Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 159542 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey (Charlton)
      Reply #23: Apr 26, 2010 02:12:49 pm
      Doubt Pacheco would have many arguments. My point is made for the current crop of players we have been bringing into our youth team and how they will develop under Rodolfo and his team. See above link. Tired of people making the "Our youth policy doesn't work statement" when my arguments are based around how the system has been overhauled this season and how it will affect us in the future. Not how Nemeth, Amoo, Eccleston, Spearing or any of the players already in the Reserves this year will be affected by it

My point was chances are if a London club come in he'd [ick them to stay down there. Arsenal would be more likely to give him games then we would. Thats all
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Apr 26, 2010 02:16:30 pm
      My point was chances are if a London club come in he'd [ick them to stay down there. Arsenal would be more likely to give him games then we would. Thats all

Disagree. Think with the new system we have in place we are the better prospect. Will be interesting to see how this one goes. As for the point of youth breaking in to the team.
      Insua, Kelly, Spearing, Pacheco, Eccleston, Ayala, Ngog have all featured for us at some point this year. Ignore it if you want but we are starting to see more youth players come to the first team. It's only a matter of time til the philosophy development mentioned by Rodolfo means they come into the team comfortable in their position and job in the team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Apr 26, 2010 02:20:10 pm
      Disagree. Think with the new system we have in place we are the better prospect. Will be interesting to see how this one goes. As for the point of youth breaking in to the team.
      Insua, Kelly, Spearing, Pacheco, Eccleston, Ayala, Ngog have all featured for us at some point this year. Ignore it if you want but we are starting to see more youth players come to the first team. It's only a matter of time til the philosophy development mentioned by Rodolfo means they come into the team comfortable in their position and job in the team.

Insua and N'Gog have featured. We seen Jay twice I think. Eccelstone once Ayala 3 times and Dani about 3/4 times as sub Kelly the same. Hardly evidence our youths are bursting into the 1st team.

We won the youth cup and the ressie league in the last couple of seasons where are the lads from those teams. On loan or still in the ressies thats where.  

I do believe 3/5 years from now it will kick in no doubt
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Apr 26, 2010 02:24:07 pm
      Insua and N'Gog have featured. We seen Jay twice I think. Eccelstone once Ayala 3 times and Dani about 3/4 times as sub Kelly the same. Hardly evidence our youths are bursting into the 1st team.

We won the youth cup and the ressie league in the last couple of seasons where are the lads from those teams. On loan or still in the ressies thats where. 

I know they havent been playing extensively.(With the exception of Insua and Ngog)
      My point is that the overhaul is only in its eleventh month and already we have seen massive strides in youth development. We will see more quality youth come in to the first team in the next few seasons. A lot of our Reserves this year were made up of youth graduates stepping up because we put players out on loan to further their development. Hardly a backward step and likely to help all players concerned to develop more.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: Apr 26, 2010 11:26:11 pm
      I don't pay much attention to what goes in behind the scenes, that is not my domain. I watch the end product, and at present there is no evidence in terms of results to suggest that we have a great youth policy. Of course this new 'overhaul' may change things, but at the moment it is work in progress, and to claim it as being better than Arsenals is far off the mark.

They have many many kids who are capable of stepping up into the first team whenever injury strikes. We seem only to have faith in Ngog and Insua. Who lets face it, are not setting the world alight.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #28: Apr 27, 2010 03:25:53 pm
      Charlton Athletic have confirmed that they are in talks about teenager Jonjo Shelvey's departure.

Reports have claimed that Liverpool have won the race to sign the Academy graduate, who is closing on 50 appearances for the Addicks.

It is believed Shelvey will undergo a medical on Merseyside this week, ahead of a move to Anfield in the summer.

However, League One club Charlton have refused to confirm that the player was in talks with Liverpool and insisted a deal was not yet done.

Addicks chairman Richard Murray told the South London Press: "There has been some interest shown in the player but we're some way off doing a deal."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6119314,00.html
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #29: Apr 27, 2010 05:22:45 pm
      Jonjo's already in the bag apparently, he's 18, but he's a first teamer for Charlton. He won't be playing for our reserves, mind you.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #30: Apr 27, 2010 06:21:12 pm
      He's a good player.

