Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Baseball regular season

Read 105466 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #46: May 19, 2010 01:15:53 am
      Yes , it's a very common tactic.
      Most times they do it , it's to set up a double play. I didnt see that game, but they usually do it with runners on 2nd or 3rd base (or both) and less than 2 outs. What it does is create a force out at every base. They are banking the batter will hit a ground ball in the infield and the infielder can get an 'force out' at every base including home, or turn a double play which would end the inning.
      It doesn't always work, but statistically its the right move, especially when they "intentionally walk" a really good hitter to pitch to someone who's not as much a threat.
      Like BigV said though, walking Tex to pitch to A-Rod is not that smart considering A-Rod is like 7th all-time in HR's. Duh

Ah, of course. The double-play, i had heard that but forgot until you mentioned it. Thanks for that :)

Still, i don't see the worth in it when you walk a sh*te hitter. And like you again mentioned, that one against the Yankees for the Twins. Lost them the game that.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #47: May 19, 2010 05:47:15 am
      I think we all realize its all a bit of fun mate, not a real curse ;) Though you never know....
      Hey, you almost had it man! Only some A-Rod magic stole it. And are you a Celtics fan? Cos that must be good at least :D

I am actually not a Celtics fan, the only reason I love the Sox is because I lived in Connecticut during the summers. I live in Indianapolis and I am a big Pacer fan.......yeah it's not to good right now. But I still keep high spirits up.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #48: May 19, 2010 05:48:58 am
      Tell that to a Cubs fan ;)

We all know there are no real curses, but when a team doesn't win for 100 years, even the most optomistic fan starts thinking the team is cursed. It's like, we cant actually be this bad, so it must be a 'curse'. It's kinda said as a joke.

Believe me I know....I heard it non-stop with Boston. I guess anything is possible. It's good more people are watching baseball, I love it. Not more than football though (Not American).
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #49: May 19, 2010 05:53:21 am
      I wish we could all go to a pub and watch the games football and baseball....it would be a blast!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #50: May 19, 2010 06:15:53 am
      Another Yankee-Sox classic.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #51: May 19, 2010 07:11:34 am
      I am actually not a Celtics fan, the only reason I love the Sox is because I lived in Connecticut during the summers. I live in Indianapolis and I am a big Pacer fan.......yeah it's not to good right now. But I still keep high spirits up.

Oh right. Well, im a Knicks fan as well. So i know what you mean :D

I wish we could all go to a pub and watch the games football and baseball....it would be a blast!

Is right!

Really? Thought it was sh*t personally...

;)

Something about these two teams that just brings out EPIC games all the time!

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #52: May 19, 2010 04:45:50 pm
      Oh right. Well, im a Knicks fan as well. So I know what you mean :D

Is right!

Really? Thought it was sh*t personally...

;)

Something about these two teams that just brings out EPIC games all the time!

The Knicks are going to improve vastly with all the money they have to spend....and the Sox-Yanks really is one of the best rivalry in sports.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #53: May 19, 2010 07:24:56 pm
      Cheers for the info lfcbronx. Makes sense.

Pretty sure it backfired.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #54: May 21, 2010 10:19:22 am
      Cheers for the info lfcbronx. Makes sense.

Pretty sure it backfired.

Very rarely does it work. If they put a man on on purpose they have to pitch the next guy low which is the only way to get a ground ball for the chance of a double play. Most players will then sit on that pitch making it almost unlikely they wont drive it.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #55: May 25, 2010 11:43:06 pm
      Been happy to watch my Padres pitching staff do quite well so far. That's bound to regress but for the time being it's made the season fun. Have to say though if it weren't for Fantasy Baseball I wouldn't give a sh*t about this season. Baseball + steroids left me bitter at the game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #56: May 26, 2010 01:24:49 am
      Padres having an up and down season. Not really putting any run together.

Of course, i don't know who is sh*t or not in the league's anyway so i don't know if that's good for them or not.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #57: May 26, 2010 05:06:33 pm
      It's good and bad. Good because maybe some fans will actually attend the games this season, and it's good for our young players to win. Bad, because our GM may see this as a chance to make the playoffs and trade off some younger players for a veteran bat or two. I hope for some sustained growth to be a consistent force every year, instead of one decent season to make the playoffs.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #58: May 27, 2010 05:08:06 pm
      Fair thought that and i would agree with it.

Same thing happened with my local rugby league team and now we have a side to rival the best.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #59: May 27, 2010 07:11:48 pm
      Same thing as in they traded in young players and mortgaged the future, or let the team grow from the bottom up?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #60: May 30, 2010 03:23:57 am
      Yankees v Red Sox is an epic rivalry.  Actually all NY v Boston is good.  Its 2 cities which truly hate each other and its more than sports. Boston hates NY and NY hates Boston, thats the way it is. It wont change.

Its Liverpool / Man U.  You know its going to be good, you know the crowd is ready to go off and its a great atmosphere. I have been to a dozen Yankee/Sox games.  2 ALCS in the RF Bleachers in 99'. Honestly were a bunch of drunken, pissed off Irish and Italians who hate each other. Although, we both hate Philly too....so we have that in common.

But, I will give them due respect. The Red Sox held a moment of silence a few days after 9-11 and it showed respect and class. So instead of hating Boston 100% its only 99.9%..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #61: May 30, 2010 03:30:55 am
      Same thing as in they traded in young players and mortgaged the future, or let the team grow from the bottom up?

Let the team grow from bottom up. Got a host of locally produced stars. 16 out of the current 27 are made in the area and we're currently 2nd on the ladder.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: May 31, 2010 09:57:06 pm
      Who watched the Angels v Seattle?

What a F***ing ending that was!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #63: May 31, 2010 11:05:25 pm
      Who watched the Angels v Seattle?

What a f**king ending that was!

I watched the first game of their series, was nothing special - which finish are you talking about? Saw nothing on Sportscenter last night, but i missed the start of it.

A-Rod hit a grand slam today in helping the yanks to a 11-2 win ;D Now just 10 HR's away from 600 career homers!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #64: Jun 01, 2010 01:31:05 am
      This Fisher from the Reds is F***ing woeful!

I think it was 2 days ago, Dave. Home run with 3-2 count on the last inning at 7-6 down and got three home.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #65: Jun 01, 2010 01:48:04 am
      Ohh i did see that actually. That's clutch right there, 3-2 count and down in the last, needing to smack it. That's what literally separates the men from the boys, when you can pull that out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #66: Jun 01, 2010 01:57:26 am
      Were down 7-2 in the 4th, too. Great game.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #67: Jun 09, 2010 05:54:12 am
      Anyone catch highlights of Stephen Strasburg first start? This guy has been hyped for the past couple of years and this year did very well in the minors. Kid came out with a 14 K performance though it was Pittsburgh. Kid got a nasty curve ball and mixed in with is 100 mph fastball it is a deadly mix.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #68: Jun 09, 2010 05:56:20 am
      Anyone catch highlights of Stephen Strasburg first start? This guy has been hyped for the past couple of years and this year did very well in the minors. Kid came out with a 14 K performance though it was Pittsburgh. Kid got a nasty curve ball and mixed in with is 100 mph fastball it is a deadly mix.

I didn't see it, but i was meaning to look up some highlights. Seems like a good start, lets hope he handles the pressure.... and then signs for the Yankees when he's ready for a World Series ;)

Quick Reply