Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Leicester [Premier League] Wed 30th Jan @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W11 D5 L6

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 111187 times
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,018 posts | 630 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey (Charlton)
      Reply #30: Apr 27, 2010 06:21:12 pm
      He's a good player.

Would like him here, a lot of potential.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Reply #31: Apr 27, 2010 06:22:06 pm
      Heard good things, never watched him though.
      awoogatron
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #32: Apr 27, 2010 09:36:38 pm
      Hi guys - Charlton fan in peace here.

Just want to congratulate you on signing Jonjo from us - if and when it goes through.

I'd like to offer my unbiased opinion on Jonjo.

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

I just hope the deal involves a decent sell on clause for us - and also includes some of your young talent coming to us as we desperately need some more quality to get us out of our current mire!!!

Good luck for the remainder of this season and for the Europa - I always follow your results as I have several Liverpool supporting fans - you might even become my favourite Premiership team now over Arsenal!!

And look after Jonjo

His weaknesses are that his left foot could be better and he isn't blessed with pace.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #33: Apr 27, 2010 09:40:49 pm

Just want to congratulate you on signing Jonjo from us - if and when it goes through.

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

I just hope the deal involves a decent sell on clause for us - and also includes some of your young talent coming to us as we desperately need some more quality to get us out of our current mire!!!

Good luck for the remainder of this season and for the Europa - I always follow your results as I have several Liverpool supporting fans - you might even become my favourite Premiership team now over Arsenal!!

And look after Jonjo

His weaknesses are that his left foot could be better and he isn't blessed with pace.
      Cheers for the info  mate and welcome.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,015 posts | 2802 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Apr 27, 2010 09:42:47 pm
      Just come up on SSN that we are in talks with him over a £1.7M move.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,286 posts | 2158 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Apr 27, 2010 09:44:47 pm

And look after Jonjo

Thanks for the info
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 435 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #36: Apr 27, 2010 09:45:57 pm
      Thanks for the info, awoogatron. He sounds like a great prospect and I hope everything goes through. I think you're probably right about the idea of our youth players coming to you on loan. Rafa has often said that young players in this country suffer because clubs aren't allowed to have a B team in another division to give them first team experience. So although he is working to improve our youth / reserve system, he's also keen to send players out on loan. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't part of the deal.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,286 posts | 2158 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Apr 27, 2010 09:48:00 pm
      Thanks for the info, awoogatron. He sounds like a great prospect and I hope everything goes through. I think you're probably right about the idea of our youth players coming to you on loan. Rafa has often said that young players in this country suffer because clubs aren't allowed to have a B team in another division to give them first team experience. So although he is working to improve our youth / reserve system, he's also keen to send players out on loan. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't part of the deal.
      Always wondered why we couldn't do something like take over Tranmere and set them up as a B team

I don't pay much attention to what goes in behind the scenes, that is not my domain.

Well that about says enough so.

Arsenal have years of employing the system they use.
      We are in the beginning of something special and hopefully we can add Jonjo to the list of fine young talent now being drawn to our system.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,286 posts | 2158 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Apr 27, 2010 10:22:03 pm
      Source: ssn
      Charlton have confirmed that they have given Liverpool permission to speak to teenage star Jonjo Shelvey ahead of a potential £1.7million move to Anfield.

Speculation has been linking the Premier League Reds with the 18-year-old attacking midfielder for a number of weeks and now the interest has become official.

England youth international Shelvey travelled to Liverpool on Tuesday to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms with the club's hierarchy.

A statement on Charlton's official website read: "Charlton have given Premier League side Liverpool permission to speak to 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey about a transfer."

Future

As part of the potential transfer, the Addicks have also announced that the two clubs are in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

Liverpool, who have been placed up for sale by co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicksamid unrest and financial difficulties, would pay an initial £1.7m and that figure could rise depending upon domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest debutant when he made his maiden first-team appearance in April 2008, aged just 16 years and 59 days.

The teenager has made 48 appearances and scored eight times for the Addicks, including four goals this season.

Liverpool's move for Shelvey is undoubtedly an investment in the future, but it could also cast Alberto Aquilani's long-term career on Merseyside into further doubt.

