Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season

Read 10190 times
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Apr 07, 2010 01:09:19 am
      Fernando Torres has identified the sale of Liverpool's "engine", Xabi Alonso, as one of the principal reasons for the club's struggles this year. The Spanish striker also said the club's current team were not strong enough mentally to overcome a poor start. Yet despite his damning analysis he said Liverpool could recover with "a vengeance", with Rafael Benítez as manager.

In a frank assessment of a miserable season at Anfield, in which Champions League qualification is in jeopardy and when doubts have been raised over where Torres, Steven Gerrard and Benítez will be next term, the Liverpool striker blamed last summer's transfer strategy for much of the club's problems.

Torres admits to witnessing parallels between Liverpool and Atlético Madrid, the boyhood club he left in frustration in 2007, and cites the £30m sale of Alonso to Real Madrid, Alvaro Arbeloa's £3.5m move to the same club and Sami Hyypia's transfer to Bayer Leverkusen as causes of the club's failure to build on last season's second-placed finish in the Premier League.

In an interview with the Spanish sports magazine Don Balon, Torres said: "There have been various important factors, like the fact that we were so far off the top of the table so quickly. That killed us psychologically and has stopped us changing the situation. After that, injuries hit us pretty hard and we have felt that a lot. After a good season last year, the team needed certain reinforcements and keep the squad together, but circumstances dictated that we had to sell players and everything got messed up.

"The sale of Arbeloa, Hyypia and Alonso was an important loss. Alvaro was a player who did a vital job for us, always played to a high level and his flexibility was a huge bonus. Sami may not have played every week but he was a 10 out of 10 on and off the pitch, bringing calm to the ground and having everyone's admiration.

"And Xabi … players like Xabi are very rare. He was the team's engine and you know that when you change an engine, it takes time to work again."

The Europa League represents Liverpool's last chance of silverware this season and Torres, who will be fit to face Benfica in the quarter-final second leg at Anfield tomorrow, concedes there are similarities between recent disappointments and his ultimate disillusionment at Atlético. He added: "It's difficult to compare [the two clubs] because the level of expectation and the sort of objectives we have are totally different, as much in a personal sense as a collective one. But, yes, you could say that there have been certain situations that look similar, above all in this last year."

Torres's comments may heighten speculation over his Liverpool future, although the 26-year-old has repeatedly said that he wants to stay at Anfield, providing the squad is strengthened this summer. The striker believes Benítez will remain as Liverpool's manager and does not consider the club to be in terminal decline.

"Rafa signed a five-year contract last summer because he wants to improve the club. So I think that this new era of Rafa's is only just starting," he said. "Big clubs in Europe always go through difficult spells where it appears as though there is no light at the end of the tunnel. But because they are big clubs, they always come back and they do so with a vengeance. It is just a matter of time."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/07/fernando-torres-liverpool
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 01:44:55 am by redkenny, Reason: Next time include the link and right thread title plus the real story »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Torres blames Gillett and Hicks for loss of league
      Reply #1: Apr 07, 2010 01:10:19 am
      Source?

I'm not convinced that he's said any of this, just some of the wording doesn't sound like Nando. That and the fact that Sami wasn't sold and Torres knew that.
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #2: Apr 07, 2010 01:11:45 am
      Source?

Nice to see him talk about each player like that as its fu/cking true!
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2010 01:18:01 am
      I seriously doubt he said this. You didnt even give a source... :-\ :-\
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2010 01:30:12 am
      Source ?

To me it looks like its someone's opinion not what Torres has said.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2010 01:30:19 am
      Sounds like bullshit to me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Apr 07, 2010 01:31:33 am
      Where is this from?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Torres blames sale of Alonso for poor season
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2010 01:48:24 am
      Fixed it.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #8: Apr 07, 2010 01:57:00 am
      Just doesnt sound like Nando, does it?
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #9: Apr 07, 2010 02:05:02 am
      Just doesnt sound like Nando, does it?
      Nope but alot of sites are quoting him to have said it, wish there was a video of his interview. Video or it didn't happen.
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 02:11:01 am by alexfrance, Reason: their, there Know when to use them :) Silly me. »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #10: Apr 07, 2010 02:06:55 am
      Nope but alot of sites are quoting him to have said it, wish their was a video of his interview. Video or it didn't happen.
      Or whoever translated it is an idiot.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #11: Apr 07, 2010 02:18:30 am
      Sh*te,close down please this sort of thread is disrespectful to our forum.No disrespect intended to the originator,but we get so many unfounded rumours in the media it becomes tedious,
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #12: Apr 07, 2010 02:36:43 am
      Sh*te,close down please this sort of thread is disrespectful to our forum.No disrespect intended to the originator,but we get so many unfounded rumours in the media it becomes tedious,

We can't just pretend he didn't say it. Rules are rules, there is a source so it's allowed to stay up. It's Torres' opinion you can't just wish it away.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #13: Apr 07, 2010 02:39:22 am
      We can't just pretend he didn't say it. Rules are rules, there is a source so it's allowed to stay up. It's Torres' opinion you can't just wish it away.

Not everything in the media is actually true, it might be in this case, but it's far from certain. It certainly doesn't seem like stuff Torres would say.

