Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

"Line In" recording on pc

Read 5010 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      "Line In" recording on pc
      Jun 08, 2007 05:03:28 pm
      Right, this might seem trivial to some of you but I've got a lot of old music tapes and records I'd love to put into mp3 format. So I was wondering if anyone knows some good (free) programs I could use to do this, by plugging my decks or my tape seperate into the pc?
      Any ideas?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: "Line In" recording on pc
      Reply #1: Jun 08, 2007 05:57:30 pm
      Right, this might seem trivial to some of you but I've got a lot of old music tapes and records I'd love to put into mp3 format. So I was wondering if anyone knows some good (free) programs I could use to do this, by plugging my decks or my tape seperate into the pc?
      Any ideas?

Vaguely remember a problem called Audacity?

Try www.zdnet.co.uk/downloads - they have tons of programs, some freeware, some shareware.

Good luck.  It's going to take you many hours sunshine!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Jun 08, 2007 06:06:32 pm
       :D

Always grateful sir! ;)
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Jun 08, 2007 06:15:12 pm
      I have Audacity... Dont know how to use it though  :-\
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 08, 2007 07:41:27 pm
      Fear not Mr Redkenny for the answer is right here, right now!

USB Turntable
      You spin me round like a record (being transferred to a PC)

USB Turntable    In Stock  £99.95   

Accessories are available for this product.

Only £99.95 for a limited time only! Was £119.95.

Digital music is great but isn't it a pity you can't transfer your old records on to your computer? Well guess what? You can! That's right vinyl lovers, thanks to the ingenious USB Turntable you can put all your LPs, 12"s and singles straight into your digital library.

Simply plug this chic little turntable into the nearest USB port, fire up the idiot-proof Audacity software and start converting your collection. Forget about clumsy adaptors, special drivers and mismatched software. It's easier than, er...well, it's easier than putting a record on!

USB Turntable Just think of all that lovely vinyl you've got languishing in the loft. Fair enough, some of it should probably stay hidden (no, we don't know why we bought Bruce Willis's Return of Bruno LP either), but even if it's just for the sake of nostalgia, hearing all the records you grew up listening to makes for a fantastic trip down memory lane. And if you're one of those trendy DJs (we're talking Carl Cox, not Pat Sharpe) who likes mixing it on the decks with vinyl you can put all your bangin' anthems on to your PC for transfer to CD or MP3.

USB Turntable Featuring adjustable gain, anti-skating control and high-speed vinyl recording function, the belt-driven USB Turntable can also be connected to any home stereo with CD or auxiliary inputs. This means you can spin your records through your regular system when you're not converting them. You can even don a big pair of tinted glasses and pretend you're Simon Bates. If you want.

Whether it's Whitesnake, Wham, Spandau or some ancient disc belonging to your dad, the USB Turntable can convert it. And it doesn't matter what speed the records in question are - this Turntable can handle both 33s and 45s. So why not forget about buying any new music for a while and rediscover your vinyl. All right? Not 'arf!

USB Turntable
      Recording to MP3
      This simple guide explains how to record MP3s using your USB Turntable and the Windows® version of Audacity. This process is very similar for other operating systems and audio software.

In the Edit menu, bring up the Preferences and select the appropriate audio devices.

After preparing your vinyl, click the Record button to begin recording.

Press play to start the USB Turntable. Once the song has finished you can stop recording and make any desired adjustments.

The first time you save an MP3 you will have to locate the LAME library on your computer.

Enjoy your record collection in the portable MP3 format!

Accessories
      USB Turntable - 33/45rpm Spare Stylus   
      33/45rpm Spare Stylus for USB Turntable
       In Stock  £12.95   
      USB Turntable - 78rpm Spare Stylus   
      78rpm Spare Stylus for USB Turntable
       In Stock  £12.95   

More info

Delivery details:
      This product can only be delivered to addresses within the EU.

Please Note:

* Windows Vista and Windows Media Centre compatible.
          * PC and Mac compatible. Linux software available online.
          * Requires one available USB1.1 port or higher.
          * Compatible with any recording software that supports USB Audio devices.
          * Free software is included for both Windows (98 and greater) and Mac OS (X and 9.2+).
          * Linux version and latest Windows/Mac builds can be found here.

