Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rodolfo Borrell and The Liverpool Philosophy

Read 19050 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Rodolfo Borrell and The Liverpool Philosophy
      Apr 25, 2010 11:42:18 am
      Many on here have questioned Rafas commitment to this club. Using the weakest squad we have had recently and a season ravaged by injury to justify their cries for Rafas head. Seeing how many clubs around us are now outpunching us in the transfer market it is only logical for Rafa to employ a different tactic to ensure long term success.

Enter the overhauled youth system. There has been a concentrated effort this year to integrate our youth and reserve teams more, with the focus being on talent development rather than winning trophies. We have stepped up our investment in finding the countries best youngsters, with the help of Rodolfo and his team, who were poached from Barcelona.

Rafa keeps in constant contact with the youth and reserves, watching both teams. Even with the problems in the first team he hasnt lost his way, connecting the ideas from youth to first teams. Same shape, same philosophy, same football. It is allowing the youth players to step up to reserves and do themselves proud and it will allow the reserves to do them same. Thats why we use the same shape, same methods, same style of play to emulate the successfull Barcelona system where all teams use the same philosophy.

This is how committed Rafa is to this club. We may have had a bad season with the first team but all the foundations needed to make this club successfull in the long term are in place.

Think of that before you call for Rafas head next time and ask where will we be if he stays and we get some serious owners. Then we wont have to worry about lesser teams getting number 19 or 20
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 11:21:03 am by racerx34 »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Rodolfo Borrell and The Liverpool Philosophy
      Reply #1: Apr 25, 2010 11:46:15 am
      Interesting point Racer.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #2: Apr 25, 2010 12:09:17 pm
      I dont want Rafas head- and i dont understand anyone who does!
      Yeah sure he may not play the line-up we all want to see, make dodgy subs, etc etc.. but no-one thinks he knows more than what we do about individual players conditions.

I trust Rafa & the team to bring home number 19!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Apr 25, 2010 12:50:56 pm
      spot on. Its not just the 1st team Rafa is involved with.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Apr 25, 2010 01:24:46 pm
      Is right Racer, top post mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Apr 25, 2010 01:44:07 pm
      I think sometimes in a difficult season we can lose sight of the bigger picture. Hope this informs people that with the right owners Liverpool will become the best team in the world because all the ground work is done. All we need is some proper investment and a stadium to match the other European greats
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Apr 25, 2010 02:03:41 pm
      Was looking forward to you making this point. Saw you refer to it earlier in another thread. For that reason, well done because it's a great point to make.

If the overhaul of staff wasn't enough to show his commitment to our youth then this surely does.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 25, 2010 02:44:20 pm
      This has nothing to do with calling for Rafa's head or questioning Rafa's commitment to LFC:

How do we know that we're trying to emulate Barçelona in our academy? Just because we have one Rodolfo doesn't mean we will do what Barça have been doing for years. The truth is we don't know what he wants to do at Liverpool. We assume he will apply what he has been doing in Barça, but he may do things differently here than those he did in Spain. Premier League is not Spanish La Liga, the football style is different.

Personally I donot question Rafa's commitment, my only problem is we play crap football and losing or not winning. I seriously doubt his ability to win us the League, however I am not going to bet against him winning another Champions League before winning the league. Here in the league, you just have to get 6 or 7 points out of 9 in average.

We won't be able to get this 6 or 7 points every 3 games unless we are attacking, creating clear cut chances and not just half chances relying on Torres' accuracy only, when he's crooked we are too. Why can not we play every game like the one we played against Sunderland? Don't tell me that the players could not execute it, no! It is because the gaffer wants to play different games against different opponents and the players get lost! Misplacing passes, static movements, players do not know where their team mates are going/running, etc....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Apr 25, 2010 04:14:13 pm
      My points number7 are based on an interview that Rodolfo had with LFCTV not just random speculation on what might happen but the actual thoughts of one of the main men charged with overhauling our youth system. I have summarised the main points of his interview as I could not find the interview online
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 25, 2010 04:22:30 pm
      Fair enough racerx34.
      Hopefully it works well in the end. At the moment, judging from the Academy's results we still have a long to catch up with his method. But this is his first year, so of course he has time in this side to make things right. A system won't be built in a season anyway.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Apr 25, 2010 04:29:41 pm
      If you had read my original post properly you would have seen it is not purely about results. We were well on course to titles this year but our most promising players have all been moved up a level to increase their development so you will find a lot of youth players have featured in the reserves. To say you will wait on results only indicates you missed the whole point of the article
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 11:21:34 am by racerx34 »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: Apr 26, 2010 10:25:47 pm
      I made this same point before in the thread about Juve wanting Rafa. Someone accused Rafa of being a control freak but I made the same point that it is important for him to be involved in the youth / reserve system so that they all play the same way and can adapt quickly when called upon for the first team.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #12: Apr 26, 2010 10:34:12 pm
      Many on here have questioned Rafas commitment to this club. Using the weakest squad we have had recently and a season ravaged by injury to justify their cries for Rafas head. Seeing how many clubs around us are now outpunching us in the transfer market it is only logical for Rafa to employ a different tactic to ensure long term success.

Enter the overhauled youth system. There has been a concentrated effort this year to integrate our youth and reserve teams more, with the focus being on talent development rather than winning trophies. We have stepped up our investment in finding the countries best youngsters, with the help of Rodolfo and his team, who were poached from Barcelona.

Rafa keeps in constant contact with the youth and reserves, watching both teams. Even with the problems in the first team he hasnt lost his way, connecting the ideas from youth to first teams. Same shape, same philosophy, same football. It is allowing the youth players to step up to reserves and do themselves proud and it will allow the reserves to do them same. Thats why we use the same shape, same methods, same style of play to emulate the successfull Barcelona system where all teams use the same philosophy.

This is how committed Rafa is to this club. We may have had a bad season with the first team but all the foundations needed to make this club successfull in the long term are in place.

Think of that before you call for Rafas head next time and ask where will we be if he stays and we get some serious owners. Then we wont have to worry about lesser teams getting number 19 or 20

You can throw in the new sports therapist in that mix too. Supposed to be one of the best.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #13: Apr 26, 2010 11:13:28 pm
      Well this will sound like one of those "my best mates dog slept with rafas poodle and he said that..." but someone who I know is currently the manager of a youth team in a lower league team and he was interviewed at the beginning of the year for the liverpool youth team job. Whilst on the interview rafa came in the room and basically took over telling him exactly how he wants everything done all the way through from youth to first team.

My friend who was interviewed basically put across how passionate rafa was about where he wants the club to go. Something about counter attacking being a major factor too but cant remember what he said about that to be honest.
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #14: Apr 26, 2010 11:24:52 pm
      Well this will sound like one of those "my best mates dog slept with rafas poodle and he said that..." but someone who I know is currently the manager of a youth team in a lower league team and he was interviewed at the beginning of the year for the liverpool youth team job. Whilst on the interview rafa came in the room and basically took over telling him exactly how he wants everything done all the way through from youth to first team.

My friend who was interviewed basically put across how passionate rafa was about where he wants the club to go. Something about counter attacking being a major factor too but cant remember what he said about that to be honest.

Did he give your friend any tips on growing a goatee?  :D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #15: Apr 26, 2010 11:53:47 pm

Damn you! Of course your now expected to go back to your mate, with pen and paper, and interview him yourself for more info on how he wants things run!

On another note, this is a very good point, if we can't compete financially, then this is the next best option, ideally we could do both, but for obvious reasons we can't.

Hopefully see some results soon.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2010 12:11:01 am
      He's had 6 years to build foundations
      Also the "ravaged by injury" concept is a fallacy - our injuries have been no worse than those around us
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #17: Apr 27, 2010 12:17:38 am
      Also the "ravaged by injury" concept is a fallacy - our injuries have been no worse than those around us

dont know the exact figures but id be pretty confident that we have had a rougher season as far as key players go.
      Henrik577
      • Banned

• 984 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2010 12:22:45 am
      dont know the exact figures but id be pretty confident that we have had a rougher season as far as key players go.

