Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 160526 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Player Thread
      Reply #1035: May 11, 2013 03:17:23 pm
      I predicted this boy would be a top top player. Then I had some doubts about his mentallity but he proved me wrong there when I heard he asked the boss to use him in a holding role for the 21s to help develop his game.

If this boy decides he wants to be as good as he can be we have one serious player.

However where he actually fits in? Centre mid? Holding mid? Attacking mid? Play as an old school 10?

I'm still not 100% convinced but he deserves a chance.. As you say his want to drop for games I fully admire.

I'd give him both games with Stevie out and see how he goes.

Best position for me would be getting forward from a deep role, more similar to a Lampard style to a Gerrard
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1036: May 11, 2013 06:00:04 pm
      I predicted this boy would be a top top player. Then I had some doubts about his mentallity but he proved me wrong there when I heard he asked the boss to use him in a holding role for the 21s to help develop his game.

If this boy decides he wants to be as good as he can be we have one serious player.

However where he actually fits in? Centre mid? Holding mid? Attacking mid? Play as an old school 10?

I really like Jonjo.  He had some really good games at the tail end of the 2010-2011 season and I thought he was going to kick on and really have some good performances.  Then Kenny brought in Henderson inexplicably and sent Jonjo on loan.  But then he had some good performances when he came back--Blackburn away last season he was absolutely brilliant.

Obviously Rodgers thought he was great as well, he was basically worshiping him in that documentary thing they did at the beginning of the season. 

I don't think Jonjo's got a future as holding mid.  He's not mobile enough, number one, number two he has not shown that he can keep his cool in games, so putting him in a position where he needs to be tackling all the time is a red-card waiting to happen.

More than that, he has shown he's at his best when he's playing as a #10 but a bit deeper, orchestrating the attack, but he can also play long ball and play some of those Gerrard type diagonal passes.  But he's not the deep lying playmaker we'd all want him to be because he doesn't have the defensive prowess to step back and cover the DM.

I don't know what Rodgers should do with him.  He obviously had a lot of faith in him towards the beginning of the season but then those red cards made him lose his chance and Henderson took over and since then Jonjo seems not to be able to get much of a look in anymore.  Henderson's definitely the more athletic of the two but IMO Jonjo is about 10x the player Henderson is, he's got technique, he's always looking to go forward, he can pick out a pass, and he's got bollocks which Henderson doesn't.

The problem is that Jonjo is a walking red card, and until he gets that under control he's never going to get a chance.  By that time it might be too late for him.  Sad really because he has a lot of talent.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1037: May 12, 2013 10:07:42 am
      I'm still not 100% convinced but he deserves a chance..

I'm with you on this P_d; the lad's still young.

I would certainly wait on him and give him a chance to fulfil his potential. Some lads take longer to mature and their zenith. And, to be honest, there's no real point in having a policy based on signing young, future, stars if you don't give them time to grow. In fact only a F***ing moron would do otherwise.

It's a two-way street tho'; sometimes kids want 'it all' now and won't wait their time. From what I can see; Jonjo ain't one of those. He'll knuckle down and mature into a good 'un (in my opinion) - I'll wait in hope.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1038: May 12, 2013 10:50:50 am
      I've always had a soft spot for Jonjo and feel he has got it in him to be a fantastic player but this season he hasn't progressed as I thought he would.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #1039: May 20, 2013 08:48:47 am
      im a bit gutted he never got into the 16 yesterday.  I hope the manager doesnt sell him. I think it is a bad mistake  but the manager just doesnt seem to rate him at all wheras I think he has potential to be a great player for us. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1040: May 20, 2013 12:22:58 pm
      I wouldn't be against a loan deal to a Premier league team next year especially if we're looking to strengthen the midfield this summer
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #1041: May 20, 2013 03:35:33 pm
      I'd agree with that as long as its a loan and not a sale. I think he will prove his capabilities given a good run in the side and if he does well then it would be insane to sell him.  Would still rather he gets a chance here next season though.
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2013 08:28:30 pm by RedPuppy »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1042: May 21, 2013 12:25:30 am
      If we loan him next season I don't see him coming back.

I've been a big fan of Jonjo over his time here so this season has been very disappointing for me and for the first time I'm questioning if he really is good enough.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #1043: May 21, 2013 09:44:13 am
      This season Jonjo really should of pushed on and been making a case for a regular role in the midfield, but he's gone backwards IMO.

Problem with him is, his decision making is absolutely awful. I know he's young, but some of it is just basic, I remember he came on this season (can't remember who against) and was booked within a minute for a ridiculous lunge.