Features:

* Plug & Play USB.
          * Adjustable anti-skating control.
          * 33.3 / 45 RPM.
          * 78 RPM records can be transferred by recording at 33.3 / 45 RPM and using software to restore to original speed.
          * Line level RCA outputs (with built-in pre-amp).
          * 3.5mm stereo line input for other audio sources, including cassette tape.

Contents:

* 1 x USB Turntable
          * 1 x Slipmat
          * 1 x 45 RPM
          * 1 x Counterweight
          * 1 x Platter
          * 1 x USB Cable
          * 1 x Software CD
          * 1 x Pre-mounted stylus cartridge
          * 1 x Instruction leaflets

Dimensions:

* Approximately 48cm(W) x 38cm(D) x 13cm(H)

MP3/OGG Guide:

* For further information on saving MP3s directly from Audacity see this guide.

Cassette / MiniDisc Recording:

* To record from cassette or MiniDisc you will need a cable that connects to your player's output and has a male 3.5mm (1/8") connector on the other end. You can buy these from any any audio retailer.

Technical Support:
      Please call 01252 353 850 for any technical support questions.

Press reviews

"It supports 45s, 33s and even the really old 78s too, so it's ideal for any ageing teddy boys out there."
      PC Answers

"A genuinely useful gadget for those of us who remember vinyl."
      London Lite

"I can vouch for the Ion USB Turntable...this gadget is heaven for men who are wedded to their old vinyl collection."
      Easy Living

"...for archiving those dusty old 45s and LPs, it could prove priceless."
      The Guardian

"Instead of playing (and wearing out) all that precious vinyl that you haven't replaced with CD, consider this eminently affordable solution...with the software supplied, makes it a cinch to convert your records to MP3 format."
      The Independent

"For dusty-fingered vinyl junkies, transferring treasured old records to digital audio files used to involve loads of cables and more than a little computing knowledge. Now making the process foolproof for even the least technically-minded laptop user, the USB Turntable is the perfect way to convert to the MP3-age in style."
      What Laptop & Handheld PC

"It will breathe new life into your record collection so you can appreciate the sound of vinyl - clicks, scratches and all - even on your iPod." 4 out of 5
      The Times

"It's a brilliant means of rediscovering great and dodgy tunes from the past."

Rating:        Views: 6832
      USB Turntable Video
      Here's my video of me using the USB Turntable. In the video, I'm showing off the turntable by playing and recording a part of the Gorillaz song Dirty Harry. The sound quality is awesome.
      Martin, Andover (Hampshire) - 3rd Jan 2007
      Video URL:  http://www.firebox.com/video/85

What you said...

Surely, the best EVER USB tool for a PC? It's always been such a pain transferring vinyl to a PC, but this little beaut makes the process simple. I've been happily routing round my loft and garage looking for long, long classics to encode. Briliiant.
      Simon Young, Warwick - Mar '07

A truly brilliant and useful gadget. I received the order exactly as scheduled, removed packaging, assembled, loaded software, fetched the vinyl out of the attic and started recording all within 20 minutes. Very simple to use, the only downside is that there is no cover.
      Firebox says: Unfortunately, ours do not come with a dust cover, but dust covers for this specific turntable are available from http://www.digitaldeckcovers.com ;)
      Dal, Worcester - Feb '07

I just started using my turntable this weekend and it is awesome! I recommend this to anyone looking to convert their vinyl to digital. It also seems to work with Windows Media Center on my system, so I wouldn't be afraid of that issue.
      Randy Lane, Marshalltown,Iowa - Feb '07

Can anyone tell me whether this will work with iPods? Or will I need to convert the files afterwards? Sorry to be thick - technology not really my bag but thinking of buying this for my husband. Thanks.
      Firebox says: Hi Vicki, once you convert your vinyl to MP3 format (using the software provided) then you'll be able to transfer to you iPod via iTunes (which you will need to install on your pc).
      Vicki Robinson, Leeds - Nov '06

I'm seriously considering purchasing this package. Just one question, will It separate the tracks as on a CD OR does It record an album as one track?
      Firebox says: The Audacity software provided will split each song into it's own mp3 file, so you can pick and choose which songs you want to burn to CD.
      David Hellawell, Holmfirth. Yorkshire - Jan '07

I too am very keen to purchase one of these fantastic products but am keen to know if an entire side of an LP needs to be saved as one mp3 (and then manually split into individual mp3 files for each track) or whether the software is clever enough to do this automatically?
      Firebox says: The Audacity Software will split the songs automatically. Each song will have it's own mp3 file.
      Step, Norwich - Jan '07

