Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Transfer action at all??

Read 12414 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Transfer action at all??
      Jun 05, 2007 04:42:59 pm
      Tom Hicks has promised Liverpool fans transfer activity next week and vowed the Reds will make a serious title challenge next season.

The Reds co-owner was speaking in the wake of the new contracts signed by captain Steven Gerrard and his deputy Jamie Carragher.

But despite being confident there will be new signings and more current players penning new deals in the near future, he has demanded boss Rafael Benitez produce a "consistent" side next term.

Hicks, speaking on Sky Sports News, made it clear results must improve to compete with Chelsea and Manchester United.

He said: "Our goal is to play good football all season next time out. In the Premiership, you have to be so consistent.

"We lost far too many games on the road, particularly to lesser teams.

"That's the goal going into next season, to try to win those games that we have not been winning in the league.

"Only then will we be able to give Manchester United a good run for their money."

Benitez returns from holiday at the end of the week keen to conclude new contract discussions with Jose Reina, Xabi Alonso and Steve Finnan.

And Hicks, added: "I would say to fans 'just be patient', because we're talking to Rafa often. We are going to sign some good players, some good young players.

"The academy is now under Rafa's control and that will also help us produce our own young players.

"(Chief executive) Rick Parry is in charge of getting the contracts negotiated and I think the fans will like the outcome. Maybe we'll hear something in the next week."

This of course will start the inevitable guessing game about who it is we are signing but i am warming even more to Mr Hicks everytime he makes a statement, you wouldnt think he hadn't owned a "soccer franchise" before would you? ;D
      Oh and The Echo i believe think the player in question is Malouda ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2007 12:22:02 pm by Court_LFC »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Transfer action next week?
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2007 05:18:55 pm
      From the 'moneybags' originally and now to saying things like 'Rafa has control of the Academy'...

I'm worried guys.
      Cy
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2007 05:49:21 pm
      interesting, if it is malouda it would be a great signing, i have seen him playing a lot this year and the guy is class no doubt, terrific left foot, pace all what a winger need plus very strong in defense too. RAFA having control of the academy sound good but what does he really mean by that? I'm so looking forward to see who is coming in.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #3: Jun 05, 2007 09:10:34 pm
      all this talk and no action and the mystery speculation is sending me made but at least the yanks are thinking positively
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 05, 2007 10:08:50 pm
      Talk is cheap.  Time to back up their talking.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2007 11:04:50 pm
      Things sound a bit more positive than they did 24hrs ago. COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2007 11:45:53 pm
      I read something somewhere, Tom Hicks said to expect a signing next week that the fans will be very happy with and that we've had lawyers sorting out contract complications... Surely thats got to be Tevez with all this about who actually owns him?
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2007 11:48:35 pm by paulrobbo »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #7: Jun 06, 2007 12:52:31 am
      Hope to God its Tevez....Really believe that out of every player we have been linked to that he'd make the most positive effect.....imagine him tracking back  or linking up with stevie G, creating space for him. Just think about the service he'd give Crouchie! Kuyt could finally get back to what he does best....score goals and not have to come so deep.....and best of all he'll score himself or be on the same page as stevie to get on the end of his genius through balls.....he would raise the team to another level and not just score goals....eto'o would be a fantastic bonus but Tevez has to be our staple diet....a new Liverpool number 7......kenny would be proud and rushie will be jealous.....quality
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #8: Jun 06, 2007 01:27:46 am
      AGREE with u lester76! 8) . tevez is a good option since maybe we can buy him much cheaper than eto'o and then we can make a move to buy malouda. i guess that the likes of simao who is an admirer to benitez will make his way here to fill in the gap on the right side of our mid(maybe). actually we need another centerback as well... pity if agger or carragher injured. :(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #9: Jun 06, 2007 01:36:24 am
      I read something somewhere, Tom Hicks said to expect a signing next week that the fans will be very happy with and that we've had lawyers sorting out contract complications... Surely thats got to be Tevez with all this about who actually owns him?

'Contract complications' eh....

It could be that we are signing someone who has had a sex change operation I suppose?  But I thought Andy Johnson was moving to West Ham?
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #10: Jun 06, 2007 07:32:49 am
      'Contract complications' eh....

It could be that we are signing someone who has had a sex change operation I suppose?  But I thought Andy Johnson was moving to West Ham?

West Ham, no chance, but have heard Liverpool ladies F.C. have put a bid in. ;D ;D
      Rhys.a.red.
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      • Everywhere leads to somewhere
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2007 07:41:40 am
      I hope to god it's not owen.. is anyone not a little worried that all the owen talk has stopped? :sadlook:
      EVILeyeZ
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 06, 2007 08:08:34 am
      Hopefully Tevez ... please not owen(he can go to the manure if he wants).
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 06, 2007 08:33:26 am
      I hope it's Tevez or Eto don't think the fans will be happy with owen so don't think it's him
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #14: Jun 06, 2007 09:19:32 am
      TEVEZzZ!! eto'o is good but too expensive..  :( 
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #15: Jun 06, 2007 11:59:06 am
      I dont care who it is, as long as he has got some attacking flair and some confidence to use it. Not like some other people we know who got no pace and cross sh*t *cough zenden*.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 06, 2007 12:17:16 pm
      TEVEZzZ!! eto'o is good but too expensive..  :( 

If the Yanks really want to prove to us and Rafa that they are going to back him full then we can afford Eto no fuss what soever and still have enough money for the players we really need i thinks it's by time they PUT UP OR SHUT UP cause it's true what Rafa says talk, talk, talk, but no action as yet.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #17: Jun 06, 2007 05:28:26 pm
      i know that the  seoson has just finished  BUT  ARE WE GOING TO BE LATE AGAIN THIS YEAR TO GO FOR A TOP PLAYER.... the other big guns have already did some good signings...now chelski want alves and malouda too and arsenal want eto to replace henry........yes its paper gossip but it drves me crazy  ;D
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2007 06:18:02 pm
      good comments on here great to see you lot don't want Owen,,,,,,,,, good call

i would be totall pissed of if thats to be our signing that they so much highlighted i the hicks interview,,,,,,,,,,

i think its liverpool all over again,,, either its gone quiet because the deals have been done and that the 2 or 3 targets have been told to keep it quiet....

or its newspapers talking crap........ I am worried that over the last day or 2 every target we want is being linked with F***ing Chelsea...... its time to stop talking >:(
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2007 07:12:17 pm
      It won't be alves, Chelsea put in a 16 mill bid for him and Milan a 13.5 mill bid in. I hope it's Malouda seen some Videos of him on youtube and he looks the buisness.
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #20: Jun 07, 2007 01:26:54 am
      Liverbird, u didn't c the world cup?? malouda Is marvelous man!he is the one who will be the danger man on the left!!!  >:D left mid= hired, right mid= vacant
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #21: Jun 07, 2007 08:14:11 am
      After doing some research I dont think it will be Eto, AC Milan have put in a bid or will be bidding evidently, the only other choice would be Tevez, if we cant get either then all this stalling and slow reactions of transfers will cost us yet again. I have a feeling it will be Tevez because of the Spainish connection he doesnt speak great English and does seem to like the English game, I for one cant wait to see if he does come it would surely be a great signing.
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #22: Jun 07, 2007 08:57:32 am
      Right vydex!! seems like the player that will be heading to anfield is tevez as he will be certainly want to be linking up again with with his close friend who played briliantly with us!!!

Quick Reply