Off the top of my head
      Rooney, Rio, Vidic, VDS, Brown, Hardgreaves, Giggs, Owen
      Essien, A.Cole, J.Cole, Bosingwa, carvalho
      Van Persie, Fabregas, Gallas, Varmelen, Ramsey, Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin, Diaby, Walcott
      (Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Aqui, Torres, Aurelli0.....
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2010 12:29:21 am
      Off the top of my head
      Van Persie, Fabregas, Gallas, Varmelen, Ramsey, Eduardo, Rosicky, Arshavin, Diaby, Walcott

ill pick me legs up shall I?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #20: Apr 27, 2010 12:53:43 am
      My points number7 are based on an interview that Rodolfo had with LFCTV

Do you have a link to that? It'd be interesting to watch/read. I tried to find it the other day but i didn't have time.

I must admit i think this academy restructuring and transfer activity does look promising and its certainly an area we could improve on. Would be good if Rafa's vision works out and we get a conveyer belt of talent like the La Masia.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Apr 27, 2010 05:05:54 pm
      Source: Liverpoolfc.tv
      Rafa Benitez believes there are already signs that our new-look Academy is producing exciting talent.

The gaffer instigated big changes down in Kirkby last summer, with the likes of Frank McParland, Kenny Dalglish, Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell being drafted in.

One player they are nurturing is 15-year-old left-back Jack Robinson, who was invited to train with the first team last week.

Benitez is hopeful the teenager and several other Academy scholars will soon be ready to train regularly alongside the likes of Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard.

"Jack was okay," the boss told Liverpoolfc.tv. "He was a little bit shy at first, a little bit quiet. But the senior players were helping and supporting him. The first training session is never easy but little by little he was better.

"We have to go one step at a time, they have to progress through different teams, but it's always important to meet someone and give the others the message that they can progress if they're doing well. It's a good message for the others now because they have extra motivation.

"We didn't have too many players of the level we were expecting but now the atmosphere is really good and we have more players with quality.

"They have some players in each group and the other day I got a report with different names and different players - but still they are young so they have to keep working very hard if they want to be in the Reserves and then the first team."

Asked what changes had been made at the Academy since last summer, Benitez added: "When I talk with them it's clear they're doing a very good job and all the staff are working very hard to improve and change things. We are really pleased with them.

"We are trying for a different approach in training sessions. The mentality and the way they have to behave is more or less the same because it already wasn't bad.

"The technical plan and how to push the players is now a little bit better."
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: Apr 27, 2010 05:35:54 pm
      Off the top of my head

(Gerrard, Yossi, Riera) before Riera's outburst obviously.

I mean they must have been injured, they were having horse placenta rubbed all over them. ;D

It's worth noting too at one point in the season, we had 11 first team players ruled out through injury, so I can't really call the injury situation a falacy.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2010 05:43:24 pm

He's had just over 12 months, when he signed his new contract last March, to build foundations not 6 years, and the only players not to have been out injured this season are Reina, Lucas and until last week Kuyt and Insua.  Not only have 1st team players been out but their replacements have also been injured.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2010 08:15:10 pm
      Off the top of my head

Are you thinking that all the players you have mentioned for the other teams are key?

Hargreaves has always been a bit part player and never had an impact at United, Owen has hardly played a game for them and when he did it was off the bench, Brown was never first choice and Giggs is on the bench more and more.

Ramsey, Eduardo, Walcott, Diaby and Rosicky have never been viewed as key players at Arsenal.

Bosingwa and Carvalho have both been dropped more times than they would have liked due to the form of Alex and Ivanovic.

If you are trying to suggest they have had it as rough as us regarding injuries then you are deluded because we had 11 players out at one stage and have always had our best players in each position out as a different key player comes back. We even had Pepe take an injury to his shoulder but luckily he was able to carry on through it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2010 09:41:28 pm
      Rodolfo Borrell remembers the exact date when Cesc Fabregas made his debut at the Barcelona academy.

It was 11 November, 1997 and the future Arsenal captain was 10 years old.

Borrell is no statistical anorak; the occasion is etched in his memory because discovering Fabregas was the reward for hours and hours spent scouring local youth clubs for youngsters worthy of the famous blue and red shirt.

Fabregas had been playing for Mataro, a team based 35km north of Barcelona, but it was not until Borrell's third visit to the club that he unearthed his diamond.

"I went to see them play again and suddenly I saw this one player who was simply wonderful," recalls Borrell.

"They told me he was called Cesc Fabregas and he was one year younger than the rest. He was good at running with the ball, had a fantastic pass over short, medium and long distances.

"He was very mature for his age and had all the attributes we were looking for at Barcelona at that time.

"At half-time, I asked the coach why I had not seen this kid before. He admitted that, when he saw me coming, he had decided not to play him because he knew that if I saw him I would take him."

A deal was reached whereby Fabregas would play out the season with his club before joining the Barcelona academy at La Masia - a converted farm where the boys are housed and schooled in the philosophy of the Catalan giants, whose motto proclaims the importance of the team to its region: "Mes que un club" - More than a club.

The young Fabregas continued to live at home and go to school, but spent the rest of his time at La Masia, training, eating and studying at the famous institution which produced seven of the Barcelona side who won the treble of La Liga, Spanish Cup and Champions League last season.

Among his peers were current Barcelona centre-back Gerard Pique and a certain Lionel Messi, who was signed from Newell's Old Boys in Argentina as a 13-year-old and played with Fabregas for Borrell's under-14s.

The duo will come face to face again when Arsenal take on Barcelona in the quarter-finals of the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Borrell, who spent 13 years at Barcelona and now coaches Liverpool under-18s, remembers Messi as a youngster of immense skill, but he is staggered by the progress of a player who has 25 league goals in as many games this season and is widely regarded as the natural successor to Argentina legend Diego Maradona.

"Nobody can predict that a lad of 13 years old will become a superstar," says Borrell.

"Yes, he had a lot of things but he had a long way to go. A lot of people talk about his talent, but I can add that he's a big talent with a big mentality. He was hungry for football. He would finish one training session and be dying to train the next day."

With the likes of Messi on a fast track to the first team, and fellow midfielders Xavi and Andres Iniesta starting to establish themselves, Fabregas sensed his opportunities would be limited at Barca and decided to take up the offer of a professional contract at Arsenal.

Having become the London side's youngest ever first-team player at 16 years, 177 days, Fabregas has since developed into one of the world's most complete midfielders.

For Barca and their fans, he is the one who got away, and the club have made no secret of their desire to get him back.

Before the start of this season, Fabregas was asked about re-joining Barcelona and expressed his commitment to the Gunners. But there was one significant proviso. If Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola were to call him personally "it would be different".

As a player, Guardiola was very much the prototype of the modern Spanish midfielder: technically-gifted, balanced and an immaculate passer of the ball.

He was at the heart of Johan Cruyff's all-conquering Barca side in the 1990s and was idolised by the young Fabregas as he made his way through the academy ranks.

Borrell, who has remained a friend and confidante to Fabregas, tells a story that encapsulates the connection between the Arsenal star and his one-time hero.

In 2001, when Fabregas was going through the pain of his parents' divorce, Borrell persuaded Guardiola to sign his famous number four shirt for the young protege. On it, he wrote "One day, you will be the number four of Barcelona".

"I called him into my room and explained that I was aware of what was happening in his family," recalls Borrell. "He started to cry, so I showed him the famous shirt. You can imagine the reaction. His idol has written a message for him on his shirt. It was a fantastic moment."

Speculation over Fabregas's return to Barcelona is likely to intensify this summer when he is expected to be used as a pawn in the club's presidential elections.

