Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W13 D6 L8

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 111980 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,200 posts | 631 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)
      Reply #1140: Aug 26, 2015 02:44:30 pm
      Jonjo has moments of brilliance and moments of brainlessness. Until he can find a level of consistency, Swansea is a great club for him to play at.

Don't forget, too, that Allen was very good at Swansea, lest anyone forgets.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,562 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1141: Aug 30, 2015 11:43:00 pm
      Always had a soft spot for Jonjo and sad to see him go.

Can see him doing really well at Swansea.

Still have that soft spot.

I seen the first 60 minutes if the mancs game today and he was excellent again.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,201 posts | 621 
      Reply #1142: Nov 21, 2015 04:22:01 pm
      He's really grown into a very good player for Swansea. He still has his wtf moments, but he has progressed really well in my opinion. I'd honestly love him back here if he wanted to return.... I've always had a soft spot for him since he told Fergie to f**k off as he left the field :)

YNWA Jonjo

Edit:  I'd prefer him in CM over Allen or Milner....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,174 posts | 2777 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1143: Nov 21, 2015 08:20:06 pm
      He's really grown into a very good player for Swansea. He still has his wtf moments, but he has progressed really well in my opinion. I'd honestly love him back here if he wanted to return.... I've always had a soft spot for him since he told Fergie to f**k off as he left the field :)

YNWA Jonjo

Edit:  I'd prefer him in CM over Allen or Milner....

Agreed, he does have his silly moments but he does possess quality, that's undeniable.
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,248 posts | 1822 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1144: Jan 12, 2016 05:43:58 pm
      Liverpool are on the verge of pocketing £3.6m when Jonjo Shelvey completes his £12m move to Newcastle from Swansea.

When we sold the England international to the Welsh club in 2013, we inserted a 30% sell-on clause into the transfer deal, which now translates as £3.6m as Swansea are offloading the 23-year-old for a cool £12m
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,935 posts | 2209 
      Reply #1145: Jan 12, 2016 05:57:37 pm
      Liverpool are on the verge of pocketing £3.6m when Jonjo Shelvey completes his £12m move to Newcastle from Swansea.

When we sold the England international to the Welsh club in 2013, we inserted a 30% sell-on clause into the transfer deal, which now translates as £3.6m as Swansea are offloading the 23-year-old for a cool £12m

Cool!  Well done to whoever negotiated that into his sale.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,200 posts | 631 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1146: Jan 12, 2016 06:41:44 pm

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1147: Jan 12, 2016 07:32:11 pm
      What a strange move, why would any player with hopes of becoming a top player opt for Newcastle?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,162 posts | 1351 
      Reply #1148: Jan 12, 2016 07:35:22 pm
      What a strange move, why would any player with hopes of becoming a top player opt for Newcastle?

You could say the same about staying at Swansea though to be fair. If nobody else is after him then it's not as though he had much choice.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      Reply #1149: Jan 12, 2016 07:44:23 pm
      You could say the same about staying at Swansea though to be fair. If nobody else is after him then it's not as though he had much choice.

Not really, Swansea are having a bad season but on the whole they are a lot better than Newcastle. If Swansea had a goal scorer they wouldn't be in the mess they are in.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #1150: Jan 12, 2016 07:54:47 pm

It's all about the money, money!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      Reply #1151: Jan 12, 2016 08:04:59 pm
      It's all about the money, money!

Good point.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,162 posts | 1351 
      Reply #1152: Jan 12, 2016 08:06:58 pm
      Not really, Swansea are having a bad season but on the whole they are a lot better than Newcastle. If Swansea had a goal scorer they wouldn't be in the mess they are in.

The league table suggests otherwise though, they're 2 points above Newcastle, not exactly a lot better. They haven't got a goalscorer in form though so you can't apply ifs to one situation and ignore it in the other.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      Reply #1153: Jan 12, 2016 08:14:25 pm
      The league table suggests otherwise though, they're 2 points above Newcastle, not exactly a lot better. They haven't got a goalscorer in form though so you can't apply ifs to one situation and ignore it in the other.

