Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

How much do we need to spend in the Summer to compete next season?

Read 8907 times
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      How much do we need to spend in the Summer to compete next season?
      Mar 19, 2010 08:24:48 pm
      Was just thinking about this now as I see reports linking Riera with Spartak and CSKA Moscow for a fee of around £8 million. If we sold him with what we made in January from the sale of Dossena and Voronin. Intially this should mean we have £15 million to spend that is before any additional sales or any money that maybe come with investment into the club.

I know I'm presuming a lot here with the owners but I expect them to have relinquished some control by the Summer. I personally think we need a left back, another striker even with our new Serbian hitman and I think a left midfielder who can play on the right as well, someone maybe like Silva, Mata or Turan.

Would love to see us sign someone like Cissokho from Lyon at left back. When it comes to a striker would love Villa or Higuain but know it is not going to happen. I think with 3 big signings in these positions we could defo compete what do the rest of ye think.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Re: How much do we need to spend in the Summer to compete next season?
      Reply #1: Mar 19, 2010 08:47:49 pm
      Well... being any other top club there should be at least £10 - £20 million a season regardless of who was sold or not, but seeing as the Yanks are tighter than a ducks arse this was never going to be a reality.

I'm hoping that this season has been an eye opener for them, it costs money to make money, they cant just come in and tear the club apparnt selling players (assets) and expect to carry on next season and see the same kind of income from competitions.

Il'd love to see something like £20-£30 million, to strenghtern our fringe players, we have been such a shallow team in the past couple of years, il'd also like to see at least one luxury signing such as another top/world class goalscorer to play alongside/replace Nando is hes not availiable or a world class deep lying play maker, someone who will be the engine room of the team, something we have been lacking since Xavi left.

However, actually seeing this happen is currently unimaginable, the way we have been going we will ship out Reira and maybe a few others and bring in another couple of "aging" free transfers or cheap deals which will once again see us struggle!

I dont want to sound pessamistic but you can only go on what you see and at the moment, i see H&G using us to service the RBS debt :(
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Mar 19, 2010 09:06:04 pm
      £30 million would be a good amount and considering if we will have £15 million if we sell Riera surely it wouldn't be that unreasonable to expect us to spend at least £30 million in the Summer.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #3: Mar 19, 2010 09:20:26 pm
      £30 million would be a good amount and considering if we will have £15 million if we sell Riera surely it wouldn't be that unreasonable to expect us to spend at least £30 million in the Summer.

Have you not met our owners?  :P

But in all seriousness we should be expecting that kind of money if we expect to finish in the top for and do well in Europe, whether or not this happens is a completly different matter! but heres hoping!!
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 19, 2010 09:25:55 pm
      I'd love to see Silva and Villa sign :(

Probably need about 60M for that to happen though..
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #5: Mar 19, 2010 09:42:29 pm

I'd love to see both of them sign too.
      Too quality players. But as you said 60M, just ain't gonna happen unfortunately.
      SODMG
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts | -1 
      • S.O.D Money Gang
      Reply #6: Mar 19, 2010 09:59:49 pm
      To challenge next season we need at least 4 or 5 world class players. That would cost 100's of millions of pounds and we just don't have that so yet again we won't be able to compete next season.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Mar 19, 2010 10:08:46 pm
      To challenge next season we need at least 4 or 5 world class players. That would cost 100's of millions of pounds and we just don't have that so yet again we won't be able to compete next season.

I'd say two or three world-class players. So between £35m and £55m.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #8: Mar 19, 2010 10:30:40 pm
      I'd agree with most of what's been said, I think we are 3 players short of a really good side, left back, winger and a back up striker ,£ 40 million should be about right ,probably find that Rafa will get £ 20 if he's lucky!...just hope Masch,Nando ,stay !
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 19, 2010 10:42:16 pm
      I'm already braced for us spending zero in the summer - so whatever little we do spend will be a bonus in my eyes
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #10: Mar 19, 2010 10:43:22 pm
      I reckon Aguero from Athletico would be a brill signing obviously with the caveat he is related to Maradona
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #11: Mar 19, 2010 11:02:02 pm
      Honestly have no idea - last years transfer period saw some hugely outrageous fees being bandied about, so it's quite hard to say. I think something between 30-50m, and then that would be just for 2-3 world class players, and then if we had to sell then we would not really have added to any depth.

Not getting my hopes up anyways.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #12: Mar 19, 2010 11:05:07 pm
      By rights it should be 20 million standered chartered and 15 million from Riera Doss & Voronin so theres 35 million.

But that will disappear re-knewing existing players contracts so we'll get 6 million and operate a transfer profit again most likely.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,487 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #13: Mar 19, 2010 11:22:04 pm
      I reckon Aguero from Athletico would be a brill signing obviously with the caveat he is related to Maradona

And where we gonna stump up the cash for him, and his wages? :-\
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #14: Mar 19, 2010 11:42:54 pm
      I seriously cant see us spending a lot this summer, it all depends on this 'War Chest' that Twit & tw*t have been quoted to be giving Rafa. I would like to see us spend as much as we can on strenghtening the squad and adding some depth, noteably the addition a suitable, proven replacement for Nando, a first choice, reliable Left Back.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #15: Mar 19, 2010 11:45:44 pm
      To be perfectly honest we can forget about David Villa, Aguero or anyone over £30 million because there's no chance of the owners providing enough money for that. If we could get Arda Turan for about £16 million and a descent left back for around £12 million then we'd be extremely lucky. :-\
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #16: Mar 20, 2010 01:10:49 am
      Got any idea...everyone on the forum give me on on pound or dollar or whatever ur currency is and i'll drive to vegas and put it all on Red...and with the winnings i'll give it to my mate rafa to spend on new signings. Sounds silly but abetter gamble than trusting those yank muppets
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Mar 20, 2010 01:18:22 am
      You'd only win a couple of grand!
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 20, 2010 06:49:41 am

We're not gonna sign another world class player that's in the league of Torres or Gerrard unless we sell one of them, and that would be counter-productive!

If by some miracle we are given perhaps 25 million as our base amount (plus 100% of players sold to transfers) then there is a chance we might be able to sign one world-class player - but as it is our squad needs about three or four new players - say we have even 40 million to spend, which is unlikely, that needs to be spread over a few signings.

I'd like to see Vargas or Bale at left back, both probably around 10 mil - someone like Chamakh or Dzeko upfront to give us options and take the pressure off Torres now and again, they'd probably cost around 15mil each - and another central midfielder, personally I think there is enough talent in this country already, those like Noble, Michael Johnson, or Muamba are great prospects and would be fairly cheap.

From what we've seen this season, losing a big player is the most important thing to avoid, so keeping the likes of Reina, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Torres should be our main priorities - I still think these are the players that can help us challenge for the title next season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Mar 20, 2010 08:48:11 am
      "How much do we need to spend in the Summer to compete next season?"

My guess: £737.84

What's the prize by the way?  >:D
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #20: Mar 20, 2010 08:51:55 am
      £25M + money from player sales. So what we needed LAST summer.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Mar 20, 2010 08:58:33 am
      "How much do we need to spend in the Summer to compete next season?"

My guess: £737.84

What's the prize by the way?  >:D

An updated book on "Premier League transfer values"

Yours from the 40's seems a little out dated i think ;)
      SL
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      • The King is back!!
      Reply #22: Mar 20, 2010 09:31:31 am
      cover for Torres ,replacement for Riera ,and a left back so 40 mil would give us good options there ........the team we have now is more or less the one that finished second ,Aquilani I'm convinced he will be better than Alonso so with a few good additions we will compete again next season

Quick Reply