Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

To Be A Referee - No respect?

Read 3824 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      To Be A Referee - No respect?
      Jun 05, 2007 12:53:08 am
      Watched Inside Sport on BBC1 tonight and it was all about Graham Poll. Was quite interesting to get an insight into what he went through after the famous three yellow cards. And even though he carried on for another season afterwards, it did mess up his refereeing days. And now he's packed it all in. He went on to say that he probably would be carrying on if it hadn't been for that ridiculous mistake in the world cup.

So referees are paid and have a duty, to get things right. Especially these days where a lot of money, and always more importantly, justice for the game rides on it. And if they make a mistake it's magnified and results in a lot of abuse. I know I've verbally abused referees in the past! I'm sure we all have  ;)
      As some of you probablly have, I've played school football and Sunday league. And when I think back to how the referees were fairly unprotected and really have to put up with some meaty abuse, it makes me wonder how they can carry on and make it to the top level? Especially these days as the game is evolving.
      Is it a fame driven thing? Is it money - how much do they earn these days? Is it power? Or most importantly, is it love for the game? The way things are going, is the future of refereeing less appealing to people?

I know I couldn't be a referee. But obviously, referees are vital to the game....

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2007 12:28:54 am by redkenny »
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: To Be A Referee
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2007 02:57:05 pm
      Good post redkenny  :).  Referee's have an awful job to do now.
      With the introduction of Sky TV, every incident, every tackle etc is scrutinized severely.
      I mean they have 4 / 5 TV angles of every incident, so the referee has only a split second to act. Ok he has his assistants with the flags, but ultimately it's what the man in the middle who makes his decision.
      One wrong decision makes headline news.
      No thanks for me, think I'll stick to shouting abuse from me seat  ;)  >:D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2007 05:51:48 pm
      Pretty sure Referee's are professional now.  I remember that Eton headmaster one had to quit refereeing cos he couldn't do it professional.

Fairly sure they pull in around £80,000 to £100,000 a year from the FA alone.

Still think it's a tough job?  I would quite happily let any of you swear at me for one and a half hours a week for that kind of money.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2007 12:11:13 am
      Who was the ref / assistant who called that decision against Reina v Bolton when he said he handled outside the box when, in matter of fact, he didn't! The resulting free kick ended up with the ball in the net!

BOLTON WANDERERS 2-0 LIVERPOOL - Saturday 30 September 2006

The Reds bossed the game from start to finish, but they slipped to defeat after Bolton capitalised on the one real chance they had and made of the most of one wrongly given to them by the referee's assistant.

Bolton had offered little in the opening 30 minutes, but they were given a huge boost when the assitant gave a free kick against Reina for handling outside the area and Gary Speed scored from the resulting free kick. But TV replays showed that it was the wrong decision!

I rest my case.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      No respect for Referees?
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2007 11:57:46 am
      When you watch soccer/football, doesn't it piss you off to see the players surround the referee when he has a decision to make? Trying to put pressure on the referee to make the decision sway their way, and complain when it didn't go their way.
      I don't know how people in Europe feel about this. Maybe they feel its part of the game or they love controversy?

I think that there is a serious lack of respect for referees in the game.

If I were to suggest a solution to this problem I would suggest that the rules that apply to rugby referees be brought to soccer/football too.

These rules are:
      -Only the captains are allowed to speak to the ref's. If a player has a problem, then he takes it up with his respective captain who goes to talk to the ref.
      -Upon breaking of the above rule the ref is allowed to punish the team by giving the other team 10 meters (not sure what the soccer/football version would be) or show a yellow card.
      -Yellow cards mean more. Its sends you off for 10 minutes thus encouraging the team not to do it again

These rules are there to give the referee power over the game and allows him to control it. I think it could work in soccer/football

So what do you all think? Is this a problem? Do you like my solution? Do you have one of your own?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: No respect for Referees?
      Reply #5: Jul 19, 2007 12:35:35 pm
      Good post, definately agree that something needs to be done about the harassment of referees.

I wouldn't make too many wholesale changes to the rules though, best to keep things simple. I would apply the rule that only captains can speak to the ref, and make it a straight red card offence for any other player to approach him. Only change needed really, players would soon learn not to do it. I don't agree with the idea of sin-bins though, I'd stick with the card system we currently have.

