Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

FAI eircom League of Ireland

Read 2359 times
      Cork City FC
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 32 posts |
      • Cork City FC - The Rebel Army
      Jun 09, 2007 10:08:41 pm
      I'd just like to ask a few questions on this. What do people know about the FAI eircom League of Ireland (the Republic of Ireland's league)?

1)Have you ever watched a game from this league?

2)How many teams do you know?

3)Who's your faverouite team from the League? And why?

4)Do you know any stadiums?

5)Do you know any players (past or present)?

6)Who's your faverouite player? And why?

The eircom League is actually a very competive league. For the last three years running it has gone right down to the last day. Three teams were in with a chance of winning it last year and it was a four-horse race for almost the entire season. The league has also made strides in Europe over the last few years. Last year it gained about 5 places in the UEFA rankings.

I've seen that I've got no replies since I started this thread. Just to tell people, if you don't have to answer every question, if you don't have an answer for it.and you don't have to limit the discussion to these questions. Write anything at all that you know about the eircom League
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007 12:14:47 am by Cork City FC »
      Mickey LFC4Ever
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts | -6 
      Re: FAI eircom League of Ireland
      Reply #1: Jun 09, 2007 11:52:28 pm
      Im from Belfast, actually never watched a game cus its never on tv apart from the odd time on rté.  I kno it runs from some time after the premier league ends. the teams I know are bohemians, cork city, galway, dublin city, shelbourne, drogheda united, Derry city and Shamrock rovers. my favourite team are derry city because they had a gd run in the uefa cup where they done well against paris st germain and their fans are amazing. I dont really know any of the stadiums accept for the brandywell stadium which is derrys ground. dont know any players and so I dont have a favourite im more into the northern divsion (carnegie premier league).
      Cork City FC
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 32 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2007 12:14:03 am
      Im from Belfast, actually never watched a game cus its never on tv apart from the odd time on rté.  I kno it runs from some time after the premier league ends. the teams I know are bohemians, cork city, galway, dublin city, shelbourne, drogheda united, Derry city and Shamrock rovers. my favourite team are derry city because they had a gd run in the uefa cup where they done well against paris st germain and their fans are amazing. I dont really know any of the stadiums accept for the brandywell stadium which is derrys ground. dont know any players and so I dont have a favourite im more into the northern divsion (carnegie premier league).
      The coverage is actually gotten much better. Between RTE, TGA (an Irish language channel) and Setanta (Sports) Ireland a game is shown every week.  And it runs from March-November. I'll actually take that question down cos now everyone who'll read this post will now when it runs.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2007 10:49:18 am
      I'm from N Ireland and I watch it the odd time if its on RTE. But I do follow the Setanta Cup as a Linfield fan and watched them against Derry City last year at Windsor Park!!! Pity about losing to Drogheda in the final this year, but can't win em all ;)
      Cork City FC
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 32 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2007 03:33:49 pm

Team             P  W  D  L  F     A   GD  Pts  Pts/game
      1   St Patricks Athletic 14   9  2  3  23   11   12  29  2.1
      2   Drogheda United    13   7  4  2  20  13     7  25  1.9
      3   Bohemians             14   6  5  3  15   7     8  23  1.6
      4   Shamrock Rovers    13   7  2  4  14   7     7  23  1.8
      5   Cork City                13   5  5  3  15  13    2  20  1.5
      6   UCD                      14   4  6  4  17  13    4  18  1.3
      7   Derry City               14   4  6  4  11  12   -1  18  1.3
      8   Sligo Rovers            14  5  1  8  12  21   -9  16  1.1
      9   Galway United         14  3  5  6  11  13   -2  14  1.0
      10   Bray Wanderers     12  4  2  6  10  14   -4  14  1.2
      11   Waterford United   13  3  3  7  9   18   -9  12  0.9
      12   Longford Town*    14  1  5  8  8   23  -15  2   0.1

*Longford Town deducted 6 points for not having accounts in on time

With one third of the season gone it's pretty close at the top. The top teams all tend to take points off each other. Cork City don't really have a problem with beating the top teams. We've drawn with Drogheda and Shamrock Rovers and lost to Shamrock Rovers. We've beaten St. Patricks, Bohemians. We drew and lost a lot with the lesser teams. Galway/Bray/Sligo/Waterford. We still aren't doing too badly. Only 9 points behind with a game in hand. We've gotta strengthen in July. We'll make a big push after Europe, I feel.

Quick Reply