Candidate Sandro Rosell promises to use his close links to the Fabregas family to entice the Arsenal star back to the club.

But the decision, it seems, lies entirely with the player.

On the one hand, there is the chance to play in what is emerging as one of the greatest club sides in history, to be reunited with the stupendous Messi, and to be managed by his idol.

On the other hand, he has the chance to finish what he has started at Arsenal, as the leader of Wenger's potentially irresistible young side, now chasing a first trophy since 2005.

"He is in a great club, with a great coach and fantastic team-mates who play fantastic football in a nice city where the people adore him," says Borrell.

"But I think everybody wants to go home one day, and at the kind of level Barca are playing at the moment he must be tempted. Everybody in Barcelona is expecting him to arrive soon but this doesn't mean he will go."

Borrell predicts an open game at the Emirates, with both sides scoring at least twice, but expects Barca's superior quality to shine through at the Nou Camp.

And if Barca do win comfortably, could the pull towards his boyhood club become overwhelming for Fabregas?

"He's a professional and he will only be thinking to do the best for his team, to make his team win," says Borrell.

"I don't think the result will affect his decision. He loves the club who pushed him so quickly to the top level and he's always giving his maximum for the team."

In an attempt to steer this back on topic.
      Here's Rodolfo remembering one of his best finds
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Jan 21, 2011 12:14:31 pm
      Kenny, Messi and Ballon d'Or

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/kenny-messi-and-ballon-d-or

21st Jan 2011 - Latest News
      17 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      In the latest column from the Academy, U18s coach Rodolfo Borrell discusses Kenny, Messi and the Ballon d'Or...

I have to say I have been completely overwhelmed by the wave of positivity that Kenny Dalglish's return to the Liverpool dugout has created.

There is a real feel-good factor reverberating around every corner of the club at the moment and it says a lot about the presence of the man.

It is no secret that Kenny is a legend for what he has achieved at this club and I have huge respect for him. That's not just down to his outstanding record of success. It is also because of what he has done for me on a personal level since I arrived here.

When I moved to England he was of great support to me and always looked to help with the biggest humility. He was the Academy's ambassador for a season and a half and I am delighted that he has been able to realise his dream of returning as the manager of the first team.

I am really happy that we have a boss who knows about the very fabric of this football club. He won countless trophies and is one of the greatest players in our history - that instantly commands respect from players, staff, supporters and everyone associated with Liverpool FC.

At his Anfield homecoming last Sunday I made sure I got to the ground early. I knew it was going to be a special day and I wanted to savour the atmosphere. I didn't want to miss one second of the reception Kenny was about to enjoy. I understood that it would be a moment I would never forget.

I wasn't disappointed either. I don't think there are a group of supporters in the world that are as passionate about their club as ours are. I have never experienced anything like Anfield. The fans are so supportive even when the team is not playing as well as they would hope.

Every time I attend a home game the fans are unbelievable because their loyal support is unwavering. That is the difference between Liverpool and all of the other clubs around the world.

You could never question the backing of that crowd. The fans are quite simply Liverpool's gold. It is occasions such as the Everton game that make me so proud to be able to say I work for this club.

In Spain you would not have a crowd so eager to assist when things do not run smoothly. That is why I try to explain to the people sitting around me that this support is not normal - it is special.

As for Kenny, well returning to the hot-seat has not changed him one bit.

He has been in charge less than two weeks and I have seen him here on at least three separate occasions.

On Tuesday he even found time to sit  beside me on the bench for our U17 friendly with Shrewsbury. That's almost unheard of nowadays but it isn't anything new here. You must remember he's been doing that sort of thing since returning to the club.

Our admiration has not changed now he is the main man. We have always felt this way about him.

I am a young coach looking to improve all of the time and to be able to tap into Kenny's knowledge is invaluable. I have much to learn.

I am always striving to improve and it is massive for me to be able to call on Kenny for advice from time to time. I am very lucky to have had his support from day one, even though he may not have known how good a coach I was. I will always appreciate that.

I was also very pleased to learn that Kenny was taking some of our players for a week of training at Melwood. That is a massive step for them but it is also just as important that we keep their feet on the ground. We must choose the right individuals to go there and I think Kenny has done that.

Suso is a great talent and Conor Coady is the captain of our U18s. They both deserve their chance to train with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

When they return to us, it will be our job to ensure they understand that they must work just as hard so that one day they go to Melwood permanently.

The rest of the lads had been looking forward to Saturday's mini-derby at Everton, but unfortunately that has been postponed due to their involvement in the Youth Cup. It means we have a spare weekend which is something we do not need after the weather forced us to cancel so many games before Christmas.

With that in mind, we sought out another friendly that we played on Thursday morning.

I wanted the lads to face a real test. They have all enjoyed the good publicity following the Youth Cup wins over Notts County and Crystal Palace, as well as last week's 3-1 victory over Bolton. So, we set up a match against Accrington Stanley. They brought a mix of first-team and reserve players but unfortunately we had to settle for an eight-a-side indoor match because of the fog.

We lost the game 6-3 but I was delighted with the exercise. I think the players learn much more in this type of clash. They were physically strong and it proved to be really difficult for our lads. I wanted them to experience the problems that posed and to understand that they are far from the finished product. I think such a test will be just as beneficial as playing well and winning at Anfield in the Youth Cup. It's all about experiencing the highs and lows of football and controlling your emotions.

Finally, I would like to take a moment to congratulate Lionel Messi on his recent Ballon d'Or success.

Having coached him at a tender age I was obviously very proud to see him win and that he was on the shortlist alongside two other products of Barcelona's youth system.

I also worked with the runner-up, Andres Iniesta. Xavi had progressed by the time I arrived at the Barcelona Academy but the nominations once again highlight the great success they have had with their youth system.

It is not just down to their talent as players. It is also thanks to the hard work carried out by a lot of people who are striving towards the same goal. The result is that these world-class players are now key to the triumphs of their first team.

We are hoping to have a similar success here at Liverpool in the years ahead. Like I said in my last column, it is not about copying Barcelona. If we can nurture young players that go on to have a huge impact on our history then we will be seeing the end result of everybody's hard work.

I now feel we are all working as one at this club and we are seeing some good progress here in Kirkby. Who knows, maybe one day we will see three players who came through Liverpool's ranks up for the Ballon d'Or.

Of course, that is very much a distant dream but I can assure you that we remain 100 per cent committed to ensuring the best talent in the English game emerges here in Kirkby.

Rodolfo was speaking to Paul Hassall
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #27: Jan 21, 2011 12:27:49 pm
      I don't want to heap pressure on the young lad but could Suso be our Fabregas? Rodolfo has a brilliant record, as a coach with a good eye for a player, it's a pity he doesn't work very close with Suso.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #28: Jan 21, 2011 02:48:19 pm
       I believe employing Rodolfo will turn out to be the best thing that Rafa did for LFC, this is taking into account Nando and Istanbul
       In the long run this man could be far more important than king Kenny ?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #29: Jan 21, 2011 02:48:31 pm
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell. Not just because of his exemplary record at Barca but also for the way he speaks about this club. He seems to understand it in a way that Roy Hodgson certainly never did.

We're hoping for some Ballon d'Or players too Rodolfo! Three will do.... ;)
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #30: Jan 21, 2011 02:55:37 pm
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell.

Me too. He's doing a fantastic job with the Academy and the way he conducts himself is very impressive as well.

We're going to be reaping the rewards very soon and i, for one, cannot wait.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Jan 21, 2011 07:52:30 pm
      Excellent man. Really admire him too.

Keep up the brilliant work, Rodolfo and of course his whole team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #32: May 27, 2011 10:52:42 am
      'It's an honour to follow greats'
      27th May 2011 - Latest News
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/it-s-an-honour-to-follow-greats
      Rodolfo Borrell has revealed his great pride at following in the footsteps of some of Liverpool's greatest ever names after he was confirmed as the new reserve team coach earlier this week.

