Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baseball regular season

Read 105433 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #552: Jan 28, 2012 02:16:18 am
      Fister ended up a good #2, scherzer had his up and downs but still had about 14 wins.  Brad penny was just horrible.  And they have one of the best set up men in the league in benoit.  Took him some time but he settled down.  And closers, well he was perfect for the season.
      Fister had a decent record in Detroit but before the trade from Seattle he was 3-12. But on the other hand he had a 2.80 ERA last season, which is the stat that counts.

I think they need 1 more good starter. Penny sucks, Valverde is a solid RP and Benoit is a good set up man. If they can get a solid #2 behind Verlander they could win the AL.  I think the AL is going to be nuts this season. Yankees, Tigers, Angels and Rangers are going to be rock solid. The Red Sox and Rays are the big questions. The Red Sox have a new GM and Coach. If they get Oswalt they will be a good team too. They lead the league in offense last year so their hitting is awesome but they choked in September so I dont know. I also dont trust Bobby Valentine. He always seems to cause trouble for his team. He has issues with players, coaches, management etc.. I was f***in' shocked that he got the Red Sox job. I dont see Valentine lasting in Boston.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #553: Jan 30, 2012 10:42:04 pm
      Did you see his whip in Seattle.  It was good there, problem was he got no run support.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #554: Mar 14, 2012 04:51:57 pm
      The A's are doing great on Spring Training. Should I look at it with excitement, or results at this stage mean nothing?

Oh, and Cespedes. 8)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #555: Mar 15, 2012 01:27:00 am
      The A's are doing great on Spring Training. Should I look at it with excitement, or results at this stage mean nothing?

Oh, and Cespedes. 8)
      Spring training really means nothing. A lot of the guys playing wont even be on the regular roster. For the most part they are looking to backup roster positions and see who they have in the farm system. The main work in spring training is pitching. Pitchers need to get their arms ready and be evaluated for regular season because I dont know any other sport that is so detrimental to someones body or specifically arm and shoulder.  Their have been a ton of great pitchers who went through one season in the show and they destroyed their arm. Look at Kerry Wood or Mark Prior.  They throw so hard and after 20 starts their done.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #556: Mar 15, 2012 12:23:40 pm
      Oh that's a shame because I was starting to delude myself that maybe the A's wouldn't have that bad a season as some are predicting. :D

I wanna watch some baseball, but have no idea of where to download some spring training!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #557: Mar 16, 2012 02:51:12 am
      Oh that's a shame because I was starting to delude myself that maybe the A's wouldn't have that bad a season as some are predicting. :D

I wanna watch some baseball, but have no idea of where to download some spring training!
      I dont know where you can download spring training games, but you can probably watch them on myp2p.eu which is a sports peer stream.

If your interested in learning about Baseball and becoming a fan of the game, I strongly recommend NOT watching spring training.  Spring training is nothing but practice for the players. You dont get to see to many of the starting pitchers for more than 2 innings, the starting fielders dont really play all out and sometimes dont even play 9 innings.  Their is no getting around the fact that Baseball can be very boring at times. Thats why I recommend not watching spring training games. After 30 minutes you'll be pulling your eyes out from boredom.

I would go on youtube and try and watch the really good games. Watch World Series games from the last 5 years or ALCS or NLCS.  Watch games where a record was broken or a no hitter, perfect game. Watch games with good teams...Yankees, Red Sox, Brewers, Detroit, Cardinals, Phillies, Giants. I would watch Cubs games too. They never have a good team but you wont find any team with more diehard, passionate fans then the Cubs. Plus Wrigley field is a MECCA for Baseball. Its a beautiful, turn of the century 100+ year old stadium with a Ivy covered wall and terraces in the outfield. It still has the original scoreboard, people living across the street from the ground sit on top of the roof's of the old buildings and watch the game.  Its a great, great ballpark. I have been very lucky to go their a lot when I was young.  Its the Anfield of American stadiums and actually so is Fenway Park but I'm partial to Wrigley.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #558: Mar 20, 2012 01:10:48 pm
      I didn't know spring training was that bad, but I didn't get to watch any games anyway, so... :D I just can't wait for the season to start. A's vs Mariners in Japan - that one I certainly want to watch.

I've watched a few documentaries (such as 'Four Days in October' and 'Catching Hell'), also read 'Moneyball' and am currently reading 'The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball'. I downloaded some World Series classic games but still haven't watched most of them.

I love baseball culture and how nerd this game can be :D The game itself can be very boring sometimes, but I was lucky enough to have watched last years' World Series which is regarded as one of the best ever and am looking forward to my first full season as a baseball fan.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #559: Mar 21, 2012 11:12:08 pm
      Yeah Diego, preseason is pretty much worthless, although you can see some of the future talent some teams have play on a regular basis.

I'm actually excited for this season. First time in a while. I have no reason to be, as the Padres will probably be sh*t again, but I can always watch the Marlins to perk me up a bit. Wondering if Hanley can bounce back.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #560: Mar 22, 2012 08:04:45 pm
      Just spotted this trailer, for anyone interested.

100 years of Fenway Park

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20233077&tcid=fb_BOS_20233077&c_id=bos
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #561: Mar 28, 2012 01:59:05 am
      Just watched It.  Great Documentary. I love the Yank's and it might be wrong, but since they tore down Ruths house, the Sox have the best park in the AL, historically and architecturally. 2nd best in the league, behind Wrigley.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #562: Mar 28, 2012 03:11:33 pm
      Disappointing season opener for the A's fans. Lost 3-1 after 11 innings to the Mariners at the Tokyo Dome.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #563: Mar 29, 2012 11:49:06 pm
      Not a bad 2nd game in Japan though... A's 4-1 M's. Cespedes is a legend in the making, and Colon was superb as well!
      liverbirdie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #564: Apr 03, 2012 09:39:44 am
      I'm a Blue Jays fan...another season of pain I expect.  Anyone else read The Art OF Fielding ?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #565: Apr 05, 2012 12:18:04 am
      I'm a Blue Jays fan...another season of pain I expect.  Anyone else read The Art OF Fielding ?

