Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1108313 times
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Attacking Midfielder)
      Reply #69: Jan 10, 2008 10:28:00 pm
      I havent given up on him yet but we havent seen that Brazillian flair you'd expect from their under 21 captain have we ?? :confused-smiley-013:
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #70: Jan 10, 2008 11:31:05 pm
      I havent given up on him yet but we havent seen that Brazillian flair you'd expect from their under 21 captain have we ?? :confused-smiley-013:

He doesn't strike me as a type of player that has loads of flair like for example Ronaldinho or Kaka. He seems more like, as someone said a while back (may have been Aldo on LFCTV IIRC), a scouse-brazilian. His game seems more English than Brazilian if you will. Not that that is a bad thing though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #71: Jan 11, 2008 12:30:26 am
      I'd much rather us have bought a Brazilian-Brazilian.  We've got too many of these industrious midfielders now.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #72: Jan 11, 2008 01:53:44 am
      I agree with you JD on this one i sledged this guy in my first ever post after the Carling Cup loss to Chelsea. He looks very pedestrian but we are not Fulham or blue sh*te that would need to resort on waiting on players to "mature" we are a big club that needs big players. This guy is actually older than Manurre's Anderson and cant even clean his boots. I hope he grows into world class and i ear my own words.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #73: Jan 11, 2008 11:05:25 am
      I'd much rather us have bought a Brazilian-Brazilian.  We've got too many of these industrious midfielders now.

Yeah he kinda just lines up behind Mach, Xabi, and Stevie really doesnt he ? He's already said he wants to learn from Gerrard and become the same type of player. We need a Kaka !!
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #74: Jan 11, 2008 11:16:29 am
      Yeah he kinda just lines up behind Mach, Xabi, and Stevie really doesnt he ? He's already said he wants to learn from Gerrard and become the same type of player. We need a Kaka !!

Bran flakes can be useful I have heard! (sorry I love juvenile humour)

I dont think a Kaka is top of our list at the moment as for me before we go down that passage surely a partner for Torres and defensive cover are a priority? I agree we need that sort of creative spark in our team just not necessarily in that position, and the one problem we would have with getting that sort of player is Rafa! he is not going to let a player who needs that sort of freedom play for us.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #75: Jan 11, 2008 11:23:57 am
      Bran flakes can be useful I have heard! (sorry I love juvenile humour)

:lmao:

Well we've already got yer man Skrtel in terms of defence and I reckon if there was an attacking midfielder that would allow Kuyt to stay pushed up, we'd see a massive improvement in him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #76: Jan 11, 2008 12:31:37 pm
      Who to play with him though? Push Steven to the right and play Masch in the middle? Rafa likes to have one man to go forward and one to be a rock in the middle.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #77: Jan 11, 2008 01:23:34 pm
      Who to play with him though? Push Steven to the right and play Masch in the middle? Rafa likes to have one man to go forward and one to be a rock in the middle.

Thats the big issue ! The only way around it is as you said to put gerrard on the right.......but that seems like a bit of a waste and he won't be as happy.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #78: Jan 11, 2008 02:10:46 pm
      I feel we will see the best of Lucas as the season progresses. Even more so if momo leaves as alonso having come back pushes lucas down the pecking order a little compared to when Alonso was out injured. He has been playing more of an alonso, holding midfield role rather than an attacking midfield role which i feel suits him more. He has more flair than it seems i think he is still settling and just getting used to or style of play.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #79: Jan 12, 2008 04:46:16 am
      I expect big things from him, not now, next season. He has been impressive in terms of a 20 year old Brazilian moving to England, needs time to develop his game. With Gerrard their and Masch to help, no excuses why he cant do it.

Just a thought - If we get Masch and Stevie to teach him every day, we could have some sort of Super Midfielder. The tackling prowess of Masch and the, well..everything of Gerrard, oh boy!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #80: Jan 14, 2008 07:56:39 pm
      I would like to see him getting more minutes. From what he's shown us, he should have no problems settling in. He has a touch of brilliance, he's not scared to get stuck in either.. he looks confident and deserves more starts!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #81: Jan 23, 2008 06:50:34 pm
      Lucas has got a call up to the Brazil first team. Good on the lad, I hope he gets a chance to shine out there. Playing alongside the likes of Kaka, Sobis and the rest can only do him good.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158548080123-1210.htm
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #82: Jan 23, 2008 07:05:56 pm
      Lucas has got a call up to the Brazil first team. Good on the lad, I hope he gets a chance to shine out there. Playing alongside the likes of Kaka, Sobis and the rest can only do him good.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158548080123-1210.htm

I just think we should be playing this player more often.
      I have said before that he doesn't look troubled when playing for us, he's not scared of getting stuck in and he has a touch of class... I don't know but it seems like he's got something much different about him than our other midfielders have! I would definitley play him alongside Mascherano in the centre.. with Gerrard on the right of midfield!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #83: Jan 23, 2008 07:10:13 pm
      I just think we should be playing this player more often.
      I have said before that he doesn't look troubled when playing for us, he's not scared of getting stuck in and he has a touch of class... I don't know but it seems like he's got something much different about him than our other midfielders have! I would definitley play him alongside Mascherano in the centre.. with Gerrard on the right of midfield!

