Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baseball regular season

Read 105419 times
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #644: Oct 01, 2014 05:37:57 pm
      Baseball is cruel :(

A's @ Royals was one of the best games I've ever watched, but in a mean, cruel, soul crushing way. :(

Told ya not to be an A's fan  ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #645: Oct 02, 2014 07:28:06 pm

Haha. Have to say Yankees were never on my list though... I considered the Red Sox for a little while, just because watching Four Days In October made me very interested in the game, but rapidly gave up the idea (I would have seen my team win a World Series last year though!). I also considered the Cardinals because it was watching the 2011 World Series that I really became a baseball fan, game 6 in particular... but then also decided against it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #646: Apr 10, 2015 01:30:10 am
      Anybody caught any of the games so far since the opening day of the season? I've watched the past couple of Red Sox games, getting quite into it which I didn't expect really.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #647: Apr 10, 2015 03:54:33 pm
      Anybody caught any of the games so far since the opening day of the season? I've watched the past couple of Red Sox games, getting quite into it which I didn't expect really.

Watched the two Oakland A's game which they've won so far. They lost the other two... it must be my fault!
      Baseball is great. I love the fact there's always a game on during the season, as they play nearly every day.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #648: Apr 10, 2015 09:46:09 pm
      Watched the two Oakland A's game which they've won so far. They lost the other two... it must be my fault!
      Baseball is great. I love the fact there's always a game on during the season, as they play nearly every day.

I didn't watch last season, seems I missed nothing being a distant follower of the Red Sox but watched the two seasons before that. I'm going to try and watch a lot more of it, other teams too. The hours are awkward with it being on early hours of the morning most times but able to record it whenever they're on TV. I agree about your latter comment, I love how games are so frequent. Must be great for the fans to be able to go see them on so many occasions.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #649: Apr 11, 2015 09:45:51 am
      Can't believe I actually stayed up and watched the entire Red Sox & Yankees game last night/this morning, lasted 19 innings, only had about 3 hours sleep :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #650: Jul 27, 2015 10:08:32 am
      Heading stateside for a month on Thursday and have planned, among other things, four nights in Chicago with the missus from 11th-15th August. On my (quite extensive) bucket list is I hope - over time - to get to every MLB stadium at least once. Have been to a few games in San Francisco (what a place that is!), been to Dodger Stadium (and will be again on this trip) and have been to Yankee Stadium (unfortunately only the new).

So as I'm in Chicago for those few days, the Cubs have a home stand against the Brewers, ecstatic to finally experience Wrigley! And then on the 14th the Cubs take a short trip south and visit their neighbors in the White Sox at US Cellular. So within a couple days I'll knock off a couple stadiums on the list and just get to experience some good old fashioned ball park hangs. Pretty stoked about it.

Small side-note as well, Bears hosting the Dolphins in preseason football as well so will be catching that. Needless to say where my tourism dollar lands whenever I visit major cities :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #651: Jul 29, 2015 02:59:58 pm
      Heading stateside for a month on Thursday and have planned, among other things, four nights in Chicago with the missus from 11th-15th August. On my (quite extensive) bucket list is I hope - over time - to get to every MLB stadium at least once. Have been to a few games in San Francisco (what a place that is!), been to Dodger Stadium (and will be again on this trip) and have been to Yankee Stadium (unfortunately only the new).

So as I'm in Chicago for those few days, the Cubs have a home stand against the Brewers, ecstatic to finally experience Wrigley! And then on the 14th the Cubs take a short trip south and visit their neighbors in the White Sox at US Cellular. So within a couple days I'll knock off a couple stadiums on the list and just get to experience some good old fashioned ball park hangs. Pretty stoked about it.

Small side-note as well, Bears hosting the Dolphins in preseason football as well so will be catching that. Needless to say where my tourism dollar lands whenever I visit major cities :D

I hope you enjoy the South Side!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #652: Aug 15, 2015 11:09:01 am
      It's been reported today that the Red Sox manager has stage 1 lymphoma so here's hoping he has a healthy recovery from the treatment he is due to have. Of course he will be stepping aside for the remainder of the Baseball season and the assistant coach - Torey Lovullo - will take over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33942101
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #653: Sep 26, 2015 02:46:37 am
      How are people feeling about the Cubs this year? *Does all the voodoo magic to counteract all curses*
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #654: Oct 16, 2015 08:54:58 am
      How are people feeling about the Cubs this year? *Does all the voodoo magic to counteract all curses*
      Im Feeling good. Been a Cubs fan forever. Just beat the dreaded Cards for a trip to the NLCS. Amazing.  This team is loaded with talent and they are all so young. Could be a dynasty team like the Braves were in the 90's. They are so fun to watch. Im absolutely BUZZING.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #655: Oct 19, 2015 07:01:37 pm
      Hoping for a Jays vs Mets World Series.

