Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Juve: Quit Liverpool by next Friday if you want to be our boss

Read 17433 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Apr 14, 2010 01:39:08 am
      Originally posted in the Rafa debate thread, but I think it needs its own topic.

Juventus tell Rafa Benitez: Quit Liverpool if you want to be our boss

Juventus will give Rafa Benitez an ultimatum by insisting he decides next week whether to be their new manager.

The Italian giants have been courting the Liverpool boss by since Christmas, and his agent met with Juve President Jean-Claude Blanc only days ago in Milan, to discuss the summer vacancy.

But even though he has constantly refused to rule himself out of the role, Benitez has never committed himself either, as he looks to consolidate his position at Anfield.

Now, the Serie A side are prepared to put the Spaniard on the spot, by demanding a decision before the end of the next week.

Benitez wants to stay in England with Liverpool, but he knows his position is not entirely secure after a disappointing season.

Ideally, he would like to keep Juve as an option should he be forced out at the end of the season, but this move by the Italians will force him to make a decision earlier.

The Italians are desperate to resolve their managerial situation after going through three bosses in the last 12 months.

Claudio Ranieri was sacked at the end of last season, and his replacement Ciro Ferrara was also dismissed in January, after a series of poor results.

The current incumbent Alberto Zaccheroni is seen only as a temporary solution, and president Blanc wants a high profile manager confirmed as quickly as possible.

He wants Benitez to offer a firm commitment, otherwise he will turn to his other prefered candidates for the job, Brazil coach Dunga and Cagliari head coach Massimiliano Allegri.

While Benitez was considering his future last night, Liverpool were finalising deals that will have a significant impact on the long-term prospects of the club.

A formal announcement is expected today that will signal the end of the regime of owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and also confirm that up to £50million will be made available to strengthen the team in the summer.

The Mirror has learned the American pair will accept changes to the structure of the Anfield board, which will effectively remove them from the decision-making process.

We revealed on Monday that the current owners are ready to officially confirm they will put their entire shareholding up for sale, and the announcement will also say that Martin Broughton, the chairman of British Airways and former president of the CBI, is the new Chairman of Liverpool, with the pair stepping down from that joint role.

Sources close to Anfield though, have revealed that while Hicks and Gillett will remain on the board, they will retain only one vote each, allowing Broughton, along with MD Christian Purslow, commercial director Ian Ayre and chief financial officer Philip Nash - who will all have a vote - to take full control of operational running.

The Americans have been in talks with both Barclays Capital and RBS over a refinancing package, and both potential lenders have confirmed they will do business if the changes are made, to allow Broughton and Purslow to run the club without interference.

Both banks believe the search for a new buyer is being hampered by the reputation of Hicks and Gillett, and they believe Broughton will offer crucial credibility in securing the long term future.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Juventus-tell-Rafa-Benitez-Quit-Liverpool-by-next-Friday-if-you-want-to-be-our-boss-article391581.html

Just seen it reported on SSN too. However, apparently his agent has said that Rafa will work the remainder of his contract.

I'm not too sure what to think really. What are the chances? Surely he wouldn't leave so suddenly?

Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Re: Juve: Quit Liverpool by next Friday if you want to be our boss
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2010 01:43:03 am

Just seen it reported on SSN too. However, apparently his agent has said that Rafa will work the remainder of his contract.

I'm not too sure what to think really. What are the chances? Surely he wouldn't leave so suddenly?

Rafa ddin't fully distance himself from the Juve job when he was first linked with it at the turn of the year - but there is no way he'll leave before the end of the season, thereafter ???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2010 01:43:26 am
      Originally posted in the Rafa debate thread, but I think it needs its own topic.

Juventus tell Rafa Benitez: Quit Liverpool if you want to be our boss

Juventus will give Rafa Benitez an ultimatum by insisting he decides next week whether to be their new manager.

The Italian giants have been courting the Liverpool boss by since Christmas, and his agent met with Juve President Jean-Claude Blanc only days ago in Milan, to discuss the summer vacancy.

