Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baseball regular season

Read 105426 times
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Baseball regular season
      Apr 09, 2010 07:24:24 am
      I know a lot of you guys over in England might like the Yankees, but I have been a Red Sox fan all of my life, and would love to hear your opinions/views/reactions on this years season, which got underway this past Sunday. Go Sox!!!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #1: Apr 09, 2010 07:27:06 am
      Haha, been meaning to start this one myself!

And go Yankees >:D Entertaining opening game wasn't it? Though the Yankees were on the wrong end of the result and it pissed me off, was a good ball game for the neutral who may have been watching.

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2010 07:43:46 pm
      Yankees will have serious injury issues this season I can assure you ;D. Most of their roster is older than 30.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2010 09:05:05 pm
      Mets for me.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Apr 13, 2010 10:28:14 pm
      Yankees win 7-5, now 5-2 for the season. Good start ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Apr 13, 2010 10:46:39 pm

Unlike the Mets.... Replica shirts are very expensive for a game of rounders!
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2010 04:59:51 am

Amazing pick up in Granderson I must say....I do love the rivalry though. It makes baseball that much better.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2010 05:31:25 am
      Amazing pick up in Granderson I must say....I do love the rivalry though. It makes baseball that much better.

Yeah he is looking brilliant, the offensive power as a whole is looking great at the moment! And the rivalry is great, sports would be boring without it :D Im an Aussie but I've already learnt a long time ago to hate the Red Sox ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Apr 18, 2010 10:17:58 pm
      Just another Yankees win today ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Apr 29, 2010 07:25:10 pm
      An Australian playing for the Minnesota Twins, called Luke Hughes, went up for his first at-bat ever in the Major League yesterday - Home run! Shoulda seen the lads face, one of those little proud-to-be-Aussie moments for me, was glad i just happened to be watching the game!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Apr 29, 2010 08:28:16 pm
      An Australian playing for the Minnesota Twins, called Luke Hughes, went up for his first at-bat ever in the Major League yesterday - Home run! Shoulda seen the lads face, one of those little proud-to-be-Aussie moments for me, was glad i just happened to be watching the game!

Well in Luke! What a moment that would be.

Watching Texas v Chicago now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2010 01:50:54 am
      Haha, been meaning to start this one myself!

And go Yankees >:D Entertaining opening game wasn't it? Though the Yankees were on the wrong end of the result and it pissed me off, was a good ball game for the neutral who may have been watching.

Nooo, Red Sox!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #12: Apr 30, 2010 03:59:06 am
      I think its going to be Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers, Rays, Twins all in it in the AL.  The Yankees really got it going this season. Pitching, hitting, relief...regardless of the players being older.  30 years old is mid prime in Baseball. Actually stats show that the younger players from 20-26 are Injured far more than players 27-36.  Right now, the Yankees got it all. They are just too good right now.  But you never know. AL is a very competitive and balanced league.  Rays are leading the league but I dont think they have the juice to last until October. As usual, it will be a Red Sox, Yankees slugging it out for the Pennant.

The NL....who knows.  Philly for sure, other than that. I dont know. Colorado always plays hot in September and makes wild card.  So it will be Philly, St,Louis, Colorado, Mets, maybe the Giants, if Lincecum holds on.. They lose him thats 20 games in the loss column....Its all based on the divisions and who can hang on.

Personally I think the use of "Divisions" is bullshit. It should be straight up AL vs NL.  Divisions suck and especially when a team with a better record in one division misses the playoffs because a team with a worse record wins their division. So basically the best teams aren't always in the playoffs.  Make it a straight up and down League....1-14 in the AL 1-16 in the NL. top 6 teams from each league slug it out in the playoffs.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Apr 30, 2010 08:27:23 am
      Agreed man. You go into a stadium somewhere and see a pennant saying "Pacific Division winners" and think wow, you're proud of that? I mean yeah it means you had a decent season I guess, but I think it's a crock to make such a big deal about it. I only ever look at the conferance/league standings when I'm checking how teams are going.

And yeah I'm loving the Yankees at the moment! Hitting is consistently powerful, and pitching has been generally pretty good. Vasquez the only question mark still, but hopefully he'll come good.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #14: Apr 30, 2010 11:01:59 pm
      Developing a soft spot for the Cubs.

Watching replay of the win against Arizona.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Apr 30, 2010 11:35:17 pm
      Developing a soft spot for the Cubs.

Watching replay of the win against Arizona.

Oh you poor thing.

:D

My mate back home is a White Sox fan.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Apr 30, 2010 11:51:33 pm
      Are they sh*te or something?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: May 01, 2010 12:05:28 am

Cursed :D

Funny story really, but back in.. '45 i think it was they were in the World Series, think they had won their first three games and were back at Wrigley for game 4. Some dude came to the game with his goat, bought a ticket for him and his goat but got kicked out cos the goat stank. He walked out saying something like "The cubs, they aint gonna win no more" .... they went on to lose that game, the World Series, and have not played in the Series since! The myth is that the guy cursed them for not letting him and his goat stay :laugh: And until they get to another World Series thats whats always gonna be mentioned :D Coincidence more than anything of course, but kinda funny.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: May 01, 2010 12:23:42 am
      :lmao:

My kinda team!
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #19: May 01, 2010 12:39:17 am
      Right on BigV, they are cursed...remember 2003. The famous "Steve Bartman incident"....

In the eighth inning of Game 6 of the National League Championship Series, with Chicago ahead 3-0 and holding a 3 games to 2 lead in the best of 7 series, several spectators attempted to catch a foul ball off the bat of Marlins' second baseman Luis Castillo. One of the fans, Steve Bartman, touched the ball once it crossed into the stands, disrupting a potential catch by Cubs outfielder Moisés Alou. If Alou had caught the ball, it would have been the second out in the inning, and the Cubs would have been just four outs away from winning the National League pennant. Instead, the Cubs relinquished the lead that inning and then lost the game. When they were eliminated in the seventh game the next day, the "Steve Bartman incident" was seen as the turning point of the series.

Following the incident the Marlins scored eight runs

The Cubs have not won a playoff game since the incident. They missed the playoffs in the following three seasons, were swept by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2007 NLDS, were swept again by the NL West champions LA Dodgers in the 2008 NLDS, and missed the playoffs in 2009.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: May 01, 2010 12:41:38 am
      Bloody hell! :D I've already announced my admiration so i can't go back.

Damn cursed bas**rds!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: May 01, 2010 12:43:20 am
      Had not heard about that one! Nice one for posting mate :D

Have fun with the Cubs Crouchy, ill just sit back in my Yankees cap with "27-times Champions" badge on the side of it and enjoy it all ;) :laugh:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: May 01, 2010 12:45:34 am
      Had not heard about that one! Nice one for posting mate :D

Have fun with the Cubs Crouchy, ill just sit back in my Yankees cap with "27-times Champions" badge on the side of it and enjoy it all ;) :laugh:

Glory-hunter ;)

F**k it. Cubs for whatever trophy it is they play for 2010!!

By the sounds of it a flying apple pie riding a broom will hit the ball as it's flying for a home run with a loaded base to win and it'll fall in to the hands of the opposition.

Quick Reply