I think this is the original article? http://www.donbalon.com/web/articulo/I-1559/a-fondo-fernando-torres-intuyo-la-liga-azulgrana-
      Anyone know spanish here? Might just be a snippet from the whole thing.

edit:

not sure why that link doesn't seem to work, but the actual article is on http://www.donbalon.com/web/
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 02:48:52 am by Dexter »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Apr 07, 2010 02:52:36 am
      It would be nice if people started debating the story? I think the Guardian is a fair bet it's not a load of made up nonsense. Fair enough quotes can be made up.

Does anyone agree with Torres though?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2010 02:56:41 am
      It would be nice if people started debating the story? I think the Guardian is a fair bet it's not a load of made up nonsense. Fair enough quotes can be made up.

I agree fully with Torres to sell two of our most senior, influential and calmest players (Alonso and Hyypia) has seriously undermined our ability to cope when the going gets tough. Alonso is a talker, an organiser and above all a leader on the pitch, Sami the same. We have gone behind at times this season and there hasn't been the same calmness and confidence in our own ability. Sami and Xabi oozed these attributes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2010 02:58:54 am
      Not totally blame the season on that - but it has definitely been one of our downfalls. If we had been able to buy a quality FIT replacement, then i think we would not be as worried.

I'd say lack of investment (oh yes, that again ;) ) Is more of the issue, as if we were able to go out and find a quality, fit, replacement without being hampered too much by a budget, then it wouldn't be an issue.

So i agree to an extent, but there's much more at play, of course, than one simple answer.

EDIT: We didn't sell Hyypia! :mad:
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #17: Apr 07, 2010 03:06:51 am
      Last summer's bad transfer period isn't really the problem is it, it was the consequence of our bad financial situation, which is the real issue.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #18: Apr 07, 2010 03:39:51 am
      Last summer's bad transfer period isn't really the problem is it, it was the consequence of our bad financial situation, which is the real issue.

Basically what i was saying as well. Alonso was a vital cog last season, so inevitably his loss would hurt us - but given strong backing it should not have been much of an issue, just a readjustment period if anything.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Apr 07, 2010 03:56:20 am

I think he has got it spot on Kenny mate.

Rose tinted glasses aside its the dark truth.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #20: Apr 07, 2010 05:32:34 am
      There is no debate about whether the loss of Alonso,Hyppia, and Arbeloa have weakened the team, I am pretty sure most of us have bemoaned those players absence at some stage of the season. eg Hyppia on the set pieces

But the article stops short of saying directly that Torres blames any particular person for the players going.

Saying that when an engine is changed the new engine takes a while to get going is a pretty fair statement, in his reference to Alonso.

People on here do not want to debate the question of whos fault it was that Alonso was sold to Real.

Those who say it was Alonso's boyhood dream and nothing to do with the Barry saga will continue to do so.

Those who say Rafa's played a key role in pushing Alonso to want to leave us will also continue to do so.

Torres has not shed any new light on that question.

The interesting trend I have noticed in his last two brushes with the media is how he tends to admit weakness in his fellow players.  In this case referring to them being mentally weak.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Apr 07, 2010 05:56:49 am
      No doubt Arbeloa is a more stable right back, no doubt Hyypia would of led us through our defensive mess this season and no doubt Alonso adds what only 2 or 3 others in the world can.

We've missed them big time. Torres speaks like a fan of the club and once again i agree with him.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 07, 2010 08:44:04 am
      Its not the sale of XABI Alonso that has wrecked our season its Benitez's failure to replace a vital cog to make our system function ,for 13m we could of had Wesley Snijder who would of   Slotted in no problem but the manager expected Lucas to fill in for 5/6months for the 20m crock that he took a massive gamble on , before anyone says we never paid 20m for Aquilanni up front , we wouldn't of paid Snijders fee up front either , Glen Johnson was a good replacement for Arbeloa , the big Greek was an able deputy for big Sami , so the main problem was the balls up replacing XA , now the repercushions could be Torres will want away when the curtain comes down on this awful season  .
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 10:38:00 am by Johncolf »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #23: Apr 07, 2010 08:51:04 am
      Given that myself and others have compared our midfield pre and post Xabi on many occasions and pointed to what we see as it's inadequacies without him; it would be churlish of me to disagree with Nando.

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #24: Apr 07, 2010 09:31:53 am
      Its not the sale of Xavi Alonso that has wrecked our season its Benitez's failure to replace a vital cog to make our system function

I didn't know a Xavi Alonso played for us ?  :roll:
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #25: Apr 07, 2010 09:33:56 am
      I didn't know a Xavi Alonso played for us ?

People calling him Xavi really grinds my gears too niks  >:(
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Apr 07, 2010 09:37:53 am
      I didn't know a Xavi Alonso played for us ?  :roll:

Out of Johncolf's whole post, that's all you see fit to pass comment on? Poor bloke.  :lmao:
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #27: Apr 07, 2010 09:42:51 am
      Out of Johncolf's whole post, that's all you see fit to pass comment on? Poor bloke.  :lmao:

;D Don't worry bbb I read Johncolf's post I just don't like it when people call him Xavi that's all .
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #28: Apr 07, 2010 10:01:48 am
      As soon as i seen Xavi Alonso i stopped reading BBB!

