Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The Olympic Logo 2012

Read 3919 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      The Olympic Logo 2012
      Jun 06, 2007 01:20:09 am
      Arty farty garbage.

The worst thing is the designer probably got paid tens of thousands of pounds from National Lottery Good causes to come up with this sh*t.

Epilepsy fears over 2012 footage (Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6724245.stm)

A segment of animated footage promoting the 2012 Olympic Games has been removed from the organisers' website after fears it could trigger epileptic fits.

Prof Graham Harding, who developed the test used to measure photo-sensitivity levels in TV material, said it should not be broadcast again.

Charity Epilepsy Action said it had received calls from people who had suffered fits after seeing it.

Organiser London 2012 said it will re-edit the film.

The new logo for the event, which is a jagged emblem based on the date 2012, was unveiled on Monday.

A London 2012 spokeswoman said the health concerns surrounded a piece of animation shown at the launch, which was recorded by broadcasters and put on the official website.

Emphasising that it was not the logo itself which was the focus of worries, she said: "This concerns a short piece of animation which we used as part of the logo launch event and not the actual logo."

She said the section of footage concerned showed a "diver diving into a pool which had a multi-colour ripple effect".

The spokeswoman said: "We are taking it very seriously and are looking into it as a matter of urgency."

'Suffered seizure'

Prof Harding is an expert in clinical neuro-physiology and he designed a test which all moving adverts need to undergo to check they will not trigger a reaction in people with epilepsy.

He told BBC London 94.9FM: "It fails the Harding FPA machine test which is the machine the television industry uses to test images.

"And so it does not comply with Ofcom guidelines and is in contravention of them."

Christopher Filmer rang BBC London 94.9FM to say he suffered a seizure while watching the footage on television and his girlfriend also suffered a fit and needed hospital treatment.

"The logo came up on TV and I was thinking about the 2012 Games and then I was out," he said.

Epilepsy Action said the images could affect the 23,000 people in the UK who have photosensitive epilepsy.

It said it had even triggered breakthrough seizures where people have a relapse after being seizure-free for a long time.

A spokesman for the charity said: "The brand incorporates both the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which is ironic as the latter is a showcase for athletes with disabilities.

"People can strive for years to gain seizure control and it is important that nothing puts this at risk."

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: The Olympic Logo 2012
      Reply #1: Jun 06, 2007 01:36:13 am
      How on earth did the animated segment get put up before being tested!!!!?
      Arty Farty indeed! People have suffered as a result.... Ridiculous! Does my head in!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #2: Jun 06, 2007 01:39:41 am
      That's the crappest logo I have seen since this one.

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #3: Jun 06, 2007 02:07:24 am
      Arty farty garbage.

The worst thing is the designer probably got paid tens of thousands of pounds from National Lottery Good causes to come up with this sh*t.

I've heard it cost half a million quid for the design.
      Think were all in the wrong jobs !!!
      kane lfc
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 06, 2007 04:17:53 pm
      just found out this morning on skysports news that they cant use that logo now because 12 people have already had epeleptic fits off it.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Jun 06, 2007 09:56:02 pm
      My mum was soo excited when the logo was shown but now she doesn't like it!
      She was like "it's just plain pink" but I said it will probably be a different (bright) colour on each lampost/bin/poster etc but I don't know.

Quick Reply