Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Lucas Leiva (Liverpool > S.S. Lazio)

Read 1105328 times
      bomber
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Re: Lucas Leiva (Attacking Midfielder)
      Reply #23: Aug 24, 2007 10:18:48 am
      Gerrard the only attacking midfielder !!!
      i don't think so.
      Benayoun, Voronin, Kuyt, (and Babel) could all easily fill a role in midfield and support the main strikers.  - good excuse to get 3 real strikers on the pitch (or 4 ?)

Would still be good to see Leiva play, though I suspect only from the bench.  Maybe he will get in the Carling Cup team for frequently.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #24: Aug 24, 2007 10:34:45 am
      If Gerrard isn't playin tomorrow I think this would be a perfect opportunity to play Lucas.
      Alonso has had a bad start to the season (by his great standards!). So Mascherano could play as the defensive midfielder to keep it tight at the back ,and allow the kid to roam forward and show us what he can do!
      Against a team like Sunderland (no offence to Sundlerland ::) ) we should have enough quality in the team to beat them anyway! ;D
      So it would be an ideal chance to test Lucas. ;)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2007 10:56:36 am
      Gerrard the only attacking midfielder !!!
      I don't think so.
      Benayoun, Voronin, Kuyt, (and Babel) could all easily fill a role in midfield and support the main strikers.  - good excuse to get 3 real strikers on the pitch (or 4 ?)

Would still be good to see Leiva play, though I suspect only from the bench.  Maybe he will get in the Carling Cup team for frequently.

He wasn't saying Gerrard was the only option we had to play there, he was saying that out of the natural CM's we have in the squad Gerrard was the only attacking option out of the four until Lucas arrived. He's absolutely right, Alonso, Mascherano or Sissoko aren't very attacking options to play in the middle of the park. Maybe you should read peoples posts properly before criticising them.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #26: Aug 24, 2007 12:53:53 pm
      If Gerrard isn't playin tomorrow I think this would be a perfect opportunity to play Lucas.
      Alonso has had a bad start to the season (by his great standards!). So Mascherano could play as the defensive midfielder to keep it tight at the back ,and allow the kid to roam forward and show us what he can do!
      Against a team like Sunderland (no offence to Sundlerland ::) ) we should have enough quality in the team to beat them anyway! ;D
      So it would be an ideal chance to test Lucas. ;)

If Gerrard is out, I agree. We should definitely see Lucas on the field tomorrow. I think he'll do well to adapt the conditions as quickly as he can and start staking a claim...
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #27: Aug 24, 2007 01:02:49 pm

I think giving Xabi this game to build his confidence would be wiser than dropping him because of his bad form.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #28: Aug 26, 2007 11:09:01 am
      He hasn't even made the bench for us yet. When are we thinking about using him? Would like to see him on the bench next week against Derby County.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #29: Aug 26, 2007 11:39:51 am
      I think he may make a shock appearance against Toulouse...

But anyway, Lucas isn't an Attacking Midfielder as it says in the title; he's more of a box-to box midfielder in a Steven gerrard mould.
      superhans
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 29, 2007 01:16:41 pm
      Lucas did show a lot of promise.. he did look much like a young steven gerrard..houllier era. I liked the way he never gave up a ball. he also had a well caught volley from outside the box. a high workrate. definitely one for the future
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2007 12:07:27 am
      Was expecting flair, fancy flicks, diving, crying when he lost the ball.

Got hard-work, tracking back, getting stuck in.

Some kind of scouse-brazilian? He'll do for me.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #32: Nov 01, 2007 07:02:19 pm
      Lucas was the best player on the pitch yesterday, you could see world class potential from every touch he made!
      I think that he should be playing regular football now, what is there to say otherwise?

Give him a chance Rafa, he's 20 and this is the right age to learn!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #33: Nov 01, 2007 07:06:18 pm
      I am made up he's showing a lot of promise, and he should get more chances in the next few months!  :) A good run in the Carling Cup should do it!  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Nov 01, 2007 08:53:09 pm
      Lucas was the best player on the pitch yesterday, you could see world class potential from every touch he made!
      I think that he should be playing regular football now, what is there to say otherwise?

Gerrard was the best player on the pitch yesterday mate. And out of the young reserve players who took part, I'd say Hobbs was the most consistant.

Lucas did indeed show touches of class but faded as the game went on. He has got great potential and at this stage of the season I'd reckon he's probably the most likely to take part in our league games out of the reserves. I can't really seeing him getting in ahead of Mascherano and Alonso given that Gerrard is always going to be in there, though.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #35: Nov 01, 2007 09:34:39 pm
      I would put Lucas ahead of Alonso but not Mascherano.

Javier Mascherano is an immense player who has brilliant pace for a defensive midfielder, also he's been touted as the best defensive midfielder in the world so that makes it hard to leave him out. He's also only a young player, just 23 years of age.

Xabi Alonso is 26 years old and I think that he's been poor by his own standards. He is definitely not the player now that he was two, three years back. He lacks pace, yes has crisp passing but to be honest his passing is getting worse, a lot worse!

Momo Sissoko is just useless. No offense to the guy but I don't know another way to express my feelings towards the lad. He is 22 years old and no better than he was when he first joined us. Technique is a talent, you've either got it or you ain't and Momo has none of it!