But even though he has constantly refused to rule himself out of the role, Benitez has never committed himself either, as he looks to consolidate his position at Anfield.

Now, the Serie A side are prepared to put the Spaniard on the spot, by demanding a decision before the end of the next week.

Benitez wants to stay in England with Liverpool, but he knows his position is not entirely secure after a disappointing season.

Ideally, he would like to keep Juve as an option should he be forced out at the end of the season, but this move by the Italians will force him to make a decision earlier.

The Italians are desperate to resolve their managerial situation after going through three bosses in the last 12 months.

Claudio Ranieri was sacked at the end of last season, and his replacement Ciro Ferrara was also dismissed in January, after a series of poor results.

The current incumbent Alberto Zaccheroni is seen only as a temporary solution, and president Blanc wants a high profile manager confirmed as quickly as possible.

He wants Benitez to offer a firm commitment, otherwise he will turn to his other prefered candidates for the job, Brazil coach Dunga and Cagliari head coach Massimiliano Allegri.

While Benitez was considering his future last night, Liverpool were finalising deals that will have a significant impact on the long-term prospects of the club.

A formal announcement is expected today that will signal the end of the regime of owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, and also confirm that up to £50million will be made available to strengthen the team in the summer.

The Mirror has learned the American pair will accept changes to the structure of the Anfield board, which will effectively remove them from the decision-making process.

We revealed on Monday that the current owners are ready to officially confirm they will put their entire shareholding up for sale, and the announcement will also say that Martin Broughton, the chairman of British Airways and former president of the CBI, is the new Chairman of Liverpool, with the pair stepping down from that joint role.

Sources close to Anfield though, have revealed that while Hicks and Gillett will remain on the board, they will retain only one vote each, allowing Broughton, along with MD Christian Purslow, commercial director Ian Ayre and chief financial officer Philip Nash - who will all have a vote - to take full control of operational running.

The Americans have been in talks with both Barclays Capital and RBS over a refinancing package, and both potential lenders have confirmed they will do business if the changes are made, to allow Broughton and Purslow to run the club without interference.

Both banks believe the search for a new buyer is being hampered by the reputation of Hicks and Gillett, and they believe Broughton will offer crucial credibility in securing the long term future.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Juventus-tell-Rafa-Benitez-Quit-Liverpool-by-next-Friday-if-you-want-to-be-our-boss-article391581.html

Just seen that myself, hadn't heard this cracker though, sounds a bit too made up that about quitting by next Friday.

Plus on that SSN bit, it's funny how the claims are that Rafa's agent met with Juve's representatives in Milan, but his agent is claiming he was in Madrid.

Although the quote from his agent was "will work the remainder of his contract on principle."
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2010 01:47:24 am
      Isn't this the same reporter that had everyone smiling about the yanks selling up yesterday?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2010 01:52:17 am
      Isn't this the same reporter that had everyone smiling about the yanks selling up yesterday?

Yep covers both Liverpool and Everton for the Mirror. Don't you remember the piece he did about Houllier, when he sold Fowler? Was very scathing about the way Houllier treated Robbie.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #5: Apr 14, 2010 02:01:33 am
      Rafa to Juve? Sh*te,next.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2010 02:03:45 am
      Is that even legal - telling another team's manager to quit the job to become their manager?

And I don't really see why would Rafa want to go to Italy?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2010 02:31:13 am
      I dont know if the story has any truth to it or not.  However, what would you do?  If Hicks and Gillette are going to continue and just sit on the club spend as little as possible and continue expecting results, I would probably think that a move to Juventus is good.  Face facts Juve is one of the top 10 clubs in the world.  So is Liverpool.  But will Rafa be able to have a little more control and be allowed to bring in talent with an open check book?  If Juve say, " Well give you as much money as you need to get us back in the top spot" I think he would jump at the chance.