The league table suggest Leicester are better than Chelsea when we all know they aren't, Chelsea are just having a bad season. Swansea have the same team virtually that has been consistent for a few years now but for whatever reason, like so many other teams this season, it's just not clicking for them. I'm not ignoring any situation, Newcastle are just crap and have been edging closer and closer to another relegation for a while now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,099 posts | 3163 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #1154: Jan 12, 2016 08:30:37 pm

I'm more thinking that if we were thinking that it would be worth putting that much of a clause in we were thinking that he was a player who could command a decent transfer fee in the future and therefore become a very good player. Which makes it strange we let him go maybe?

Jonjo will always have my respect no matter what people think of him for telling Slur Alky to f**k off. Just like even if Stevie G had been sh*t for us I'd always remember him for twatting that Manc DJ for playing Phil Collins or whatever it was :)
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,562 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1155: Jan 12, 2016 09:27:21 pm
      I'm more thinking that if we were thinking that it would be worth putting that much of a clause in we were thinking that he was a player who could command a decent transfer fee in the future and therefore become a very good player. Which makes it strange we let him go maybe?

Jonjo will always have my respect no matter what people think of him for telling Slur Alky to f**k off. Just like even if Stevie G had been sh*t for us I'd always remember him for twatting that Manc DJ for playing Phil Collins or whatever it was :)

Him telling Ferguson to f**k off remains one of my favourite moments in recent memory.

I was always a big fan of Jonjo and didn't want us to sell him and I think he'll be a big hit at Newcastle.
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,265 posts | 2495 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1156: Jan 13, 2016 02:52:36 am
      Forever a hero with that f**k off to Fergie.

Hope he does well. Hasn't really shone in any role since the Harry Potter movies ended.
      IrishRed_IO

• 5,340 posts | 294 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1157: Jan 16, 2016 11:26:23 pm
      Watching MOTD now. Looked to have opened up West Ham for the most part in a much disorganised Newcastle team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,781 posts | 3426 
      Reply #1158: Jan 18, 2016 12:53:22 pm
      Just remember Jonjo £6 - £8 million from us to Swansea and we paid £15 million for Joe Allen - more transfer committee bollocks or can this one be put fairly onto the shoulders of Bren!!

Lfclee
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #1159: Mar 03, 2016 02:51:27 pm
      We should have never sold jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him. Hes to good for the championship when newcastle get relegated.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,769 posts | 1641 
      Reply #1160: Mar 03, 2016 03:09:01 pm
      We should have never sold jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him. Hes to good for the championship when newcastle get relegated.

He was to old to be going out on loan, ton's of potential as well as ton's of brain farts...good player but not anything better than what we have.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,705 posts | 471 
      Reply #1161: Mar 03, 2016 04:02:57 pm
      Carra did say on MNF  ages ago that Jonjo was sold more for his lack of discipline than lack of ability. I'd say if he wasn't so reckless at times he'd still be here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,781 posts | 3426 
      Reply #1162: Mar 05, 2016 03:01:03 am
      He was to old to be going out on loan, ton's of potential as well as ton's of brain farts...good player but not anything better than what we have.

Far better player than Joe Allen!!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,985 posts | 1661 
      Reply #1163: Mar 05, 2016 08:28:09 am
      Far better than most of our midfield, just needs discipline, I'd welcome him back with open arms.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,538 posts | 1650 
      Reply #1164: Mar 14, 2016 03:57:43 pm
      Jonjo Shelvey's #One2Eleven on The Fantasy Football Club

GOALKEEPER: Pepe Reina

The best best bit about him is his distribution. You could be 40 yards away and he'd find you with a ball. He's definitely one of the best keepers I've worked with. He's very vocal in the dressing room and was always arranging things on and off the pitch. I don't know how he's not at Liverpool still. His distribution and shot stopping was first class.

