Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Alonso Signs For Five More Years

Read 2139 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Alonso Signs For Five More Years
      Jun 08, 2007 08:59:38 am
      Xabi is going nowhere he's just extended his contract.
      Taken from the official site.Liverpool FC.tv
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156124070608-0828.htm

Xabi Alonso has become the fourth Liverpool player this week to sign a new contract at Anfield after penning a deal which will keep him at the club until 2012.

With Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Pepe Reina already signed up on long term deals, Alonso's decision to resist offers from abroad is another major boost for manager Rafael Benitez as he plans for the future.   "I knew there was interest from other clubs but it was always my idea to stay here," said Alonso. "I have been here for three seasons now and have such special feelings for the club and the supporters. I understand what Liverpool FC means to so many people. It is such a special club and I just didn't want to leave.   "We agreed that the talks would take place after the Champions League final and, to be honest, in the end it was a simple decision for me because I could see right away that the attitude of the club towards me was spot on. I greatly appreciate all the hard work that Rick Parry has put in on this contract and the faith that Rafa Benitez has shown in me. We all wanted to reach an agreement and we're all happy with the outcome.   "I want to be part of what lies ahead because I know it is going to be exciting. I've signed for another five years and there's no reason why we can't be successful.   "It's also good news to see that other players have signed new contracts this week. Stevie, Carra and Pepe are all big players for us and it's great they have all shown their commitment. I'm sure the manager will be bringing in new players as well and that the new owners will be making a big effort to improve the squad."   After representing his country in Euro 2008 qualifiers over the past week Alonso is now looking forward to a well earned summer break - but he admits he's already dreaming about what next season may hold for the club.   "I'm really excited because I think we can achieve big things," he added. "Hopefully we won't make the same mistakes next season as we did last season and we can win some more games. We want to be challenging for the top teams.   "Even though I'm looking forward to a holiday and a rest I can't wait for next season to begin."   The Spanish midfielder is also relishing the prospect of fighting for his place following Javier Mascherano's successful start to his Liverpool career in the centre of the field.   "It's great to have competition and I am ready to fight for my place," he said. "The more top quality players we have then the better the level of the team will be. I'm confident I can play a lot of minutes on the pitch and keep the confidence of the manager."

I personally think it is very good news, yes he had a very indifferent season but from what I had seen in previous ones leads me to believe there may be quite a bit more to come from Xabi. Of course the focus will now turn to Momo as he was also rumoured to be on his way out, and with an embarrassing wealth of central midfielders surely Rafa cant keep all of them happy?, or on the other hand do you think Rafa will keep them all and just stick to his rotation policy?
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2007 01:10:33 pm by Glenbuck »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Alonso Signs For Five More Years
      Reply #1: Jun 08, 2007 09:47:58 am
      Great news, even better than Carra, Stevie & Pepe's contracts cos everyone expected those to be signed. Locking his thread in transfer speculation is going to be a very enjoyable task.
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2007 09:59:24 am
      eddie i actually agree with you for a change i think its great bit of dealing by parry for a change! 8)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2007 10:03:49 am
      Great news getting the core of the side signed up now we need to start buying.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #4: Jun 08, 2007 10:06:23 am
      so pleased by that news to be honest i thought we were going to lose his this summer or use him as some part exchange but you need to keep hold of all your class players and he's one of them.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Jun 08, 2007 10:18:53 am
      Brilliant ;D

So much good news I feel like I'm dreaming!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,778 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Jun 08, 2007 10:24:12 am
      excellent news...Xabi is one of the best passers of the ball and probably has the most vision of any of our players on the pitch....great business....tying these 4 up for the long haul....just not sure if that means any chance we have of getting Eto'o is now gone ???
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 08, 2007 11:36:58 am
      i don't think it wil ruin the chance for Eto just won't be a swap deal and we will have to pay through our ars*s lmao to get him
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #8: Jun 08, 2007 12:36:28 pm
      Brilliant news, dont have to change my screensaver now  ;) ;D ;D
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 08, 2007 01:05:57 pm
      Excellent stuff, i felt for sure he was gonna leave, a bit of a midfield battle going on next year then with alonso, momo, gerrard, masherano and lucas.
      Cy
      Reply #10: Jun 08, 2007 11:09:19 pm
      This is fantastic news I'm so delighted about that. Alonso is class, and the fact that so many big names are showing commitment to Liverpool might make a big difference for players who think to join the team, seeing player like gerrard, alonso, CARRA signing again send a message loud and clear to any other player that we are here to win win win...attack.. attack.. attack attack attcak
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #11: Jun 08, 2007 11:30:21 pm
      alonso forever ;D

Quick Reply