Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 159564 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Player Thread
      Reply #1058: May 29, 2013 01:45:11 pm
      I see your point now. I understand what you are getting at. However, I wouldn't believe that these comments would be all that unfamiliar with someone like Gerrard. It is how he exercises his aggressiveness that he needs to learn. I always think back to Gerrard in his early years and when he got sent off against Everton. Don't get me wrong, he is still a hard player but I believe from that day on, he recognised that he needed to assert that anger in a different manner. I believe this is what Jonjo is getting at.

I agree he needs to look to Stevie to help him control his aggression but to question the coaches advice and say they don't know what it's like on the pitch is a bit arrogant, is what I meant mate.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1059: May 29, 2013 01:46:52 pm
      I agree he needs to look to Stevie to help him control his aggression but to question the coaches advice and say they don't know what it's like on the pitch is a bit arrogant, is what I meant mate.

Maybe I am being too optimistic but I believe he is getting back at those in the press, especially after the Fergie parade criticised him after the United sending off, rather than his own coaches.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1060: May 29, 2013 01:51:50 pm
      Maybe I am being too optimistic but I believe he is getting back at those in the press, especially after the Fergie parade criticised him after the United sending off, rather than his own coaches.

If so then yeah fine with that mate. 

I think he's had a difficult season where he started off quite well, scoring goals and starting a few games then he's gone off a bit.  He got a bit confused when he dropped down to U21's, trying out different positions then didn't play as well when he came back into the 1st team.

He's still young, still got a lot to learn and hopefully he'll push on over the next couple of seasons.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #1061: May 29, 2013 01:57:45 pm
      If so then yeah fine with that mate. 

I think he's had a difficult season where he started off quite well, scoring goals and starting a few games then he's gone off a bit.  He got a bit confused when he dropped down to U21's, trying out different positions then didn't play as well when he came back into the 1st team.

He's still young, still got a lot to learn and hopefully he'll push on over the next couple of seasons.

That's the thing that is very easy to forget, he is still very young. Feels like he is older as he has been round for years...and his lovely shiny head.

;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1062: May 29, 2013 02:04:57 pm
      I think it may just be slight frustration.

Whenever he's featured for the reserves he has been given a deeper role to play.
      Makes sense to add some discipline to his game.

That said I'd much rather see him get a season long long somewhere like QPR.
      I'd like to see him given time in a 10 role.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1063: May 29, 2013 02:24:36 pm
      That's the thing that is very easy to forget, he is still very young. Feels like he is older as he has been round for years...and his lovely shiny head.

;D

As always we expect a lot from our young players as soon as they make their debut.  He needs time to develop at his pace, with a kick up the arse when necessary.

I think it may just be slight frustration.

Whenever he's featured for the reserves he has been given a deeper role to play.
      Makes sense to add some discipline to his game.

That said I'd much rather see him get a season long long somewhere like QPR.
      I'd like to see him given time in a 10 role.

Not sure I'd agree on the QPR bit, would prefer him being coached by someone better than Harry.  Palace would be a good shout though, he did well under Holloway at Blackpool.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1064: May 29, 2013 02:40:59 pm
      Needs loaning out again in my opinion and in the same breath feel that could be the end of him with us. He's at that awkward stage of not being good enough and not showing enough potential to persist with so you either loan him out and hope that he develops further while giving a chance to someone with more promise (Hendo) or you sell.

If we keep him as a squad player I don't see him figuring too frequently outside of the 'worthless' cups because he had plenty of chances last season and if I'm honest regressed near the end of it.

Had high hopes for Shelvey a few years ago, when he was constantly played on the right wing I didn't worry about his form, but when he's played through the middle he hasn't shown enough in either attacking or defending. His self belief borders on arrogance in that interview and I do doubt that he'll ever make the grade for us now that we're likely to get another midfielder to take his place and many who'll be seen way ahead of him.

He had a massive opportunity last season and feel only in a few years his 'good season' will be seen differently in his mind, because he didn't make the break through he should have.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1065: May 29, 2013 03:03:39 pm
      As always we expect a lot from our young players as soon as they make their debut.  He needs time to develop at his pace, with a kick up the arse when necessary.

Not sure I'd agree on the QPR bit, would prefer him being coached by someone better than Harry.  Palace would be a good shout though, he did well under Holloway at Blackpool.

Ugh.
      I always do that.
      Meant Crystal Palace.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1066: May 29, 2013 03:14:02 pm
      Ugh.
      I always do that.
      Meant Crystal Palace.

