Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rafa Benitez: We need to spend £60m on players

Read 10817 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Rafa Benitez: We need to spend £60m on players
      Reply #115: Apr 13, 2010 03:14:16 am
      How so ? Had houiller a year before took Liverpool 2nd and had them playing the bst football they had played in years ? I think not also he didnt have 2 yanks draining all his funds did he, so its not really a fair comparison
      It's a completly legitimite comparison
         EDIT - Sorry for bad spelling etc i am on lfcreds via mobile
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #116: Apr 13, 2010 03:14:41 am
      He wasn't slung out to the delight of the Kop.  And if you want to talk about the Kop then the Kop is enormously supportive of Rafa Benitez. That's why he said he won't go this summer unless under his own choice.

Most fans liked the guy immensely but realised he wasn't up to the job.  That's how I felt as well.  It was sad but inevitable.

The fact is, even with the way our club is run now, not even Houllier would come back.

What does that tell you.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #117: Apr 13, 2010 03:18:14 am
      Never called for his head - quite the opposite - I just get the feeling on this forum that it is a cardinal sin to declare "Rafa - you fu**ed up" - and in my frustration, I asked the question why Houllier wasn't just sacked, but slung out on his ear to the delight of the Kop for doing no worse than Rafa has this season (better IMO)

Houllier was told to do one because it was clear we were not going anywhere under him.

If, next season is like this one in terms of our play, our attitude and our results then Rafa (if he's still manager) will be seriously questioned and his job will be in jeopardy as Houllier was. In 2002/03 we were disgracefully poor, but after the back of the treble in 01 and coming second in 02 Houllier was given time to turn it around in 2003/04. Unfortunately he didn't, we were still as poor (if not worse). Our football was still difficult to watch.

Now after his second European Cup final in 2007 and us playing some of the best football the Premiership has seen last year, Rafa should be given next year to turn this year around. If next year is just as bad then he'll have a lot to answer for.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #118: Apr 13, 2010 03:20:50 am
      If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm happy to call a temporary truce.  If you are a genuine Liverpool fan then I'm not sure what company you keep but to compare the Houllier and Benitez era shows an alarming lack of knowledge which sets off alarm bells.

Anyway, £60M is the bare minimum.  
      Hahaha There isnt a chance in getting £60 million if we got 40 i would be delighted

Cordoza-10 million price tag doesnt seem to be attracting much attention with Di Maria stealing the show in Benfica a quality second choice striker

Milan Jova. . . (im not even going to try) we've already signed him he seems decent and is quite a character i can see him being a fans favorite

Eden Hazard-12 million-thats the figure there talking about in france for last years young player of the year,I spent a bit of time in Lille last year on Co-Op and watched qite a few Lille matches he's dubbed the next Ronaldo...from what iv seen he wont be far off

Kjaer-10 million-Quality centre half a carbon copy of Agger in my opinion which who could complain with having two danny Aggers

Silva/Mata/-20 million -we need one quality signing the two of them are world class i'd slightly prefer Mata

And out

Riera-7 million-Russia,or Siberia i really couldnt give a F**k

Possibly Benayoun for 10 million from what I've heard :(

At the end off the day that squad would challenge for the title . .
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #119: Apr 13, 2010 03:21:23 am
      Houllier was told to do one because it was clear we were not going anywhere under him.

If, next season is like this one in terms of our play, our attitude and our results then Rafa (if he's still manager) will be seriously questioned and his job will be in jeopardy as Houllier was. In 2002/03 we were disgracefully poor, but after the back of the treble in 01 and coming second in 02 Houllier was given time to turn it around in 2003/04. Unfortunately he didn't, we were still as poor (if not worse). Our football was still difficult to watch.

Now after his second European Cup final in 2007 and us playing some of the best football the Premiership has seen last year, Rafa should be given next year to turn this year around. If next year is just as bad then he'll have a lot to answer for.

fair post - and to clarify, I want Rafa to remain at the club and to do well next season - but it's not a crime to call him out on this horror-show of a season.
      On that note I'm off - good debate fellas
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #120: Apr 13, 2010 03:25:36 am
      fair post - and to clarify, I want Rafa to remain at the club and to do well next season - but it's not a crime to call him out on this horror-show of a season.
      On that note I'm off - good debate fellas

No it isn't a crime and I often find meself questioning Rafa because I do understand that he's not infallible. He does have his faults, he does make some strange decisions and not so long ago I was on this very forum saying he should be out on his ear. 12 months later we finished a whisker away from winning the League which convinced me that he did know how to deal with the Premiership.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #121: Apr 13, 2010 03:26:49 am
      Ok then don't give him £60m just give him 3 world class players in the positions he needs. That's it and lets see what he can do.
      gironda
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -1 
      Reply #122: Apr 13, 2010 04:24:34 am

I don't see what's so ridiculous about his comments.

We have to face it: We longer dine at the top tab;e any more.

The people that say "Villa, Silva, etc" are the ones being unrealistic.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #123: Apr 13, 2010 04:33:22 am

I don't see what's so ridiculous about his comments.

We have to face it: We longer dine at the top tab;e any more.

The people that say "Villa, Silva, etc" are the ones being unrealistic.

The fact he said we should spend 20m on sacking our manager might be part of the ridiculousness of it.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #124: Apr 13, 2010 06:02:55 am
      We are skint and have F**k all money with two owners who dont talk to each other and some people trust them to get the right person foe the job.Whoever comes in will have to wheel and deal by selling players and buying from the revenues generated becasue at the moment the owners can't find money to pay back the banks and are too greedy to dilute their share. I dont think any manager from that list would walk into such a troubled boat.

But go on to believe that we will sign Jose Morningo or Capello and they will lead us to glory with no money. Or even worse that Houghdson will win us the league.

Quick Reply