Nah im joking, it was a good post with valid points, but im the same as niks, just annoys me when people call him that!

Its like people calling me john (my names andy)

:P
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #29: Apr 07, 2010 10:04:15 am
      Injuries? Yes.

Alonso, Arbeloa and Hyypia? No. We have Gerrard, Johnson and Kyrgiakos.

Had Gerrard been plugged in the hole Alonso occupied, the story would have been different.

So I don't totally agree with Torres.
      idwLFC89
      • Banned

• 252 posts | 11 
      Reply #30: Apr 07, 2010 10:15:02 am
      I agree with Torres' because he would know wouldn't he. Because he goes to training everyday, he's in the locker room, he's on the pitch, and he's also been off the pitch due to injury. The man knows how many goals he's scored, and how many months he spent watching matches from home wishing he could be playing, influencing the match. If there's any player I will actually listen to when they speak, it's Torres.

He's not the type to just run his mouth, he wouldn't say anything that we don't already know. But I like that he is speaking out, I mean, given our predicament, most of our players have stayed remarkably silent.

I don't know why we let Arbeloa go for 2.5m. For me it's not worth it. I mean, say we had him in the team, and he assisted, or scored a few more extremely important goals. What if we wont the Premier League? Sure, he'd leave on a free the next summer, but we would have profited way more than the 2.5m gained in his transfer, if he stayed, and we won the league. I mean, he was healthy, and improving all the time, his style of play was reliable and consistent. I don't know why we let him go so easily. I think that is the key to why this season has been so terrible. It's our defense. Our back line is unstable. Johnson, Agger, Aurelio and Skrtel can't stay collectively healthy. And Jamie is aging. The Big Greek isn't fast enough to play every single match. Insua is neither fast or consistent. Arbeloa was reliable, which I think is the most important quality in a footballer.

Nando knows what he's talking about, right now, he's the most important member of the team
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #31: Apr 07, 2010 11:01:55 am

I'd have to agree with Torres in that it may have contributed to our bad season. Xabi was a phenomenally creative player. But it's not the only contributing factor.

But Xabi wanted to go. At least we got a good few years out of him and, subsequently, made about £20m profit on the lad off the back of a situation where he was going to leave regardless. 

As Fernando said. New engines don't work straight away. Hopefully we can iron out he kinks and have another crack next season. :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: Apr 07, 2010 11:03:22 am
      What we got rid of Xavi as well!!! Damn it.
      Yeah that grinds my gears
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #33: Apr 07, 2010 11:21:04 am
      I think the loss of Alonso and arbeloa are just a piece of the jigsaw on why this season has fallen apart.

Not directly to blame as we do have a couple of replacements as previously pointed out, however this thrown in with lots of other issues has contributed to a downward spiral
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34: Apr 07, 2010 11:21:49 am

The interesting trend I have noticed in his last two brushes with the media is how he tends to admit weakness in his fellow players.  In this case referring to them being mentally weak.

Agreed mate, last two things he's said in the press are this and that we needed 4 or 5 players to bring into the club for a proper Title push to happen. Don't think he has much faith in some of the lads he's playing with at the moment. That can't be good for team morale, even if it is the truth.

Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #35: Apr 07, 2010 11:24:14 am
      Surely thats something we all agree with though, hopefully referring to Lucas, Ngog and dare i say it Kuyt... (although i do think he could be better utilised)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Apr 07, 2010 11:28:12 am
      Don't forget Insua. Wonder who the 5th is?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #37: Apr 07, 2010 11:33:32 am
      We've missed all three big time.

Arbeloa could actually defend, which is kind of a nice thing to have in a right back. Hyypia had tons of experience and could read the game as well as anyone in the world and as soon as Carra turned sh*t I would have put him back in alongside Agger. And Alonso could offer a range of passing that probably only the likes of Xavi and Iniesta could match so of course he's going to be a big loss.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #38: Apr 07, 2010 11:53:55 am
      Surely we missed them all. Arbeloa for his consistency and Hyypia for his presence and experience. Surely players of Alonso's quality are hard to come by and will be sorely missed but along with injuries, that cost our season.

I wouldn't say those three players are irreplacable but perhaps if Gerrard had been put back in the centre of midfield, we probably would have had different results because Gerrard, can do, what Alonso can (except maybe scoring from his own half :P ).
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Apr 07, 2010 11:55:07 am
      Have to agree with Torres totally to be honest.

Xabi Alonso was the heart of our midfield the orchestrator who dictate the tempo of our games, watch any video he always had his head up, always made himself available and always knew what he was going to with the ball before he even received it. His vision, range of passing and the ability to dominate the midfield is something we have clearly been lacking this season, what ever your arguments for Lucas Leiva he's not in the same class as Alonso and never will be, it's a no brainer.

Arbeloa his significance in our back 4 was greatly under valued, a consistent solid defender who wasn't that bad going forward really he got himself into advanced positions and whipped in crosses, he may not have the flair or goal threat of Johnson going forward, but was consistent a good defender who shackled Messi when being played out of position, on what I've seen of Johnson so far, I'd say Arebloa was a better defender so it's a no brainer again.

Hyypia again another no brainer, you can not under estimate the impact of a player/joker who's been at a club the best part of ten year whether that be on the pitch or off it, now I'm not going to be hard on Sotis here as he's done well on the pitch, but I however do not feel he can carry the influence that Hyypia did.

