Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 159569 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)
      Reply #1150: Jan 12, 2016 08:14:25 pm
      The league table suggests otherwise though, they're 2 points above Newcastle, not exactly a lot better. They haven't got a goalscorer in form though so you can't apply ifs to one situation and ignore it in the other.

The league table suggest Leicester are better than Chelsea when we all know they aren't, Chelsea are just having a bad season. Swansea have the same team virtually that has been consistent for a few years now but for whatever reason, like so many other teams this season, it's just not clicking for them. I'm not ignoring any situation, Newcastle are just crap and have been edging closer and closer to another relegation for a while now.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1151: Jan 12, 2016 08:30:37 pm
      Cool!  Well done to whoever negotiated that into his sale.

I'm more thinking that if we were thinking that it would be worth putting that much of a clause in we were thinking that he was a player who could command a decent transfer fee in the future and therefore become a very good player. Which makes it strange we let him go maybe?

Jonjo will always have my respect no matter what people think of him for telling Slur Alky to F**k off. Just like even if Stevie G had been sh*t for us I'd always remember him for twatting that Manc DJ for playing Phil Collins or whatever it was :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1152: Jan 12, 2016 09:27:21 pm
      I'm more thinking that if we were thinking that it would be worth putting that much of a clause in we were thinking that he was a player who could command a decent transfer fee in the future and therefore become a very good player. Which makes it strange we let him go maybe?

Jonjo will always have my respect no matter what people think of him for telling Slur Alky to F**k off. Just like even if Stevie G had been sh*t for us I'd always remember him for twatting that Manc DJ for playing Phil Collins or whatever it was :)

Him telling Ferguson to F**k off remains one of my favourite moments in recent memory.

I was always a big fan of Jonjo and didn't want us to sell him and I think he'll be a big hit at Newcastle.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1153: Jan 13, 2016 02:52:36 am
      Forever a hero with that F**k off to Fergie.

Hope he does well. Hasn't really shone in any role since the Harry Potter movies ended.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1154: Jan 16, 2016 11:26:23 pm
      Watching MOTD now. Looked to have opened up West Ham for the most part in a much disorganised Newcastle team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1155: Jan 18, 2016 12:53:22 pm
      Just remember Jonjo £6 - £8 million from us to Swansea and we paid £15 million for Joe Allen - more transfer committee bollocks or can this one be put fairly onto the shoulders of Bren!!

Lfclee
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #1156: Mar 03, 2016 02:51:27 pm
      We should have never sold jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him. Hes to good for the championship when newcastle get relegated.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1157: Mar 03, 2016 03:09:01 pm
      We should have never sold jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him. Hes to good for the championship when newcastle get relegated.

He was to old to be going out on loan, ton's of potential as well as ton's of brain farts...good player but not anything better than what we have.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1158: Mar 03, 2016 04:02:57 pm
      Carra did say on MNF  ages ago that Jonjo was sold more for his lack of discipline than lack of ability. I'd say if he wasn't so reckless at times he'd still be here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1159: Mar 05, 2016 03:01:03 am
      He was to old to be going out on loan, ton's of potential as well as ton's of brain farts...good player but not anything better than what we have.

Far better player than Joe Allen!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1160: Mar 05, 2016 08:28:09 am
      Far better than most of our midfield, just needs discipline, I'd welcome him back with open arms.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1161: Mar 14, 2016 03:57:43 pm
      Jonjo Shelvey's #One2Eleven on The Fantasy Football Club

GOALKEEPER: Pepe Reina

The best best bit about him is his distribution. You could be 40 yards away and he'd find you with a ball. He's definitely one of the best keepers I've worked with. He's very vocal in the dressing room and was always arranging things on and off the pitch. I don't know how he's not at Liverpool still. His distribution and shot stopping was first class.

CENTRE-BACK: Martin Skrtel

He looks like the hard man but really he's one of the nicest men you'll meet off the pitch. He's another great character in the dressing room. He'd be one of the first to turn up for training and he'd always be in the gym working his socks off. He's a great central defender, who defends with his life.

CENTRE-BACK: Daniel Agger

His partner is Agger because of how strong he was. He could play as well. He wasn't afraid of bringing the ball out of defence and he had a wonder strike on him. He scored a few goals with that left foot of his. Not only that, he was a great defender and he put his heart on the line every time. One I've left out is Jamie Carragher and he's been a bit unlucky, but I had to put in Agger and Skrtel.

LEFT-BACK: Jose Enrique

He was such a powerhouse. He's an animal. His arms are massive, his legs are massive. I remember Brendan Rodgers saying to him that he could be a as good as Jordi Alba if he put his mind to it. He's been unlucky with injuries recently but he was brilliant when I was at Anfield.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Steven Gerrard

Gerrard was a player I looked up to growing up. When I first went to Liverpool it was magnificent to be there with him. The first three months at the club I was nowhere near what was required. I thought I was out of my depth. I couldn't get near anyone in training but after time you start to pick up the pace. However, Gerrard was head and shoulders above and nine times out of 10 he'd put the ball in the top corner. He was a great leader and he looked after me while I was at Liverpool. There were just certain things he could do on the field. He could spray a 40-yard pass, get back and win a crucial tackle and also get forward to score a goal. He's now living the life out in LA but he deserves everything he gets.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Alberto Aquilani

People will be surprised by me picking Aquilani but I've never seen anyone technically better. His touch was exquisite. He was at Liverpool when I first signed and he was a lovely guy on and off the pitch.