The Spaniard was promoted from his role as U18 coach in an end of season revamp at the club's Academy and admits he was humbled when he learned that some of the Reds' finest managers had cut their teeth in the dugout while with the second-string.

The former Barcelona man also spoke about his plans for pre-season, his hopes for the newly-formed U19 Champions League as well as his relationship with Kenny Dalglish.

Here he gives Liverpoolfc.tv his first interview as the newly-installed reserve team coach.

Rodolfo, this week you've been confirmed as Liverpool's new reserve team coach, congratulations, you must be delighted...

It's a great honour for me to be the reserve team manager. The club have shown they have great confidence in my ability and I am happy. It is a job that means my name will sit forever alongside the likes of Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Roy Evans, Phil Thompson and Sammy Lee. They are big names in Liverpool's history and it is also an important role because it is the final step in the Academy. The players need to be ready if they are to make the move into the first-team set-up and I am going to fight for that.

The fans have given the news a big thumbs up, how important is that to you personally?

I always say the same about the fans. Without them Liverpool wouldn't be the club it is. The fans are everything to me and they are very special, backing everyone at the club in good and bad moments. If they have received this news as positive then that is massive for me. I am thankful that they respect me as a person, my ability in my job and especially for the way they have come to Kirkby to watch the U18 games. I will work hard to make them come to more games in the future.

You'll be working even more closely with Frank McParland now - just how important has he been in the Academy's improvement over the past two years?

Frank McParland is my director and we are constantly talking about players, the squad and different situations that arise throughout the season. He is a great support to me and I am certain it will be the same again next season.

Have you spoken to Kenny Dalglish about your new role and do you expect to have more input from him now?

I cannot complain about the input of Kenny. One of the big things about him is that he hasn't changed since he became first-team manager. He was at the Academy 18 months before he took charge and he still comes to see us regularly now. It's impossible for him to be here every day like he was when he was based here but he still comes here every week. His input on matters is continual and I go to Melwood more regularly than I used to. We talk about all kinds of things, even the first-team. He sometimes asks my opinion and I will comment. I have to be very thankful to him because without his support it would have been very difficult for me to get the job as reserve team boss. I am very pleased to be working with him and I will make sure I work even harder to help him so that the players can make this last step and be ready for the first-team.

You've coached throughout most age groups at youth team level. Do you feel that gives you the perfect grounding to take on your new role?

I have always believed I should coach all of the age groups and go step by step. This has been important as it has helped me to get a big knowledge about the whole process of developing players. At Barcelona I started out with the under eights and moved through all of the age groups. I think I am a lot more ready to make a step forward because of this knowledge and have a very clear idea in my mind about what to do to push the players through to the first-team - or at least get a chance to show what they can do.

Former Reds player Mike Marsh takes over from you as U18 coach - how impressed have you been by him and will you be passing on any advice to him?

He has done a great job with the U16s. Everyone can see he deserves to go through to the U18s. He also has experience playing professionally. I do not need to give him any advice. We talk regularly and I think it is a good move to move him up. He has a great attitude during the training sessions. He has knowledge, experience and I think he will do well.

You had great success at U18 level. Do you expect to take a large part of that group of players up to the reserves with you?

We will have to talk about this. Obviously some players that were U18s are now going to be U19s. We have to discuss whether we will make new signings and who will remain that was already in the reserves' squad. Someone who was U17 could also come through to it. I have only just returned from a tour of the Caribbean and it has only just been confirmed that I am the reserve team manager, so we will talk about all of this in the near future.

There's also the added challenge of the Next Generation Tournament (U19 Champions League) next season - how exciting is that for you as a coach?

It is a great opportunity for me as a coach and for the lads as players. Obviously it is a great competition and it is going to be really tough. There are some massive clubs involved including Sporting Lisbon. They have the best youth system in Portugal and one of the best in the world. The likes of Luis Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Quaresma have all come from there. They are a great example as an Academy. There are other teams like Manchester City, Barcelona, Wolfsburg, Milan etc etc. We will play home and away against big crowds in great games and that can only be positive for the lads.

Is a tournament like that crucial in helping young players narrow the huge step towards first-team level?

The league that the reserves play is what it is. I don't think it is bad in terms of the level but the regularity of the games isn't so great. You don't play every week and I think that is something that someone has to look to improve. I think the quality of the games is quite good. I think the U19 Champions League will help this a lot too. If we don't get enough games then we must look for some tough friendlies. My focus is to set up some interesting games for the pre-season. We must look to get the lads ready to put in massive effort and massive performances in order to create competition and win matches playing the right football. This is what I am looking for.

This season has only just finished but it sounds like you have already begun making your plans for pre-season?

Two days ago the news broke. Obviously I had a clue of what was happening before that so I made some plans in my head. Now I am just trying to put that into practice. For example I had Birmingham City and Norwich City in mind to come and play friendly matches with their reserves at the Academy. They are two Academies that are quite good and had strong U18s this season which means they will be good reserves next season. I called them yesterday and have arranged these matches but still need to make some calls and arrange what else I have had in mind.

Just finally, we can't let you go without asking you about the U18s' end of season tour to the Caribbean - how pleased were you with the overall trip?

We had a great time. You can see by the colour in my face! My colour is usually brown because I am Spanish but not like this! For a lot of the lads it was their first time in the Caribbean. They loved it. We also had a good game against St Vincent U20s. We played well in the second half and won the game 4-1. We had a great time. There were lots of visits, snorkelling with turtles etc. It was a nice trip and great to help bring the lads even more together.

RB-Rodolfo Borrell
      RB-Rafa Benitez

The question is - Have you ever seen them in the same room... ;)

Classy guy and would love to see him stay here and manage our first team eventually
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      Reply #33: May 27, 2011 09:02:09 pm
      We really are building something great here and this guy its central to alot of it. He always talks well after a game, hes one of those people who I just like to lusten to about football. The guy deserves as much credit as anyone at the club fpr the revolution currently under way. Top bloke.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #34: May 29, 2011 01:17:43 am
      Anyone who had an input into tonight's humiliation of the scum has got to be good.

We may not have La Masia but we probably have a spare Robbie Fowler house in Scotty Road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9393966.stm

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #35: May 29, 2011 01:49:11 am
      Anyone who had an input into tonight's humiliation of the scum has got to be good.
      We may not have La Masia but we probably have a spare Robbie Fowler house in Scotty Road.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9393966.stm

Great story, thank you for the link.  :)
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #36: May 29, 2011 02:37:45 am
      I have lot of respect and admiration for Borrell. Not just because of his exemplary record at Barca but also for the way he speaks about this club. He seems to understand it in a way that Roy Hodgson certainly never did.

We're hoping for some Ballon d'Or players too Rodolfo! Three will do.... ;)
      Any less! then he should be sacked.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #37: May 29, 2011 11:12:44 pm
      Great story, thank you for the link.  :)

Our very own Pepe went there.

(Not Scotty. Barca.)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Jun 03, 2011 02:17:05 pm
      Why Liverpool FC Can Be to English Football What Barcelona Is to the Spanish
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/721071-why-liverpool-fc-can-be-to-english-football-what-barcelona-is-to-the-spanish
      By kaustav bose(Liverpool Featured Columnist)

The English Daily Liverpool Echo may have related the origin of Barcelona FC to Liverpudlian witty brothers; however, there can be more to the Liverpool-Barcelona in the coming times than just that.

According to official stats,of the 32 players who played for Barcelona in their last campaign, 21 were academy youngsters. We are also very well aware the effect that this had on the Spanish national team in the recent times. Even seemingly undroppable players in England like Torres and Fabregas could not make the cut in the Spanish National time, which was filled with a flurry of La Liga players.