Lack of investment, I've said it so many times I'm bored of typing it, however any club that does not invest accordingly for two years whilst other clubs around you are investing then you stand still, you can even say you regress whilst the rest around you improve. Tom & George have a lot to answer for over this one.

Injuries again, said it many times over the course of the season, Yes I think we can all accept especially in the first half of the season injuries done us no favours at all, but that again comes down to investment had Tom & George invested accordingly over the last two seasons, we may have just had he strength in depth to get through it.

So basically I agree with Nando.

Lucas is not fit to lick Alonso's boots never mind clean them.

Arbeloa was a better defender than Johnson.

Hyypia is more influential than Sotis.

Tom & George are cu*ts.

Injuries have disrupted our season.

Fook me I've been saying this sh*t all season long. ;D

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #40: Apr 07, 2010 12:09:16 pm
      Agree with Torres about Xabi but I was saying this in August when I realised Lucas was going to be playing so much, it is not rocket science but then some people on here seem to say one player can't make that much of a difference.

In relation to Arbeloa Johnson is a much better all round player but then Arbeloa has playe left back at times this season for Real and would have being a massive improvement for us then Insua at left back this season.

In relation to Hyypia he is 10th in the Castrol ratings of players in europe this season this just shows what a legend this lad is.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #41: Apr 07, 2010 12:19:40 pm
      Its not because of Alonso that we are where we are. Its because Rafa refuses to let Lucas (and everyone) play in the positions they play best in and he bought an injured player to replace Xabi. That and our squad doesn't have the strength and depth thanks to our two favourite american friends.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Apr 07, 2010 12:23:11 pm

In relation to Arbeloa Johnson is a much better all round player but then Arbeloa has playe left back at times this season for Real and would have being a massive improvement for us then Insua at left back this season.

I have to disagree there Corbally mate, Johnson may be better than Arebloa was going forward, but in terms of defending positional sense consistency and being solid in the tackle, I think Arebloa was better on this seasons showing anyway, I can't remember Arebloa getting caught out of position over his Anfield Career as many times as Johnson has this season, maybe thats because of Johnson's attacking play, however a defenders primary objective is to defend and thats why I think Arbeloa is a better all round right back. Very under rated IMO.

Hopefully though Johnson will prove me wrong next year when hopefully we'll have a squad of players firing on all cylinders.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #43: Apr 07, 2010 12:25:57 pm
      Its not because of Alonso that we are where we are.

I think you under estimate Xabi's abilities, any team would miss one of the best midfielders in the world especially when he has been replaced with a crock and the master of sideways/backwards passing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #44: Apr 07, 2010 12:31:53 pm
      We have to disagree on this one Redblood I wasn't a fan of Arbeloa to be honest thought he was poor in possession lost count of the amount of times he was in crossing positions and he failed to get the ball in.

Think it is vastly overstated about him as well in the defending part. He was suspectable to a quick winger. What I can remember from him is his performance last year against Arshavin and that champions league match against Chelsea where he meekly allowed Kalou to get in the cross which Riise decided to slice into his own net.

Arbeloa was defo a defensive full back and what people tend to forget is Johnson is an attacking full back and when you employ attacking full backs you have to sacrifrice a small bit in the way of defending. look at Alves he is more like a winner than full back. That is what Barc play and I would like us to play full backs that bomb on.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #45: Apr 07, 2010 12:37:14 pm
      We miss all three. Xabi for his sheer classiness in midfield. Arbeloa for his utility abilities which meant he could play across the back for. Hyppia for being a calming rock on and off the pitch... but  we miss them even more for not having built on last year with quality extra signings.

Rather than merely replacing who left with compromised dealings we should have been bringing in another two or three on top of those we signed. Instead we had a thread bare squad that got caught by the b"ll"cks when the injuries piled high. Team has been chop and change all year especially at the back
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #46: Apr 07, 2010 12:39:01 pm
      Is correct Daz his last season here was outstanding and it's no coincidence that as a result we were able to command such a handsome fee for him and also finish second in the Prem.
      His previous time at Anfield was relatively undistinguished so his last season with us seems even more remarkable, after saying that and considering there was no adequate replacement forthcoming to say he is missed is an understated understatement.
      I think you under estimate Xabi's abilities, any team would miss one of the best midfielders in the world especially when he has been replaced with a crock and the master of sideways/backwards passing.
      For Torres to say what he has is stating the obvious and the media are trying to get a slant on it as is their way, just nobheads with pens.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: Apr 07, 2010 12:43:14 pm
      Xabi was brilliant his whole time here barring his injury plagued second last season here. I remember reading the stat about him out passing the pass master Pirlo in that famous Istanbul final. The lad was a class above from his first match against Bolton.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Apr 07, 2010 12:50:33 pm
      Is correct Daz his last season here was outstanding and it's no coincidence that as a result we were able to command such a handsome fee for him and also finish second in the Prem.
      His previous time at Anfield was relatively undistinguished so his last season with us seems even more remarkable, after saying that and considering there was no adequate replacement forthcoming to say he is missed is an understated understatement.For Torres to say what he has is stating the obvious and the media are trying to get a slant on it as is their way, just nobheads with pens.

