Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Baseball regular season

Read 105440 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Baseball regular season
      Reply #23: May 01, 2010 12:48:01 am
      Glory-hunter ;)

F**k it. Cubs for whatever trophy it is they play for 2010!!

By the sounds of it a flying apple pie riding a broom will hit the ball as it's flying for a home run with a loaded base to win and it'll fall in to the hands of the opposition.

My mum bought me a Yankees rain coat when i was 6 years old, been a fan since :D I guess the reason she bought a Yankees one was cos they are awesome though. Glory-hunter through my mum then :laugh:

It's good to have one team i follow being decent at least ;) :D
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #24: May 01, 2010 12:53:17 am
      I remember watching that when it happened and I said to one of my buddies, " it's over , the Cubs are finished now". He laughed it off saying there is no such thing as a 'curse' blah, blah. After the Cubs blew it he looked at me and said something like "if I didn't see it I wouldn't have believed it, they are cursed". 3-0 lead with 4 outs to go , amazing collapse.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: May 01, 2010 01:00:21 am
      Just been reading up on them and their 'curse'.

Jesus. Poor bas**rds.

The 1969 black cat is just amazingly shocking.

Buckner's batting glove is hilarious.

And Santo over the radio. Poor fella.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #26: May 01, 2010 01:01:40 am
      Sad thing about the story is this Bartman fella was a real die-hard Cubs fan, went to lots of games. it was like his whole life.
      After the incident he recieved death threats and the like when a local paper printed his address in the newspaper. The poor guy was so harassed he eventually had to move out of Chicago and is now in hiding I think.
      Shame really , especially when like 4 or 5 people reached for the ball, it just happened to land in his hands. Could've been anyone else. Unlucky fella.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #27: May 01, 2010 01:04:03 am
      Sad thing about the story is this Bartman fella was a real die-hard Cubs fan, went to lots of games. it was like his whole life.
      After the incident he recieved death threats and the like when a local paper printed his address in the newspaper. The poor guy was so harassed he eventually had to move out of Chicago and is now in hiding I think.
      Shame really , especially when like 4 or 5 people reached for the ball, it just happened to land in his hands. Could've been anyone else. Unlucky fella.

Seen a photo of that. Who knows if the guy would of caught it anyway? Might have just been beyond his reach.

Released a statement and everything saying sorry. Heart wrenching.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #28: May 01, 2010 01:05:50 am

The 1969 black cat is just amazingly shocking.

I almost forgot about that one...1969 I believe. A black cat walked in front of their dugout in a game vs. the Mets, and then they proceded to lose the division they once had a comfortable lead in. The Mets caught them in September and won the World Series.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #29: May 01, 2010 01:08:58 am
      Makes you think, how the F**k did a cat get in?

And how filthy would that fella with his goat be?! :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: May 01, 2010 01:13:07 am
      They are cursed. Cats are a part of the curse package, thats how it got in :D
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #31: May 01, 2010 01:27:01 am
      Makes you think, how the F**k did a cat get in?

Yup, they are 'cursed'

Now curses don't always last forever. The NY Rangers overcame their curse in 1994. And so did the Boston Red Sox in 2004.

"The Curse of 1940" was a superstitious explanation for why the New York Rangers (NHL) did not win the league's championship trophy, the Stanley Cup, from 1940 to 1994. 54 years. There were only 6 teams in the NHL from 1940-1968, and they still couldn't win.

During the 1940–41 season, the mortgage on the Rangers' home arena, the third Madison Square Garden (built in 1925), was paid off. Hence, the management of the Madison Square Garden Corporation symbolically burned the mortgage in the bowl of the Stanley Cup. This led some hockey fans to believe that the Cup, which is regarded almost as a sacred object, had been "desecrated," leading the "hockey gods" to place a curse on the Rangers.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #32: May 01, 2010 04:04:12 am
      What have i got into?! :D

American sports is crazy.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #33: May 01, 2010 04:10:49 am
      What have i got into?! :D

American sports is crazy.

Yes it is mate, but last year was the first time I ever saw any game in any sport decided by the bounce of a beachball  :f_whistle:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: May 01, 2010 04:12:15 am
      Yes it is mate, but last year was the first time I ever saw any game in any sport decided by the bounce of a beachball  :f_whistle:

:D So very true.

In to basketball, football and now baseball. Easy to get hooked.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #35: May 01, 2010 04:15:31 am
      :D So very true.

In to basketball, football and now baseball. Easy to get hooked.

Same mate, itx very easy. I started with NBA n baseball as a younin, then football (that hardly ever toucjhes the feet ;) ) and then hockey at the same time.

Living here helps as well, hugely into college football now as well. Helps when you live in a place like Eugene where college football is bigger than anything else in the world here. Orgeon Ducks ftw!!

