Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Liverpool owners to hire Barclays Capital to find buyer for the Club

Read 16754 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Liverpool owners to hire Barclays Capital to find buyer for the Club
      Apr 10, 2010 08:38:23 pm
      It's breaking news on Sky.  Not actually heard the report yet just seen the ticker thingy.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Liverpool owners to hire Barclays Capital to find buyer for the Club
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2010 08:43:09 pm
      Ok so basically the  report says H&G are hiring them with a view to finding buyers not investors.

It's been announced by the Club supposedly but there's nothing on the official site.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 15 
      Reply #2: Apr 10, 2010 08:43:56 pm
      Party time?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Apr 10, 2010 08:45:20 pm
      Can't wait to see the ridiculous price they want.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Apr 10, 2010 08:45:37 pm
      It's weird when you hear great news like this yet you don't know whether to get excited or not.

Suppose just goes to show how we've been treated.
      pragnorok
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2010 08:45:40 pm
      get the fcuk in, gormless pair if cnuts can now fcuk off
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2010 08:46:16 pm

Maybe not yet mate, ya know how sneaky these bas**rds are but it sounds like they've finally realised it's time to go.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2010 08:46:56 pm
      No sure what to think!!

Dont want to get excited until they are actually no longer official owners..
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #8: Apr 10, 2010 08:47:16 pm
      Don't know what to say.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #9: Apr 10, 2010 08:47:40 pm
      Does mean they're F***ing off :o

Even if they do ask for a ridiculous price i suppose it's the first step in selling up.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Apr 10, 2010 08:48:08 pm
      One thing I am thinking though - would this really enhance chances of getting a buyer greatly?

Are they being hired simply to find, or is it more about persuading? If it's to find - surely those who can afford already know of the opportunity?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Apr 10, 2010 08:50:15 pm
      Curtains for the Yanks?

Can't see it just yet...
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #12: Apr 10, 2010 08:50:32 pm
      Found this:

http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:0cf7848d-cb39-441f-86e2-33f7a7ca43e0

Exclusive: Barclays To Hunt For Liverpool Buyer:

The American businessmen who own Liverpool Football Club have hired heavyweight City advisers to oversee an auction of part or all of the Premiership outfit, I have learned.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett are on the verge of appointing Barclays Capital, the investment bank, to handle a sale process that will begin shortly by inviting new offers for the club.

It's the latest chapter of an ownership saga that has angered Liverpool fans in recent months as they've seen their team knocked out of the Champions' League and fall away surprisingly early in the Premiership title race.

The owners hope that recruiting Barcap will inject fresh impetus into their quest for new investment, although their preference is now for an outright sale rather than to find an investor prepared to buy a minority stake.

"This is almost certain to be an exit process," a person close to the situation told me tonight. Notwithstanding that, Hicks and Gillett have no intention of selling on the cheap and will rebuff offers for the club that they believe fail to reflect its value. Equally, they may decide to sell only a minority stake if that offers the best immediate value available to them.

As I understand it, Barcap will therefore advise the owners on all options open to them, not just an outright sale.

To provide reassurance for potential buyers that the auction is a genuine attempt to sell the club, Martin Broughton, the chairman of British Airways, will be confirmed as Liverpool's chairman in the early part of next week. His appointment, which is not quite certain yet but which is overwhelmingly likely, will mean Hicks and Gillett stepping down as co-chairmen.

Broughton's role at Liverpool will effectively be that of an interim chairman given that I understand he will play a key role in overseeing the sale of the club.

He would seem to be a well-suited candidate for such a role, given his deep personal interest in sport (he's a keen Chelsea fan and a former chairman of the British Horseracing Board) and his experience of handling challenging corporate situations.

The perception among potential investors that Hicks and Gillett are at loggerheads has played a significant role in frustrating the search for new money.

Rhone Capital, a US private equity firm, did table a proposal several weeks ago that would have seen it acquire a minority equity stake (that would have included management control) in Liverpool for about £100m. Hicks and Gillett were not keen on the idea, and the offer has now lapsed.

There's certainly other interest out there too, including from Middle Eastern and Indian investors, although there are no further firm proposals on the table yet. However, the prospect of full ownership is likely to whet the appetite of many buyers given the possibility of a move to a new stadium and the latent commercial potential of the club.

Liverpool needs an injection of capital to meet the demands of its main creditor, Royal Bank of Scotland, that it reduce its debt by about £100m.

Given that RBS is majority-owned by the British taxpayer, it's unlikely in the extreme that it would want to take control of the club.

That said, the bank is determined to see Liverpool refinanced in the short term.

This news about Liverpool increases the likelihood that English football's three most famous clubs will change hands, given a potential takeover bid for Arsenal from Stan Kroenke and the Red Knights' plans to bid for Manchester United.

Liverpool and its owners declined to comment this evening.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Apr 10, 2010 08:51:23 pm
      Maybe if there are people wanting to buy us outright whilst they've been chewing over the Rhone deal they've realised selling up is the best thing, who knows.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Apr 10, 2010 08:55:26 pm
      Thanks LP.  It does seem like they want to sell up now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #15: Apr 10, 2010 08:59:44 pm
      So basically we've got somebody telling them to sell while those two yank cu*ts are still holding out for £500m. Oh how times have changed.

Forgive me for sound cynical but where these two F***ing bas**rds are concerned, I've realised not to get too excited because up to now it's all end in the same result - them two cu*ts continuing to rape my club dry.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Apr 10, 2010 09:02:55 pm
      I said months back that when they F**k off for good, that we should all have a celebratory toast on the forum :D

I F***ing hope this is an official sign that they are really looking for someone. I really do. If this season of turmoil ends with us looking at having new investment and these cu*ts gone, it will be a brilliant season in a sense - won't shy over the sh*t performances, but i can accept it if it manages to push these fuckers over the edge.

Not gonna get to excited until it happens though, we have heard this before.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #17: Apr 10, 2010 09:03:13 pm

Evidently neither of them had any money. F**k off you lying ba$tard$!!
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 10, 2010 09:04:01 pm
      I hope they F**k right off
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Apr 10, 2010 10:11:35 pm
      So when they said they had serious investors lined up. . . That was a lie too then. Why would you employ someone else to look for buyers if you had ' five or six ' lined up already.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #20: Apr 10, 2010 10:28:16 pm
      Can't wait to see the ridiculous price they want.

So basically we've got somebody telling them to sell while those two yank cu*ts are still holding out for £500m. Oh how times have changed.

Forgive me for sound cynical but where these two F***ing bas**rds are concerned, I've realised not to get too excited because up to now it's all end in the same result - them two cu*ts continuing to rape my club dry.

The've supposedly valued the club at £600 million!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Apr 10, 2010 10:31:15 pm
      The've supposedly valued the club at £600 million!

Where's this from? F***ing daft bas**rds though, 600m?!? They really think their sh*t smells like roses don't they!!!!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #22: Apr 10, 2010 10:38:49 pm
      realistically i reckon they could sell for 450mil providing 250 goes to wipe the debt.

Quick Reply