Good call Awoogatron.

Don't know how this casts doubt on Aquilani though.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 435 
      Reply #39: Apr 27, 2010 10:31:12 pm

Liverpool's move for Shelvey is undoubtedly an investment in the future, but it could also cast Alberto Aquilani's long-term career on Merseyside into further doubt.
      We're signing a midfielder, that's it, Aquilani's doomed

:lmao: You've got to love SSN!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,286 posts | 2158 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Apr 27, 2010 10:33:08 pm

Should get on well with Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Jovanovich in the scary b@st@rd club
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,018 posts | 630 
      Reply #41: Apr 27, 2010 10:37:46 pm
      We are potentially going to sign an inexperienced 17 year old from a League One club (albeit the boy has potential) and Aquilani's future is in doubt?

Funniest thing I've read in ages!!! :lmao:
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,851 posts | 143 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: Apr 27, 2010 10:39:12 pm

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

And look after Jonjo

Its fans like your good self that our a credit to your club. Thanks very much for the information.

I am getting a tad excited by this deal. To be honest, though, I don't see him featuring a lot next season in the first team. Infact, if Charlton go up, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back on loan to them. Watched him play a few times and he looks a very good player. However, as awoogatron has said, he is a rough diamond and needs to be treated well and with care before we can expect him to be in the first team. Good signing by the club if it goes through though :).
      riceycafc
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 27, 2010 10:55:29 pm
      Hi there everyone.
      Found myself browsing trough this thread and felt like joining and adding a Charlton point of view after reading some of the posts on here.

Quite mixed feelings down here in London really, most fans feel we didn't get the most out of him this season nor enough in the shape of a transfer fee.
      But others like myself see 1.7 million as a very sizeable amount for a league 1 side therefore i am pleased, furthermore i am pleased with the deal our two clubs have developed or may develop which can be good for English youth players and both of our teams.

Jonjo has not exactly had a brilliant season down here this year but that is down to a number of things in my opinion.
      Obviously at only 17/18 being played in a league 1 side being kicked all over the pitch it is sometimes hard to get the ball down and play.
      Having seen Charlton drop from Premiership mediocrity to league 1 within a few years it is crystal clear that the class is an absolute world of difference as you would expect which then leads to the majority of teams do their homework and kick players up in the air with very little protection from the referees, Jonjo was no different.
      Which lead to stick from fans which wasn't fair and then him being left out.
      My point is, that all of these things added together are pretty much why he hasn't been on top of our team sheet everyweek.He has something you can see he is a very clever player with an eye for goal and great passing ability.
      Had it not been for the reasons mentioned above i believe Jonjo has shown me more than enough to prove he is a very good footballer with a bright future ahead of him.
      I am excited for him to join a club like yourselves and hope to see him get the right management and a chance to play football like he can without some league 1 donkey attempt to break him in half everytime he has the ball at his feet.

The lad comes from a good family and is a good guy himself, he will run his heart out and show passion for you and i just wish we had a few players like that ourselves!
      A positive signing for you guys and i really hope he is banging them in in front of the Kop in a year or two!
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      Reply #44: Apr 27, 2010 11:01:54 pm
      So, there's no Youtube videos of this kid?
      He must be awesome because players whom we're linked to and who have Youtube videos are mostly shites.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,486 posts | 2071 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #45: Apr 27, 2010 11:04:29 pm
      Thanks a lot riceycafc and awoogatron for your views :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,775 posts | 2375 
      JonJo Shelvey
      Reply #46: Apr 27, 2010 11:04:57 pm
      Charlton midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was undergoing a medical at Liverpool after the two teams agreed a fee for a transfer.

The Addicks confirmed on their website the clubs had agreed an initial fee of £1.7m for the 18-year-old, who travelled to Merseyside today for talks and a medical.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/04/27/SOCCER_Liverpool.html

A statement on www.cafc.co.uk said: "As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions."

The results of the medical will be known tomorrow. Shelvey holds the record as Charlton's youngest ever player, having made his debut in April 2008 at the age of 16 years and 59 days.

