Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

FC Barcelona

Read 96538 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: FC Barcelona
      Reply #460: Apr 25, 2012 04:12:32 am
      Still can't believe he missed that pen....I had just got done telling my wife that the match was pretty much over, he'll never miss this..and then BONK!

So it's your fault he missed.  ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #461: Apr 25, 2012 08:34:33 am
      Quote from FL Red
      A lot of talk has been made about how Messi would fair in the EPL. I myself have wondered if he'd be as prolific. I don't know if this result adds any weight to it but Chelsea sure seems to have him figured out.

He wouldn't be as prolific. In the EPL, challenges are allowed, teams don't stand around watching you make 40 pass moves under no pressure.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #462: Apr 25, 2012 11:17:38 am
      Still can't believe he missed that pen....I had just got done telling my wife that the match was pretty much over, he'll never miss this..and then BONK!

It's just one of those days I felt. They hit the woodwork a total of four times over two legs!!
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #463: Apr 25, 2012 02:13:33 pm
      One of those freak aggregate results that happen from time to time. Barcelona were very unlucky over the two legs, but I'm sure they will be back next season in the latter stages of the competition.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #464: Apr 25, 2012 04:03:51 pm
      It's just one of those days I felt. They hit the woodwork a total of four times over two legs!!

Exactly, 4 times they hit bar/post, effort off the line, Busquets missed a right old sitter in the first leg. Another time if they scored all of those 5, they would have trounced Chelsea most likely and another team, they would have.

Chelsea defended so well, but they definitely had luck on their side. As soon as Messi missed the pen, I knew that was it. I remember when we played Barca in the 2nd leg in 2007 when we lost 1-0, we played far better than Chelsea and Im certain we didnt give away 70%+ possession at home, ableit Barca were not as good then as they are now (but still favourites against us).

Personally I dont think away goals should be used at all in competitions. It was brought in I believe because teams were boring in away legs and playing negative football...SO WHAT! Let them do what they want.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #465: Apr 25, 2012 06:41:03 pm
      Exactly, 4 times they hit bar/post, effort off the line, Busquets missed a right old sitter in the first leg. Another time if they scored all of those 5, they would have trounced Chelsea most likely and another team, they would have.

Chelsea defended so well, but they definitely had luck on their side. As soon as Messi missed the pen, I knew that was it. I remember when we played Barca in the 2nd leg in 2007 when we lost 1-0, we played far better than Chelsea and Im certain we didnt give away 70%+ possession at home, ableit Barca were not as good then as they are now (but still favourites against us).

Personally I dont think away goals should be used at all in competitions. It was brought in I believe because teams were boring in away legs and playing negative football...SO WHAT! Let them do what they want.

And the shot that Messi had saved by the legs of Cech and his penalty .. he usually scores those 9 times out of 10.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #466: Apr 25, 2012 06:52:20 pm
      When they went 2-0 up they should have locked up shop and passed the f**king ball around, no need to look for a 3rd knowing Chelase were down to 10 men, should have passed them to death to draw them out then hit them on the counter attack.

Bier
      Reply #467: Apr 25, 2012 07:02:19 pm
      That's not how Barcelona plays Shabs, and that wouldn't have worked either. As soon as Barcelona had possession Chelsea went in full defensive mode. You can't counter when all the opposition players are on their own half. Chelsea didn't need to score so they weren't exactly putting pressure on Barcelona to get the ball back early.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #468: Apr 25, 2012 07:05:03 pm
      But the first goal Chelsea came out of the blue and I think it took Barca by surprise and they had to then search for a 3rd goal.
      Bier
      Reply #469: Apr 25, 2012 07:06:36 pm
      Ahh yeah, I read it wrong, I meant after the 2-1. Still though, I think it's only natural for Barcelona to keep the pressure on after Terry was send off, it's what they do best.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #470: Apr 25, 2012 07:07:53 pm
      That's not how Barcelona plays Shabs, and that wouldn't have worked either. As soon as Barcelona had possession Chelsea went in full defensive mode. You can't counter when all the opposition players are on their own half. Chelsea didn't need to score so they weren't exactly putting pressure on Barcelona to get the ball back early.

I understand Beir, but when Chelsea were 2-0 down they attacked Barca who were camped in the Chelsea half, thats what cost them the goal,if they retained possession and knocked it about between themselves in their own half Chelsea would have had to come out.
      Bier
      Reply #471: Apr 25, 2012 07:10:16 pm
      I understand Beir, but when Chelsea were 2-0 down they attacked Barca who were camped in the Chelsea half, thats what cost them the goal,if they retained possession and knocked it about between themselves in their own half Chelsea would have had to come out.
      Yeah, like I said in the post above, I read it wrong. Still though, that's just not how Barcelona plays, their main focus is to score goals more than anything, they put the pressure onto the opposition. If they'd have a more safe and result driven approach they'd be Real Madrid.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #472: Apr 25, 2012 07:15:42 pm
      I think Pep Guardiola will sign a new contract be it rolling for another 12 months as he wont want Jose thinking he got the better of him.

Barca will be more ruthless next season when they add to that amazing squad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #473: Apr 25, 2012 07:26:54 pm
      Hope they buy some defenders.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #474: Apr 25, 2012 07:29:34 pm

Yeah tall ones and give us back monster.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #475: Apr 25, 2012 07:43:01 pm
      Yeah tall ones and give us back monster.
      I wouldn't have him back Shabs, as good a player as he is, don't want players who are not committed, he could have stayed
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #476: Apr 25, 2012 07:44:35 pm
      I wouldn't have him back Shabs, as good a player as he is, don't want players who are not committed, he could have stayed

Blame the previous regime including project Rub me face off for his going mate.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #477: Apr 25, 2012 07:51:22 pm
      Blame the previous regime including project Rub me face off for his going mate.

I was thinking he was going to go regardless, in his mind he'd rather play for Barca than for us
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #478: Apr 25, 2012 08:48:41 pm
      Barcelona needs a world class central defender to partner Pique who probably is the best they have, IMO.

I don't think they can be too sad. I mean, it sucks to lose games but even the best have their off days. You just can't win them all.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 819 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #479: Apr 25, 2012 11:03:15 pm
      Starting to think Barca are loosing there cutting edge, in previous years a Barca side would finish them chances they created against both Madrid and Chelsea. Messi seems to be a lot more lethargic than usual, not taking anything away from the man but he seems very disinterested, maybe Ronaldo winning the next BallonD'Or will spur him on.

I think this season will do Barca wonders for seasons to come as they will become more hungry and passionate to outshine and beat Real Madrid in La Liga and every other team in Europe.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #480: Apr 26, 2012 12:14:54 am
      They need to sign someone like Thiago Silva, he would sure up their defence a bit!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #481: Apr 26, 2012 01:06:16 am
      They need to sign someone like Thiago Silva, he would sure up their defence a bit!

I reckon they will get Silva and Bale. No one can say their forward line needs improving.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #482: Apr 26, 2012 03:35:48 am
      Gareth Bale at Barca!

HAHAHAH!

Quick Reply