Would like him here, a lot of potential.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #31: Apr 27, 2010 06:22:06 pm
      Heard good things, never watched him though.
      awoogatron
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #32: Apr 27, 2010 09:36:38 pm
      Hi guys - Charlton fan in peace here.

Just want to congratulate you on signing Jonjo from us - if and when it goes through.

I'd like to offer my unbiased opinion on Jonjo.

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

I just hope the deal involves a decent sell on clause for us - and also includes some of your young talent coming to us as we desperately need some more quality to get us out of our current mire!!!

Good luck for the remainder of this season and for the Europa - I always follow your results as I have several Liverpool supporting fans - you might even become my favourite Premiership team now over Arsenal!!

And look after Jonjo

His weaknesses are that his left foot could be better and he isn't blessed with pace.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #33: Apr 27, 2010 09:40:49 pm

Just want to congratulate you on signing Jonjo from us - if and when it goes through.

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

I just hope the deal involves a decent sell on clause for us - and also includes some of your young talent coming to us as we desperately need some more quality to get us out of our current mire!!!

Good luck for the remainder of this season and for the Europa - I always follow your results as I have several Liverpool supporting fans - you might even become my favourite Premiership team now over Arsenal!!

And look after Jonjo

His weaknesses are that his left foot could be better and he isn't blessed with pace.
      Cheers for the info  mate and welcome.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34: Apr 27, 2010 09:42:47 pm
      Just come up on SSN that we are in talks with him over a £1.7M move.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Apr 27, 2010 09:44:47 pm

And look after Jonjo

Thanks for the info
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #36: Apr 27, 2010 09:45:57 pm
      Thanks for the info, awoogatron. He sounds like a great prospect and I hope everything goes through. I think you're probably right about the idea of our youth players coming to you on loan. Rafa has often said that young players in this country suffer because clubs aren't allowed to have a B team in another division to give them first team experience. So although he is working to improve our youth / reserve system, he's also keen to send players out on loan. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't part of the deal.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Apr 27, 2010 09:48:00 pm
      Thanks for the info, awoogatron. He sounds like a great prospect and I hope everything goes through. I think you're probably right about the idea of our youth players coming to you on loan. Rafa has often said that young players in this country suffer because clubs aren't allowed to have a B team in another division to give them first team experience. So although he is working to improve our youth / reserve system, he's also keen to send players out on loan. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't part of the deal.
      Always wondered why we couldn't do something like take over Tranmere and set them up as a B team

I don't pay much attention to what goes in behind the scenes, that is not my domain.

Well that about says enough so.

Arsenal have years of employing the system they use.
      We are in the beginning of something special and hopefully we can add Jonjo to the list of fine young talent now being drawn to our system.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #38: Apr 27, 2010 10:22:03 pm
      Source: ssn
      Charlton have confirmed that they have given Liverpool permission to speak to teenage star Jonjo Shelvey ahead of a potential £1.7million move to Anfield.

Speculation has been linking the Premier League Reds with the 18-year-old attacking midfielder for a number of weeks and now the interest has become official.

England youth international Shelvey travelled to Liverpool on Tuesday to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms with the club's hierarchy.

A statement on Charlton's official website read: "Charlton have given Premier League side Liverpool permission to speak to 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey about a transfer."

Future

As part of the potential transfer, the Addicks have also announced that the two clubs are in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

Liverpool, who have been placed up for sale by co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicksamid unrest and financial difficulties, would pay an initial £1.7m and that figure could rise depending upon domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest debutant when he made his maiden first-team appearance in April 2008, aged just 16 years and 59 days.

The teenager has made 48 appearances and scored eight times for the Addicks, including four goals this season.

Liverpool's move for Shelvey is undoubtedly an investment in the future, but it could also cast Alberto Aquilani's long-term career on Merseyside into further doubt.

Good call Awoogatron.