Now, with seven players of Liverpool playing in the England U-19 and a plethora of promising English youngsters filling the reserve ranks at Anfield, Liverpool look set to mirror the Barcelona- like effect in England in the coming days.

Also, under Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool looks set to buy premier league players and preferably English players, which could be an expensive exercise given the transfer market operating in England. However, constant links to Ashley Young (who may well be missed out due to absence of premier European football at the club next year), Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Gary Cahill and even Connor Wickham etc., only re-inforce Liverpool's recruitment strategy, which may well be that of attracting the best available British talent around.

Now, whether the Reds are able to gather the resources will be clear by the end of the present summer transfer window. And even if the Dalglish and Comolli have their targets, the success of the process in application would only be realized as Liverpool progress through the season.

However, under Rodolfo Borrell (who was incidentally appointed by Rafael Benitez after he had overhauled the academy in his last year at the club ), the former Barcelona academy manager who had overseen the progress of players like Messi and Iniesta in their teens, for the first time in over a decade, Liverpool FC can hope for a great supply of  talent from the academy and the reserves  (The signing of the much wanted Raheem Sterling has been a revelation and was also a signal of intent in the Benitez era.).

Now, though the transition from academy to the senior level is a huge one and many a great promising talent has lost out in the process, whether or not the academy players are able to mature the way Barcelona has found out remains to be seen. The entire process now looks a much better one for the Reds, unlike most other premier clubs in England, who are more keen on recruiting either foreign players or buying proven talents in the transfer windows.

The greatest drawback in building a team with superstars from the transfer market is that you need to constantly spend big, much like Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea are used to in the present and even Manchester United did until the recent past.

Also, only academy youngsters would still prefer a backseat for the senior players to learn from them. Big money buys, whether kids or otherwise, usually want a fast paced track to senior level football. This has been Barcelona's greatest advantage, as they could maintain a good and constant supply of players without bothering about their ego problems because of their bench stay. Players like Thiago, Maxwell and Bojan etc., who could be regulars for many a top club around the world, were always at their service. Clearly, Mascherano and Afellay wouldn't play that role for long.

With the financial fair play coming into effect soon, focusing on the academy may be a long term measure taken by premier league clubs in the future; however,  at the moment, the performance of the Liverpool academy has really been encouraging and not only Liverpool, but the England National Football team may stand to benefit from it.

Now, only time will tell whether they can be as wonderful and stylish as Barcelona are at the moment (as it is incredibly tough to collect the accolade of "best club squad ever" like they have, and deservedly so), and predicting it makes little sense; however, Liverpool FC's greatest club team in the 80's would be well known to Kenny Dalglish. Under his tutelage, the Reds fans can dream on, and who knows? Liverpool FC may well be able to repeat their golden days.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Jun 03, 2011 06:38:35 pm
      Great Article. Makes you proud and positive for the future.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #40: Jun 03, 2011 06:51:21 pm
      Thanks for the article, racer. Yeah, as euro said, makes you proud and positive.

Didn't the late 1970s-early 1980s Liverpool team consist mostly of British footballers?
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #41: Jun 03, 2011 08:10:21 pm
      Great Article. Makes you proud and positive for the future.

Same. Really does fill you with optimism when you read articles like this.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Jun 08, 2011 02:45:33 pm

@ESPN_JorgeRamos
      Jorge Ramos & Banda
       Pep Guardiola declaro "la academia del Liverpool es la unica que puede competirle a "La Masia" del Barcelona FC."

Quote from Pep Guardiola declaring

The Liverpool Academy is the only one that can compare with La Masia of Barcelona FC.

High praise indeed.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #43: Jun 08, 2011 02:49:40 pm
      Nice praise indeed.
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #44: Jun 08, 2011 07:36:13 pm
      yes its great news he said something like we could produce around 20 players from academy in the next few years if we get half that its amazing
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #45: Jun 08, 2011 08:06:37 pm

@ESPN_JorgeRamos
      Jorge Ramos & Banda
       Pep Guardiola declaro "la academia del Liverpool es la unica que puede competirle a "La Masia" del Barcelona FC."

Quote from Pep Guardiola declaring

The Liverpool Academy is the only one that can compare with La Masia of Barcelona FC.

High praise indeed.

That's a tweet worth tweeting!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2011 08:25:24 pm
      Would be very tasty to see us come head to head in this youth champions league this season

And yes its nice to hear that comment. Lets hope though he doesnt have an eye on say Suso!!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2011 08:28:03 pm
      Good read was that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Aug 02, 2011 11:19:31 am
      Borrell: I still have the same aim
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/borrell-i-still-have-the-same-aim?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rodolfo Borrell insists his switch to reserve team boss won't affect his overall aim - to help produce young players for Liverpool's first-team.

The Spaniard arrived in Kirkby with a glittering CV and has since bolstered his credentials by moulding an U18 side that turned heads with its attractive style of football.

The success did not go unnoticed by the Anfield hierarchy and in the summer he was rewarded with a new role that he believes has the same objective.

"This is a different job for me," Borrell told LFC Weekly. "Most of the players in the squad are now men, or closer to being men than the U18s.

"It doesn't change my aim; to push the players on until they are good enough for the first-team. That is what we are all trying to do; Frank McParland, Pep (Segura), Kenny (Dalglish), Steve Clarke, Damien Comolli. And I'm sure it will be the same with the new coach, Kevin Keen. Our aim is to help produce players for the club.

"That's why we communicate so often, almost on a daily basis. We go to Melwood or Kenny, Steve and Damien come to the Academy. We talk about everything.

"We are all pushing in the same direction and when you do that it can only benefit the club and lead to success. That is our aim and we're all working hard to make it happen."

The full Borrell interview - including an explanation of how he celebrated Barcelona's Champions League final win over Manchester United - is in this week's LFC Weekly.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #49: Aug 05, 2011 05:51:58 am
      First and foremost - I love Rafa Benitez, he somehow engineered that famous night in 2005 - the tactics against Olympiakos at home, Juve away and both legs against Chelsea were unquestionable, as well as the decision to change the shape and bring Didi on to shackle Kaka in Istansbul. Best moment of my life when that trophy was lifted.

BUT

I think he absolute over indulgence in ever aspect of the club was his down fall, he's a poor delegator, he had a hand in the reserves, the YTS, transfers, his coaches kept leaving I suspect because of the control he exercised over them. Had he let the ideals mature naturally we would still eb reaping the rewards and his genius might have served us a bit better for the first team the past few years.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: Apr 24, 2012 09:51:34 am
      Please hang on to this man.

Borrell's Newcastle frustration

Love the man. Think we need to return to the boot room philosophy of promoting from within.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #51: Apr 24, 2012 10:19:10 am

Love the man. Think we need to return to the boot room philosophy of promoting from within.

Finishing second and disappointed. I like it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #52: Apr 24, 2012 12:05:18 pm
      Love the mans mentality and its one of the reasons why Rafa bought him in.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #53: Apr 24, 2012 12:19:49 pm
      He seems very similar to Rafa in his mentality (not just being Spanish and having a round head).
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #54: Apr 24, 2012 12:26:05 pm
      Hope we'll be like Barcelona in a few years XD
      MsGerrard
      Reply #55: Apr 24, 2012 11:41:15 pm

Future Manager?

Rafa the second....

Done wonders with the ressies.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #56: Apr 24, 2012 11:56:21 pm
      my favourite part of that interview was he was disappointed finishing second... with the youngest squad - first team should take note
      glines
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts |
      Reply #57: Apr 25, 2012 07:13:25 am
      Future Manager?

Rafa the second....

Done wonders with the ressies.

was gonna say exactly the same thing. I've been hugely impressed by his drive and intelligence. I wouldn't be unhappy to see him step up when Kenny decides to step upstairs.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Rodolfo Borrell
      Reply #58: Jul 25, 2012 01:41:46 am
      Rodolfo's an important person at the club. Deserves a thread, I think.

