Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1105343 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Lucas Leiva Player Thread
      Reply #11983: Feb 12, 2017 11:09:54 am
      All the haters:

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11984: Feb 12, 2017 12:05:08 pm
      The Lucas his fans love was back to his best again yesterday.  Great performance.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11985: Feb 13, 2017 07:09:21 pm
      Played absolutely brilliantly on Saturday, a credit to himself and LFC, proud to have such a player in our squad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11986: Feb 13, 2017 07:24:30 pm
      Brilliant performance at the back Saturday.

All the gobshites can carry on crying about him not being good enough and calling him him awful, but there is a F***ing reason he's still here after ten years, that's because he would run through brick walls for this club and that should be recognised.

bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11987: Feb 15, 2017 07:20:22 pm
      Brilliant performance at the back Saturday.

All the gobshites can carry on crying about him not being good enough and calling him him awful, but there is a f**king reason he's still here after ten years, that's because he would run through brick walls for this club and that should be recognised.

Absolutely, been a loyal servant, one of the few with bags of experience, played thro period where he divided the fans a bit, and has imo come out the other side as someone respected by pretty much everyone who knows anything.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #11988: Feb 15, 2017 10:28:30 pm
      Excellent player, technically very sound and easily the most intelligent player in the squad but looks slow so gets no credit no matter if how he plays. When he does play these days its usually to fill in and he still is very reliable , even out of position.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #11989: Feb 15, 2017 11:37:55 pm
      Let's stop with this nonsense Lucas is no longer up to being a viable first team option.

Klopp never even considers him any more in his preferred position in midfield for a reason, unless it's the last 10mins to utilise his heading strength.

He can do a job as a emergency CB as we saw against Spurs when the opposition have no pace in their attack because despite being one of the slowest players in the league he is experienced and knows how to read the game.

Time to let him go and ply his trade in a slower league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11990: Feb 16, 2017 06:12:14 pm
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #11991: Feb 17, 2017 02:34:47 am
      Absolutely, been a loyal servant, one of the few with bags of experience, played thro period where he divided the fans a bit, and has imo come out the other side as someone respected by pretty much everyone who knows anything.

That as it maybe,

But he's the outfield equivalent of the much maligned Mignolet - an accident waiting to happen.

But he gets a free pass because of nostalgia.

It's funny because Gerrard was starting to get the criticism because he was slowing down in his latter years, and Can now; and yet I've witnessed Lucas at it for a long time, but it gets brushed under the carpet.

If the club can cut their loses with Sturridge, they could easily do the same with Lucas and bring in some real quality.

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017 08:28:37 am by Beerbelly »
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11992: Feb 17, 2017 07:20:08 pm
      That as it maybe,

But he's the outfield equivalent of the much maligned Mignolet - an accident waiting to happen.

But he gets a free pass because of nostalgia.

It's funny because Gerrard was starting to get the criticism because he was slowing down in his latter years, and Can now; and yet I've witnessed Lucas at it for a long time, but it gets brushed under the carpet.

If the club can cut their loses with Sturridge, they could easily do the same with Lucas and bring in some real quality.

Felt like SG was so good for so long, when he started to wane toward the END he started to get criticism. Some warranted, some over the top, but that's another days work.

Lucas has been getting criticism from sections of the fans practically the whole time he's been here. I remember a thread where we discussed Lucas ad nauseum, some people proclaimed him as the archetypal holding midfielder, and that he should really be playing him in that position instead of SG - while I was on the SG side, just thought Stevie was 'more dimensional' (could do more things) in the same role. So I guess I found myself on the SG side of things, though I never 'didn't like' Lucas.

Times have moved on, SG is gone, and Lucas is playing even deeper ie. reserve CB.  At this stage, there's really no debate as to whether he should be a starter, cause think most agree he shouldn't be.  In saying that, if we're a man down, I'm happy to be on the side of the debate that says he can come in and do a professional job when needed :) Also, we don't have many players with the experience he has, no harm having some players like that about the place, help the younger ones, know what's expected.

Like an old jacket, has a few rips, seen better days, but has character and not ready to throw it out just yet
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11993: Feb 18, 2017 09:02:07 am
      Simple question. Would Lucas EVER get a game in any position for any of the top six in the league?

Given Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlyn couldn't get a game for the Mancs, I'm clear what I think the answer is. If Lucas gets a game for us EVER on merit these days, our squad isn't strong enough. Simple as that.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #11994: Feb 18, 2017 09:34:08 am
      I don't think Lucas get's any games on Merit or because he is a fan favourite....he get's it because he is good at tackling and reads the game well.

I reckon Klopp (who many many players consider the best coach in world football) is a better judge on our players as he sees them day in and day out than any of you lot are.

