D
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #5: Mar 26, 2010 04:24:36 pm
      All you do is as the others have said, check what type of RAM you need and how much your motherboard can handle, usually if you don't have anymore slots left to fit RAM into it's a sign :D then just turn the system off and slot it in.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #6: Mar 26, 2010 05:34:32 pm

So as long as I've grounded myself I, and Walton, should be fine? ;)

I've Googled it and they're back and forth with regards to grounding yourself. 'Touch the inside of the case, but it may not be safe, may not work, etc.' Not very consistent are they? :D

You should be fine, I never had any issues, don't know anyone who has either. Let's say you screw up, worst case scenario, you ruin your RAM, you and Walton should be fine ;D I've also read alot of different things, like touch the case but leave the comp plugged etc. Probably best to turn comp off, unplug and ground yourself through something else. I know plenty of people who changed RAM without grounding themselfs, so I wouldn't be all that worried about it.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Mar 26, 2010 06:57:49 pm
      You should be fine, I never had any issues, don't know anyone who has either. Let's say you screw up, worst case scenario, you ruin your RAM, you and Walton should be fine ;D I've also read alot of different things, like touch the case but leave the comp plugged etc. Probably best to turn comp off, unplug and ground yourself through something else. I know plenty of people who changed RAM without grounding themselfs, so I wouldn't be all that worried about it.

It's just me flapping. I read all that stuff and I get leccy shocks off stuff all the time so I think I'm a high risk case for blowing up my PC and my district. ;)

I'll get some more RAM next month and do it then.

Although I've just done a scan on my own PC on Orcalogic.co.uk and I have no slots left as I have 2 x 1Gb already. :D To upgrade this I'd have to replace them with 2Gb cards. :D

Might just stick to the Missus' then. ;)

Quick Reply