Get Lucas in I say, alongside Mascherano with Gerrard in the free role! Lucas is more creative than Alonso, Mascherano & Sissoko and he's also a lot younger than those three. Play Lucas alongside Mascherano so you get to see the all round Lucas Leiva.. when he plays alongside Gerrard he is usually playing the holding role so you don't get to see what he is capable off.

Tim Vickery said that Lucas is a player he can see playing alongside Mascherano in the future... I agree with him!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #36: Nov 01, 2007 10:19:20 pm
      Xabi Alonso is 26 years old and I think that he's been poor by his own standards. He is definitely not the player now that he was two, three years back. He lacks pace, yes has crisp passing but to be honest his passing is getting worse, a lot worse!

Tim Vickery said that Lucas is a player he can see playing alongside Mascherano in the future... I agree with him!

I agree Alonso hasn't reached the levels he's been capable of in the past, of late. But his crisp passing comes with an abundance of intelligence. He'll never lose that and I believe we'll see a raring to go and revitalised Alonso when he comes back mate. As you say, he's 26 years old (well, he's still 25 until the 25th - I've got the clinging on to my age syndrome  :D) so he's got his best years of football at his feet. With Liverpool. Not to mention a good few years experience of premiership football.

Agree about Mascherano. I'm a massive fan of the way he plays and he's going to get even better in the league. Tim Vickery has a very good point. Just shows you how far ahead Rafa thinks doesn't it...... ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #37: Nov 01, 2007 11:22:57 pm
      Do you think that Lucas has now overtaken Sissoko in the peaking order i think that he has to be honest. The lad is an asset but Lucas' passing is far far better than Sissokos and if you want to be a CM you need to pass the ball to a high standard, and now that Mash is at the club we have a tackler also, so i don't see were Sissoko fits in
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #38: Nov 02, 2007 04:56:53 pm
      Give him a chance Rafa, he's 20 and this is the right age to learn!

He had a good contribution from the bench against Everton, and was rewarded with a 20 mins against Besiktas added to a full game against Cardiff.  In the last two weeks i can't see how he could have played him more considering even you accept that Mascherano is better, and that there is a certain Steven Gerrard. 
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #39: Nov 02, 2007 05:36:45 pm
      From talkaloadofbull.com

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard and manager Rafa Benitez have backed midfielder Lucas Leiva to shine at Anfield. 

The 20-year-old arrived at Liverpool in the summer and has been slowly accruing pitch time since, most recently against Cardiff City in the Carling Cup on Wednesday.

His midfield partner for the game, Steven Gerrard, has been impressed with how quickly the Brazilian has settled in England.

"He could have had the winner in the derby on his league debut and there aren't many players who can say that," he told the club’s official website.

"It is always difficult for new players to come on in the derby, especially when they're used to playing a different style of football in a different country. But Lucas came on and acquitted himself well.

"I've seen enough of him in training and in games to know that he has got a great future.

"He is only a young lad but once he picks up more experience and if he keeps on doing the right things in training and listening to the right people, then I'm sure he will go on to be a great player."

Lucas' appearances from the bench so far this season have also impressed boss Rafa Benitez, who revealed that fans can expect to see more and more of the Brazil international as the campaign progresses.

Benitez said: "He is the captain of the Brazilian under-21 team and he has already won a cap for the first team, so we knew all about his quality.

"It is not as if he was playing for one of the smaller countries. It is Brazil and it is really difficult for a player to play for such a big team at such a young age.

"So we were happy to sign him, and I am sure we will see more and more of him as the season goes on."

I have been impressed with him so far.I really hope we can sign Mascherano permanently but if we dont then i think Lucas can come in and do the job.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Nov 02, 2007 05:45:36 pm
      Good to see some praise being heaped on from his manager and team-mates!  :)

Got high hopes of this lad!  ;D
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2007 11:55:15 am
      We have seen what he can do already and needs no further elaboration, he doesn't over dribbles like Ryan Babel, however, i noticed one area of concern which is the physical toughness in him which is missing at the moment. He needs to quickly get up to speed and toughen himself up like SG and Mascherano. If he could do that fast enough and line him up across the field with SG and Mascherano, our midfield will be tough to break down.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #42: Nov 07, 2007 06:58:59 pm
      His pass to Benayoun yesterday was amazing..
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #43: Dec 06, 2007 02:27:26 am
      I want to hear some thoughts on Lucas.  I am lovin him at the moment....so calm and composed  he almost seems to be holding back a bit. the reason I make the bold comparison to fabergas is because Cesc originally wouldn't move up the pitch....he just expertly distributed.  Well Lucas wins the balls and delivers, wins and delivers....he seems so calm and so natural on the ball.  Could he be as good as I am making him out to be?  Imagine if he does decide to start being a little more bold in his playing.  He certainly has shown that he has the talent and skill to do great things
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #44: Dec 06, 2007 05:27:56 am
      Could he be as good as I am making him out to be?  Imagine if he does decide to start being a little more bold in his playing.  He certainly has shown that he has the talent and skill to do great things

Yes he could be...He is still learning and playing next to Stevie he cant get forward to much but he has said once he has more confidence he will.I think his a great player in the making.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #45: Dec 06, 2007 07:18:08 am
      Wow, our CM position looks so damn solid.
      After our 3 star CMs, Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano, we have Lucas who is looking great, Guthrie who is playing well at Bolton and Spearing who is dominating in the reserves...Sissoko too, but I'm hoping he's sold to raise money for Masch.

Quick Reply