Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      (5.2%)
      Fernando Torres
      (5.2%)
      Daniel Agger
      (55.2%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (23.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (4.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (6.9%)

Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread

Read 44150 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Re: Benfica 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match thread
      Reply #782: Apr 02, 2010 09:33:57 pm
      By the way, i want to congratulate the fans who were in Lisbon last night. You let the rest of Europe hears use. Brilliant support as ever  :scarf:.
      Good shout Semple mate they are taken for granted but these lads are always there supporting the club where ever and a brilliant job they do.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #783: Apr 02, 2010 10:33:17 pm
      Saw first half hour of game, up to the Babel incident, game seem to explode with the sending off, of Babel, felt disappointed with the final result but still in with a decent chance at Anfield, if the defence can hold it together.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #784: Apr 02, 2010 10:34:32 pm
      Benfica didn't manage to score any real goals in their own stadium; i doubt they will win at Anfield.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #785: Apr 02, 2010 11:14:35 pm
      the beautifull game of soccer was hijacked by a bunch of thugs fron benifica. and  courtesy of referee who was completely and utterly incompetant. if the powers to be, dont investigate aspects of this particular game then they are sending out a strong message they will tolerate thuggery and incompetance. this referee should be forced to resign he is a disgrace to his profession. how this guy can sleep at night. when i read about what went on. whas this ref high on drugs of some kind
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #786: Apr 02, 2010 11:16:19 pm
      This is Liverpool, man. You should have already gotten used to the crap referees we seem to attract.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #787: Apr 03, 2010 12:18:34 am
      when are the powers to be allow thugs to brutalize this beatifull game. this game of soccer has degraded into brutal acts week in and out. the skilled players are not allowed to showcase there skills because of thugs who get off scot free. torres was brutalized for the time he was on. the referee allowed the thugs to get there way. then you look at the standards of the refs the profession is in disaray. the injuries are becoming more horrific. bring back sportmanship no to thugs
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #788: Apr 03, 2010 12:40:20 am
      Overall a decent result it could have been worse.

As we only had 10 men for 3/4 of the game I feel the team played well and did what had to be done and we could off came away with a win if we took our chances but is wasn't to be.

Torres did not have enough support during the game, I understand we only had 10 men but if he is going to take kicks for the team then surely the team should bust a gut to get to him and offer some form of help but last night I felt he didn't have enough support.

But overall a good result regarding the circumstances.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #789: Apr 03, 2010 01:27:07 am
      the beautifull game of soccer was hijacked by a bunch of thugs fron benifica. and  courtesy of referee who was completely and utterly incompetant. if the powers to be, dont investigate aspects of this particular game then they are sending out a strong message they will tolerate thuggery and incompetance. this referee should be forced to resign he is a disgrace to his profession. how this guy can sleep at night. when I read about what went on. whas this ref high on drugs of some kind

The beautiful game of what?
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #790: Apr 03, 2010 01:33:51 am

Soccer.  :lmao:
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #791: Apr 03, 2010 01:37:02 am
      Too easy Dave,let that one go ffs.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #792: Apr 03, 2010 05:02:18 am
      Danny Agger gave the ref a right bollocking all the way through that game, this, and his sexual goal won him MOTM for me :).

We will have them at Anfield, revenge from thursday night, and 2006.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #793: Apr 03, 2010 11:32:09 am
      Harsh decision given to Babel.  Thought Ref was crap.  All to do at Anfield now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #794: Apr 03, 2010 11:55:39 am
      when are the powers to be allow thugs to brutalize this beatifull game. this game of soccer has degraded into brutal acts week in and out. the skilled players are not allowed to showcase there skills because of thugs who get off scot free. torres was brutalized for the time he was on. the referee allowed the thugs to get there way. then you look at the standards of the refs the profession is in disaray. the injuries are becoming more horrific. bring back sportmanship no to thugs
      The fool masquerading as a referee was selected by FIFA who if nothing else are consistent in making nonsensical decisions like this one, why put an official who has never refereed an international game into what was potentially an extremely volatile arena?
      Another example of the idiotic logic by the buffoons who control the game of football.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #795: Apr 03, 2010 01:06:38 pm
      The result was not a f**king fair one!! What are you f**king on about?! We got a player sent off for a debatable card, while they did not get any sent off when they could easily have been down to 9.

If you think its childish, then call it that. Ill be as f**king childish as I want, and maybe in my childish tantrum ill throw a copy of 'FIFA Laws of the Game' at you, in which Ayrton has already brought up, strengthening our case.
      Bloody hell, I hope you get this excited when one of our players tackles like that and gets away with it. The game is over get over it.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #796: Apr 03, 2010 01:25:48 pm
      Bloody hell, I hope you get this excited when one of our players tackles like that and gets away with it. The game is over get over it.

Aiiiiyeee fella, there is a reason why people call us Liverpool fans.
      We wear red-tinted glasses all the time.

Having said that, I think Benfica and Portugal should have been nuked by the German, they are not worthy a place on earth.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #797: Apr 03, 2010 06:53:51 pm

Usually we get a red-card in that situation and often im pissed off, but at the player not the card! I hate it when i see a Liverpool player do something dirty, so don't try and call me out as a double-standards man. F***ing hell, the game aint over, its only half-time of the tie and that referee fu**ed us over big time so i'll be pissed off at that as long as i want!
      catenaccio
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #798: Apr 03, 2010 11:17:20 pm
      First of all, must say Liverpool is my favorite foreign team. Always enjoy Anfield Road, the Kop, your past squads and fans spirit. I was one of yours at Istambul and really love Liverpool. To bad our teams faced eachother at 1/4 of Europe League.

As for the game, a real shame for us, benfiquistas, that an otherwise perfect night was somewhat ruined by firecrackers from one or two morons. Hopefully the quick demonstration of disapproval from the rest of the crowd taught them a lesson, although I'm not overly optimistic about that.

Either way, I had the opoortunity to chat a bit with some of you at Rossio Square and believe atmosphere on the stadium was impressive. I know you have a criticized the referee decisions but red card showed to Babel was fair and nothing to say about penaltys. Maybe you have something to say against our CD's (Luisão and David Luiz), but in some occasions Torres dived on the field, like Aimar for example.

Just to complete my first post here, I'm blogger since some years and appreciate tactical aspects of the game. I even analyze Liverpool squad and betted right about your 11 players. Check this: http://catenacc10.blogspot.com/2010/03/europa-league-relatorio-14-final.html

Cheers  :)
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #799: Apr 04, 2010 02:11:12 am
      Usually we get a red-card in that situation and often im pissed off, but at the player not the card! I hate it when I see a Liverpool player do something dirty, so don't try and call me out as a double-standards man. F***ing hell, the game aint over, its only half-time of the tie and that referee fu**ed us over big time so I'll be pissed off at that as long as I want!
      ok
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #800: Apr 04, 2010 12:00:33 pm
      I watched this whilst on holiday (in other words, a drunken haze). From what I can remember, some of the referees decisions were extremely questionable, particularly the first penalty.

Babel raised his hand, so the red card was probably right but the other decisions were terrible.

Performance wise, I think we looked busy. It wasn't the world's best but it certainly wasn't the worst of late. And Benfica didn't threaten as much as I expected them to.   

The result itself is far from disasterous. An away goal at a lively European ground against good opposition. As someone has mentioned, they needed two penalties to win. I can't see them winning at Anfield personally.   
      catenaccio
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #801: Apr 05, 2010 03:14:48 pm
      catenaccio
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #802: Apr 05, 2010 04:17:18 pm

Quick Reply