Xabi was brilliant his whole time here barring his injury plagued second last season here. I remember reading the stat about him out passing the pass master Pirlo in that famous Istanbul final. The lad was a class above from his first match against Bolton.

I know one for thing for sure I'd take a below par Alonso over a fully firing on all cylinders Lucas Leiva.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Apr 07, 2010 12:53:53 pm
      I know one for thing for sure I'd take a below par Alonso over a fully firing on all cylinders Lucas Leiva.

Sniff... Wouldn't we all. Anyone who says we don't miss Alonso check out what happened to Madrid when he missed the Champions League KO stage.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Apr 07, 2010 12:56:54 pm

Don't know mate theres one or two think the whole world revolves around Lucas Leiva, when in fact it revolves around the sun, which just happens to shine out of my arse. :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Apr 07, 2010 01:04:08 pm
      Don't know mate theres one or two think the whole world revolves around Lucas Leiva, when in fact it revolves around the sun, which just happens to shine out of my arse. :)
      I was wondering what the smell was....

I still think we need a quality signing for midfield. Fair enough if Aquilani then comes good we can then offload a midfielder in January but to approach next year in the same manner as this one will be foolish. I am glad to see Rafa put so many reserves out on loan, which might indicate a determination to have them feature more prominantly next year but all our top reserve players are either forwards or wide men. For me we need a midfielder and a left back this summer along with the injection of Nemeth, Pacheco, Amoo and Eccleston
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #52: Apr 07, 2010 01:07:52 pm
      Good comments from Torres.

I entirely agree with him.  Worrying that in some respects he is drawing comparison between us and Atletico three years ago.

But then I'll bet Rafa started making comparisons with us and the Valencia 'lightshade' scenario a while back.

I highlighted after the summer how important it was to build on last years improvement with signings that would excite the current players and keep them on the toes. That didn't happen and you can see what it did to the players' morale.

The other thing is that the title of this topic and that article was slightly misleading. He paid as much emphasis on a backroom voice like Hyypia leaving and the inability for the club to purchase new players, as he did on Alonso.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #53: Apr 07, 2010 01:21:56 pm
      What I am pointing out mate is that his previous time here was undistinguished relative to his last seaon with us which set the world alight and proved pivotal in our success that year.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #54: Apr 07, 2010 01:22:41 pm
      Basically what I was saying as well. Alonso was a vital cog last season, so inevitably his loss would hurt us - but given strong backing it should not have been much of an issue, just a readjustment period if anything.
      I agree, but also, we already had issues in other positions too, which made it even harder to deal with this. Rafa has been forced to make Kuyt into a right winger, sign Maxi for free and now also Jovanovic for free, and have Babel and Riera as our left wingers, all for lack of funding. We all know that if we would've had more money to spend we would've been stronger in all those positions and more creative. Losing some influential players would've been easier to deal with, but we already had those unstable positions.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #55: Apr 07, 2010 01:26:59 pm
      ;D Don't worry bbb I read Johncolf's post I just don't like it when people call him Xavi that's all .

It's spelt Xabi but pronounced Xavi. His name is Xabier after Saint Xavier, but spelt that way because the Basques don't have a "v" in their language.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #56: Apr 07, 2010 01:34:09 pm
      It's spelt Xabi but pronounced Xavi. His name is Xabier after Saint Xavier, but spelt that way because the Basques don't have a "v" in their language.
      Well there's something we didn't know! So could they be called Vasques in that case?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #57: Apr 07, 2010 01:35:45 pm

i don't agree with everything 'he' says. 'he' says 'if you replace an engine, it takes a while to work'. i don't agree, if you replace an engine with f*** off awesome engine, it flies off the starting line no problem.

if you replace it with a pile of steaming horse manure (guess who i'm talking about?), then forget it taking a while to work, it'll take you backwards.

anyway, IF he has said this, credit to the man for speaking out. guardian don't normally bullsh*t though.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #58: Apr 07, 2010 01:39:18 pm
      Well there's something we didn't know! So could they be called Vasques in that case?

They are called Basques in French but Vascos in Spanish. They call themselves "Euskaldunak " So please yourself.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #59: Apr 07, 2010 01:40:13 pm

:lmao:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #60: Apr 07, 2010 01:41:18 pm
      Its not the sale of XABI Alonso that has wrecked our season its Benitez's failure to replace a vital cog to make our system function ,for 13m we could of had Wesley Snijder who would of   Slotted in no problem but the manager expected Lucas to fill in for 5/6months for the 20m crock that he took a massive gamble on , before anyone says we never paid 20m for Aquilanni up front , we wouldn't of paid Snijders fee up front either

are you sure? i thought inter paid the full amount for him? i wouldn't be surprised if the clinching deal for aquilani was the fact that roma agreed to stall his payments given his inury.

the financial situation the yanks have put us into would have forced rafa's hand to be honest.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #61: Apr 07, 2010 01:45:35 pm
      Sneijder cost 15 million and would have been a quality addition. Didn't happen. Alonso is gone.
      Main thing is we need to have that type of quality player come in this summer.
      Only problem is as Timberland once said...
      Aint got no money
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #62: Apr 07, 2010 01:53:04 pm
      are you sure? i thought inter paid the full amount for him? i wouldn't be surprised if the clinching deal for aquilani was the fact that roma agreed to stall his payments given his inury.