Great article.  :)

Rodolfo Borrell's Love for Football and Coaching Has Taken Him From Rubi to Kirkby
      Rodolfo Borrell's love for football was nurtured by long days passed as a youngster watching players train from the balcony of his family's apartment in Rubi, a short train journey down the coast from Barcelona. It was there he laid the foundations for a career that would take him from Rubi to Liverpool's Academy in Kirkby via some of the greatest footballers on the planet.

During his first coaching spell at local side Cornella, where he oversaw the development of children aged six to nine, Rodolfo set his heart on coaching at Barcelona and one day he decided to do something that would set the ball rolling on ensuring he got his dream move to La Masia. "I organised a meeting with the parents and explained to them that I was an ambitious coach that wanted to represent Barcelona," Rodolfo told the Official LFC Weekly Magazine. "They looked at me like I was crazy. "I said to achieve that, this team needed to be magnificent. With the help of parents in terms of extra training, we could achieve anything. Rather than doing two days, we would do four days while also arranging extra activities like swimming."

Within months Rodolfo's team was putting 10 goals a time past helpless opposition, and his youngsters had become the talk of the town. In January 1994 Barcelona scouts came to see for themselves just what all the fuss was about. "When I saw the scouts, I realised this was everything I had been working for," he said. "As always we were magnificent and by half-time we had a healthy lead. And at half-time a guy from Barcelona told me how impressed they were. "They told me they wanted my Cornella to play them in a trial match for everybody. So we went there a few days later and beat them 5-0. A little Cornella team beat Barcelona with Barcelona not really crossing the halfway line."

A display of power, poise and possession football ensured Rodolfo was offered the job at Barcelona and his talent shone through as he made a swift ascent through the youth coaching ranks. However, one factor would prove a constant hindrance to his progress there. "I spent one season coaching at the Barcelona school, one season with the U11s, two years with the U12s, four seasons in the U14s and three seasons with the U-16s and two with the U-17s," said Rodolfo. "But the truth is, unless you are a famous player, it is very difficult to progress as a coach beyond that level. "When I became the first person who wasn't a famous former player to break the line of the 16s and become U17s coach -- that was a big thing at the club."

During his time at Barcelona, Rodolfo coached some of the finest payers in world football. The backbone of his all-conquering U14 squad from 2000-01 comprised of Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi. "I was fortunate to coach many of the great players in world football we see now," admitted Rodolfo. "You can never say that a player is 100 percent going to be a professional footballer. You cannot raise a teenager's expectations. His belief has to come from within. "Ability always comes first when you are young, But later, mentality is just as important. Obviously, I knew the parents of all these players. I knew they were coming from good families in terms of structure. Good mentality, focus and discipline -- they had the right balance between studying and playing football."

He soon realised that he could not progress further than the U-17s with Barcelona and so opted for a change, making the switch to Greek side Iraklis along with former youth coach and colleague Angel Pedraza. However, it would prove to be a turbulent time for the former Barcelona pair. Pedraza was sacked quickly, and Rodolfo took up the reins as manager, only to part company with the club after a respectable run of results. But Barcelona came calling once more. A phone call this time, from Jose Ramon Alexanko, the man who lifted the European Cup as Barcelona captain when the club won the trophy for the first time under Johan Cruyff in 1992, confirmed the offer. "He wanted me to go back as an international scout and in the summer, take over at U-17 level again," said Rodolfo. "I was very pleased. I travelled a lot, eastern Europe, central Africa."

In the summer of 2009, Rodolfo received another phone call which would alter the path of his career and bring him to England. "Hello, I'm Rafa Benitez. Do you know who I am?" said the voice on the other end of the line. "I did not know him personally, only from the television," admitted Rodolfo. "He told me his vision for the academy and that Pep Segura would be involved. Would I be interested in coming? I did not know. Could I leave Barcelona for a second time? "He said I would be in charge of the U-18s, which was a promotion. I discussed it at length with my wife. I could not turn Liverpool down. I think I am the only person in the history of Barcelona to choose to leave the club twice."

Rodolfo's first task was to ensure the reserve teams at Liverpool were playing more regularly than just once every three weeks. "Since I have been here, there has been an improvement in many areas of youth development generally," he explained. "For example, two years ago the reserve team squad had just one game every three weeks. "It is very difficult to work day in, day out with the right focus and motivation -- the right mentality to improve every day -- if you don't have a game at the end of every week. "I have never been in this situation before, but if your next game is in three weeks' time, how can you prepare for that across three weeks? Thankfully, this has been corrected. The arrival of the NextGeneration Series has been very positive [because there are more games] and with the help of our secretaries at the academy, Danny Stanway and Zoe Ward, we worked very hard last summer to reschedule everything. "I told him the aim must be to have a game week in, week out for the benefit of continuity. He did a great job. We played 31 official games last season with the Reserves. This is very, very important."

One player who Rodolfo has nurtured during his time on Merseyside has been Raheem Sterling. The youngster joined from Queens Park Rangers in February 2010 with a reputation for pace and flair and the talented winger became the club's third youngest player of all time when he featured as a substitute in a 2-1 defeat to Wigan on March 24, 2012 -- aged 17. "There is a lot to be positive about," insisted Rodolfo. "We have a lot of very good players with different attributes. A lot of people talk about Raheem Sterling, but there are others of course -- players that have played under me and are now with the first team a lot more. "I have had the pleasure to be Raheem's only coach since he arrived here [from QPR], progressing through the ranks. I am pleased to see the player has made a lot of improvement in many areas. "Obviously talent is talent and he came with many, many interesting things; that's why he was signed by Liverpool Football Club. But we have been working hard with him on improving parts of the game where he could get better. It is important to get the right balance between the talent and everything else."

Another of Rodolfo's Liverpool proteges has been local lad Jon Flanagan, who came to the attention of most Kopites at the age of 18 when injuries meant he was handed a shock debut by Kenny Dalglish against big-spending Manchester City at Anfield. "Flanno is another type of player," said Rodolfo. "When I came to the club, with Pep Segura and Frank McParland, it is true that almost no-one expected anything interesting in relation to our first-team with Flanagan at that moment in time. "We tried to give him good advice. He took it on board and worked really hard. He has great determination and passion for the club. He's a winner in all the tackles. With the right focus, he has shown he can be a very good player in the first-team. This is a pleasure for me because the club brought me here to help with these kinds of things as I had done before. "So I am grateful and thankful of the efforts from the players like Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling too. They haven't already made it, but they are around the first-team and with hard work they can improve."

http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/rodolfo-borrells-love-for-football-and-coaching-has-taken-him-from-rubi-to-kirkby.html
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Rodolfo Borrell
      Reply #59: Jul 25, 2012 04:14:50 am
      He has a thread
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Re: Rodolfo Borrell
      Reply #60: Jul 25, 2012 01:04:54 pm
      Apparently I'm blind. Sorry!

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #61: Aug 17, 2012 10:15:18 pm
      Tony Barrett is saying that Pep Segura has quit Liverpool.

(This is the closest thread I could find).
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #62: Aug 17, 2012 10:25:25 pm
      Wow. I'm gutted.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #63: Aug 17, 2012 10:26:44 pm
      Yep, same. Disappointing to lose him. 

Word is that he was promised a promotion and never got one.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #64: Aug 17, 2012 10:39:54 pm
      Why Mike Marsh got promoted before him I have no idea. Segura is a much better coach and someone who is reading on the same line as BR. Let's hope Borrell doesn't follow him out of the door.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #65: Aug 17, 2012 10:43:49 pm
      Weird if true he was promised a promotion and it never happened as a similar thing happened with a player he recomended about a pay rise and he sharp left for Chelsea.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #66: Aug 18, 2012 12:13:10 am
      If true then it's very sad and can see Borrell chipping too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #67: Aug 18, 2012 12:15:41 am
      Why Mike Marsh got promoted before him I have no idea. Segura is a much better coach and someone who is reading on the same line as BR. Let's hope Borrell doesn't follow him out of the door.