At the end of the day this is football, we don't want to be copying any other sports. There is a problem with players harrying the ref, but it can be easily dealt with by the one rule change I've suggested. Anything else would just be change for the sake of it.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #6: Jul 19, 2007 03:09:48 pm
      Good post, I have to agree with you over the refs. getting a lot of harassment, it is bad for the game, it is worse when young kids watch it and take it back to there games.

We have the rules in place to stop it, ie; we all ready have the 10 meters rule, but refs. don't use it very offten, and we have the yellow card, so we don't need any more rules.

If a football team carries on giving the refs a lot of harassment then the football league should step in and fine the club, it would soon stop.
      Man.U. have been doing this for years now, and it about time it was stoped.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Jul 19, 2007 03:15:16 pm
      -Only the captains are allowed to speak to the ref's. If a player has a problem, then he takes it up with his respective captain who goes to talk to the ref.

That would be good for clubs too, as they'd have to put someone in as captain who can actually speak to people and command a situation! Not just bribe star-players to stay at a club by emotionally tying them to the fans!

Rugby has quite a few good ideas (especially the 22-call hehe) which keep referees in authority and curbs harrassment! I couldn't see any of these being incorporated in footy though, as it would be too much of a culture change!

They'd definitley stop United harrassing refs though!  8) That'd be a welcome change!
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Jul 19, 2007 06:15:27 pm
      These rules are:

last season or two seasons ago when drogba handballed the ball and then kicked into the net and the reff allowed the goal to stand, Slyvain Distin went up alone to ask the reff why he let the goal be allowed the reff sent him off
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2007 08:31:14 am
      Thanx for your posts guys, I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one who thinks its disgusting.

I actually agree that not all the rules I have mentioned would be best but I put all of them there just to help you with your reply.
      It seems that Fifa is more interested in petty little things like Players taking off their tops and running off the pitch to celebrate with fans than the really useful thing like this.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2007 09:14:29 am
      It's F***ing sickening how refs get this treatment, chelsea forced anders frisk into retirement, graham poll,no matter how much you disagree with him deserves respect, every club does it and it needs to be stopped.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: To Be A Referee - No respect?
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2007 01:18:39 am
      Great post Venom-C!! This is right along the lines of what's been on my mind for a while.

The immense pressure that's on referees these days is ridiclous. Fair enough, they might earn a good bit of money in top flight football, but some sort of respect is always needed from grass roots upwards. So if any reasonable adjustments came in at the top level to give an example to younger players, that referees do have to be respected. Then maybe it could help in the long run, from grass roots upwards. For football and future referees.

What reasonable adjustments though?

Ultimately, pressure on a referee can result in a bad and very costful decision these days!! In many ways. But do we just get on with it and say "that's football"?.........

Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2007 08:11:05 am
      This has been going on for too long actually. There is something about the F word that when someone says it, you don't even need to hear, you can "see" it from a mile away the way one's mouth shapes itself around it. Now I've seen players saying it to the refs at least 20 times in every match. It's like it has become acceptable football language that the refs have to live with. Disciplinary standards must be maintained at all costs. It's not about the money, even Rafa earns less than his players but he's the boss. The refs must be respected, full stop! Players must just get on with the game. I agree with the earlier post, captains must have some room to query decisions but to a certain extent also.

Talking about rugby, everything is so transparent its unbelievable. The ref must justify each and every decision to the captain. There's even a microphone that is broadcast on TV in some games so we can hear what the ref is saying, I'm sure football games would be rated R if the same system was introduced.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2007 01:41:00 pm
      JD - the ref was David Elleray - headmaster of harrow, and didn't Poll actually quit because he has actually taken on TV work.

As for actually surrounding the ref - this is something which should be an automatic yellow card - perhaps bring in a rule that allows only the manager or captain to contest a decision with the ref. And it is not just Man U who are guilty of this, we have been guilty a few times in the past - definitely in 89 v Arsenal when Smith scored, virtually half the team were remonstrating with the ref.
      lfc_grl
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 29, 2007 08:15:23 pm
      I was thinking of doing a refereeing course, I'm only a teenager but i want to do it so i can ref. for the younger age groups at my local club. Do u think it would be good to have this, what can i call it, an achievement, no qualification?

Quick Reply