the financial situation the yanks have put us into would have forced rafa's hand to be honest.
      There looks to have been some wheeling and dealing with the Xabi deal and the Aquilani issue but the fact remains the manager did not have the benefit of the wedge from the the Alonso sale to juggle with and was as you say forced to take alternative steps.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Apr 07, 2010 01:57:33 pm
      Hmmm

Sami would have done no better then Sotis
      Arbe could have covered left back so could have been handy to have

Alonso..great player but are people so silly as to think we've dropped so far back because he left? Weve been crap this season end of. No real cover for Torres. Stevie has been off the boil Alonso's replacement has hardly played. Only consistent player from game 1 has been Pepe

So no its not because Alonso went its many things
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #64: Apr 07, 2010 01:58:36 pm
      They are called Basques in French but Vascos in Spanish. They call themselves "Euskaldunak " So please yourself.
      The Spanish are said to have great influence in the region which I suppose is the reason for all the kick offs over there.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #65: Apr 07, 2010 02:32:03 pm
      Can't disagree with what he is saying. Except Hyypia wasn't sold as such :f_whistle:
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #66: Apr 07, 2010 03:32:42 pm
      Read a similar story in my paper this morning and to some extent I do agree with him.

We all know that Lucas/Masch aren't Alonso so don't do his job and Aquilani who was meant to be a direct replacement, hasn't been fit or played much this season. And Arbeloa for me is better at Johnson at defending but Johnson is better than Arbeloa was at attacking. Yes, we didn't need to let Hyypia go on a free but when he has played, Sotis has done just as good a job, but argueably did we need to buy him, could we have just kept Sami?

But the sales in the summer is not the only contributing factor to our poor season, it's been other things such as a mixed results, no cover for Torres, Stevie not on the same form as last season...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #67: Apr 07, 2010 03:42:23 pm

So no its not because Alonso went its many things
      Is correct Brian there are people who say it was the mangers fault that Alonso went but that is unqualified bollocks and by association they try to link our quiet season to his not being here, with the obvious conclusion that too is the managers fault.
      The top and bottom of the Alonso deal is that Rafa was not given the monies up front to replace him and we know where the blame lies for that, there are so many reasons this season did not live up to expectations and like the Alonso saga are not all attributable to the manager.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #68: Apr 07, 2010 05:19:23 pm
      I've been watching last season's matches over again recently, and I've been watching how much Xabi created from midfield - constantly spraying passes left and right. The occasional through-ball too.

But from what I've seen of Aquilani, he's quicker on and off the ball, more creative (looks for more through-balls) and gets in the box more. I know which player I'd rather have, when fit of course.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #69: Apr 07, 2010 05:39:25 pm
      I dont like that article- doesnt sound like Nando atall!!

As for Arbeloa- i didnt rate him too much anyway,
      Hyypia was great for the team- but we have Greek who does the same job,
      And i dont think our sh*te season is down to Alonso- Next season, when Aquliani comes out of his shell (and rafa removes the cotton wool!) i believe we will no longer miss alonso.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #70: Apr 07, 2010 05:50:05 pm
      Gerrards passing is better and faster than Alonso's. Also Gerrard plays those defence breaking balls like he did against Birmingham. We do not have to miss Alonso we just choose to, its silly. We've got the players the manager just has to use them in the right way
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #71: Apr 07, 2010 05:51:50 pm
      I dont like that article- doesnt sound like Nando atall!!

As for Arbeloa- I didnt rate him too much anyway,
      Hyypia was great for the team- but we have Greek who does the same job,
      And I dont think our sh*te season is down to Alonso- Next season, when Aquliani comes out of his shell (and rafa removes the cotton wool!) I believe we will no longer miss alonso.

I agree with what missy torres is saying. if we manage to hold onto the spine of our team

reina

jc          agger

aquilani           mascha

stevie

torres

that is a class spine of a team, i don't care what anyone says, but that's better than manure and arsenal's spine. chavs have expensive class players but ours is awesome.

we just need another class striker, attacking winger and a lb who can f***in defend. i don't see how we can't achieve that by offloading some dead wood to raise cash. if the two jonnies actually put SOME cash in, we could even think about buying some class players. doesn't have to be all doom n gloom.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #72: Apr 07, 2010 05:52:21 pm
      Gerrards passing is better and faster than Alonso's. Also Gerrard plays those defence breaking balls like he did against Birmingham. We do not have to miss Alonso we just choose to, its silly. We've got the players the manager just has to use them in the right way
      Gerrards strength is in the hole making runs and linking up with Torres. Aquilani will be able to do that and have the pin point passes also. Gerrards passing isn't of Alonso or Aquilani's calibre

I've been watching last season's matches over again recently, and I've been watching how much Xabi created from midfield - constantly spraying passes left and right. The occasional through-ball too.

But from what I've seen of Aquilani, he's quicker on and off the ball, more creative (looks for more through-balls) and gets in the box more. I know which player I'd rather have, when fit of course.