Fan atmosphere helps to. Nothing like going to see a packed house NBA or Hockey game. Brilliant. Cant wait to see some football and baseball as well!
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #36: May 01, 2010 04:34:46 am
      A Century of Cubs Misery

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #37: May 18, 2010 05:03:58 am
      Nothing like a Yankees-Red Sox classic! Especially when the Yankees win it with clutch homers in the bottom of the ninth ;D
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #38: May 18, 2010 05:58:37 am
      Nothing like a Yankees-Red Sox classic! Especially when the Yankees win it with clutch homers in the bottom of the ninth ;D

....It's a bad year for all of my teams. I hate life right now.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #39: May 18, 2010 06:00:09 am
      Yup, they are 'cursed'

Now curses don't always last forever. The NY Rangers overcame their curse in 1994. And so did the Boston Red Sox in 2004.

"The Curse of 1940" was a superstitious explanation for why the New York Rangers (NHL) did not win the league's championship trophy, the Stanley Cup, from 1940 to 1994. 54 years. There were only 6 teams in the NHL from 1940-1968, and they still couldn't win.

During the 1940–41 season, the mortgage on the Rangers' home arena, the third Madison Square Garden (built in 1925), was paid off. Hence, the management of the Madison Square Garden Corporation symbolically burned the mortgage in the bowl of the Stanley Cup. This led some hockey fans to believe that the Cup, which is regarded almost as a sacred object, had been "desecrated," leading the "hockey gods" to place a curse on the Rangers.

The Cubs are not cursed, they make terrible management decisions and give awful contracts to awful players. They signed Soriano to a terrible 10 year deal and are still eating it to this day. The Red Sox were the only team that might have had a curse, but even as a Sox fan it was just an excuse for losing all the time.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #40: May 18, 2010 06:28:57 am
      The Cubs are not cursed, they make terrible management decisions and give awful contracts to awful players. They signed Soriano to a terrible 10 year deal and are still eating it to this day. The Red Sox were the only team that might have had a curse, but even as a Sox fan it was just an excuse for losing all the time.

I think we all realize its all a bit of fun mate, not a real curse ;) Though you never know....
      ....It's a bad year for all of my teams. I hate life right now.

Hey, you almost had it man! Only some A-Rod magic stole it. And are you a Celtics fan? Cos that must be good at least :D

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: May 18, 2010 08:09:39 am
      Was watching the Cubs v Pirates and Lilly threw 4 balls on purpose to let the batter move to first, which meant loaded bases. Pirates had 1 out and the batter was sh*te with Ohlendorff and Milledge next up.

Can i ask why he did that? Is it a common tactic?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: May 18, 2010 08:25:47 am
      It is on occasion. It's basically the pitcher making the choice that he feels he has a better chance of getting the next batter out, rather than chance it with that guy they walk as they feel they will smack them i guess.

Don't really like seeing it myself, in a bases loaded situation. Unless its the other team :D Minnesota did it to New York the other day, baffling really. They walked Mark Texiera to load the bases, all good i guess as Tex is hot at the moment - but Alex Rodriguez was up next! What happens then? A-Rod homer, grand slam. Bam. That was the game gone for the Twins.

But in the situation you describe? i honestly don't know. sh*t batter if he was, i dunno why he didn't just try and get the out. Any of our proper yanks on here wanna expand? The reason i posted is the only one ive ever seen explained when ive watched.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: May 18, 2010 01:12:10 pm
      I was sitting there going 'hmm...wtf?'

Cheers Dave. I thought that too but then realised he was pretty crap and when you've got Ohlendorff and Milledge next there's no real point?

And Lilly was doing really well up to that point.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #44: May 18, 2010 11:00:25 pm
      Can i ask why he did that? Is it a common tactic?

Yes , it's a very common tactic.
      Most times they do it , it's to set up a double play. i didnt see that game, but they usually do it with runners on 2nd or 3rd base (or both) and less than 2 outs. What it does is create a force out at every base. They are banking the batter will hit a ground ball in the infield and the infielder can get an 'force out' at every base including home, or turn a double play which would end the inning.
      It doesn't always work, but statistically its the right move, especially when they "intentionally walk" a really good hitter to pitch to someone who's not as much a threat.
      Like BigV said though, walking Tex to pitch to A-Rod is not that smart considering A-Rod is like 7th all-time in HR's. Duh
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #45: May 18, 2010 11:09:02 pm
      The Cubs are not cursed, they make terrible management decisions and give awful contracts to awful players.

Tell that to a Cubs fan ;)

We all know there are no real curses, but when a team doesn't win for 100 years, even the most optomistic fan starts thinking the team is cursed. It's like, we cant actually be this bad, so it must be a 'curse'. It's kinda said as a joke.

Quick Reply