Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1105285 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)
      Reply #12167: Jun 19, 2019 04:50:35 pm
      He was a fairly average midfielder but always seemed like a really nice guy. Ask yourself this question, who in the current midfield would he replace?

And here is the evidence of the sort stuff that he used to get when he played for us

He wasn’t “fairly average” in any stretch. Excellent players for us but underrated
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12168: Jun 19, 2019 05:12:43 pm
      And here is the evidence of the sort stuff that he used to get when he played for us

He wasn’t “fairly average” in any stretch. Excellent players for us but underrated

I disagree with you, let's leave it at that
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #12169: May 13, 2020 12:14:03 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/395109-lucas-leiva-interview-i-m-so-happy-to-watch-liverpool-winning-as-a-fan

Lucas Leiva has no regrets about the timing of his Liverpool departure as the Brazilian relishes witnessing his former side's success as a fan now.

After 346 appearances across a 10-year spell on Merseyside, Lucas opted for a fresh challenge in the summer of 2017 and joined Serie A side Lazio.

The very next season, JĂŒrgen Klopp guided the Reds to the Champions League final and, of course, they responded to their defeat against Real Madrid by returning a year later and lifting the trophy in Madrid.

Lucas, simultaneously, became an integral figure for Lazio, who clinched the Coppa Italia in 2018-19 and were placed a close second behind leaders Juventus in the Italian top flight before football was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It represents the perfect outcome for the midfielder: seeing his old club secure silverware while he also enjoys the game time he wanted when he made the decision to leave.

“The year after I left, we lost in the final. I met the boys here in Rome [for the 2018 semi-final]. But, of course, [to win it] I was really happy, to be honest,” he said on the latest episode of LFCTV’s Legends in Lockdown.

“My son, my family, we are Liverpool fans now.

“It’s a great achievement and I’m just really happy because so many people there I am still in touch with and still care a lot about.

“Of course, you always think, ‘Had I waited one more year
’ but, to be honest, I wasn’t happy. When you are not happy it makes no sense so, to be honest, it’s better I see Liverpool winning and I’m happy as well playing.

“As a fan I’m really happy. Of course, I would like to have won it but I won it as a fan, let’s say.”

Lucas has played 113 games for I Biancocelesti to date and helped them win the Italian Super Cup in 2017 and 2019, too.

With just two defeats in 26 Serie A fixtures this term, Lazio sit only a point behind Juventus with a superior goal difference.

“It was a new challenge for me,” reflected the 33-year-old. “A club that received me with open arms and I had a lot of responsibility when I arrived, coming from Liverpool and bringing the experience.

“Since I arrived we won three titles, we are now second in the league and it has been fantastic, to be honest. The family has settled really well, the weather is fantastic so it’s been all positive since the day I arrived so I’m really happy.

“Like I said, I wanted to play and show my value again in a new challenge and I’ve been able to do that, so that’s really important as well.”

Signed on this day in 2007 by Rafael Benitez, Lucas later played under Roy Hodgson, Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers before the final phase of his Liverpool career was overseen by Klopp.

He was often used in central defence as Klopp began to transform the Reds and looks back on their shared time at Anfield with fondness and appreciation.

“I learned a lot with him, a lot,” said Lucas.

“I played centre-back; I wouldn’t say I wasn’t happy but it’s not my position, but I learned when you work hard you have to be patient, something that my career at Liverpool was always like this – patience, keep proving, keep going and don’t give up.

“With JĂŒrgen it was always the same. He treated me with respect, and especially when it was the time for me to move on and he was really good. He gave me confidence and the freedom to choose to move to Italy.