Working for H&G must be hell. Like hitting your head against a wall every day. They wont spend money, they fight with eachother, they still have no real plans for a stadium, anyone who shows interest in buying the club mysteriously disappears and we never hear from them again. Now the CL money they need to keep up any hopes of staying in the top 4 may not be their next season.  So, I dont know if he's going to stay.  I have no doubt he cares for Liverpool and knows what it means to be the manager but I think the working conditions for him are unbearable.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #8: Apr 14, 2010 02:38:45 am
      Wow pretty big news, don't know what to think, as a couple of you have said he didn't rule it out when he was linked with them, it would be a bad way for him to go. Be interesting to see Rafa's reply to this.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #9: Apr 14, 2010 02:53:22 am
      Something tells me he doesn't want a job at Juve. What kind of club demands a manager to give up on their club through the media. Juve just show how demanding they will be, aka no free roam for rafa, I hope he stays here.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #10: Apr 14, 2010 02:57:12 am
      No way would Rafa leave us at this moment in time, if that article about H & G is to be believed this could be one of the best time's for Liverpool to re unite and become a bigger, stronger squad then we have ever been before in time for next season, Rafa love's Liverpool and until he gets the boot i cant see him leaving.
      AngelicRayment
      • Banned

• 396 posts | -10 
      Reply #11: Apr 14, 2010 03:08:56 am
      if he leaves we're really fu**ed up royally in the ass
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Apr 14, 2010 03:19:03 am
      He won't go. Not to a lesser club.

Which, in turn, means he won't go anywhere. There is no bigger club than Liverpool FC.

Rafa has Red pride - and you don't lose Red pride.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #13: Apr 14, 2010 03:42:06 am
      I dont think he wants to leave.  In his mind I think he wants to be the next Shankly or Paisley and retire with an ass full of Cups and championships.  So If he does leave I would have to lay the blame right on the current ownership group.  The only other sports franchise with as much history and respect as Liverpool is the Yankees.  Being coach of Liverpool is a very, very limited and small club.  Not too many men can claim that on a resume.

I would also think that any club that expects a manager to abandon his current team before the season ends and come to them is an organization which lacks credibility, instantly.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #14: Apr 14, 2010 03:53:34 am
      I hope he stays, he knows this club from the inside being as most appointments in the last year are Rafas, so why when he is about to get 50 mill for players (if true), would he want to leave now. If what I read is true then this could lead soon to the selling of the club by these dumbwits, and it won't come soon enough.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Apr 14, 2010 03:56:37 am
      :D F**k off Juve.

Rafa's one of us!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Apr 14, 2010 04:20:37 am

Diego: F**k off cheating bas**rds

;)
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #17: Apr 14, 2010 04:51:30 am
      I am glad so many clubs are interested in Rafa though, just goes to show he is a top manager.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Apr 14, 2010 05:21:24 am
       I do not believe RAFA will go to Juventus for one minute,but if he did there would be a small matter of compensation.He has about 4 years left on his contract so that would be worth a few quid.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Apr 14, 2010 05:57:51 am
      I do not believe RAFA will go to Juventus for one minute,but if he did there would be a small matter of compensation.He has about 4 years left on his contract so that would be worth a few quid.

If he left voluntarily, there'd be no compensation.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #20: Apr 14, 2010 06:04:10 am
      :D F**k off Juve.

Rafa's one of us!

This.

Where the F**k do Juve get off making an ultimatum? He's under contract for fucks sake! Isn't this basically tapping up?
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #21: Apr 14, 2010 06:11:14 am
      If he left voluntarily it is he, or in this case probably Juventus who would have to pay compensation to the LFC.

With 3 managers being rid of in 12 months the Juventus job is hardly one for anybody who likes job security.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Apr 14, 2010 09:02:05 am
      How can the same paper go from one extreme to the other in the day.

I f**king can't stand the media. A load of me arse this by the way, not a concern. Rafa wouldn't do that to us and I'm fairly sure Juventus wouldn't offer an ultimatum to Benitez. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Why potentially piss him off when they could very possibly have him in the next few years anyway?

Quick Reply