How exactly do you know that Segura is a much better coach than Mike Marsh?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #68: Aug 28, 2012 05:12:15 pm
      LFC academy & Rodolfo Borrell update

Richard Buxton

There have been concerns about the uncertainty of Liverpool's youth academy structure following the departure of technical manager Pep Segura on the eve of the new season, some 12 days ago.

Segura's decision to quit the operations centre in Kirkby was motivated partially by being overlooked for a senior role within the club during the summer, which led to doubts over the future of reserve team manager Rodolfo Borrell, who last summer graduated from under-18's coach.

The former Barcelona youth coach spurned a return to La Masia to become John McMahon's successor for the Reds' second string and it had been suggested that he had wanted to make a second successful graduation to the first team ranks - a position Brendan Rodgers awarded to U16's coach Mike Marsh.

Borrell, however, remains happy with his current role overseeing many of the players he guided through the U18's and has not entertained the prospect of walking away from the club as both he and his family are incredibly settled in the Merseyside area.

http://sulia.com/channel/liverpool-fc/f/97fef5b7-bfdc-4fcc-bdf0-ad8fbae03337/?source=twitter

HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #69: Oct 21, 2012 04:49:40 pm
      Jack: My debt to Rodolfo
      21st Oct 2012 - Latest News

Jack Robinson has paid tribute to Rodolfo Borrell and the Academy staff for helping him get his big chance to impress in the first-team.

The left-back has made three starts for the first XI under Brendan Rodgers so far this season and is challenging the likes of Jose Enrique and Glen Johnson for the left-back slot.

The Warrington-born defender admits his game has improved working under Spanish coach Borrell.

Robinson told Liverpoolfc.com: "Rodolfo has been a big influence on my career. He expects high standards and that has really helped me develop my game.

"I have a lot of respect for all of the coaches at the Academy and they have got me to where I am at the moment.

"It's fantastic to be training with the lads I grew up from the U18 team now at Melwood with the first-team squad. The manager has given us our chance and he has shown a lot of faith in us."

The video you selected is only available to LFCTV Online members. You are now watching our Preview video, login or click here to sign up.

Robinson has also shown us his eye for goal this season with two goals already for Borrell's U21 side against Crystal Palace and Chelsea.

"It was a good feeling to score a couple of goals as I hadn't scored for a while so I was delighted," he added.

"I had some good banter in the dressing room after scoring those goals and it would be nice to get some more.

"You can always improve on everything every single day as a player so I want to work hard and improve on all aspects of my game.

"It really would be a dream come true for me to get a regular place in the first-team and I will work as hard as I can to try and achieve that and keep impressing in every training session."

Robinson was also quick to pay tribute to Academy striker Jerome Sinclair who, with a substitute appearance at West Bromwich Albion in the League Cup, took his mantle as being Liverpool's youngest ever player.

He added: "It is great to see more youngsters coming through and getting a chance and it was fantastic for Jerome to get his opportunity. He has got a lot of potential and hopefully he can do well in the coming seasons.

"It was a great honour for me to be the previous youngest ever player for Liverpool FC and maybe it didn't last for as long as I wanted but I don't mind as I am really happy for Jerome. It just shows what great work is going on at the Academy."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/jack-my-debt-to-rodolfo
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #70: Sep 09, 2013 01:58:42 pm
      Rodolfo: My pride at U13s' Japan visit
      9th Sep 2013 - Latest News

Last week, Liverpool's U13s squad embarked on a trip to the other side of the world to take part in a tournament in Japan – and in this week's Academy column, Rodolfo Borrell reflects on a truly memorable trip.

rodolfo borrell website
      One of the most instantly-recognisable faces at the club's Kirkby complex, Rodolfo has been at the heart of Liverpool's youth development since 2009.

And in his first column of the new season, the Spaniard talks enthusiastically about the visit to Tokyo and how he'll be working hard to secure similar trips in the future...

Last week we took up the fantastic opportunity to attend a tournament in Japan with our U13s - and as soon as this competition came to my attention, I knew that it was going to be a great opportunity for the lads.

The squad we took was a mixture of U12 and U13 players, and our primary aim was for them to experience other cultures as well as face different styles of football.

The tournament was organised after Barcelona signed a Japanese U13 player. This was a massive event in Japan. So they decided to create a tournament, the very first edition, where all the best U13 sides that belong to Premiership clubs in the country, plus some teams from around the world, went head-to-head.

The competition was called 1st World Challenge, and I first heard about it when Barcelona's director of football contacted me and asked if we would be interested in taking part in the tournament. Very quickly, alongside academy director Frank McParland, we decided that it was something we had to do.

Put simply, our boys were fantastic over there. I don't say things that I don't feel, and I can honestly tell you that this trip and the way the young lads were was very impressive.

We were playing under really difficult conditions, with temperatures of 30 degrees most of the time. Our lads were also playing in 60-70 per cent humidity during each of the games, which makes it extremely difficult to perform, especially for young boys coming over from England.

The Japanese, as well as the Spanish and other teams, were used to the heat, but for our boys it was an incredible effort.

We had no problems at all. The first two days, a couple of lads were a little bit homesick, but we managed to sort that out by getting them on the phone and getting them to call their parents constantly.

Jan Pizzey, the academy secretary, and Ian Barrigan, head of local recruitment, were a huge help in that respect too. Each of the lads conducted themselves very well - and they supported each other.

It was a huge experience, not only from the football point of view, but from a personal point of view for them at such a young age. When I was an U13 player, it would have been almost impossible to go out and play in a tournament like this in Japan.

In the past, when I was at FC Barcelona, the club and I tried to have all the teams travel constantly, all around the world, and this is one of the targets that I have right now. I've got the backing of Frank McParland as academy director, from the assistant academy manager Phil Roscoe and most importantly from the manager Brendan Rodgers.

All of these people look at travelling to new countries to play football as a positive thing and I'm working really hard to get a lot more of these sorts of trips in place, especially for our younger age groups.

Why? Because usually the U21s and U18s get a lot more experience of this type of travel, but for the young ones, I think it's something they can benefit from too - and their development is pushed forward a lot by these type of events.

The main coach for the U13s was unable to join us on the trip to Japan, so Dave Rowe came along as he is the assistant coach for the U13s. Stephen Torpey also came with us. He's a good young coach, who is eager to improve and currently works with the U11s. Stephen knew all the lads because some of them were coming through last season with the U11s.

Tokyo and the surrounding areas have about 27 million people, so you can imagine how big the place is. It meant that we had more than an hour-and-a-half's travel to the event from our hotel. This meant at least three hours a day on a coach going back and forth.

Also, our games were held very early in the morning, and because there was no time to come back after the first match, we had to wait at the event for quite some time before we played the second game of the day. So it meant that, in total, we were out for about 10 hours each day - two hours playing and eight hours travelling and waiting.

This means you need to know how to manage the lads, entertain them and look after them. I'll be honest, it was exhausting! But everything was for the benefit of our players and so it was well worth it.

On the pitch, I was delighted with the football we played. I wasn't expecting such a high level, considering the weather and everything else I have spoken about already. The boys performed twice a day, four days in a row and played a total of eight games.

They went all the way through to the final, wining all seven matches on the way. But the most important thing was not the winning; it was seeing how they were beating their opponents, by playing the way we want them to.

Our young lads built their play from the back, keeping their discipline, focus and consistency at the same time. They were keeping the ball, and moving it the way we want them to.

If you do all that and win the games, like we did, then fantastic. But if not, the most important thing is the performance - and they did fantastically well.

