Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FC Barcelona

Read 95768 times
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Re: FC Barcelona
      Reply #506: Apr 27, 2012 01:50:21 pm
      Sad to see Guardiola go, he's clearly one of the finest managers of the decade. However, if he needs his break, than fair play to him. Even with Barcelona's slightly less stunning campaign this year, I'd still fancy them to batter anyone when playing as they can.

Just a note on the the appointment of his assistant Tito Vilanova. While it's a risk, big respect to them for looking in-house again for managing talent. I hope it works for them (though not against us if we play sometime soon!).

But yeah, fantastic team and fantastic manager. Can see him going back there some day.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #507: Apr 27, 2012 02:47:53 pm
      Would love him at LFC. (Sorry!)

Wont happen because of the history he has with Borrell.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #508: Apr 27, 2012 03:03:28 pm
      It's obvious he's taking a year off, but all the knobhead press will continue to say he's the man for the England job. As will all the w**ker pundits - the same ones who've been calling for an English manager for ages.

Good luck for the future Pep. And well done on your incredible achievements at Barca.

How will they replace him?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #509: Apr 27, 2012 03:05:34 pm
      Barca's very own Bob Paisley.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #510: Apr 27, 2012 03:05:43 pm
      It's obvious he's taking a year off, but all the knobhead press will continue to say he's the man for the England job. As will all the w**ker pundits - the same ones who've been calling for an English manager for ages.

Good luck for the future Pep. And well done on your incredible achievements at Barca.

How will they replace him?

The old Liverpool way, from within.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #511: Apr 27, 2012 03:07:13 pm
      Vilanova has already been given the job. They were always going to promote from within, it's their philosophy.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #512: Apr 27, 2012 03:11:22 pm
      He has always said he thinks a manager shouldn't stay for too long at Barça and always hinted at a possible exit, so this news come as a bit of a surprise but not that much. It's a bit difficult to predict what he's gonna do now, because I don't think he has the same mentality of most managers, he thinks things differently and perhaps that's why he's been so good at what he does.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #513: Apr 27, 2012 03:21:13 pm
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #514: Apr 27, 2012 04:09:19 pm
      Sad news that, Barca as a club are tremendous, the press that follow Barca however are vultures.
      Joe88
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 366 posts |
      Reply #515: Apr 27, 2012 04:13:25 pm
      Didn't Tito have throat cancer? Always been lead to believe he was as much in need of a break as Pep so surprised at this appointment
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #516: Apr 27, 2012 06:47:54 pm
      I thought Tito would leave with Barca in the idea that they had become a partnership but nor am I surprised they appointed him. Appointing from within clearly worked with Barca with Pep and I think it will work with Tito when he makes the step up. He knows the philosophy, seen how you can get the best out of players like Messi etc and will generally continue the job Guardiola began. A very wise decision indeed!

I don't know what Pep will do next. He should do as he desires and take a break. I'd always hang out for the hope that if Liverpool ever came calling he'd be willing to step up to the task. What could be more exciting than him coming in and taking on the delicious task of transforming the club from to to bottom? I don't think there's a better manager in football at the moment. He's like Mourinho, only with the style in his football and without the sheer arrogance.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #517: Apr 27, 2012 06:56:00 pm
      I don't think there's a better manager in football at the moment. He's like Mourinho, only with the style in his football and without the sheer arrogance.

And his teams can't defend. See Tuesday.
      Bier
      Reply #518: Apr 27, 2012 07:01:46 pm
      So a team that wins that many things can't defend? I'd think not. They just defend differently than you apparently think they should. Mostly by trying to keep possession and pressuring the opposition as a team when they're not in possession..
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #519: Apr 27, 2012 07:20:47 pm
      So a team that wins that many things can't defend? I'd think not.

Yep, it's called possession. The opponent can't score if they don't have the ball, can they? And for a team that usually has about 70% possession and 1-4 shots on target against them per game, they concede an awful lot of goals, don't you think?

They just defend differently than you apparently think they should. Mostly by trying to keep possession and pressuring the opposition as a team when they're not in possession.

I'm talking about defending OFF the ball. When Barca are being attacked, or their defence is being ran at, they're a shambles.
      Bier
      Reply #520: Apr 27, 2012 07:36:27 pm
      Yep, it's called possession. The opponent can't score if they don't have the ball, can they? And for a team that usually has about 70% possession and 1-4 shots on target against them per game, they concede an awful lot of goals, don't you think?
      That is their defense though. As they say, offense is the best defense. I don't see that seperate from it.