Injuries have reduced how mobile he is but he is still good enough as a 3rd or even 4th choice CB for us.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11995: Feb 18, 2017 06:26:12 pm
      I don't think Lucas get's any games on Merit or because he is a fan favourite....he get's it because he is good at tackling and reads the game well.

I reckon Klopp (who many many players consider the best coach in world football) is a better judge on our players as he sees them day in and day out than any of you lot are.

Injuries have reduced how mobile he is but he is still good enough as a 3rd or even 4th choice CB for us.
      He is not good at tackling at all. He had one good game and everyone forgets about how many points he has cost us with garbage free kicks being conceded. He is a fans favourite because he is a loyal player and quite a nice guy. If Klopp is such a good judge of players, explain Mignolet's 5 year contract and Can not being dropped for ages.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11996: Feb 18, 2017 06:28:48 pm
      Simple question. Would Lucas EVER get a game in any position for any of the top six in the league?

Given Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlyn couldn't get a game for the Mancs, I'm clear what I think the answer is. If Lucas gets a game for us EVER on merit these days, our squad isn't strong enough. Simple as that.
      Agreed, Lucas is suited to a team like Bournemouth or Hull.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11997: Feb 18, 2017 06:36:12 pm
      He is not good at tackling at all. He had one good game and everyone forgets about how many points he has cost us with garbage free kicks being conceded. He is a fans favourite because he is a loyal player and quite a nice guy. If Klopp is such a good judge of players, explain Mignolet's 5 year contract and Can not being dropped for ages.

Who would you rather us have than Klopp?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #11998: Feb 18, 2017 06:45:15 pm
      Who would you rather us have than Klopp?
      As much as I can't agree with around 75% of the things Klopp does or sometimes even says, I would keep him. There is not a whole lot better managers out there. I could make a long list of things Klopp got wrong, Mignolet contract, Signing the unexperienced Karius to compete with him, Can not being dropped, Publicly moaning about Sturridge, how he handled the Sakho situation, the amount of times he played Moreno before realizing he was rubbish, not signing anybody in the winter... there are others I can't think of right now. Despite all this I would not like Klopp to go. I do however want him to improve. I shouldn't turn this into the Klopp thread, I just don't think we can say Lucas must be good because Klopp picks him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #11999: Feb 18, 2017 08:06:42 pm
      As much as I can't agree with around 75% of the things Klopp does or sometimes even says, I would keep him. There is not a whole lot better managers out there. I could make a long list of things Klopp got wrong, Mignolet contract, Signing the unexperienced Karius to compete with him, Can not being dropped, Publicly moaning about Sturridge, how he handled the Sakho situation, the amount of times he played Moreno before realizing he was rubbish, not signing anybody in the winter... there are others I can't think of right now. Despite all this I would not like Klopp to go. I do however want him to improve. I shouldn't turn this into the Klopp thread, I just don't think we can say Lucas must be good because Klopp picks him.

So you don't agree with 75% of what Klopp does? Wow. Some of our "support" is laughable.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12000: Feb 18, 2017 08:32:35 pm

Against Spuds we had Klavan on the bench, and Gomez available - but Klopp went for Lucas. And he did a job. Not about getting all misty eyed, and don't think he can play midfield anymore, but can still contribute as 3 or 4th CB.   Next season, we'll see...
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #12001: Feb 18, 2017 09:01:31 pm
      So you don't agree with 75% of what Klopp does? Wow. Some of our "support" is laughable.
      That is an old argument. Do you have to support the manager to support Liverpool? some may say yes, some no. I believe you can support a club and not support a manager. I do support Klopp to stay here and improve. I don't support a lot of his actions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12002: Feb 18, 2017 09:26:09 pm
      If Klopp is such a good judge of players, explain Mignolet's 5 year contract and Can not being dropped for ages.

Mignolet will keep his value if we do ever sell.

Can didn't get dropped as we had so many injuries.

Not that difficult to see the reasons really.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #12003: Feb 18, 2017 09:27:19 pm
      If only Lucas didn't have those serious injuries, he'd be an exceptional, perhaps a world class footballer by now.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #12004: Feb 19, 2017 06:56:51 pm
      Mignolet will keep his value if we do ever sell.

Can didn't get dropped as we had so many injuries.

Not that difficult to see the reasons really.
      I am not too sure Mignolet will keep his value. Gini was available on the bench a lot of the time when Can was awful.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12005: Feb 23, 2017 01:29:46 pm
      Deffo sounds like Lucas may end up on the coaching staff ;)

Liverpool FC @LFC  8 minutes ago

Lucas oversaw a training session at the Academy recently!

And meeting up with Gerrard.

Quick Reply