Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Rafa : I have no cash for a summer spree

Read 12170 times
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Rafa : I have no cash for a summer spree
      Mar 27, 2010 01:05:46 pm
      Rafael Benitez does not expect his Liverpool transfer kitty to be adversely affected if his club does not qualify for the Champions League this season – only because he has precious few funds to play with in the first place.

Benitez was advised at the start of the season that he could do little more than spend the money he generated, hence the purchases of Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson only once outgoing deals for Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa had been settled.

The manager has also spent a relatively small amount bringing Maxi Rodriguez and Sotirios Kyrgiakos to Merseyside yet he is anything but the last of the big spenders.

Not finishing fourth is currently unthinkable yet if they do not make it, he expects no reduction in his war chest only because he is determined not to miss what he never had.

"They [the owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks] told me before that it didn't make a big difference [if we don't qualify]. Every year that we have qualified for the Champions League it hasn't made a big difference so if we don't qualify this time I don't expect a big difference."

A failure to qualify for the Champions League would be a stark wake-up call to the fact that the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Aston Villa are now all genuine contenders. The hegemony of the old Big Four looks to be over – with Liverpool the principal victims – yet Benitez has not given up faith that a strong end of season can restore their position among the elite.

"It could go to the very end," he said. "I don't know which teams will be there. Hopefully it will be Liverpool and maybe another one but now there are four and maybe five teams involved so it is important to remain calm."

He also confirmed that Albert Riera's time at Anfield is almost up after he publicly criticised the Liverpool manager last week. Benitez said Riera could be sent out on loan.

What happened to the 20 million he was promised for the "big" summer?

On the other hand

Rafa makes budget claim
      Anfield boss puts faith in experience to prevail in top-four pursuit
      Rafa Benitez has claimed next season's transfer budget will not be affected if Liverpool finish outside the top four in the Premier League.

The Spaniard suggested he has not benefited from five successive qualifications to the UEFA Champions League in terms of the money he is given to invest.

The Reds have enjoyed sitting at Europe's top table since Benitez arrived in 2004, but their place is under serious threat this season and failure to qualify would set the debt-laden club back a reported £20million.

But the Spanish tactician, whose side are four points adrift of fourth-placed Tottenham having a played a game more, insists the Merseysiders' spending plans will not be restricted if they do not return to Europe's elite competition next term after speaking to the owners.

"They told me before that it [Champions League qualification] didn't make a big difference [to his transfer budget]," the Liverpool manager said in The Guardian.

"Every year that we have qualified for the Champions League it hasn't made a big difference so if we don't qualify this time I don't expect it to make a big difference."

Benitez, who earlier in the campaign guaranteed Liverpool would finish fourth, has hinted that Spurs are favourites for the final Champions League berth but the former Valencia boss maintains that the Reds' greater experience could prevail.

"Everything can change in one or two weeks. You have to be calm and try to do your job," he said. "For us our experience could be key.

"It depends on each team. Spurs are in a good position now and maybe City will be if they win one game, so it will be close. It could go to the very end."
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010 01:11:15 pm by cezar_sl »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Rafa : I have no cash for a summer spree
      Reply #1: Mar 27, 2010 01:12:48 pm
      Rafael Benitez does not expect his Liverpool transfer kitty to be adversely affected if his club does not qualify for the Champions League this season – only because he has precious few funds to play with in the first place.

Benitez was advised at the start of the season that he could do little more than spend the money he generated, hence the purchases of Alberto Aquilani and Glen Johnson only once outgoing deals for Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa had been settled.

The manager has also spent a relatively small amount bringing Maxi Rodriguez and Sotirios Kyrgiakos to Merseyside yet he is anything but the last of the big spenders.

Not finishing fourth is currently unthinkable yet if they do not make it, he expects no reduction in his war chest only because he is determined not to miss what he never had.

"They [the owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks] told me before that it didn't make a big difference [if we don't qualify]. Every year that we have qualified for the Champions League it hasn't made a big difference so if we don't qualify this time I don't expect a big difference."

A failure to qualify for the Champions League would be a stark wake-up call to the fact that the likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Aston Villa are now all genuine contenders. The hegemony of the old Big Four looks to be over – with Liverpool the principal victims – yet Benitez has not given up faith that a strong end of season can restore their position among the elite.