“We are still in touch. We send messages. I learned a lot and he’s a guy that is very open, very honest and that’s really important as well.”
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12170: May 11, 2022 07:08:43 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12171: May 11, 2022 08:14:17 pm
      I was very fond of Lucas such a classy lad. Did everything he could and clearly still a good RED
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #12172: Jun 27, 2022 10:06:08 pm
      He's back where it all started for him. What a nice way to end his career.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gremio/status/1541410740309041155
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #12173: Dec 13, 2022 07:13:44 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #12174: Dec 13, 2022 07:52:42 pm
      https://twitter.com/LucasLeiva87/status/1602720803178569728?t=2FzrHiVKZZXb8GSihBbWYA&s=19

GrĂȘmio's Medical Department communicates that the athlete Lucas Leiva presented, in the pre-season routine exams, a picture of alteration of the cardiac rhythm and, consequently, is removed from physical activities until the conclusion of complementary exams and treatment of the picture.

Thankfully this has been found early.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #12175: Dec 13, 2022 11:10:43 pm
      https://twitter.com/LucasLeiva87/status/1602720803178569728?t=2FzrHiVKZZXb8GSihBbWYA&s=19

GrĂȘmio's Medical Department communicates that the athlete Lucas Leiva presented, in the pre-season routine exams, a picture of alteration of the cardiac rhythm and, consequently, is removed from physical activities until the conclusion of complementary exams and treatment of the picture.

Thankfully this has been found early.

Had a small panic attack when I first read that. Good on Gremio to act with such precaution. Hopefully nothing serious.

One of my regrets over the last decade or so was not seeing this guy performing in a team like the one we've had the last few years. He really came into his own at a time around 2011 when we were so reliant on him for shape and integrity. When he got injured against Chelsea in that League Cup match, it spelled the end for Kenny, as our second half of that season proved. Up to that point we were competitive for top 4 from what I recall. A wonderful guy and a wonderful player.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12176: Dec 14, 2022 10:06:53 am
      Had a small panic attack when I first read that. Good on Gremio to act with such precaution. Hopefully nothing serious.

One of my regrets over the last decade or so was not seeing this guy performing in a team like the one we've had the last few years. He really came into his own at a time around 2011 when we were so reliant on him for shape and integrity. When he got injured against Chelsea in that League Cup match, it spelled the end for Kenny, as our second half of that season proved. Up to that point we were competitive for top 4 from what I recall. A wonderful guy and a wonderful player.

Yea hoping its not too serious.

Lucas is one of the good guys.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #12177: Dec 14, 2022 12:01:36 pm
      Yea hoping its not too serious.

Lucas is one of the good guys.

One of my favourite. He won me over. He did his job correctly, every time he was called upon and was always starting when fit.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12178: Dec 14, 2022 01:06:55 pm
      One of my favourite. He won me over. He did his job correctly, every time he was called upon and was always starting when fit.

Indeed.

Slowly but surely earned his place as 1st choice player. and amazingly for an over seas lad gave us 10 years.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12179: Dec 14, 2022 01:07:53 pm
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #12180: Dec 14, 2022 04:04:09 pm

:lmao:

JĂŒrgen spoke very highly of him when he left  and I hope he can be involved in the club again some day in the future. Brazilian LFC ambassador tapping up all the good South American players maybe.

He was an excellent reader of the game, as hard working as Kuyt (anyone who runs as much as Kuyt deserves respect) who had a tough ride at times but was a model professional and a brilliant guy by all accounts. Wish him well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12181: Dec 14, 2022 04:33:42 pm
      :lmao:

JĂŒrgen spoke very highly of him when he left  and I hope he can be involved in the club again some day in the future. Brazilian LFC ambassador tapping up all the good South American players maybe.

He was an excellent reader of the game, as hard working as Kuyt (anyone who runs as much as Kuyt deserves respect) who had a tough ride at times but was a model professional and a brilliant guy by all accounts. Wish him well.

Im sure he would be welcomed back no worries, and that is a great idea scouting south America for us.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #12182: Mar 17, 2023 07:49:25 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12183: Mar 17, 2023 10:30:30 pm

Honestly one of my favourite players over the last decade or so.

One of those players from abroad who seemed to just fit with us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #12184: Mar 18, 2023 08:56:33 am
      Was  fantastic before his two ACL injuries completely robbed him of any pace in a demanding role.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #12185: Jan 09, 2024 08:24:18 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12186: Jan 09, 2024 10:42:04 am
      Legend.

Quick Reply