I miss Donaldson and Cespedes. Badly
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #656: Nov 02, 2015 07:10:22 pm
      Hats off to the Royals.  Incredible team.  It's gonna take some time for me to get over this loss.  Great season for the Mets considering we were expected to not even be in the playoff picture.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #657: Apr 05, 2016 03:31:26 am
      Baseball is back!
      Watching the A's vs the White Sox right now.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #658: Oct 20, 2016 10:44:43 am
      Feel like this should be retitled just 'Major League Baseball' or something?

PS, how we feeling about playoffs right now fellow baseball fans? Cubs gonna do it?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #659: Oct 28, 2016 04:48:09 pm
      PS, how we feeling about playoffs right now fellow baseball fans? Cubs gonna do it?

I'm a jays fan I was very disappointed about getting shut down by the Indians who were missing 2 great pitchers in Salazar and Carreaso. I was reading on twitter today in Chicago there are fans lining up at the bars around the field at 5:30am to get ready for game 3 tonight 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #660: Nov 03, 2016 05:05:00 am
      :o
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #661: Nov 03, 2016 03:43:08 pm
      watched a bit of that last night.glad chicago won it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #662: Jul 16, 2017 12:58:05 am
      So what's this baseball all about? Switched onto Red Sox v Yankees (which is America's equivalent of Liverpool v Mancs right?) and see they play each other something like 4 times in two days? Why?! I'm guessing these games are played until there is a winner which is why this game has lasted so long?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #663: Aug 07, 2017 11:23:18 pm
      So what's this baseball all about? Switched onto Red Sox v Yankees (which is America's equivalent of Liverpool v Mancs right?) and see they play each other something like 4 times in two days? Why?! I'm guessing these games are played until there is a winner which is why this game has lasted so long?

Regular season has 160 odd games,cos of distance between cities,they always play a 2/3 game series.Sometimes play double headers 2 games in one day if the weather cancels games.Dull as F**k to me but i know a few people that really get into it,one's an Evertonian so that might explain.....
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #664: Aug 22, 2017 08:57:40 am

Defo spot on with the rivalry comparison. Probably lost a bit of lustre with the Red Sox finally breaking their hoodoo in 2004, and then the Yankees being sh*t for a few years. But both teams fighting for division this year, bit of feeling back in it.

As Boston not LA said, 162 game regular season, so play every day except for a few off days every month. So they play series, 3-4 games at a time against a team. And as he also mentioned, if there is a rain out on one day then they'll play a doubleheader if possible to fit the games in still. Games always played until a winner as well, man I remember watching a Red Sox game until almost midnight when I lived in Oregon - that was almost 3am Boston time! :D

I love baseball myself. I know it's a boring sport to some, but I love it. Wife is from LA, Dodger fan - so she's hoping this is the year she sees them in the World Series for the first time in her life. We have tickets booked to LA during World Series time in case they make it, if not then we'll see some basketball and hockey anyway, and her family of course. But very much hoping to be watching some baseball!

I'm hoping the Yanks make it as well, but not sure how her family will like me bringing my Yankees cap and Jeter jersey :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #665: Aug 22, 2017 10:59:57 am
      I imagine their love of Baseball is as baffling to us as the love of cricket is to them.

It reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer has to stay tee-total for a month, he goes to a Baseball game and sits there
      looking around for a while before saying "I never realised how boring this game was"  :lmao: :lmao:

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjeoMuVyurVAhUQL1AKHWDoCAkQtwIILTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuMcfzTTKTaQ&usg=AFQjCNEz4pwCqlbMujD2YZ1LSzJ1ouQiow
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #666: Aug 24, 2017 01:54:46 am
      I imagine their love of Baseball is as baffling to us as the love of cricket is to them.

It reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer has to stay tee-total for a month, he goes to a Baseball game and sits there
      looking around for a while before saying "I never realised how boring this game was"  :lmao: :lmao:

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjeoMuVyurVAhUQL1AKHWDoCAkQtwIILTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuMcfzTTKTaQ&usg=AFQjCNEz4pwCqlbMujD2YZ1LSzJ1ouQiow

Someone opened a cricket themed bar in Cambridge,Ma lasted longer than i thought,2-3 years i think,but gone and is now an irish bar.

Quick Reply