"It could go to the very end," he said. "I don't know which teams will be there. Hopefully it will be Liverpool and maybe another one but now there are four and maybe five teams involved so it is important to remain calm."

He also confirmed that Albert Riera's time at Anfield is almost up after he publicly criticised the Liverpool manager last week. Benitez said Riera could be sent out on loan.

What happened to the 20 million he was promised for the "big" summer?

I don't think it actually says we don't have money to spend in the summer. Just that it won't make a big difference to the budget if we don't finish in the top four.

Mind you, that is an indication that if we did, the money would just go straight into the yanks pockets.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 612 posts |
      Reply #2: Mar 27, 2010 01:14:55 pm
      That was just the title from the site.
      Added a second source that says basically the same thing, but draws a different conclusion.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #3: Mar 27, 2010 01:20:01 pm
      Rafa is spot on here. The owners do not fund him in anyway and any players that are brought in are brought in through selling players. It's now getting to the point where everyone outside AND inside the club are now having a pop at the owners. David Fairclough, Phil Neal, Steve Nicol, Phil Thompson and Torres have all questioned the owner's funding of the team and now Rafa has came out and told them what he thinks. I just hope it doesn't cost him his job.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #4: Mar 27, 2010 02:23:25 pm
      So the gaffa aint getting into any bidding wars! if there are any bids.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #5: Mar 27, 2010 02:56:03 pm
      Thought this was an interesting read as well. (Didn't think it was worth starting a thread considering there was one made along the lines of it here.)

Rafa reveals title-tilt plan

Reds boss keen to bring quality through transfer window and academy

Rafa Benitez insists plans are underway for Liverpool to become title-challengers next season.

The Reds boss has already made inroads in the transfer market for next season with a pre-contract agreed with Standard Liege forward Milan Jovanovic, while Jose Reina and Javier Mascherano are set to sign their deals at Anfield in the next month.

The Merseysiders have already secured the future of their key men in the last 12 months with forwards Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt,midfielder Steven Gerrard and defender Daniel Agger on new long-term contracts.

Torres, Liverpool's star striker, said on Saturday that he thinks the Reds need to bring in new additions in the summer.

And Benitez, whose side have failed to build from last season's second-place finish and are currently sixth in the table, is keen to bring more quality to Anfield in the summer to complement his current squad.

Plan

"It was the idea last year to extend contracts," said the Spanish tactician, who will be hoping for maximum points in Sunday's visit of Sunderland.

"It is the same this year to guarantee the spine of the team is there and, afterwards, try to bring in some good players to hopefully improve.

"With some players we are looking two or three years ahead, you have to be ready and prepare more or less the squad.

"In terms of the first team, to guarantee the extension of some players is enough to bring in the right players.

"We are always planning for the future. You can make mistakes but at least you have a plan.

"So if we don't make mistakes in the transfer window or if the [new] players settle down with this group of players we have at the moment we will improve."

Future

Benitez is also keen to bring players through from Liverpool's youth system and finding stars from the academy may become more important if the club's struggle to qualify for the Champions League becomes the norm rather than the exception.

The club have been criticised for not producing a first-team player since Gerrard and Jamie Carragher came through the ranks over a decade ago.

One of the conditions Benitez agreed on before signing his new five-year contract early last summer was that he gained control of the whole developmental side of the club.

He is keen for that to become a success and play a more central part in the long-term strategy at Liverpool.

"This is the first year I am in charge of the academy and we are trying to improve and bring players from the academy," he added.

"We need some time. The reserve team are doing well so these players will be the future of the club."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6057202,00.html?
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 27, 2010 03:56:09 pm
      Great news , the sad demise of this great club makes me sick , owned by Laurel & Hardy and managed by a stubborn manager who has took us about 6 steps backwards in his time here after having more money to spend than any other manager we  have ever had . Some top players being held back by piss poor squad players , not long before we are overtook by the likes of Everton/villa /spurs / city , midtable finishes are just something we have to get used to .
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #7: Mar 27, 2010 07:14:14 pm
      The two Yank bas**rds promised a big kitty for the summer transfer window and we ain't getting anything. Let's put the pressure on these clowns
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Mar 27, 2010 07:19:44 pm
      Not said anything we didn't already know.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Mar 27, 2010 09:26:57 pm
      The two Yank bas**rds promised a big kitty for the summer transfer window and we ain't getting anything. Let's put the pressure on these clowns