Sorry for you, being in the AL East. Blue Jays would do very well in the Central.

Marlins, my second team and the team I followed as a boy growing up in Miami, starting off tonight against the defending World Series champs. Hoping for a good season in their new stadium, but I just can't see Miami fans flocking to baseball games, which is crazy given how many Cubans there are in Miami. I wonder what the prices are like there.

Best of luck to all you fans :) Well, everyone but Dodgers, Giants, Dbacks, Rockies, Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves fans. You guys can all have sh*t seasons thank you :D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #566: Apr 05, 2012 01:27:50 am
      Sorry for you, being in the AL East. Blue Jays would do very well in the Central.

Marlins, my second team and the team I followed as a boy growing up in Miami, starting off tonight against the defending World Series champs. Hoping for a good season in their new stadium, but I just can't see Miami fans flocking to baseball games, which is crazy given how many Cubans there are in Miami. I wonder what the prices are like there.

Best of luck to all you fans :) Well, everyone but Dodgers, Giants, Dbacks, Rockies, Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves fans. You guys can all have sh*t seasons thank you :D
      Yeah, Miami is a lousy Baseball town. As you pointed out it should be huge with the Cuban and Dominican populations. I think the Issue is that people didnt want to sit in blistering heat for 3 1/2 hours, then wait on the inevitable rain delay.  I think the new park will change that, hopefully. It seems like a great ballpark, it looks awesome, retractable roof for day games and then open air for night games.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #567: Apr 05, 2012 09:48:47 pm
      There's just so much else to do in a town like Miami, who wants to watch a baseball game that is overpriced?

Real Opening Day is here! Awesome!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #568: Apr 05, 2012 11:45:20 pm
      There's just so much else to do in a town like Miami, who wants to watch a baseball game that is overpriced?

Real Opening Day is here! Awesome!
      Their are only a handful of "True" Opening Day parks.  I have been to 3 Wrigley, Fenway and Turner Field.  Turner Field was ok, nothing special, Shitty area, decent park.  Fenway is just an all around great Ballpark, Its still in a neighborhood, a lot of narrow streets w/ bars and restaurants. Its just a good experience and I'm a Yankee fan.  But I still think Wrigley has it beat. All the plus's of Fenway. A good neighborhood w/ bars,restaurants, shops etc.. A great atmosphere but I think the Bleachers in Center field give Wrigley the edge. Fenway has the Green Monster but Wrigley has the Ivy. Its even better during the summer.  Its like a Baseball game broke out during Mardi Gras. Cheap seats, cold beer, hot dogs and when its hot, its like Ass soup.  Women all over, wearing bikini's and swilling beer. God I love Wrigley.

If anyone who comes to the US for the first time and wants to see a Baseball game, if you can, go to Wrigley or Fenway. It will only take an hour of sitting their to see why we love Baseball. Especially if you go to Fenway and the Yanks are in town. Not family friendly w/ the Yankees in town though. Expect some Aggro.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #569: Apr 06, 2012 12:13:00 am
      My tigers just beat the red sox in their opening day.  Verlander was just quality.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #570: Apr 06, 2012 05:24:13 am
      My tigers just beat the red sox in their opening day.  Verlander was just quality.
      I used to wonder how the Chicago Cubs were consistent losers, until today!  The whole "Curse" theory is just complete bullshit, Its lousy coaching.

So, maybe I missed something and the strategy of Baseball has had a major change in the last year. But, I doubt it.

Opening day at Wrigley.  Cubs vs Nats.  Its top of the 9th. Nat's lead 2-1. 1 out.  Ian Stewart smacks a triple.  They bring in Joe Mather to pinch run. So, now Cubs have the tying run on 3rd and 1 out.  Next batter comes up, pitcher sets, the Cubs try the squeeze play. Of course they caught him and he was out at the plate.   So, now its man on 1st and 2 outs and their still down 2-1 in the top of the 9th. Then the next batter wiffed and the Cubs lost 2-1.

Can anyone who knows baseball tell me I'm wrong in thinking that was the stupidest coaching decision in the history of baseball.  All they needed was a sac fly, base hit or any number of f***in' hits and they tie the game and possibly have the winning run on base and 1 out. Just an awful decision.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #571: Apr 08, 2012 12:05:06 am
      Cubs don't really have much power.  But yes a sac fly would have done it.  The tigers did it against the red sox on Thursday in the 8th inning. 

Also on another note 10-0 over the red sox right now:D
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #572: Apr 10, 2012 12:55:33 am
      Red Sox vs Jays tonight. Come on Sox!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #573: Apr 10, 2012 01:41:52 pm
      It's so cool to have games nearly every day. Each game is individually less important than, say, a football league match, but it's nice to have so many games to watch.

The A's won last night by the way, 1-0 against the Royals.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #574: Apr 11, 2012 03:07:00 am
      It's so cool to have games nearly every day. Each game is individually less important than, say, a football league match, but it's nice to have so many games to watch.

The A's won last night by the way, 1-0 against the Royals.

Yeah, I mean with Liverpool I always have to be in front of the tv the entire game. But with the Red Sox I can eat dinner and have conversations as most Red Sox games last 3+ hours. Love Cespedes and his abilities. Feel like Oakland made a great buy in the Dominican League with him. He strikes out a little too much but he is a rookie so its to be expected.

Quick Reply