Don't know how this casts doubt on Aquilani though.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #39: Apr 27, 2010 10:31:12 pm

Liverpool's move for Shelvey is undoubtedly an investment in the future, but it could also cast Alberto Aquilani's long-term career on Merseyside into further doubt.
      We're signing a midfielder, that's it, Aquilani's doomed

:lmao: You've got to love SSN!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40: Apr 27, 2010 10:33:08 pm

Should get on well with Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Jovanovich in the scary b@st@rd club
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #41: Apr 27, 2010 10:37:46 pm
      We are potentially going to sign an inexperienced 17 year old from a League One club (albeit the boy has potential) and Aquilani's future is in doubt?

Funniest thing I've read in ages!!! :lmao:
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: Apr 27, 2010 10:39:12 pm

Disregard the fact that he hasn't featured much in our first team this year - he hasn't really had a good season and the fact we have no reserve team this season hasn't helped.  Third tier football is not where he is suited to playing.  Having some fat 35 year old clogger baying for your blood doesn't really work for a skilful and cultured player.

Jonjo's best attributes are his first touch (which is sublime) and vision.  When shooting he tries to place it rather than blast it.  He is one of those players that just loves to play with a ball.  He also has a decent level of aggression about him - though occasionally this can spill over and might need to be curbed a little.

He broke into the first team as a 15 year old and was identical to how he is now - 6'1", skinny and bald.  He's filled out a little since then.  He immediately aroused interest in him with displays head and shoulders above his "peers" and it was evident he was something special.

Some people may ask "Why Liverpool".  It's simple.  He is a big fan of a certain Mr Gerrard. I am on a Charlton forum and one of his close relatives, who has always been very upfront about Jonjo, has admitted that he would only leave us for one of two clubs.  West Ham (who he supports) or Liverpool (because he loves, and models his game on, Steve Gerrard).

In Jonjo you are getting a rough diamond.  A player that could and should go on to represent his country and could turn out to be very special.  He'll always be remembered at the Valley

And look after Jonjo

Its fans like your good self that our a credit to your club. Thanks very much for the information.

I am getting a tad excited by this deal. To be honest, though, I don't see him featuring a lot next season in the first team. Infact, if Charlton go up, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back on loan to them. Watched him play a few times and he looks a very good player. However, as awoogatron has said, he is a rough diamond and needs to be treated well and with care before we can expect him to be in the first team. Good signing by the club if it goes through though :).
      riceycafc
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 27, 2010 10:55:29 pm
      Hi there everyone.
      Found myself browsing trough this thread and felt like joining and adding a Charlton point of view after reading some of the posts on here.

Quite mixed feelings down here in London really, most fans feel we didn't get the most out of him this season nor enough in the shape of a transfer fee.
      But others like myself see 1.7 million as a very sizeable amount for a league 1 side therefore i am pleased, furthermore i am pleased with the deal our two clubs have developed or may develop which can be good for English youth players and both of our teams.

Jonjo has not exactly had a brilliant season down here this year but that is down to a number of things in my opinion.
      Obviously at only 17/18 being played in a league 1 side being kicked all over the pitch it is sometimes hard to get the ball down and play.
      Having seen Charlton drop from Premiership mediocrity to league 1 within a few years it is crystal clear that the class is an absolute world of difference as you would expect which then leads to the majority of teams do their homework and kick players up in the air with very little protection from the referees, Jonjo was no different.
      Which lead to stick from fans which wasn't fair and then him being left out.
      My point is, that all of these things added together are pretty much why he hasn't been on top of our team sheet everyweek.He has something you can see he is a very clever player with an eye for goal and great passing ability.
      Had it not been for the reasons mentioned above i believe Jonjo has shown me more than enough to prove he is a very good footballer with a bright future ahead of him.
      I am excited for him to join a club like yourselves and hope to see him get the right management and a chance to play football like he can without some league 1 donkey attempt to break him in half everytime he has the ball at his feet.

The lad comes from a good family and is a good guy himself, he will run his heart out and show passion for you and i just wish we had a few players like that ourselves!
      A positive signing for you guys and i really hope he is banging them in in front of the Kop in a year or two!
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #44: Apr 27, 2010 11:01:54 pm
      So, there's no Youtube videos of this kid?
      He must be awesome because players whom we're linked to and who have Youtube videos are mostly shites.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #45: Apr 27, 2010 11:04:29 pm
      Thanks a lot riceycafc and awoogatron for your views :)

Quick Reply