Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 159555 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey Player Thread
      Reply #1104: Jul 03, 2013 09:46:43 pm
      Best of luck Jonjo, he'll be worth double that price with a full season of first team football under his belt.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1105: Jul 03, 2013 10:12:18 pm
      He's 21. Still a kid. A bit naive. Some mature quickly and some takes time. Shelvey is from the later I guess. The guy's quality. He takes risk on the pitch, make things happen, can score unlike Henderson In the process, he may lose the ball sometimes but got the vision and awareness. Was awesome at the start of the season. Loves the club, the city. If Allen perform badly this season as well, I bet he won't be sold.

We got rid of him way, way too early.

Hendo actually scored a goal more than Jonjo last season. Agree we got rid too early a loan deal would have been a better option for a player with his potential. Perhaps he looked for a transfer so he could play more regular football.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1106: Jul 03, 2013 10:33:42 pm
      Best of luck Jonjo

ynwa
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1107: Jul 03, 2013 11:00:31 pm
      Good luck to him, hopefully there is a buy back clause! This move will do him good, hopefully he will learn to control himself more on the pitch!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1108: Jul 03, 2013 11:16:52 pm
      Always felt he had too much self belief. Great potential but I wasn't always convinced. Brendan gave him a real shot to prove himself worthy last summer and unfortunately he couldn't take it. Wish him all the best, genuinely do. However, not all that sad to see him leave.

Good luck Shelvey lad, hope you do well with the Swans.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #1109: Jul 04, 2013 01:19:56 am
      I think that Shelvey has the potential to be a top player,  I think we should have waited and sent him out on loan.  The end product I believe will be between a Danny Murphy and a Frank Lampard.   
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1110: Jul 04, 2013 02:49:58 am
      I personally think he's been shipped on permanently a little early. Would have liked to see him loaned out and get a regular full season under his belt at a club like Palace then possibly re-evaluate as to if he had a future with us. That said maybe Jonjo felt it wasn't the route he wanted to go down with what's happened to loaned out players over the last few seasons. Maybe he thought it would be just prolonging the inevitable.

Good luck lad, has the potential to be one that got away. I hope for our sakes it isn't.

Nice to see his tweets post transfer. Respectful. YNWA
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #1111: Jul 04, 2013 03:49:14 am
      How much are good young English midfielders worth these days? I think Swansea who normally buy smart have picked up a bargain. He isn't the finished article but is very young and has talent + swagger to his game.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #1112: Jul 04, 2013 09:07:38 am
      Good Luck Jonjo all the best lad

Think he will be a great player for the Swans & that we have a buy back clause in there
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1113: Jul 04, 2013 09:11:22 am
      Bit gutted especially for that price!

Think he'll be a top player for them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1114: Jul 04, 2013 12:26:54 pm
      Good luck Jonjo. Was going to struggle for game time with us next season. Especially with our lack of European football. All money into out kitty for players Brendan does feel will add to the playing XI, so good news all round.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #1115: Jul 04, 2013 05:03:27 pm
      Good luck Jonjo

Think he deserved another year and I hope we've installed a buy back clause or at the very least a sell on clause.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1116: Jul 04, 2013 05:16:13 pm
      Personally I think Shelvey will get better at Swansea, and every time he scores a goal, there will be someone saying we let him go too soon. Still, I don't think he'll ever develop into a player that would actually command a starting place at LFC - or any team aiming for the top. Since we couldn't really provide him enough game time for his development, I think it's only fair that we let him go, although a buy-back clause certainly wouldn't hurt. Not too bothered he's gone to be frank but I liked the lad so it's always a bit sad to see a player like that leave.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1117: Jul 05, 2013 09:53:47 am
      Good Luck Jonjo, all the best at Swansea. Just don't come back to haunt us.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1118: Aug 01, 2013 07:50:57 pm
      Playing European Football tonight, for Swansea.

Good luck kiddo.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #1119: Aug 01, 2013 11:15:49 pm
      Hope he flourishes there, European footy looking good after tonight's display.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #1120: Sep 17, 2013 01:26:27 am
      Anyone see how affected Jonjo was by his mistakes, he looked like a man full of sorrow in his post match interview. Looked like he was gonna start crying at the start of the second half too.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1121: Sep 17, 2013 08:18:38 am
      He was a bit of a n*b head with the celebrating etc....  As much as I loved Jonjo you just didn't know what Jonjo was going to come out and play.

He was rightly moved on and he'll be boss in a set up like Swansea.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1122: Sep 17, 2013 09:09:14 am
      Had a hand in all 4 goals. More than he ever did at Liverpool.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1123: Sep 17, 2013 05:21:49 pm
      He was a bit of a n*b head with the celebrating etc....  As much as I loved Jonjo you just didn't know what Jonjo was going to come out and play.

He was rightly moved on and he'll be boss in a set up like Swansea.

He barely even celebrated! If you saw the goals he scored for us you'd know how he celebrates and its not casually putting his arms up a bit, he barely even cracked a smile! Anyway, who cares if he goes ahead and celebrates? On the pitch their is no time for sentiment, if he had been at the club for ages and played a big part fair enough I'd hate to see him celebrate against us but he wasn't and he didn't. He barely even celebrated when Michu scored, Michu was trying to get him to.

He had a good game, showed his inexperrience that he showed with us at times but we went too easy on him, we allowed him too much time and space but then again it was like that with all their players.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1124: Sep 18, 2013 09:35:04 am
      I think Jonjo will be one of those players who never quite makes that stepup to a brilliant footballer,his heart is all there but at times he lacks that little bit of finesse.Give the lad his due when he played for us he  did his best, and though he was playing for Swansea he did his best for us or we might not of got 2 goals.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1125: Sep 18, 2013 10:31:57 am

I thought for a second he put up the 5 Times sign.   :D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1126: Apr 27, 2014 01:52:04 pm
      What a goal by Jonjo!!  Still have a soft spot for the lad, and I honestly wouldn't mind if we bought him back off Swansea.  YNWA Jonjo!!

Jonjo Shelvey Amazing Halfway Goal ~ Swansea vs Aston Villa 2014 4-1 ~ Premier League 2014

Quick Reply