Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Baseball regular season

Read 108768 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #92: Sep 21, 2010 08:23:36 am
      Was on One HD but a feed from YES Sports. I didn't really care but they Yankees did very well.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #93: Sep 21, 2010 11:10:26 am
      So do the Yankees ;)

We are the evil empire after all >:D

The Man Utd of baseball...

Go Mets!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #94: Sep 21, 2010 03:30:36 pm

Go Mets!

So the Mets would be like Manchester City then?  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #95: Sep 21, 2010 05:20:08 pm

Go Mets!

I resent that notion. Also, disagree - as the Yankees were the original and best, just like Liverpool ;)

:lmao:
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #96: Sep 21, 2010 06:07:17 pm
      I resent that notion. Also, disagree - as the Yankees were the original and best, just like Liverpool ;)

:lmao:

You're exactly right, Dave.

More like the Everton of MLB.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #97: Sep 21, 2010 11:03:42 pm
      You're exactly right, Dave.
      More like the Everton of MLB.
      The Mets are now, and will forever be the #2 in NY. They would need to win over 20 CHAMPIONSHIPS just to be considered in any sort of comparison. The Mets are always the team that is supposed to be good or they are predicted to win a Championship but always seem to fail. I dont know how many times in the last 10 years they were predicted to go all the way and they always failed. NY/NJ Metro area has 9 professional sports franchises but only 4 are considered the "Official" Team of NY. Thats Yankees, Giants, Rangers and Knicks.  You have other teams but they wont be listed first as the official team of NY.  Thats due to the fact that with exception of the Giants, they were all the Original teams in the city.

Secondly, I dont consider the Yankees to be the Man U of Baseball. Comparing dominance in the sport maybe, but people who hate the Yankees all say the same thing..."The Yankees bought their Championships".  Which is not true.  Yes they have had the highest payrolls in the last few years but the core of the Yankee teams were dominated by players who were from the Yankee system.  Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Rivera, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams, Cano, etc.. Not to mention the nobody journeymen they signed who turned out to be great players like Girardi, Brosious and Wetteland. 3 guys who no one wanted and came to the Yankees and played great.  They spend alot but the core players were always Yankee bred.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #98: Sep 22, 2010 05:32:17 am
      The Mets are now, and will forever be the #2 in NY. They would need to win over 20 CHAMPIONSHIPS just to be considered in any sort of comparison. The Mets are always the team that is supposed to be good or they are predicted to win a Championship but always seem to fail. I dont know how many times in the last 10 years they were predicted to go all the way and they always failed. NY/NJ Metro area has 9 professional sports franchises but only 4 are considered the "Official" Team of NY. Thats Yankees, Giants, Rangers and Knicks.  You have other teams but they wont be listed first as the official team of NY.  Thats due to the fact that with exception of the Giants, they were all the Original teams in the city.

Secondly, I dont consider the Yankees to be the Man U of Baseball. Comparing dominance in the sport maybe, but people who hate the Yankees all say the same thing..."The Yankees bought their Championships".  Which is not true.  Yes they have had the highest payrolls in the last few years but the core of the Yankee teams were dominated by players who were from the Yankee system.  Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Rivera, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams, Cano, etc.. Not to mention the nobody journeymen they signed who turned out to be great players like Girardi, Brosious and Wetteland. 3 guys who no one wanted and came to the Yankees and played great.  They spend alot but the core players were always Yankee bred.

A-Rod, Teixeira, Sabathia, Burnett........All part of the 2009 Championship team....I'm sorry I am a Sox fan, but that last World Series win wouldn't have happened without those four. ;)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #99: Sep 22, 2010 09:03:11 pm
      A-Rod, Teixeira, Sabathia, Burnett........All part of the 2009 Championship team....I'm sorry I am a Sox fan, but that last World Series win wouldn't have happened without those four. ;)
      Yeah, I dont dispute the 2009 Title. they got what they needed there but also they still had Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Pettite, Cano, Chamberlain, Hughes, Johnson all guys drafted by the Yankees and the 96' 98' 99' and 00' were won with a majority of core Yankees brought up from the farm club. They added a few guys through free agency back then but they did it on the backs of the farm system.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #100: Sep 23, 2010 04:36:02 am
      And lets face it, the modern age is one of players changing hands all the time. For the 2009 Yankees team to still have four players who have been around for 15 years (apart from Pettite being away for a while) is pretty impressive.

I'm not a huge expert in comparison to others on the sport, but i feel for an organization such as the Yankees with all the money they have, they still maintain a proud hold on the home-growns.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #101: Sep 25, 2010 01:57:06 am
      And lets face it, the modern age is one of players changing hands all the time. For the 2009 Yankees team to still have four players who have been around for 15 years (apart from Pettite being away for a while) is pretty impressive.