The England youth international has scored eight goals in 48 games for the Addicks.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray earlier today revealed there had been interest in the player but claimed they were "some way off doing a deal".

Big-money moves are likely to be at a premium at Anfield this summer with uncertainty surrounding the future of both the club's owners and manager Rafa Benitez, who has been linked with a move to Juventus.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Re: JonJo Shelvey
      Reply #47: Apr 27, 2010 11:06:52 pm
      Pretty much a done deal then!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #48: Apr 27, 2010 11:07:33 pm
      I know nothing about this lad. Hope he turns out a good buy :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,707 posts | 880 
      Reply #49: Apr 27, 2010 11:08:59 pm
      Was just reading this myself. 1.7m? Surprised we have that to spend :D

This should probably still be in the Transfer board until its properly official though..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,486 posts | 2071 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #50: Apr 27, 2010 11:09:59 pm
      To be 100% honest, I'm very much looking forward to this deal because of FM 2010. He is one of my favourite players there, so good at such a young age :D

Hopefully he's just as good in real life.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Reply #51: Apr 27, 2010 11:10:31 pm
      From what I've heard about this lad I'm actually quite surprised it's that little.

Hopefully in the future people will look on this transfer and think 'wow'.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Reply #52: Apr 27, 2010 11:12:33 pm
      Absolutely zilch on YouTube!

Hopefully we'll have a Charlton fan come on here and tell us all about him. Better not say he's sh*te!  :D

Edit: Scrap that, there's several in the transfer board already!
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010 11:23:22 pm by Ross »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Reply #53: Apr 27, 2010 11:24:17 pm

Seconded.

Bit that especially caught my attention was 'sublime first touch'.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #54: Apr 27, 2010 11:25:47 pm
      Couple of my mates are fans of Tranmere and they reckon this is an absolute snatch for the price and is a quality prospect.

Lets just hope they are right!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 435 
      Reply #55: Apr 27, 2010 11:27:17 pm
      From what I've heard about this lad I'm actually quite surprised it's that little.
      There'll be a hell of a lot more to that deal than the initial payment though. He could end up costing a lot if he does well and the team is successful.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,896 posts | 161 
      Reply #56: Apr 27, 2010 11:27:57 pm
      Couple of my mates are fans of Tranmere and they reckon this is an absolute snatch for the price and is a quality prospect.

Lets just hope they are right!!

I'm loving what I'm reading here. Also just been on his Facebook fan page and there's a whole host of people wishing he would stay - 'biggest prospect in England'.

Can't make out though whether he's a striker or what? Says he models his game on Gerrard and there's a lot of comparisons to Gerrard yet Gerrard obv isn't a striker. Is he more of a CF?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,707 posts | 880 
      Reply #57: Apr 27, 2010 11:29:12 pm

Same, nice one guys. Always good to see fans of other clubs giving us their views :) Feel free to jump on any time for a chat!

Sounds like he is the type of player that could either flourish, or flounder, here. But, i think he sounds like he has promise from the words of those guys. If we develop him right, then we could have a handy little player in our ranks.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,707 posts | 880 
      Reply #58: Apr 27, 2010 11:31:05 pm
      I'm loving what I'm reading here. Also just been on his Facebook fan page and there's a whole host of people wishing he would stay - 'biggest prospect in England'.

Can't make out though whether he's a striker or what? Says he models his game on Gerrard and there's a lot of comparisons to Gerrard yet Gerrard obv isn't a striker. Is he more of a CF?

Things ive read say he is a midfielder? Read on the telegraph site i think it was that hes a midfielder, 8 goals in 40 odd games i think?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 435 
      Reply #59: Apr 27, 2010 11:34:04 pm
      Quite mixed feelings down here in London really, most fans feel we didn't get the most out of him this season nor enough in the shape of a transfer fee.
      I know you would have been delighted if you'd been given a larger lump-sum payment for him but I think it's pretty safe to say that the deal will be loaded with extras such as appearance payments, trophy winning payments and sell-on clauses, as well as agreements to take some of our kids on loan. You could benefit from this deal for a long time.

Quick Reply