Couldn't agree more. If the new pyshio team gets Aquilani right we will all hail Rafa a genius.
      Aquilani not only can put a quality pass through but he can make the runs into the box too....So IF he can get sorted over the summer we will have someone even better than Alonso because Aquilani can pass and move. Quicker on the ball too which would stop the likes of Chelski being able to shut us down like they did last year.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #73: Apr 07, 2010 05:56:03 pm
      thanku!!

Selling some players would be good- although i dont think we need to buy too many- Just a left back, and a decet replacement for Torres.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #74: Apr 07, 2010 06:00:48 pm
      I really don't think it was Alonso's fault . Well maybe at the begging f the season I guess the lads were a bit down with him leaving but I don't think that that's problem right now . If it was because of him we would've been in deeper sh*t this season the way you guys are saying this its like we would've been relegated without Alonso but we're not . I agree we're in a pretty sh*t position for Liverpool FC but that's not due to one player leaving . I agree at time we miss his creativity but this is because other players are NOT performing at the level they should . We have so many reason to blame our piss poor form bad defending from our DEFENCE or our finishing off chances being more clinical ....this is due to the ABSENCE of Torres ...which is not Alonso's fault . It is the fact that the players we're not performing at their level best ,. Do you think Stevie's bad for was due to Alonso going ? And also the lack of investment by those two bloody cowboys is also a reason .We can't sit here and blame Alonso ,  he's gone now . I mean look at the performance against Sunderland , Again the Mancs at home and even Portsmouth for that matter , was Alonso there ? No . Or even last season the 4-1 win at old Trafford was Alonso in midfield ? No . I'm not  trying to praise Lucas or anything , I'm not bringing him into the picture , it's just that the way you guys describe this situation it would've been like those victories wouldn't even of been possible without Alonso , but we did it . And we can do that again . CONSISTENCY is the problem , players not being FIT is the problem , not having Sami ( oh how I miss you Big Finn !) is a BIG problem with that blip . But now that can also be fixed , Agger is becoming fitter now and is playing more games ! We do miss Alonso but not to the extent that it has made our season sh*t .

Like redkeny said some quotes could have been made up , even though the guardian is a credible source , . But if these words are Nando , I'm sorry as much as I love him and want to agree with him , I'll have to say no , it's not because of Alonso we've been inconsistent .
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #75: Apr 07, 2010 06:13:33 pm
      Gerrards strength is in the hole making runs and linking up with Torres. Aquilani will be able to do that and have the pin point passes also. Gerrards passing isn't of Alonso or Aquilani's calibre

......Are you being serious?? Gerrards best position isn't in that bloody hole. He just gets lost there. It worked last season but this season nearly every team is playing a man behind the striker so everyone knows and since Gerrard's movement sucks he never gets picked up or is constantly marked. Aquilani's passing has been terrible this season. Alonso only played long balls and balls to the side, I can't remember him playing a defence breaking through ball, and if he did it they were few and far between. Gerrard's range of passing is greater than Alonso's and his link up play is better which makes him more dangerous breaking from midfield. We drew 11 games last season, if Alonso was so important to us he would have been able to break the defence.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #76: Apr 07, 2010 06:42:43 pm
      think all the crictism from torres is a red flag he will walk at the end of the serason. he is very unhappy a change of scenery is what he is looking at
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #77: Apr 07, 2010 07:10:51 pm
      The absolutely sickening thing about all this... it was there for the taking this season. A little investment and the fat yank bas**rds could be wallowing in all the money a title win brings in. The mancs, chavskis and the arse have all been sh*te. And City, Spurs and Villa only appear to have had a good season mainly because we've been so sh*te.

But this is nothing new. It's nothing we haven't known since Hicks views on Weetabix, on field success and brand loyalty became public. And until the pair of shyster bas**rds are gone, nothing's going to change.

So, as much as I don't mind Nando or any other player having a go at the owners, they really need to do it in a better way.

What is the point in making the 4 or 5 players statement? What's the point in making the players we have feel inadequate because of ones that have left?

So, as I say, nothing against Nando having a pop at the owners. In fact, there's other high profile players who should be doing exactly the same. But low morale and confidence doesn't need knocking down anymore. Bit of a rick there in my opinion.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #78: Apr 07, 2010 07:19:35 pm
      The absolutely sickening thing about all this... it was there for the taking this season. A little investment and the fat yank bas**rds could be wallowing in all the money a title win brings in. The mancs, chavskis and the arse have all been sh*te. And City, Spurs and Villa only appear to have had a good season mainly because we've been so sh*te.

But this is nothing new. It's nothing we haven't known since Hicks views on Weetabix, on field success and brand loyalty became public. And until the pair of shyster bas**rds are gone, nothing's going to change.

Got to agree with that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #79: Apr 07, 2010 07:29:13 pm
      ......Are you being serious?? Gerrards best position isn't in that bloody hole. He just gets lost there. It worked last season but this season nearly every team is playing a man behind the striker so everyone knows and since Gerrard's movement sucks he never gets picked up or is constantly marked. Aquilani's passing has been terrible this season. Alonso only played long balls and balls to the side, I can't remember him playing a defence breaking through ball, and if he did it they were few and far between. Gerrard's range of passing is greater than Alonso's and his link up play is better which makes him more dangerous breaking from midfield. We drew 11 games last season, if Alonso was so important to us he would have been able to break the defence.

That is the biggest load of rambling bollocks I have ever heard, congratulations mate, go sit on the naughty step with your dunces hat.