In the final we lost to Barcelona. It was nice for me to see some old friends, but I've been here for four years and I belong to Liverpool Football Club. I'm not too fussed about playing against my old side, or against the likes of Real Madrid - I just try to defend the interests of our football club.

One of the main targets with these trips is for the lads to realise about the other cultures that exist around the world, where the mentality and the way of living is completely different to ours.

We arrived in Tokyo, very exhausted after more than 20 hours travelling, and we decided that we were going to go and visit a few places, like Shibuya, as we wanted the lads to keep awake until the night for them and ourselves to adapt as soon as possible to the new schedule and the eight hour difference.

On the second day, after the official opening presentation, we asked the organisers if we could see something of Japan - and so we went to the Imperial Palace. It's only possible to visit the gardens there, because the Imperial Family are living there. Later on we visited Senso-Ji, one of the most famous temples in Japan, which the lads also clearly enjoyed very much.

Overall, it was a superb trip. In the beginning, you have to take many things into account - the lads' ages, the distance and the staff too.

Ian Barrigan, who is the local scout at our Academy, alongside Jan Pizzey, the Academy secretary, know a lot of the lads' families and they coordinated everything brilliantly with them in terms of schedules ,information and many other things. Neil Davies also joined the trip as a physio-therapist and he made a great contribution to the trip.

Then it was important for us to select people who were professional and who had experience to deal with such a young age group. At the end of the tournament, I can look back and say that everything was fantastic. We've been receiving many emails from the families of our players, who have spoken about the experience their children enjoyed.

We also received an email from the organisers congratulating us for the way the lads behaved and performed during the tournament.

Obviously, this has encouraged me to look for a lot more of these events, because I think it's vital from many different points of view - from development as a player, as a team and as a human being too.

link

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #71: Sep 09, 2013 06:51:02 pm
      Rodolfo: My pride at U13s' Japan visit
      9th Sep 2013 - Latest News

Last week, Liverpool's U13s squad embarked on a trip to the other side of the world to take part in a tournament in Japan – and in this week's Academy column, Rodolfo Borrell reflects on a truly memorable trip.

rodolfo borrell website
      One of the most instantly-recognisable faces at the club's Kirkby complex, Rodolfo has been at the heart of Liverpool's youth development since 2009.

And in his first column of the new season, the Spaniard talks enthusiastically about the visit to Tokyo and how he'll be working hard to secure similar trips in the future...

Last week we took up the fantastic opportunity to attend a tournament in Japan with our U13s - and as soon as this competition came to my attention, I knew that it was going to be a great opportunity for the lads.

The squad we took was a mixture of U12 and U13 players, and our primary aim was for them to experience other cultures as well as face different styles of football.

The tournament was organised after Barcelona signed a Japanese U13 player. This was a massive event in Japan. So they decided to create a tournament, the very first edition, where all the best U13 sides that belong to Premiership clubs in the country, plus some teams from around the world, went head-to-head.

The competition was called 1st World Challenge, and I first heard about it when Barcelona's director of football contacted me and asked if we would be interested in taking part in the tournament. Very quickly, alongside academy director Frank McParland, we decided that it was something we had to do.

Put simply, our boys were fantastic over there. I don't say things that I don't feel, and I can honestly tell you that this trip and the way the young lads were was very impressive.

We were playing under really difficult conditions, with temperatures of 30 degrees most of the time. Our lads were also playing in 60-70 per cent humidity during each of the games, which makes it extremely difficult to perform, especially for young boys coming over from England.

The Japanese, as well as the Spanish and other teams, were used to the heat, but for our boys it was an incredible effort.

We had no problems at all. The first two days, a couple of lads were a little bit homesick, but we managed to sort that out by getting them on the phone and getting them to call their parents constantly.

Jan Pizzey, the academy secretary, and Ian Barrigan, head of local recruitment, were a huge help in that respect too. Each of the lads conducted themselves very well - and they supported each other.

It was a huge experience, not only from the football point of view, but from a personal point of view for them at such a young age. When I was an U13 player, it would have been almost impossible to go out and play in a tournament like this in Japan.

In the past, when I was at FC Barcelona, the club and I tried to have all the teams travel constantly, all around the world, and this is one of the targets that I have right now. I've got the backing of Frank McParland as academy director, from the assistant academy manager Phil Roscoe and most importantly from the manager Brendan Rodgers.

All of these people look at travelling to new countries to play football as a positive thing and I'm working really hard to get a lot more of these sorts of trips in place, especially for our younger age groups.

Why? Because usually the U21s and U18s get a lot more experience of this type of travel, but for the young ones, I think it's something they can benefit from too - and their development is pushed forward a lot by these type of events.

The main coach for the U13s was unable to join us on the trip to Japan, so Dave Rowe came along as he is the assistant coach for the U13s. Stephen Torpey also came with us. He's a good young coach, who is eager to improve and currently works with the U11s. Stephen knew all the lads because some of them were coming through last season with the U11s.

Tokyo and the surrounding areas have about 27 million people, so you can imagine how big the place is. It meant that we had more than an hour-and-a-half's travel to the event from our hotel. This meant at least three hours a day on a coach going back and forth.

Also, our games were held very early in the morning, and because there was no time to come back after the first match, we had to wait at the event for quite some time before we played the second game of the day. So it meant that, in total, we were out for about 10 hours each day - two hours playing and eight hours travelling and waiting.

This means you need to know how to manage the lads, entertain them and look after them. I'll be honest, it was exhausting! But everything was for the benefit of our players and so it was well worth it.

On the pitch, I was delighted with the football we played. I wasn't expecting such a high level, considering the weather and everything else I have spoken about already. The boys performed twice a day, four days in a row and played a total of eight games.

They went all the way through to the final, wining all seven matches on the way. But the most important thing was not the winning; it was seeing how they were beating their opponents, by playing the way we want them to.

Our young lads built their play from the back, keeping their discipline, focus and consistency at the same time. They were keeping the ball, and moving it the way we want them to.

If you do all that and win the games, like we did, then fantastic. But if not, the most important thing is the performance - and they did fantastically well.

In the final we lost to Barcelona. It was nice for me to see some old friends, but I've been here for four years and I belong to Liverpool Football Club. I'm not too fussed about playing against my old side, or against the likes of Real Madrid - I just try to defend the interests of our football club.

One of the main targets with these trips is for the lads to realise about the other cultures that exist around the world, where the mentality and the way of living is completely different to ours.

We arrived in Tokyo, very exhausted after more than 20 hours travelling, and we decided that we were going to go and visit a few places, like Shibuya, as we wanted the lads to keep awake until the night for them and ourselves to adapt as soon as possible to the new schedule and the eight hour difference.

On the second day, after the official opening presentation, we asked the organisers if we could see something of Japan - and so we went to the Imperial Palace. It's only possible to visit the gardens there, because the Imperial Family are living there. Later on we visited Senso-Ji, one of the most famous temples in Japan, which the lads also clearly enjoyed very much.

Overall, it was a superb trip. In the beginning, you have to take many things into account - the lads' ages, the distance and the staff too.

Ian Barrigan, who is the local scout at our Academy, alongside Jan Pizzey, the Academy secretary, know a lot of the lads' families and they coordinated everything brilliantly with them in terms of schedules ,information and many other things. Neil Davies also joined the trip as a physio-therapist and he made a great contribution to the trip.

Then it was important for us to select people who were professional and who had experience to deal with such a young age group. At the end of the tournament, I can look back and say that everything was fantastic. We've been receiving many emails from the families of our players, who have spoken about the experience their children enjoyed.

We also received an email from the organisers congratulating us for the way the lads behaved and performed during the tournament.

Obviously, this has encouraged me to look for a lot more of these events, because I think it's vital from many different points of view - from development as a player, as a team and as a human being too.

link

Fantastic to see that the methods of Rodgers are getting drilled into the kids. This can only be beneficial for the future.

Quick Reply