Don't agree!  I think he has genuine potential for the future...but not seen anything to suggest that he's better than Gerrard or Mascherano in the centre.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM.  Gerrard and Masch could be our CM pairing for the next 6-8 years potentially - why not?  Where does that leave Lucas?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #84: Jan 23, 2008 07:15:10 pm
      Don't agree!  I think he has genuine potential for the future...but not seen anything to suggest that he's better than Gerrard or Mascherano in the centre.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM.  Gerrard and Masch could be our CM pairing for the next 6-8 years potentially - why not?  Where does that leave Lucas?

Well then whats the point in Lucas Leiva? As backup? Trust me this player could become as good as Steven Gerrard is. When Steven Gerrard was 20 was he as good as Lucas Leiva is now? I'm not too sure, Lucas looks a lot more mature and composed than Gerrard does in his play.. doesn't mean he's a better player though.

If we want a special player out of Lucas Leiva then play him now, or let him get rusty on the bench until he ends up at a team like FC Porto or Benfica....
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #85: Jan 23, 2008 07:19:35 pm
      Well then whats the point in Lucas Leiva? As backup? Trust me this player could become as good as Steven Gerrard is. When Steven Gerrard was 20 was he as good as Lucas Leiva is now? I'm not too sure, Lucas looks a lot more mature and composed than Gerrard does in his play.. doesn't mean he's a better player though.

If we want a special player out of Lucas Leiva then play him now, or let him get rusty on the bench until he ends up at a team like FC Porto or Benfica....
      Back it up with facts Ra Ra - what have you seen to justify your predictions.

As i said - a player for the future maybe - but he doesn't look as good as Mikel (chavs).  Who has forced his way into the Chavs at a young age.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #86: Jan 23, 2008 07:23:28 pm
      Back it up with facts Ra Ra - what have you seen to justify your predictions.

As I said - a player for the future maybe - but he doesn't look as good as Mikel (chavs).  Who has forced his way into the Chavs at a young age.

He doesn't look better? Maybe because he hasn't been given much of a chance like Mikel had? Also Mikel is playing with Essien & Lampard in there for support, Lucas will only have one other midfielder alongside him.

From what I've seen though, he can be a better player than Mikel and was definitely the better when the pair met in the Carling Cup clash in December!

Youngest player to ever win the Brazilian Golden Ball, yes thats in Brazil you know the nation with Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Pele, Kaka etc
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #87: Jan 23, 2008 07:29:15 pm
      He doesn't look better? Maybe because he hasn't been given much of a chance like Mikel had? Also Mikel is playing with Essien & Lampard in there for support, Lucas will only have one other midfielder alongside him.

From what I've seen though, he can be a better player than Mikel and was definitely the better when the pair met in the Carling Cup clash in December!

Youngest player to ever win the Brazilian Golden Ball, yes thats in Brazil you know the nation with Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Pele, Kaka etc

From what I've seen of Mikel he looks fecking awesome!

I have a question for you?  Do you think we've seen the best of Lucas (as you think he should play)?   I've seen potential that he can turn into the future of Liverpool - nothing more than that at the moment.

Golden Ball - Excellent - we have a very good player for the future.  Maybe!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #88: Jan 23, 2008 07:32:07 pm
      Well your not going to get the best out of Lucas straight away, thats why he needs games to get the best out of him!

Also players are peaking early these days, so I wouldn't call him one for the future!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #89: Jan 23, 2008 07:33:23 pm
      Well your not going to get the best out of Lucas straight away, thats why he needs games to get the best out of him!

Also players are peaking early these days, so I wouldn't call him one for the future!

Exactly mate - the future.  You said it yourself.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #90: Jan 23, 2008 07:40:19 pm
      Exactly mate - the future.  You said it yourself.

Read it again, I said wouldn't exactly call him one for the future... maybe near future though.
      Look at Fabregas, Messi, Anderson.. they have all peaked at early ages.. they will get better but I don't believe by much. Lucas will get better but he is capable of filling in a role for us now - well thats what I believe, and the only way he can get better is to play game after game! Maybe next season? But we can't do to him whats been done to Momo... NO WAY!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #91: Jan 26, 2008 08:45:49 pm
      On a positive note, what a cracking goal this boy curled in today... for me its the goal of the season so far, very top drawer.

Quick Reply