He's a very erratic player, on his day he is great, but it's 1 in 10 and that's why Henderson is getting games ahead of him because you know you're going to get a 6/10 performance from Henderson and possibly more, but Jonjo you can't even be sure he'll still be on the pitch at half time.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1044: May 21, 2013 02:05:44 pm
      I think a lot of people have had their impression of Jonjo impacted by the second half of the season. He was pretty crap in the second half, no question about it, but he had a pretty decent first half, don't forget. He was excellent against City at home, and bossed the Europa League -- and while that isn't always the greatest quality opponent, we drew the toughest group with three other good teams.

So for me, I think Shelvey will be fine. He needs to work the most on the mental side of his game, especially his decision making and his erratic tackling. If he can sort that out, he can become a good one to have in the squad.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1045: May 21, 2013 03:36:22 pm
      He needs to work the most on the mental side of his game, especially his decision making and his erratic tackling. If he can sort that out, he can become a good one to have in the squad.

Basically get a brain!:D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1046: May 21, 2013 03:41:21 pm

;D Well, just a football brain. Expecting a footballer to have any kind of normal person intelligence is a step too far for many of them!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1047: May 21, 2013 06:26:22 pm
      ;D Well, just a football brain. Expecting a footballer to have any kind of normal person intelligence is a step too far for many of them!

Not Clarke Carlisle, surprised you haven't heard it already but apparently he is the smartest footballer around.

;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1048: May 21, 2013 06:27:44 pm
      Not Clarke Carlisle, surprised you haven't heard it already but apparently he is the smartest footballer around.

;)

And possibly the most boring.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #1049: May 21, 2013 06:38:15 pm

Plus one of the biggest tw*ts around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1050: May 21, 2013 06:39:03 pm
      Plus one of the biggest tw*ts around.

Indeed.

In good company with Gordan Taylor though.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1051: May 21, 2013 06:41:28 pm

Are you saying he looks like a scarecrow and is a friend of Dorothy?
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1052: May 22, 2013 09:11:53 am
      Are you saying he looks like a scarecrow and is a friend of Dorothy?

Yes, yes I am! ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1053: May 22, 2013 02:05:18 pm

I know you said "many", but any excuse.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1054: May 29, 2013 11:33:39 am
      Some good comments from Jonjo but then others which imply he hasn't learned from the advice he's being given.

Jonjo: Why I learned a lot in 2012-13
      29th May 2013 - Latest News

Jonjo Shelvey has explained why the 2012-13 campaign was the most defining of his career to date and believes working under Brendan Rodgers has made him a better player.

Liverpool's No.33 made more first-team appearances than ever before - 32 - scored some memorable goals in Europe and made his England debut.

"I think this has been one of the most important [seasons] in my career so far," Shelvey told Liverpoolfc.com.

"The last three months has been a bit stop-start for me. The first part of the season I was enjoying my football but the last three months I haven't been because I haven't had as much game time as I would have liked.

"I suppose looking back I have played a few games in the first team, had some crazy moments and good moments. I would say it has been a good season for me personally.

"I made my England debut as well and I have learnt a new way of playing football with the new manager coming in. The defensive side of your game helps your attacking side so I feel I have learned that.

"It's nice to have a manager like Brendan who plays the young lads and has trust in you to go out and prove yourself."

Shelvey netted four goals for the Reds during their Europa League run, including a memorable header at Anfield against Udinese - and it is his European form which has given the midfielder most satisfaction.

Explaining his best moment of 2012-13, Shelvey added: "Probably the two goals I scored against Young Boys.

"Coming off the bench to get the two goals was good but then the following Saturday I was sent off against Manchester United so it was a bit of a rollercoaster week.

"I would have liked to have scored more goals, to be honest. I had some good chances to get more but there's only Hendo and Stevie who have got more goals from midfield than me, so that's good."

Regarding his hopes for next season and the areas of his game he feels he can improve on, Shelvey insists he is eager to get the chance to become a regular in the first XI at Anfield.

He added: "I think sometimes I've got to be calm and cool it down on the pitch because I'm quite aggressive, but then again if I take that out of my game then I wouldn't be the same player.

"You can have people telling you 'You can't do that and can't do this', but they are not on the pitch so they don't know what it feels like to be on the pitch.

"I just need to get a run in the team and play 10 games on the spin when I don't come out of the team."

