Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season

Read 10189 times
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Apr 07, 2010 01:09:19 am
      Fernando Torres has identified the sale of Liverpool's "engine", Xabi Alonso, as one of the principal reasons for the club's struggles this year. The Spanish striker also said the club's current team were not strong enough mentally to overcome a poor start. Yet despite his damning analysis he said Liverpool could recover with "a vengeance", with Rafael Benítez as manager.

In a frank assessment of a miserable season at Anfield, in which Champions League qualification is in jeopardy and when doubts have been raised over where Torres, Steven Gerrard and Benítez will be next term, the Liverpool striker blamed last summer's transfer strategy for much of the club's problems.

Torres admits to witnessing parallels between Liverpool and Atlético Madrid, the boyhood club he left in frustration in 2007, and cites the £30m sale of Alonso to Real Madrid, Alvaro Arbeloa's £3.5m move to the same club and Sami Hyypia's transfer to Bayer Leverkusen as causes of the club's failure to build on last season's second-placed finish in the Premier League.

In an interview with the Spanish sports magazine Don Balon, Torres said: "There have been various important factors, like the fact that we were so far off the top of the table so quickly. That killed us psychologically and has stopped us changing the situation. After that, injuries hit us pretty hard and we have felt that a lot. After a good season last year, the team needed certain reinforcements and keep the squad together, but circumstances dictated that we had to sell players and everything got messed up.

"The sale of Arbeloa, Hyypia and Alonso was an important loss. Alvaro was a player who did a vital job for us, always played to a high level and his flexibility was a huge bonus. Sami may not have played every week but he was a 10 out of 10 on and off the pitch, bringing calm to the ground and having everyone's admiration.

"And Xabi … players like Xabi are very rare. He was the team's engine and you know that when you change an engine, it takes time to work again."

The Europa League represents Liverpool's last chance of silverware this season and Torres, who will be fit to face Benfica in the quarter-final second leg at Anfield tomorrow, concedes there are similarities between recent disappointments and his ultimate disillusionment at Atlético. He added: "It's difficult to compare [the two clubs] because the level of expectation and the sort of objectives we have are totally different, as much in a personal sense as a collective one. But, yes, you could say that there have been certain situations that look similar, above all in this last year."

Torres's comments may heighten speculation over his Liverpool future, although the 26-year-old has repeatedly said that he wants to stay at Anfield, providing the squad is strengthened this summer. The striker believes Benítez will remain as Liverpool's manager and does not consider the club to be in terminal decline.

"Rafa signed a five-year contract last summer because he wants to improve the club. So I think that this new era of Rafa's is only just starting," he said. "Big clubs in Europe always go through difficult spells where it appears as though there is no light at the end of the tunnel. But because they are big clubs, they always come back and they do so with a vengeance. It is just a matter of time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/07/fernando-torres-liverpool
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 01:44:55 am by redkenny, Reason: Next time include the link and right thread title plus the real story »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Torres blames Gillett and Hicks for loss of league
      Reply #1: Apr 07, 2010 01:10:19 am
      Source?

I'm not convinced that he's said any of this, just some of the wording doesn't sound like Nando. That and the fact that Sami wasn't sold and Torres knew that.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #2: Apr 07, 2010 01:11:45 am
      Source?

Nice to see him talk about each player like that as its fu/cking true!
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2010 01:18:01 am
      I seriously doubt he said this. You didnt even give a source... :-\ :-\
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2010 01:30:12 am
      Source ?

To me it looks like its someone's opinion not what Torres has said.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,391 posts | 2823 
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2010 01:30:19 am
      Sounds like bullshit to me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Apr 07, 2010 01:31:33 am
      Where is this from?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2010 01:48:24 am
      Fixed it.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #8: Apr 07, 2010 01:57:00 am
      Just doesnt sound like Nando, does it?
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #9: Apr 07, 2010 02:05:02 am
      Just doesnt sound like Nando, does it?
      Nope but alot of sites are quoting him to have said it, wish there was a video of his interview. Video or it didn't happen.
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 02:11:01 am by alexfrance, Reason: their, there Know when to use them :) Silly me. »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #10: Apr 07, 2010 02:06:55 am
      Nope but alot of sites are quoting him to have said it, wish their was a video of his interview. Video or it didn't happen.
      Or whoever translated it is an idiot.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #11: Apr 07, 2010 02:18:30 am
      Sh*te,close down please this sort of thread is disrespectful to our forum.No disrespect intended to the originator,but we get so many unfounded rumours in the media it becomes tedious,
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #12: Apr 07, 2010 02:36:43 am
      Sh*te,close down please this sort of thread is disrespectful to our forum.No disrespect intended to the originator,but we get so many unfounded rumours in the media it becomes tedious,

We can't just pretend he didn't say it. Rules are rules, there is a source so it's allowed to stay up. It's Torres' opinion you can't just wish it away.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #13: Apr 07, 2010 02:39:22 am
      We can't just pretend he didn't say it. Rules are rules, there is a source so it's allowed to stay up. It's Torres' opinion you can't just wish it away.

