Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Europa League Quarter/Semi Final draws...

Read 11067 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Europa League Quarter/Semi Final draws...
      Reply #138: Mar 19, 2010 02:26:55 pm
      Sounds good to me.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #139: Mar 19, 2010 02:39:51 pm
      I had a dream last night that we drew Benfica in the Quarter's and Athletico Madrid in the Semi's, thus giving Fernando the added desire to win the Quarter final tie !

AHEM !

I posted this earlier in the 'Europa League who cares' thread, just call me the dreamcatcher !
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #140: Mar 19, 2010 02:43:08 pm
      I had a dream last night that we drew Benfica in the Quarter's and Athletico Madrid in the Semi's, thus giving Fernando the added desire to win the Quarter final tie !

AHEM !

I posted this earlier in the 'Europa League who cares' thread, just call me the dreamcatcher !
      Can you dream us winning everything next season and getting taken over by some billionare Arab?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #141: Mar 19, 2010 02:45:03 pm
      Can you dream us winning everything next season and getting taken over by some billionare Arab?
      TBH my dreams are not normally the kind you can discuss on a general thread ! ;)
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #142: Mar 19, 2010 02:57:05 pm
      TBH my dreams are not normally the kind you can discuss on a general thread ! ;)
      Lucky guy. Hope that I never have to find out what you dream if Nando scores a hattrick, though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #143: Mar 19, 2010 03:00:56 pm
      Imagine what the Benfica/Valencia/Atletico forums are like!!! Id say something like " f**k sh** balls arse w**k we got Liverpool" but only in Portugese and spanish  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #144: Mar 19, 2010 03:19:46 pm
      To be honest I'm not happy with the draw, cause if it wasnt us to win the Europa League, I would like Benfica to do so. They're playing some very nice football this season and I like a few of their players.

But obviously I have a lot of confidence we'll beat them as we are very capable of beating any team in this competition. We seem to be getting back to our best form and Liverpool in Europe are always specials occasions. I'm sure the players will want to go all the way to the final.

As I said, Benfica are in very good form in their home league - they play a nice passing, attacking style, which we should be aware of, and take advantage of their faults.

This is their usual lineup:

Quim (Julio Cesar)
      Maxi Pereira - Luisão - David Luiz - Coentrão (Cesar Peixoto)
                              Javi Garcia
                  Ramires       -        Di Maria
                             Pablo Aimar  
                         Saviola - Cardozo

A few random comments about their players :D

Cardozo is one of my favourite players. Capable of scoring many goals, play as a target man, and also create chances for his teammates with great vision. Di Maria is a good left midfielder, who has recently been linked to Chelsea. Ramires is a Brazilian international, strong midfielder who helps defence and attack. Javi Garcia is a good defensive midfielder that Real Madrid probably regret letting go. Saviola will score thousands of goals in Portugal, but I still wont be convinced... against Marseille he was sh*t as I expected.

I'm not a big fan of Luisão, although he seem to be one of the fans favourites and the team captain. David Luiz is a promissing CB though. Maxi Pereira was their best player in the tie against Marseille, but on the left they've got 2 midfielders playing out of position (Cesar Peixoto or Fabio Coentrão), much more attacking minded.
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #145: Mar 19, 2010 03:28:34 pm
      Looking forward to what should be a cracking tie..
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #146: Mar 19, 2010 03:33:16 pm
      Benfica is pretty strong actually, the current leader of Portuguese League, would possibly play in the Champions League next season.

Having said that, if we can show up on the two ties, we should be alright. It looks to be tough all the way to the final.

For those who are thinking of Liverpool vs Fulham in the final, what have you been drinking? Fulham should not be even mentioned in the same breath of Liverpool, they don't belong to Europe, let alone to play them in the final of European competition. It's only Fulham ffs!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #147: Mar 19, 2010 03:37:02 pm
      Benfica are a quality outfit, becoming an emerging force in Europe. Should be a good game of football, some good little players on show for both sides.

Would take a 2-1 loss in Portugal, an away goal will be vital here IMO.

What is this rubbish about Fulham not belonging in Europe, I was well happy they won!! Who doesn't like Fulham? Pretty much everyone wants to see Fulham do well, was buzzing for them!!!

Fulhma belong in Europe, course they do.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #148: Mar 19, 2010 03:40:00 pm
      Happy with the tie, but Benfica are no mugs.

Angel Di Maria has always impressed me when he has played.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,672 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #149: Mar 19, 2010 03:43:00 pm
      No one will be able to say we got the easy run.
      Bring it!
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #150: Mar 19, 2010 03:53:47 pm
      For those who are thinking of Liverpool vs Fulham in the final, what have you been drinking? Fulham should not be even mentioned in the same breath of Liverpool, they don't belong to Europe, let alone to play them in the final of European competition. It's only Fulham ffs!

If you forgot, they beat us this season, so they aren't that sh*t as you make them look.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #151: Mar 19, 2010 03:55:26 pm
      If we beat Benfica then Torres could be going back to madrid, that would be nice for him.

Wonder how he would feel about scoring against Athletico?? I doubt he would celebrate much.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #152: Mar 19, 2010 03:55:43 pm
      We got possibly the hardest tie but in current form we'll breeze through easily. If we wanna win it we have to beat the best anyway....
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #153: Mar 19, 2010 03:58:23 pm
      Imagine what the Benfica/Valencia/Atletico forums are like!!! Id say something like " f**k sh** balls arse w**k we got Liverpool" but only in Portugese and spanish  ;D

Gave me a giggle that.  ;D

No pushovers these Benfica chaps. But I think for about the umpteenth time, we show the bitters how to do a job properly in Europe.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,988 posts | 5046 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #154: Mar 19, 2010 04:16:47 pm
      Excusa moi,i from Benfca iam sheeting eet to plaz leeverpol in ze euro coppa ze playarz cez le Torrez,gerrordo  en masckeranto en peepe reeina en Babola, ze avenona chanza ov veening......This is a txt from my wee pal Luigi le sardine from Portugal, just a wee insight to what would be said in the Benfica forum, As Bily1 says its on its way.....We are going to win it...Not if... We are...Believe people..Just believe
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #155: Mar 19, 2010 04:18:41 pm
      Excusa moi,i from Benfca iam sheeting eet to plaz leeverpol in ze euro coppa ze playarz cez le Torrez,gerrordo  en masckeranto en peepe reeina en Babola, ze avenona chanza ov veening......This is a txt from my wee pal Luigi le sardine from Portugal, just a wee insight to what would be said in the Benfica forum, As Bily1 says its on its way.....We are going to win it...Not if... We are...Believe people..Just believe

Good skills billythered.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #156: Mar 19, 2010 04:23:41 pm
      If we beat Benfica then Torres could be going back to madrid, that would be nice for him.

Wonder how he would feel about scoring against Athletico?? I doubt he would celebrate much.

To be honest i would rather Athletico went out. Don't fancy our defence trying to cope with Aguero the way they have been playing this season.

Anyone who says this competition is easy couldn't be more wrong, probably just as difficult as the Champions League with the teams left in it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,988 posts | 5046 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #157: Mar 19, 2010 04:27:18 pm
      Cheers Redkenny
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #158: Mar 19, 2010 04:35:12 pm
      Bring on the Benefica :)

And if we get through the semis

bring on Rafa's ex team or nando's ex team :D
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #159: Mar 19, 2010 04:49:30 pm
      Everyone keeps saying Athletico! It's Atletico!

Get it right. Or I'll have to to sort you out.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #160: Mar 19, 2010 04:51:59 pm
      Either way - it's spanish oppo in the semi...

Quick Reply