On Liverpool's hopes in 2013-14, Shelvey believes there is no reason why the Reds can't make a concerted fight for a top-four finish and return to the Champions League.

He said: "I think progress has been made. We had a few draws last season and if we could have turned them into wins we would have been looking at a third- or fourth-place finish, but I think next season that will happen.

"This has been a rebuilding season with a new manager coming in and getting his style across, and I think the players are picking up more and more each day.

"I think the manager will hopefully bring us a couple more players in that will get us some more goals and obviously we need to replace Carra.

"You can't replace the man but if he brings in a few more players and gets us more attacking style then I think we can finish in the top four."
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #1055: May 29, 2013 01:33:34 pm
      Some good comments from Jonjo but then others which imply he hasn't learned from the advice he's being given.

Jonjo: Why I learned a lot in 2012-13
      29th May 2013 - Latest News

Jonjo Shelvey has explained why the 2012-13 campaign was the most defining of his career to date and believes working under Brendan Rodgers has made him a better player.

Liverpool's No.33 made more first-team appearances than ever before - 32 - scored some memorable goals in Europe and made his England debut.

"I think this has been one of the most important [seasons] in my career so far," Shelvey told Liverpoolfc.com.

"The last three months has been a bit stop-start for me. The first part of the season I was enjoying my football but the last three months I haven't been because I haven't had as much game time as I would have liked.

"I suppose looking back I have played a few games in the first team, had some crazy moments and good moments. I would say it has been a good season for me personally.

"I made my England debut as well and I have learnt a new way of playing football with the new manager coming in. The defensive side of your game helps your attacking side so I feel I have learned that.

"It's nice to have a manager like Brendan who plays the young lads and has trust in you to go out and prove yourself."

Shelvey netted four goals for the Reds during their Europa League run, including a memorable header at Anfield against Udinese - and it is his European form which has given the midfielder most satisfaction.

Explaining his best moment of 2012-13, Shelvey added: "Probably the two goals I scored against Young Boys.

"Coming off the bench to get the two goals was good but then the following Saturday I was sent off against Manchester United so it was a bit of a rollercoaster week.

"I would have liked to have scored more goals, to be honest. I had some good chances to get more but there's only Hendo and Stevie who have got more goals from midfield than me, so that's good."

Regarding his hopes for next season and the areas of his game he feels he can improve on, Shelvey insists he is eager to get the chance to become a regular in the first XI at Anfield.

He added: "I think sometimes I've got to be calm and cool it down on the pitch because I'm quite aggressive, but then again if I take that out of my game then I wouldn't be the same player.

"You can have people telling you 'You can't do that and can't do this', but they are not on the pitch so they don't know what it feels like to be on the pitch.

"I just need to get a run in the team and play 10 games on the spin when I don't come out of the team."

On Liverpool's hopes in 2013-14, Shelvey believes there is no reason why the Reds can't make a concerted fight for a top-four finish and return to the Champions League.

He said: "I think progress has been made. We had a few draws last season and if we could have turned them into wins we would have been looking at a third- or fourth-place finish, but I think next season that will happen.

"This has been a rebuilding season with a new manager coming in and getting his style across, and I think the players are picking up more and more each day.

"I think the manager will hopefully bring us a couple more players in that will get us some more goals and obviously we need to replace Carra.

"You can't replace the man but if he brings in a few more players and gets us more attacking style then I think we can finish in the top four."

In what sense do you mean he may not have learnt from previous advice?

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I am not all that convinced my Jonjo. I think he believes he is better than he is, which can sometimes be a good thing, making him full of confidence. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he is arrogant, just self assured. Maybe I am being over critical but that's the impression I get and I believe it is affecting his development.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1056: May 29, 2013 01:37:43 pm
      In what sense do you mean he may not have learnt from previous advice?

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I am not all that convinced my Jonjo. I think he believes he is better than he is, which can sometimes be a good thing, making him full of confidence. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he is arrogant, just self assured. Maybe I am being over critical but that's the impression I get and I believe it is affecting his development.

This bit mate, especially the last sentence.

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #1057: May 29, 2013 01:41:39 pm
      This bit mate, especially the last sentence.

I see your point now. I understand what you are getting at. However, I wouldn't believe that these comments would be all that unfamiliar with someone like Gerrard. It is how he exercises his aggressiveness that he needs to learn. I always think back to Gerrard in his early years and when he got sent off against Everton. Don't get me wrong, he is still a hard player but I believe from that day on, he recognised that he needed to assert that anger in a different manner. I believe this is what Jonjo is getting at.

Quick Reply