Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

FC Barcelona

Read 96285 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: FC Barcelona
      Reply #483: Apr 26, 2012 04:24:57 am
      Seriously, his touch isn't great but with Abidal gone, his ability to open up wide areas would be appealing to them.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #484: Apr 26, 2012 05:49:46 am
      There is nothing in Bale's game that would fit into Barca's philosophy. He is technically inferior and lacks the football intelligence also can't defend he is just a pace merchant.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #485: Apr 26, 2012 06:02:38 am
      There is nothing in Bale's game that would fit into Barca's philosophy. He is technically inferior and lacks the football intelligence also can't defend he is just a pace merchant.
      Judging from the other day, "not being able to defend" seems to be part of the philosophy.  I suppose they will be looking for a left back or maybe their philosophy will evolve them into something else.
      They might line up with 11 outfield players and keep the ball for 100% possession. Who knows. Bale has one quality, when he goes he looks like he is better than the opposition.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #486: Apr 26, 2012 06:15:23 am
      They could do with someone like Agger srs !!! Just don't tell them ;D.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #487: Apr 26, 2012 06:18:53 am
      Only if we throw in Adam and Downing
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #488: Apr 26, 2012 07:09:18 am
      Adam will push Xavi to the bench :D
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #489: Apr 26, 2012 08:16:33 am

Think they would be better off with Kompany
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #490: Apr 26, 2012 12:10:15 pm
      ;D .. I don't think Bale will fit. He's not that pass and move type of player. He just runs.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #491: Apr 26, 2012 01:06:33 pm
      I think it's likely that Alba will be the choice at LB with Thiago Silva i'd be amazed if he left Milan so the likes of Hummels and Verthonghen could join. I've been told by a good friend that it looks like that Pep Guardiola will tell the players tomorrow about his future with the chance that he will decide to leave.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #492: Apr 26, 2012 02:35:15 pm
      Reports doing the rounds that Pep will leave at the end of the season
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #493: Apr 26, 2012 02:51:45 pm
      Reports doing the rounds that Pep will leave at the end of the season

Yep, it's all over Twitter like a rash. Rumours saying he will take a sabbatical before returning to management.

I haven't seen any reputable journalists reporting it, however.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #494: Apr 26, 2012 03:45:43 pm
      If he does take a sabbatical he is obviously feeling the pressure that the job of coaching the 'best ever team' can put on a man. None of this 'Well I've won trophies here, now time to move on' malarkey we see from Mourinho.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #495: Apr 26, 2012 05:55:14 pm
      BBC Sport ‏ @BBCSport 
      Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is on the brink of quitting after telling the club he needs a break from football. News conference on Friday

Guillem Balague ‏ @GuillemBalague
      Pep told the club he wants 2 go (something he has been thinking about for 6 months). Club asked him 2 sleep on it.Tmrr confirmation

The Pep to quit story now has a lot more substance...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #496: Apr 26, 2012 06:09:41 pm
      Be a sorry day if he leaves Barcelona. What he has done at that club is outstanding. He's done in 4 years what took Ferguson at Manchester United  25 years. When he came in they were not feared. They were sliding even under Rijkaard's management. But in under a year he turned them into one of the most talked about clubs ever. And they only got better as we saw last year. Deserves a break. It would be a dream if he were to manage Liverpool one day.

What are the chances Benitez will be in the running for that job if he leaves? Or will they appoint from within again?

edit: Rumours from Mundo Deportivo claim that the FA would be willing to hire him in a certain capacity. Pep shouldn't do it! Him teaching the beauty of football to that England team would be like teaching quantum physics to a bunch of 8 year olds. The FA should just appoint Redknapp or Hodgson to teach them the football equivalent of the two times table.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #497: Apr 26, 2012 06:16:13 pm
      Stay away from Borrell and Segura ya cu*ts.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #498: Apr 26, 2012 06:47:47 pm
      ...... Hodgson to teach them the football equivalent of the two times table.

Won't work, Woy adds 2 and 2 and comes up with twit twoo.

Or relegation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #499: Apr 26, 2012 10:47:33 pm
      Pep Guardiola shouldn't be too disheartened.

He has won 3 La Liga titles, 1 Copa Del Rey, 3 Spanish Super Cups, 2 Champions Leagues, 2 European Super Cups and 2 Club World Cups. That's a massive 13 trophies in four years.

If we were to have a new manager, I'd gladly take him :P
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #500: Apr 27, 2012 12:54:17 am
      Bilbao will beat you, Barca in the Copa. Then you'll have won nowt, nada, naffink  >:D ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #501: Apr 27, 2012 10:07:55 am
      Bilbao will beat you, Barca in the Copa. Then you'll have won nowt, nada, naffink  >:D ;D
      Apart from the Spanish Super Cup, UEFA Super Cup and the World Club Championship. Moyes for Barcelona !
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #502: Apr 27, 2012 12:58:50 pm
      Guardiola confirms Barca exit

Pep Guardiola has confirmed that he will leave Barcelona at the end of the season.

Guardiola has enjoyed great success at the Camp Nou since he was promoted in the summer of 2008 from his role in charge of the Barcelona B side. Under his leadership, Barca won the league title in 2009, 2010 and 2011, Champions League in 2009 and 2011 and the Copa del Rey in 2009.

However, he has been loath to make a long-term commitment to Barca, signing only one-year contract extensions amid fears of burnout in the face of the intense pressure the role attracts.

Following a week in which Barca suffered a 2-1 home defeat to Real Madrid - effectively ceding the title to their rivals - and then a 3-2 aggregate loss to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals, Guardiola told the board on Thursday that he was not prepared to extend his contract. The players were informed of his decision during training on Friday morning and a formal announcement followed in a press conference attended by Guardiola and the squad.

President Sandro Rosell introduced the conference by saying: "We have called you today to announce that Pep Guardiola will not continue in charge of the team next season.

"Thank you, Pep, for all the happiness you have brought us and for bringing a model of football that can never be questioned. The thanks from everybody at Barcelona will be eternal for the best manager in the history of the club."

Guardiola, explaining his decision, apologised for the uncertainty over his future in recent months.

"I've always wanted short contracts because the pressure at Barcelona is so big," Guardiola said. "I always thought that four years is an eternity for a coach.

"In October, I announced to the president and the director of football that I was seeing the end of my era. I don't have any energy left. I need to recharge.

"It would not have been a good thing - for either me or the players - if I had continued. I leave with the feeling of a job well done. I'm proud to have been Barcelona's coach."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1055344/pep-guardiola-confirms-barcelona-departure?cc=5739

Sad to see him go. He's built the greatest football team I have ever seen play in my entire life.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #503: Apr 27, 2012 01:02:59 pm
      I could see him returning within 2 seasons back at Barca, its in his blood and if they start to drop off whilst he is not the manager you will see calls for his return.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #504: Apr 27, 2012 01:10:48 pm
      There is a lot of pressure on his replacement to continue playing the style of football that they are now known for and winning trophies of course. If that doesn't happen in a season or two, I can see Pep going back there.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #505: Apr 27, 2012 01:11:14 pm
      Would love him at LFC. (Sorry!)

Quick Reply