I'm not a huge expert in comparison to others on the sport, but i feel for an organization such as the Yankees with all the money they have, they still maintain a proud hold on the home-growns.

Yeah exactly.  The majority of Yankee haters always talk about the payroll and how the Yanks sign all the free agents. The truth is with the exception of the Sabathia, Burnett and Texiera signings. The Yank's would always get (1) big free agent and maybe another mid tier player and that was it.  They have the highest payroll but the majority of that payroll is on Players who have been with the Yankees forever. Plus the Yankees spend well. Compare them to the other teams with the high salaries and they dont compare in terms of success.  The Cubs have had a huge payroll the last few seasons and have done sh*t!  Its not spending the money, any team can do that. Its getting the guys who will make you win and the Yankees have always had a great farm system.  On top of the guys playing now they drafted Cano, Swisher,Chamberlain,Soriano.  I hate to say it but the only other team who produced great players was the Red Sox.  Youth wins championships.  You can only sign so many free agents, but you will always need a mix of veterans, youth and organizational players. It worked for 15 years for the Braves. They only got 1 Championship but still they were successful.
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #102: Sep 26, 2010 01:00:00 pm
      Jon Lester is an absolute ace, it's actually pretty fun playing the 'spoiler'  ;D
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #103: Oct 06, 2010 09:34:14 am
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #104: Oct 06, 2010 09:35:59 am
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #105: Oct 06, 2010 09:40:54 am
      Whilst conducting Red Sox related Google image search, I came across this:

http://ballsiest.com/sportsblog/2007/09/17/shelley-duncan-thinks-the-red-sox-suck/

Maybe I am a b***ard, but that is as funny as F**k.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #106: Oct 07, 2010 06:37:53 pm
      Any of the Yankees fans here watch the first game last night? Was exciting! Still need to work on some pitching issues, but we got the win so we have turned the home field advantage for us.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #107: Oct 07, 2010 06:45:03 pm
      Any of the Yankees fans here watch the first game last night? Was exciting! Still need to work on some pitching issues, but we got the win so we have turned the home field advantage for us.

Didn't watch it, but no surprise there. I can't get myself to care anymore. Don't know if you read the article posted by Blood, but that guy was right. The Yankees bought that championship. Coincidentally, I stopped caring that offseason. I still love Jeter, Jorge, etc., but, well, you know...

More importantly, how are the Red Sox doing?  :f_tongueincheek: 

Good thing their owners don't have a postseason to distract them. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #108: Oct 07, 2010 06:49:44 pm
      Didn't watch it, but no surprise there. I can't get myself to care anymore. Don't know if you read the article posted by Blood, but that guy was right. The Yankees bought that championship. Coincidentally, I stopped caring that offseason. I still love Jeter, Jorge, etc., but, well, you know...

More importantly, how are the Red Sox doing?  :f_tongueincheek: 

Good thing their owners don't have a postseason to distract them. ;)

I did, i kinda just don't worry about that :D I just love the sport, and i have always liked the Yankees so i can't help but get pumped for it :D

I was thinking the same thing :laugh: Can funnel all efforts into the best team wearing Red ;)
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #109: Oct 07, 2010 11:44:00 pm
      So, I actually watched a good bit of the Rangers-Rays from the 5th inning on and now I'm watching my Yankees.

This is literally the longest I've watched baseball all season.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #110: Oct 07, 2010 11:48:16 pm
      Nice - how are you liking it? :D

Average start to this again for the Yanks.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #111: Oct 07, 2010 11:52:26 pm
      :D I could get used to it.

The playoffs are always good, though, no matter the sport.

I'm not too concerned with the Yanks. Bottom 3rd, one run...pffft.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #112: Oct 07, 2010 11:57:48 pm
      :lmao: I thought so. It's infectious. You are right though, playoffs just bring out the cream of the crop.

Can't believe the beatdown Texas have given Tampa so far. Thats what happens when you get rid of Hicks i guess ;D
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #113: Oct 08, 2010 12:04:56 am
      Can't believe the beatdown Texas have given Tampa so far. Thats what happens when you get rid of Hicks I guess ;D

Yeah, I thought the same. I was in the pizzeria when Michael Young (?) got away with that checked swing (a strike when I saw it at regular speed) and then hit that home run. I laughed out loud, ran to buy beer and rushed home to keep watching. :D

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #114: Oct 08, 2010 12:15:51 am
      I didn't actually see it mate, was out watering the garden at the time so i could be in for the Yanks game :D

And thats outta here!

Quick Reply