CENTRE-BACK: Martin Skrtel

He looks like the hard man but really he's one of the nicest men you'll meet off the pitch. He's another great character in the dressing room. He'd be one of the first to turn up for training and he'd always be in the gym working his socks off. He's a great central defender, who defends with his life.

CENTRE-BACK: Daniel Agger

His partner is Agger because of how strong he was. He could play as well. He wasn't afraid of bringing the ball out of defence and he had a wonder strike on him. He scored a few goals with that left foot of his. Not only that, he was a great defender and he put his heart on the line every time. One I've left out is Jamie Carragher and he's been a bit unlucky, but I had to put in Agger and Skrtel.

LEFT-BACK: Jose Enrique

He was such a powerhouse. He's an animal. His arms are massive, his legs are massive. I remember Brendan Rodgers saying to him that he could be a as good as Jordi Alba if he put his mind to it. He's been unlucky with injuries recently but he was brilliant when I was at Anfield.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Steven Gerrard

Gerrard was a player I looked up to growing up. When I first went to Liverpool it was magnificent to be there with him. The first three months at the club I was nowhere near what was required. I thought I was out of my depth. I couldn't get near anyone in training but after time you start to pick up the pace. However, Gerrard was head and shoulders above and nine times out of 10 he'd put the ball in the top corner. He was a great leader and he looked after me while I was at Liverpool. There were just certain things he could do on the field. He could spray a 40-yard pass, get back and win a crucial tackle and also get forward to score a goal. He's now living the life out in LA but he deserves everything he gets.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Alberto Aquilani

People will be surprised by me picking Aquilani but I've never seen anyone technically better. His touch was exquisite. He was at Liverpool when I first signed and he was a lovely guy on and off the pitch.

RIGHT FORWARD: Luis Suarez

Suarez is a natural born winner. That's why he goes over the top on the field sometimes. He's a great player. He nutmegged Carra on the first day and he got the hump a little bit. You knew he was going to be a hit straight away at Liverpool because of the passion he played with and the intensity and tempo he trained at. A lot of players just take it easy in training and on a matchday they turn up but he pushed every day. He pushed for excellence and that's why he had ended up at Barcelona playing with Lionel Messi and Neymar.

CENTRE FORWARD: Fernando Torres

If he's one-on-one in front of goal it's a goal. He could score from out of nowhere. His finishing was just a joke. He'd do a finishing session after training and it was goal, goal, goal. Not only did he score goals but he worked hard as well and I think people forget about that. He used to track the deep-lying midfield player and nick the ball. It was just an honour to play with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10201010/jonjo-shelveys-one2eleven-on-the-fantasy-football-club
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      Reply #1165: Mar 14, 2016 08:54:19 pm
      I don't know how he's not at Liverpool still.

Nor do we.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,915 posts | 2480 
      Reply #1166: May 14, 2018 01:12:56 am

We should have never sold Jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him.
      Hes to good for the championship when Newcastle get relegated.

Interesting some of the old posts.

Jonjo  :  Been a revelation at the Toon under Rafa . Plays a lot like Stevie did.

Featured on this season's last MOTD.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,915 posts | 2480 
      Reply #1167: May 14, 2018 01:16:23 am
      Him telling Ferguson to f**k off remains one of my favourite moments in recent memory.

I was always a big fan of Jonjo and didn't want us to sell him and I think he'll be a big hit at Newcastle.

How true that was.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,486 posts | 3111 
      Reply #1168: May 14, 2018 11:14:44 am

Interesting some of the old posts.

Jonjo  :  Been a revelation at the Toon under Rafa . Plays a lot like Stevie did.

Featured on this season's last MOTD.

Can see him being a vital player under Rafa. Good player, no doubt about that but I don’t think he’s good enough for what we should be aiming for now, he’s a player that’s probably too good for Newcastle if he really knuckles down but not good enough for the top teams.

Good to see him doing well though.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,985 posts | 1661 
      Reply #1169: May 14, 2018 11:20:34 am
      Selling him was without a doubt a mistake, his only real flaw is his temperament, but I think Klopp could have gotten that under control.

Quick Reply