I did wonder mate  ;D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1067: May 29, 2013 04:09:45 pm
      He is good enough for us. Bring him off the bench next season. Rodgers has to use the bench more surely. No point bringing these kids in if they don't play.
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #1068: May 29, 2013 07:14:29 pm
      Reading some of the comments on here and other lfc forums, podcasts like the anfield wrap and sitting in the main stand last season I know that a lot of Liverpool fans dont rate Shelvey at all and compare him unfavourably to Gerrard.   That in itself is completely unfair in my opinion because Gerrard is one of our greatest ever players.  But for what its worth I think Jonjo has the ability to be a terrific midfielder with loads of goals in him.   I also think he has a hell of a shot on him and his passing and vision are superb but his mistakes are often comically bad and so that tends to get remembered more.

He doesnt always finish clinically but this is something he will improve upon and the reality is he is often at the centre of things and his movement gets himself into goalscoring situations.  When I think back to Chelsea at home he got criticised for missing a couple of chances late on but his energy and dynamism when he came on in that game was similar to the effect that Sturridge had.  I found the criticism really harsh after that match.   We need those kinds of players who carry a real goal threat from midfield.   And he is tall and carries a bit of brawn which in our largely diminutive midfield shouldnt be overlooked.    Under no circumstances should he be sold as the rumours suggest might happen.   If he isnt going to get a run of games as he wishes then he needs to go out on loan to a premiership club and come back in a year stronger,  more determined and better.  But for what its worth I think he deserves a run next season in our team.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #1069: Jun 06, 2013 02:29:14 pm
      Had a poor game for the U-21s yesterday. Still has issues with composure when in great areas. Needs to really improve. His passes also leave much to be desired. Will keep watching him as the tournamant progresses
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1070: Jun 06, 2013 06:07:08 pm
      Dont think the lad will ever be good enough imo ,seamed to have the same sulking face when he was taken off last night , not a good look.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1071: Jun 06, 2013 07:51:48 pm
      Needs a season on loan playing regularly. Maybe at somewhere like Palace or Hull
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1072: Jun 06, 2013 07:59:56 pm
      Shelvey changed the game when coming on as a sub against some very good European teams. Only reason he doesn't merit  a starting place is because Gerrard is having a long career and Liverpool brought Allen.  Rather have used Shelvey instead of buying Allen.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #1073: Jun 06, 2013 08:29:53 pm
      I mentioned a concern about his level of self-confidence before and I still have that concern. Young players need to believe in themselves, don't get me wrong. However, I get the impression that he feels he is one of the best around. I haven't seen what happened when he came off for the U21s last night but I heard he pulled a bit of strop.

I like him but he just needs to go out on loan again and gain some worthwhile experience. I wouldn't be against him going back to Blackpool. He has the talent, just needs to come down a peg or two.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1074: Jun 06, 2013 08:42:54 pm
      Rather have used Shelvey instead of buying Allen.

Don't agree at all. At least we can judge Allen to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes. I wince every time Jonjo goes in for a tackle.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1075: Jun 06, 2013 10:47:33 pm
      sub against some very good European teams. Only reason he doesn't merit  a starting place is because Gerrard is having a long career and Liverpool brought Allen.  Rather have used Shelvey

This!

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1076: Jun 06, 2013 10:55:39 pm
      I've always liked the lad but in truth, he probably isn't quite going to reach the level needed to be in a side playing at the top end of the table. I think he'll have a good career as a good player in and around the mid-table premiership level. I like his confidence, he's got a nive range of passing, he sees things and he's got the ability and power to beat a player drive with the ball and he strikes it well. On the downside, I don't think he looks after the ball well enough to be a regular in a BR team and i don't think he offers enough defensively. He's a big strong lad but he is a very clumsy tackler and with that weird running style of his (have never seen move quite like it) he isn't particularly mobile.

A season loan is a pretty good shout but it wouldn't surprise me to see him moved on for £6-8 million if anyone come calling.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1077: Jun 07, 2013 12:46:02 pm
      Shelvey changed the game when coming on as a sub against some very good European teams.

Hahahahaha! I wouldn't call that Swiss team a very good European team!

Can't think of any other games he came on as a sub in the Europa League and had a massive impact.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1078: Jun 07, 2013 01:49:25 pm
      How can you saw you'd rather Shevley over Allen when they don't even play the same position?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1079: Jun 07, 2013 02:49:06 pm
      How can you saw you'd rather Shevley over Allen when they don't even play the same position?

I know I'd rather Allen in Allen's position, and Allen in Shelvey's position, if I had to choose between the two.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #1080: Jun 07, 2013 05:08:11 pm
      I know I'd rather Allen in Allen's position, and Allen in Shelvey's position, if I had to choose between the two.

Personally I would rather Allen be left back in the main stand , but each to their own ;)

Quick Reply