Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool -> Swansea)

Read 159543 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      JonJo Shelvey
      Reply #46: Apr 27, 2010 11:04:57 pm
      Charlton midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was undergoing a medical at Liverpool after the two teams agreed a fee for a transfer.

The Addicks confirmed on their website the clubs had agreed an initial fee of £1.7m for the 18-year-old, who travelled to Merseyside today for talks and a medical.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/04/27/SOCCER_Liverpool.html

A statement on www.cafc.co.uk said: "As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions."

The results of the medical will be known tomorrow. Shelvey holds the record as Charlton's youngest ever player, having made his debut in April 2008 at the age of 16 years and 59 days.

The England youth international has scored eight goals in 48 games for the Addicks.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray earlier today revealed there had been interest in the player but claimed they were "some way off doing a deal".

Big-money moves are likely to be at a premium at Anfield this summer with uncertainty surrounding the future of both the club's owners and manager Rafa Benitez, who has been linked with a move to Juventus.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: JonJo Shelvey
      Reply #47: Apr 27, 2010 11:06:52 pm
      Pretty much a done deal then!
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #48: Apr 27, 2010 11:07:33 pm
      I know nothing about this lad. Hope he turns out a good buy :)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #49: Apr 27, 2010 11:08:59 pm
      Was just reading this myself. 1.7m? Surprised we have that to spend :D

This should probably still be in the Transfer board until its properly official though..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #50: Apr 27, 2010 11:09:59 pm
      To be 100% honest, I'm very much looking forward to this deal because of FM 2010. He is one of my favourite players there, so good at such a young age :D

Hopefully he's just as good in real life.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #51: Apr 27, 2010 11:10:31 pm
      From what I've heard about this lad I'm actually quite surprised it's that little.

Hopefully in the future people will look on this transfer and think 'wow'.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Apr 27, 2010 11:12:33 pm
      Absolutely zilch on YouTube!

Hopefully we'll have a Charlton fan come on here and tell us all about him. Better not say he's sh*te!  :D

Edit: Scrap that, there's several in the transfer board already!
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010 11:23:22 pm by Ross »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Jonjo Shelvey (Charlton)
      Reply #53: Apr 27, 2010 11:24:17 pm
      Thanks a lot riceycafc and awoogatron for your views :)

Seconded.

Bit that especially caught my attention was 'sublime first touch'.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #54: Apr 27, 2010 11:25:47 pm
      Couple of my mates are fans of Tranmere and they reckon this is an absolute snatch for the price and is a quality prospect.

Lets just hope they are right!!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #55: Apr 27, 2010 11:27:17 pm
      From what I've heard about this lad I'm actually quite surprised it's that little.
      There'll be a hell of a lot more to that deal than the initial payment though. He could end up costing a lot if he does well and the team is successful.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #56: Apr 27, 2010 11:27:57 pm
      Couple of my mates are fans of Tranmere and they reckon this is an absolute snatch for the price and is a quality prospect.

Lets just hope they are right!!

I'm loving what I'm reading here. Also just been on his Facebook fan page and there's a whole host of people wishing he would stay - 'biggest prospect in England'.

Can't make out though whether he's a striker or what? Says he models his game on Gerrard and there's a lot of comparisons to Gerrard yet Gerrard obv isn't a striker. Is he more of a CF?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #57: Apr 27, 2010 11:29:12 pm
      Thanks a lot riceycafc and awoogatron for your views :)

Same, nice one guys. Always good to see fans of other clubs giving us their views :) Feel free to jump on any time for a chat!

Sounds like he is the type of player that could either flourish, or flounder, here. But, i think he sounds like he has promise from the words of those guys. If we develop him right, then we could have a handy little player in our ranks.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #58: Apr 27, 2010 11:31:05 pm
      I'm loving what I'm reading here. Also just been on his Facebook fan page and there's a whole host of people wishing he would stay - 'biggest prospect in England'.

Can't make out though whether he's a striker or what? Says he models his game on Gerrard and there's a lot of comparisons to Gerrard yet Gerrard obv isn't a striker. Is he more of a CF?

Things ive read say he is a midfielder? Read on the telegraph site i think it was that hes a midfielder, 8 goals in 40 odd games i think?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #59: Apr 27, 2010 11:34:04 pm
      Quite mixed feelings down here in London really, most fans feel we didn't get the most out of him this season nor enough in the shape of a transfer fee.
      I know you would have been delighted if you'd been given a larger lump-sum payment for him but I think it's pretty safe to say that the deal will be loaded with extras such as appearance payments, trophy winning payments and sell-on clauses, as well as agreements to take some of our kids on loan. You could benefit from this deal for a long time.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #60: Apr 27, 2010 11:35:38 pm
      Just been on a Charlton fan forum, sounds like he is an attacking midfielder from what i've read.

None of them are happy with the price we have paid either, just one example....

£1.7 million for a player that when played at the start of the season had us top of the league and flying - can't believe how angry and fecked off I feel right now.

I feel as bad now as I did when we sold Scott Parker.

All looks pretty positive to me  ;D
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #61: Apr 27, 2010 11:51:06 pm
      This comes from the Charlton Ath. official website>>

Date: Tue 27 Apr 2010. Matt Wright reports
       Shelvey discussing move to Merseyside
      Charlton have given Premier League side Liverpool permission to speak to 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey about a transfer, the Addicks confirmed on Tuesday evening.

Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m for the England youth international, with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances.

Shelvey travelled to Merseyside on Tuesday to agree personal terms and undergo a medical, the results of which won't be known until Wednesday.

As part of the potential transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest debutant when he made his first-team bow against Barnsley at Oakwell in April 2008, aged just 16 years and 59 days. He is also the club's youngest FA Cup and league goalscorer.

The Romford-born attacker has made 48 appearances and scored eight times for the Addicks, including four goals in the current campaign.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36026
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #62: Apr 28, 2010 12:26:21 am
      So seems we got our selves another hard b***ard

Reserves player?
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #63: Apr 28, 2010 12:30:49 am
      I really hope Rafa put's this young talent to use rather than letting him waste just like he did with Paul Anderson, Jack Hobbs etc and Pacheco. Rafa should stop with the pathetic cotton wooling of young players and play them in the first team because otherwise, they'll miss the train again. The fact that Pacheco has hardly got any 1st team action this season is pathetic. It's something Ferguson and Wenger wouldn't allow to happen.

So Rafa - MAKE IT HAPPEN.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #64: Apr 28, 2010 12:45:45 am
      My brother who is a United fan showed me a thread on RedCafe and there was one on us getting this lad. Many of their comments were saying he is class, etc. And United dont usually praise our signings.. Lets hope hes good... He actually looks 40 though.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #65: Apr 28, 2010 12:48:09 am
      Heard great things about him.. I heard we gonna sign him and loan him back next season?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #66: Apr 28, 2010 12:52:38 am
      So he's a midfielder then?

Excellent. He can go in goal so we can put Reina on the wing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Apr 28, 2010 01:02:14 am
      Too much positivity around this signing. Need to balance it up.

What a piss weak excuse for 1.7m! That's Voronin money and i'd rather our Ukrainian stallion back!

;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Apr 28, 2010 03:11:00 am
      Forgot to mention Jonjo is a pretty cool name for a footballer :P

Quick Reply