Not everything in the media is actually true, it might be in this case, but it's far from certain. It certainly doesn't seem like stuff Torres would say.

I think this is the original article? http://www.donbalon.com/web/articulo/I-1559/a-fondo-fernando-torres-intuyo-la-liga-azulgrana-
      Anyone know spanish here? Might just be a snippet from the whole thing.

edit:

not sure why that link doesn't seem to work, but the actual article is on http://www.donbalon.com/web/
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 02:48:52 am by Dexter »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Apr 07, 2010 02:52:36 am
      It would be nice if people started debating the story? I think the Guardian is a fair bet it's not a load of made up nonsense. Fair enough quotes can be made up.

Does anyone agree with Torres though?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2010 02:56:41 am
      It would be nice if people started debating the story? I think the Guardian is a fair bet it's not a load of made up nonsense. Fair enough quotes can be made up.

I agree fully with Torres to sell two of our most senior, influential and calmest players (Alonso and Hyypia) has seriously undermined our ability to cope when the going gets tough. Alonso is a talker, an organiser and above all a leader on the pitch, Sami the same. We have gone behind at times this season and there hasn't been the same calmness and confidence in our own ability. Sami and Xabi oozed these attributes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2010 02:58:54 am
      Not totally blame the season on that - but it has definitely been one of our downfalls. If we had been able to buy a quality FIT replacement, then i think we would not be as worried.

I'd say lack of investment (oh yes, that again ;) ) Is more of the issue, as if we were able to go out and find a quality, fit, replacement without being hampered too much by a budget, then it wouldn't be an issue.

So i agree to an extent, but there's much more at play, of course, than one simple answer.

EDIT: We didn't sell Hyypia! :mad:
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #17: Apr 07, 2010 03:06:51 am
      Last summer's bad transfer period isn't really the problem is it, it was the consequence of our bad financial situation, which is the real issue.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #18: Apr 07, 2010 03:39:51 am
      Last summer's bad transfer period isn't really the problem is it, it was the consequence of our bad financial situation, which is the real issue.

Basically what i was saying as well. Alonso was a vital cog last season, so inevitably his loss would hurt us - but given strong backing it should not have been much of an issue, just a readjustment period if anything.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Apr 07, 2010 03:56:20 am

I think he has got it spot on Kenny mate.

Rose tinted glasses aside its the dark truth.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #20: Apr 07, 2010 05:32:34 am
      There is no debate about whether the loss of Alonso,Hyppia, and Arbeloa have weakened the team, I am pretty sure most of us have bemoaned those players absence at some stage of the season. eg Hyppia on the set pieces

But the article stops short of saying directly that Torres blames any particular person for the players going.

Saying that when an engine is changed the new engine takes a while to get going is a pretty fair statement, in his reference to Alonso.

People on here do not want to debate the question of whos fault it was that Alonso was sold to Real.

Those who say it was Alonso's boyhood dream and nothing to do with the Barry saga will continue to do so.

Those who say Rafa's played a key role in pushing Alonso to want to leave us will also continue to do so.

Torres has not shed any new light on that question.

The interesting trend I have noticed in his last two brushes with the media is how he tends to admit weakness in his fellow players.  In this case referring to them being mentally weak.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Apr 07, 2010 05:56:49 am
      No doubt Arbeloa is a more stable right back, no doubt Hyypia would of led us through our defensive mess this season and no doubt Alonso adds what only 2 or 3 others in the world can.

We've missed them big time. Torres speaks like a fan of the club and once again i agree with him.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 07, 2010 08:44:04 am
      Its not the sale of XABI Alonso that has wrecked our season its Benitez's failure to replace a vital cog to make our system function ,for 13m we could of had Wesley Snijder who would of   Slotted in no problem but the manager expected Lucas to fill in for 5/6months for the 20m crock that he took a massive gamble on , before anyone says we never paid 20m for Aquilanni up front , we wouldn't of paid Snijders fee up front either , Glen Johnson was a good replacement for Arbeloa , the big Greek was an able deputy for big Sami , so the main problem was the balls up replacing XA , now the repercushions could be Torres will want away when the curtain comes down on this awful season  .
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 10:38:00 am by Johncolf »

Quick Reply