I've seen some sh*te typed on here but that is fooking Hilarious, why do you think Gerrard in the hole worked so well last season ?, because he had a midfielder behind him who could pick out a pass and release him at the earliest the opportunity. As for your comments about Xabi, thats why Madrid paid 30 million for him, now I suggest you go watch a few youtube vidoes of Alonso and educate yourself theres a good lad.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #80: Apr 07, 2010 07:57:38 pm
      I agree with what Torres has said but what i find quite funny is that there has always been two camps. The one that thinks Alonso leaving has been one of the main reasons for this terrible season or theres the one that arent having any of that.

But now Torres has came out and more or less said the same thing, that losing Alonso has been a major factor the two camps are now the ones that agree and now the other camp just dont believe Torres would make such a statement.

I dont understand just because a player we all idolise speaks out and states the obvious that we automatically think the entire story is fabricated.

He has highlighted the problem at maybe the wrong time and yes there are many more issues other than these players leaving but he is obviously well and truly pissed off.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #81: Apr 07, 2010 08:14:14 pm
      No doubt Arbeloa is a more stable right back, no doubt Hyypia would of led us through our defensive mess this season and no doubt Alonso adds what only 2 or 3 others in the world can.

We've missed them big time. Torres speaks like a fan of the club and once again I agree with him.
      I think Arbeola wanted to move though didn't he? Big Sami was past his best, it was his time to move on, He was the best centre back we've ever had in my opinion ( along with Hansen ) so replacing him was impossible. I honestly think Rafa fu**ed up with Alonso though!!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #82: Apr 07, 2010 08:23:07 pm

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Alonso's passing range is far superior to Gerrard's. Alonso CONSTANTLY found Gerrard last season, which is why he is in such "bad" form this season. And he did play defence-splitting balls. Not as much as Aquilani, but he did.

Now, is there any coincidence that Gerrard plays better whenever Aquilani plays? Aquilani not only looks for Gerrard, but further ahead towards Torres aswell. He doesn't hit it out towards the flanks as much as Alonso would, but why would you need to when you can play a pass straight through the opposition's defence towards one of our danger men?
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #83: Apr 07, 2010 09:45:30 pm
      That is the biggest load of rambling bollocks I have ever heard, congratulations mate, go sit on the naughty step with your dunces hat.

I've seen some sh*te typed on here but that is fooking Hilarious, why do you think Gerrard in the hole worked so well last season ?, because he had a midfielder behind him who could pick out a pass and release him at the earliest the opportunity. As for your comments about Xabi, thats why Madrid paid 30 million for him, now I suggest you go watch a few youtube vidoes of Alonso and educate yourself theres a good lad.
      What happened at bolton last season? What happens Everytime a team has 1 player man marking Gerrard? He gets lost and he's ineffective. Last season teams weren't that aware of the single striker with a man in the "hole". This season nearly everyone is doing it and all teams work on defending it. And as for the 30 million that doesn't mean anything. Utd paid 30 mil for Berbatov who is nowhere near that worth. We paid 20 mil for keane who is no where near that worth. Gerrard plays more direct than Xabi and plays through balls much better. How exactly does Alonso have a bigger passing range? Gerrard knows how to play a long ball as good as anyone.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #84: Apr 07, 2010 09:47:02 pm
      What happened at bolton last season? What happens Everytime a team has 1 player man marking Gerrard? He gets lost and he's ineffective. Last season teams weren't that aware of the single striker with a man in the "hole". This season nearly everyone is doing it and all teams work on defending it. And as for the 30 million that doesn't mean anything. Utd paid 30 mil for Berbatov who is nowhere near that worth. We paid 20 mil for keane who is no where near that worth. Gerrard plays more direct than Xabi and plays through balls much better. How exactly does Alonso have a bigger passing range? Gerrard knows how to play a long ball as good as anyone.

He plays long balls, sure, but not as good, or as often, as Alonso does.

It's your opinion, but I'm pretty sure 90% will agree with RLB.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #85: Apr 08, 2010 01:38:43 am
      What good is it coming out with this on the eve of a big game?
      I've had this debate on here before, but sometimes I wish Rafa would tell Torres to 'know your role and shut your mouth!!'
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #86: Apr 08, 2010 02:05:19 am
      I think Arbeola wanted to move though didn't he? Big Sami was past his best, it was his time to move on, He was the best centre back we've ever had in my opinion ( along with Hansen ) so replacing him was impossible. I honestly think Rafa fu**ed up with Alonso though!!

Your right mate. It was out of our hands though with all three and it may have taken the manager by surprise. I would definitely of thought Hyypia would agree to a contract.

Alonso and Arbeloa were being courted by the biggest club in their homeland and a club they both wanted to play for.
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #87: Apr 08, 2010 10:00:06 am
      Sami doesn't feel wanted or appreciated enough, surely he can understand he can not play 50+ games / year, but I believe Rafa should ahve done better with him, perhaps a better approach.

Alonso discussion has been done to death

Arbeloa Either we didn't squeeze enough from Real Madrid or we're paying way to much for a slight improvement.

This statements from Torres means more than just showing us what's happening, but this means he's already fed up. And I fear he won't be here for too long.

Quick Reply