Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Pennant collapses on a flight to Stansted

Read 2213 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Pennant collapses on a flight to Stansted
      Jun 07, 2007 03:06:23 am
      Link to the story      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article1896446.ece

Jermaine Pennant was said to be recovering last night after collapsing during a flight to Stansted after a break in Spain. The Liverpool winger reportedly passed out half an hour after take-off from MĂĄlaga and was given oxygen by flight attendants.

Pennant, who served a month in jail in 2005 for driving while banned and being over the limit, had allegedly been drinking heavily the night before and had had little sleep. He was accompanied on the plane by Paolo Vernazza, of Barnet, and Jonathan Fortune, the Charlton Athletic defender.

Sky Andrew, Pennant’s agent, said: “He is fine now. He just had a bit of dehydration.”

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Pennant collapses on a flight to Stansted
      Reply #1: Jun 07, 2007 03:22:29 am
      Link to the story      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article1896446.ece

Jermaine Pennant was said to be recovering last night after collapsing during a flight to Stansted after a break in Spain. The Liverpool winger reportedly passed out half an hour after take-off from MĂĄlaga and was given oxygen by flight attendants.

Pennant, who served a month in jail in 2005 for driving while banned and being over the limit, had allegedly been drinking heavily the night before and had had little sleep. He was accompanied on the plane by Paolo Vernazza, of Barnet, and Jonathan Fortune, the Charlton Athletic defender.

Sky Andrew, Pennant’s agent, said: “He is fine now. He just had a bit of dehydration.”

...typical....out on the wing falling over before he can put in a cross....
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Jun 07, 2007 10:39:42 am
      What a tool he is off the field will he ever learn?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2007 11:19:40 am
      What a tool he is off the field will he ever learn?

TBH, off the pitch he's been good as gold all season, unlike Bellamy who also came with a reputation as a troublemaker, and I don't see the harm in him letting his hair down a bit in the close season. As a sportsman though you would've thought he'd know the consequences of dehydration.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2007 11:42:46 am
      I think a lot of people will be p*ssed off, I mean he was flying the plane at the time!! ;D

All though a lot of stories don’t always make it to the media’s attention it is known locally that he has hardly been shy and retiring in his time on Merseyside and many an interesting party has taken place around the area of the Newz bar (allegedly)
      And whilst I agree he is entitled to a holiday surely he should be treading a bit more carefully than others after his past misdemeanours? Can’t the lad go and get drunk and have a few laugh's without taking it to the extreme level where he is collapsing and making the front pages of the Rags again.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2007 12:04:19 pm
      Oh come on, everyone is off duty for a few more weeks.

He's still only young, it doesn't bother me if the whole Liverpool team were in a bar crawling on the floor because they were so drunk! It isn't even pre season yet!!
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2007 12:38:51 pm
      Oh come on, everyone is off duty for a few more weeks.

He's still only young, it doesn't bother me if the whole Liverpool team were in a bar crawling on the floor because they were so drunk! It isn't even pre season yet!!

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you mate, maybe normal lads can go out and do that without fear of any consequences but these lads I'm afraid are professional athletes who only have a very short career so if not getting sh*t faced on holiday to the point of collapse is a sacrifice you make to get a wage that enables you to retire at 35 years of age then I'm sure its well worth taking it easy. Besides that on a mercenary level these players are assets and assets that are worth millions of pounds to the club and crawling around p**sed is not what I want to see my million pound investment doing.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2007 12:41:57 pm by Glenbuck »
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2007 01:13:19 pm
      I have to say i think he should be able to go out and get pissed if he wants to, he just over did it a little, it does happen, especially if it's been hot, i don't think this is anything to worry about, if it had been during the footie season i'd be slagging him right off, but it didn't, so i say cut him some slack.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jun 07, 2007 01:47:49 pm
      Mustn't be a real man then if he's collapsing after a heavy night on the ale! Liverpool players should be made of stronger stuff! ;)

Seriously though, having a good few drinks and letting your hair down on holiday close season is one thing. Getting into a state where he needs oxygen after collapsing is another.
      Glenbuck's right. He is an asset to the club and should be more careful. Otherwise he'll be out the door.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Jun 07, 2007 04:58:47 pm
      Remember though guys flying does dehydrate you aswell.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Jun 07, 2007 05:20:10 pm
      if  he wants to get drunk at a private party or at his house then fine.....the only damage that will be done will be to the length of his career.... But to be drunk  or to show the afteraffects of drinking in public is not acceptable for any proffessional sportsman.

I thought that on his move to Anfield  he stated he was going to be more mature and wanted to be respected....this ain't going to help. Thought he wanted to get into the england team....this isn't  going to enhance his reputation. Also and more importantly he represents Liverpool Football Club and this kind of publicity isn't helpful especially after the UEFA debacle.

We all know that the media in england are always on the lookout for  a sniff of scandel and as a highly paid and talented footballer  with a history of a unsavory  behaviour playing for his 'dream'  club he really should know better.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 07, 2007 07:39:59 pm
      I dont think Rafa will see this in a positive light,despite it being the end of the season Rafa will feel he has let him down and the club.Jermaine must grow up if he wants a long career.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Jun 07, 2007 07:44:55 pm
      I dont think Rafa will see this in a positive light,despite it being the end of the season Rafa will feel he has let him down and the club.Jermaine must grow up if he wants a long career.

Agree. Even if it was Stevie G...I'd still feel a little let down and I'm sure Rafa would be as well. Reputation tarnished Jermaine. For a player whose future is in the balance yet another poor choice. Shame as he had started to play really well at the end of the season.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2007 09:24:57 pm
      Remember though guys flying does dehydrate you aswell.

So does 20 pints of lager !!  ;) ;D ;D
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2007 09:52:03 pm
      even am not that thick

Quick Reply