I'd like to have one of these turntables, but I've got Windows Media Center edition. What's the problem with this version of Windows? Is there a workaround?
      Firebox says: The USB turntable will now function with Windows Vista and Windows Media Centre. For further info, pelase contact technical support on +44 (0) 1252 353 850.
      Mike, Kent - Nov '06

I am about to buy one, but have a question. Can the turntable also be used as a standard turntable connected to an amp not a computer? ie: once I've transferred some vinyl, can I use it to simply play vinyl?
      Firebox says: Absolutely! As long as your amp or hi-fi has the 3.5mm stereo line output, then it should be fine.
      Phil Barrett, Bedfordshire - Nov '06

Will scratching on this turntable knacker up the stylus? Or will it not...?
      Firebox says: It probably will so not advised, it's only a standard stylus - not a flashy hi-tech dj one.
      Conor Devine, Bedfordshire - Nov '06

I wonder why this turntable looks EXACTLY like a Numark... A - Numark has something to do with this product. or B- This guys just happen to have used the same plastic to make the turntable.
      Firebox says: This product is made by Numark ;)
      Marco Almeida, Seixal, Portugal - May '07

Like this? You'll love this...

Whether it's Sgt Pepper or Never Mind the you-know-whats, it will look ultra stylish displayed in this ingenious frame. Designed to showcase your favourite album sleeves, each Album Art Frame allows you to quickly change the contents via a slot at the top of the frame. Now where's that Tiffany 12"?

More info...

Wreck the decks (or something like that) and create your very own mixes and compilations directly from your PC with this idiot-proof USB Mixing Kit. Simply drag and drop your favourite songs onto the virtual turntables and get busy wiggling your crossfader.

More info...
      Plus Deck Cassette Converter
      Rediscover the music trapped on your old tapes with this ingenious gizmo that allows you to play and convert audio cassettes on your PC. Simply install the PlusDeck in a spare slot and pump up the jam! (Or something like that).

More info...
      iAxe USB Guitar
      Amps, stomp boxes and recording studios? You won't need any such malarkey with this amazing USB-friendly guitar as its accompanying software can do the lot - no roadies required.

**********************************************************************************

This weekend I am buying a 500GB external hard drive to put my 800+ CD music collection on to.
      It holds up to 8330 hours of digital music for £100. (or160,00 photos / 500hrs of video).  :o

I have a program which I bought 2 years ago called Music Label and it is a stunning, customizable catalogue where you place the CD in your Rom / Ram drive and the information from the disc is read over the Net and then put onto your PC. You can choose Artist, Album, Year, Genre etc etc and it even has a stats area so you can see which you have most of in either Genre or Format! Awesome progam for people with BIG collections!

The link Kenny will be posted soon.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jun 09, 2007 02:58:34 am
      RED 10 28. Class!

Not quite what I'm looking for mate, but I love it!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #6: Jun 09, 2007 10:19:32 am
      As promised, the link...

http://www.codeaero.com/music-label/

http://www.codeaero.com/music-label/tour/index.html

I'm amazed the turntable doesn't meet your specifications Kenny  ???
      What is it that doesn't fit your requirements?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Jun 09, 2007 12:37:03 pm
      Cheers mate.

Well the USB turntable would be ideal, but I already have some decks which I can plug into the pc. It's just the program I use to record and convert into mp3 format that I was wondering about. Never done it before you see. I'm a digital music recording virgin  :angel:
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #8: Jun 09, 2007 04:10:04 pm
      Just bought that 500GB external hard drive to start uploading my 800+ CD collection on (and my vinyl when I buy that USB turntable!).
      I feel a challenge coming on Kenny! 1st one to transfer their collection on to their PC from A to Z! You up for it?!  ;)  :action-smiley-057: :action-smiley-057: :mixed-smiley-009:
      david_brent
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 10, 2007 06:33:03 pm
      I started attempting doing the CD to MP3 thing once, but found a lot of these programs that are supposed to put all the track names etc in just don't work for my collections. Fine for the new stuff.

Gave up in the end.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2007 04:11:21 pm
      Vaguely remember a problem called Audacity?

Try www.zdnet.co.uk/downloads - they have tons of programs, some freeware, some shareware.

Good luck.  It's going to take you many hours sunshine!!

Thanks for your help mate. I think I may have figured out Audacity.
      This is where the many hours might come into affect now.....

Quick Reply