That is unacceptable. If don't spend big this summer we are doomed. WE already seeing the effect of not being there last few seasons. Its going to go much worse before it could get better with the reserves making the grade.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Mar 27, 2010 10:04:43 pm
      Stop driving our club into mediocrity you robbing yank b@st@rds. Yes its great to see the youth system get overhauled but we stil need investment this summer. I mean forget players even spurs will have a new stadium before us at this rate
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Mar 27, 2010 10:17:26 pm
      What is this big summer that tw*t hicks was talking about.
      hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 27, 2010 10:22:39 pm
      hey anyone surprised anymore?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #13: Mar 27, 2010 10:45:13 pm
      Great news , the sad demise of this great club makes me sick , owned by Laurel & Hardy and managed by a stubborn manager who has took us about 6 steps backwards in his time here after having more money to spend than any other manager we  have ever had . Some top players being held back by piss poor squad players , not long before we are overtook by the likes of Everton/villa /spurs / city , midtable finishes are just something we have to get used to .
      Get a grip for fucks sake you start by condemning the owners rightfully so and then you round on the manager who is prevented from doing his job by the idiots who are driving the club into the ground.The manager can only work with the none existant budget available confirmed by the news that he has no money in the summer to spend on signings.
      Where is the evidence that he has had more money to spend than any other manager?
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010 10:50:56 pm by stuey »
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: Mar 27, 2010 11:34:12 pm
      Get a grip for fucks sake you start by condemning the owners rightfully so and then you round on the manager who is prevented from doing his job by the idiots who are driving the club into the ground.The manager can only work with the none existant budget available confirmed by the news that he has no money in the summer to spend on signings.
      Where is the evidence that he has had more money to spend than any other manager?
      Mate this is yet another sh*te post.I worry for this club,if we have so called fans.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #15: Mar 28, 2010 12:11:57 am
      Mate this is yet another sh*te post.I worry for this club,if we have so called fans.
      Tell you what mate these don't qualify as supporters.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 28, 2010 02:11:50 am
      just think we are sliding down the slippery pole similar to leeds. no champions league next year star players leave manager sacked. if all those scenarios come about things look grim. plus the financial ramifications are not good. take the other viewpoint we win all our remaining games and we secure 4th place. we get 30 million and buy villa. pacheo blossoms into the ultimate striker. result 1st place next season
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #17: Mar 28, 2010 03:19:23 am
      No suprises but the worry for me is that our squad is so thin that we will probably only have the riera money to buy new player(s)!
      So what, 10 million to spend in the summer?? I think the only hope is that the squad really settles and gels in the summer, and that we avoid an injry crisis next season.
      machell88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 269 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 28, 2010 03:22:17 am
      just think we are sliding down the slippery pole similar to leeds. no champions league next year star players leave manager sacked. if all those scenarios come about things look grim. plus the financial ramifications are not good. take the other viewpoint we win all our remaining games and we secure 4th place. we get 30 million and buy villa. pacheo blossoms into the ultimate striker. result 1st place next season

HA!! if you believe what the article and benitez said there will be little effect on the transfer budget, so getting 30 million and villa is nothing more than a dream.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Mar 28, 2010 07:15:09 am
      Leeds got them selves into trouble by writing blank cheques and spending money they didn't have on players. We definitely haven't been overspending on players.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Mar 28, 2010 07:44:48 am
      Leeds were operating at a loss we arent. Ditch the owners for some proper investors and we will recover. If not they will bleed us dry
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Mar 28, 2010 08:11:05 am
      No matter where we finish he'll still have to fund his squad through a buy and sell policy.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #22: Mar 28, 2010 10:09:54 am
      It puzzles me that people plan on anticipated monies from league positioning and player sales yet the manager operates an enforced sell to buy policy, if the manager received any of said monies he would have no reason to implement such measures. Nothing has happened to affect the situation so the club remains on the slippery slope thanks in no small part to Messrs H&G.
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2010 10:15:33 am by stuey »

Quick Reply