RIGHT FORWARD: Luis Suarez

Suarez is a natural born winner. That's why he goes over the top on the field sometimes. He's a great player. He nutmegged Carra on the first day and he got the hump a little bit. You knew he was going to be a hit straight away at Liverpool because of the passion he played with and the intensity and tempo he trained at. A lot of players just take it easy in training and on a matchday they turn up but he pushed every day. He pushed for excellence and that's why he had ended up at Barcelona playing with Lionel Messi and Neymar.

CENTRE FORWARD: Fernando Torres

If he's one-on-one in front of goal it's a goal. He could score from out of nowhere. His finishing was just a joke. He'd do a finishing session after training and it was goal, goal, goal. Not only did he score goals but he worked hard as well and I think people forget about that. He used to track the deep-lying midfield player and nick the ball. It was just an honour to play with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10201010/jonjo-shelveys-one2eleven-on-the-fantasy-football-club
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1162: Mar 14, 2016 08:54:19 pm
      I don't know how he's not at Liverpool still.

Nor do we.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1163: May 14, 2018 01:12:56 am
      Liverpool are on the verge of pocketing £3.6m when Jonjo Shelvey completes his £12m move to Newcastle from Swansea.

When we sold the England international to the Welsh club in 2013, we inserted a 30% sell-on clause into the transfer deal, which now translates as £3.6m as Swansea are offloading the 23-year-old for a cool £12m

We should have never sold Jonjo, maybe just sent him out on loan for a season.

It was clear he had potential, could of been a top player for us if we kept him.
      Hes to good for the championship when Newcastle get relegated.

Interesting some of the old posts.

Jonjo  :  Been a revelation at the Toon under Rafa . Plays a lot like Stevie did.

Featured on this season's last MOTD.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1164: May 14, 2018 01:16:23 am
      Him telling Ferguson to f**k off remains one of my favourite moments in recent memory.

I was always a big fan of Jonjo and didn't want us to sell him and I think he'll be a big hit at Newcastle.

How true that was.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1165: May 14, 2018 11:14:44 am

Interesting some of the old posts.

Jonjo  :  Been a revelation at the Toon under Rafa . Plays a lot like Stevie did.

Featured on this season's last MOTD.

Can see him being a vital player under Rafa. Good player, no doubt about that but I don’t think he’s good enough for what we should be aiming for now, he’s a player that’s probably too good for Newcastle if he really knuckles down but not good enough for the top teams.

Good to see him doing well though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1166: May 14, 2018 11:20:34 am
      Selling him was without a doubt a mistake, his only real flaw is his temperament, but I think Klopp could have gotten that under control.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1167: May 14, 2018 11:25:09 am
      his only real flaw is his temperament,

And work rate in my opinion

That would have driven Klopp mad

I think what's key to Jonjo at Newcastle under Rafa is that Rafa rates him.. he was the manager who signed him from Charlton

He's talented but a bit of a luxury
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1168: May 14, 2018 11:27:48 am
      And work rate in my opinion

That would have driven Klopp mad

I think what's key to Jonjo at Newcastle under Rafa is that Rafa rates him.. he was the manager who signed him from Charlton

He's talented but a bit of a luxury

I think it was MOTD that did a piece on how he switches off at certain times defensively.
      At the time it cost Newcastle and he was dropped, but there is no doubt he is their best creative outlet.
      Wouldn't call him a luxury player, but he would definitely need a partner in midfield to screen the back 4 and let Jonjo be the attacking outlet.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1169: May 14, 2018 11:30:16 am
      I think it was MOTD that did a piece on how he switches off at certain times defensively.
      At the time it cost Newcastle and he was dropped, but there is no doubt he is their best creative outlet.
      Wouldn't call him a luxury player, but he would definitely need a partner in midfield to screen the back 4 and let Jonjo be the attacking outlet.

That's what I mean by luxury mate, just my wording on it

Get someone doing the work behind him and give him the ball then he will come alive.

Get intelligent runners in front of him and he will find them

But when you lose the ball or things aren't coming off for him then I think Klopp would do his nut cause he wouldn't turn and track that often

We'd see so many Klopp rants on the sideline at jonjo 😀
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1170: May 14, 2018 11:33:27 am
      That's what I mean by luxury mate, just my wording on it

Get someone doing the work behind him and give him the ball then he will come alive.

Get intelligent runners in front of him and he will find them

But when you lose the ball or things aren't coming off for him then I think Klopp would do his nut cause he wouldn't turn and track that often

We'd see so many Klopp rants on the sideline at jonjo 😀

Oh absolutely. Would be a love/hate relationship.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1171: Oct 06, 2018 06:52:30 pm
      Would not mind seeing this fella back at Anfield. Lovely footballer
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1172: Oct 06, 2018 07:47:15 pm
      Would not mind seeing this fella back at Anfield. Lovely footballer

I'll always have a soft spot for Jonjo after he told Fergie to F**k off 😂

Quick Reply