I'm talking about defending OFF the ball. When Barca are being attacked, or their defence is being ran at, they're a shambles.
      I think as a team they've always been very good at regaining possession, by putting pressure as a team early on, forcing the opposition to make mistakes.

But you can't play like Barcelona and have a different, or much better defense. Because being able to play that way has alot to do with the type of players they play. It's also why they don't see Masch as a viable option for their midfield. They could play more defensive players but it'll go at the cost of their possession play.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #521: Apr 27, 2012 08:11:48 pm

Rubbish. When a team is pressing that high all the time and with that urgency you're always likely to find a gap in the defence. Everyone's mentality is so attack minded that the idea of getting into trouble defensively is out of the question. It's silly to allow complacency in like that yes but it can happen to the best of teams as we just saw.

For sure I think it's time for Puyol to move over and some further tweaks required in that department but YOU DO NOT win two European Cups, 3 league titles and a Copa Del Rey if you can't defend at a good standard. It's simple!
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012 08:23:14 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #522: Apr 27, 2012 08:23:58 pm
      Rubbish. When a team is pressing that high all the time and with that urgency you're always likely to find a gap in the defence. Everyone's mentality is so attack minded that the idea of getting into trouble defensively is out of the question. It's silly to allow complacency in like that yes but it can happen to the best of teams as we just saw.

For sure I think it's time for Puyol to move over and some further tweaks required in that department but YOU DO NOT win two European Cups, 3 league titles and a Copa Del Rey if you can't defend at a good standard. It's simple!
      That is their defense though. As they say, offense is the best defense. I don't see that seperate from it.
      I think as a team they've always been very good at regaining possession, by putting pressure as a team early on, forcing the opposition to make mistakes.

But you can't play like Barcelona and have a different, or much better defense. Because being able to play that way has alot to do with the type of players they play. It's also why they don't see Masch as a viable option for their midfield. They could play more defensive players but it'll go at the cost of their possession play.

Their back four as a unit are terrible defensively. They just are.

They win their silverware by possession and possession alone.
      Bier
      Reply #523: Apr 27, 2012 08:27:28 pm
      Their back four as a unit are terrible defensively. They just are.

They win their silverware by possession and possession alone.

This season maybe. They weren't that bad. But Abidal getting older, and getting sick. And Puyol getting older has certainly lowered the overall quality, and Alves isn't really a defender in how he plays for them. I think the only real mistake they made there is buying Adriano, just isn't good enough.

But normally teams have more enforcers in their team, on the midfield too I'd say that's more the reason than anything else. But that again comes back to their style of play.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #524: Apr 27, 2012 08:29:44 pm
      Should have stuck to 4-3-3.
      That 3-3-3-1 was mental when they lost the ball.
      It was totally reliant on possession.
      Bier
      Reply #525: Apr 27, 2012 08:34:12 pm
      Should have stuck to 4-3-3.
      That 3-3-3-1 was mental when they lost the ball.
      It was totally reliant on possession.

I think it was a mistake this season to get Fabregas. Although the main reason for that is as a result they changed formation to fit him, Xavi and Iniesta into one team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #526: Apr 27, 2012 08:38:36 pm
      Alves isn't really a defender in how he plays for them. I think the only real mistake they made there is buying Adriano, just isn't good enough.

100% agree. "Daniel Alves is a right back" is the biggest lie in world football. He isn't. His reputation in Brazil is tarnished because managers keep trying to play him there for the national team. He's not a fullback, really. As a RB, I'd have Maicon ahead of him every single day.

And Adriano is just average, not a player of Barcelona standards.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #527: Apr 27, 2012 09:02:06 pm
      Tremendous respect for Pep and wish him all the best. I think he has made a very shrewd decision in leaving this season. Of course I agree that he needs the break he has poured his heart and soul into that team and 4 years is very long. But also look at the team he is leaving. It isn't the same Barca of two or three years ago that struck fear in the heart of every team they came across. They are getting old, some big name signings haven't performed as well as expected, Madrid are getting stronger, their defensive weaknesses are more apparent than ever. Leaving now ensures he leaves with the memories of himself leading "the greatest club team", his reputation, the fans love and affection and a very impressive trophy haul. If he were to leave it for another year or two and standards dropped, he would be associated with the fall of that team as well as the rise.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #528: Apr 27, 2012 11:07:12 pm
      He certainly departs on a high, though.

I wish him all the best in whatever he does. Built the greatest football team I have ever seen.

So what they lost two trophies in a week .. they've won so much in 4 years and IMO, revolutionized the sport.

Quick Reply