Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rafael Benitez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift

Read 24711 times
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 281 posts |
      Rafael Benitez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over Anfield rift
      May 01, 2010 12:55:54 am
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2010 08:09:32 pm by JD »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Rafael Benitez on the brink of leaving Liverpool over anfield rift
      Reply #1: May 01, 2010 12:58:13 am
      The Times are pretty reliable to be fair. This club is fu**ed if Rafa leaves. fu**ed.
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 281 posts |
      Reply #2: May 01, 2010 01:00:23 am
      I hope to F***ing God it's not true but being in the Times it could be my head will be twatted if he leaves
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: May 01, 2010 01:02:03 am
      Not this again.

Game against Chelsea on the weekend to decide the league and this.
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #4: May 01, 2010 01:05:47 am
      I don't really know what to make of that article, even though it's the Times, I'm still very skeptical.

If it's true and he leaves, I would be absolutely gutted.

Rafael BenĂ­tez could bid an emotional farewell to Anfield tomorrow after a breakdown of trust between the Liverpool manager and the board.

The club’s hierarchy believe Benítez is “playing games” as he weighs up an offer to take over at Juventus.

Sources at Anfield said last night that the situation looks increasingly untenable for both parties, but the mechanics of Benítez’s departure remain unclear because of two factors: the extraordinary sum of £16 million that he would be due as compensation if relieved of his duties and the uncertainty over the future ownership of the club.

The board insists that Benítez’s potential payoff will not stop it acting decisively. However, the Spaniard believes he has a watertight five-year contract, agreed only last year, which entitles him to be paid within 24 hours of having his contract terminated.

With at least two groups expressing serious interest in buying Liverpool from Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the uncertainty may be prolonged until a takeover has been finalised, but the club’s hierarchy are prepared to discuss the matter with potential investors if they fear Benítez has become a “lame duck” manager after a wretched season in which they lie seventh in the Barclays Premier League with two matches remaining, the first against Chelsea in a potential title decider tomorrow.

Benítez has an arrangement with Christian Purslow, the managing director, to sit down at the end of the season, after the final Premier League fixture away to Hull City a week tomorrow, to discuss the future. Having not yet spoken to Martin Broughton, who was appointed as chairman a fortnight ago, Benítez fears the worst, but a swift resolution looks unlikely. The Liverpool board will not stand in Benítez’s way if he wants to join Juventus or any other club, which would at least spare it the payout.

Benítez said yesterday: “I decided to stay last year because of the fans and for one year I have been working hard, trying to do my best. We will see what happens in the future.”

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #5: May 01, 2010 01:10:05 am
      Not this again.

Game against Chelsea on the weekend to decide the league and this.

This is The Times though. Not the usual 20p shitrags.
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 281 posts |
      Reply #6: May 01, 2010 01:12:59 am
      It does look like one of those load of bollocks totally made up stories weve had to put up with year on year but someone tell me why the F**k has'nt Broughton met Rafa yet two weeks into the job and why hasnt Rafa come out and told Juve to F**k off
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #7: May 01, 2010 01:15:54 am
      If he does lose I think Liverpool need a legend to step in to reignite the passion.....that's only if he decides to accept the offer. I think a lot of our players who have been rumored to leave would stay if King Kenny steps in. I hope that Rafa stays though, at the beginning of the year I seriously had my doubts, I was frustrated, but our second half of this year has been a lot better than our first half. Yet another improvement the media fails to mention.
      LFCkl
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 365 posts |
      Reply #8: May 01, 2010 01:17:35 am
      I give up in the whole guessing game - is he going to stay? is he going to quit? Us fans deserve to know though, so I understand the "playing games" bit. Think he should give us another season depending on what happens with the owners etc..
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #9: May 01, 2010 01:18:08 am
      This could be devastating IF it's true, oh I hope not.
      And I thought it couldn't get any worse this season.... :mad:

BenĂ­tez said yesterday: “I decided to stay last year because of the fans and for one year  I have been working hard, trying to do my best. We will see what happens in the future.”

Hope Im reading too much into that quote
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #10: May 01, 2010 01:20:00 am
      This could be devastating IF it's true, oh I hope not.
      And I thought it couldn't get any worse this season.... :mad:

BenĂ­tez said yesterday: “I decided to stay last year because of the fans and for one year  I have been working hard, trying to do my best. We will see what happens in the future.”

Hope Im reading too much into that quote

My guess is that he is saying for one year (out of the 5 he is contracted for) he is working hard, trying to do his best. Maybe trying to say something like "It's been one freaking year, what the hell? I am contracted for four more, I have work to do!"
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #11: May 01, 2010 01:25:44 am
      It does look like one of those load of bollocks totally made up stories weve had to put up with year on year but someone tell me why the f**k has'nt Broughton met Rafa yet two weeks into the job and why hasnt Rafa come out and told Juve to f**k off

I don't think there's any actualy proof to say Benitez hasn't met Broughton, although it could be the case they haven't yet had the chance to discuss business, taking over a position like Broughton's requires a lot of orientation and we've had some tough games for Rafa worry about; wouldn't read too much into it.

Your point on Juve though I do understand, he hasn't distanced himself because he's keeping his options open.

Realistically, nobody (not even Man City) would ever pay the ÂŁ15-20m touted compo he'd be due. An amicable parting would have to be reached and I imagine appointing a new manager would be the job of a new owner, H&G won't pony up that's 'for sure'. The money involved is astronomical, people forget all the coaching/scouting/youth structure is completely ripped out upon installing a new manager. Plus the squad would have to be overhauled to weed out the 6-7 passengers we currently have and replace them with genuine talent.

I think all this points to two simple options, both of which will only happen when a new owner comes in:

- Rafa stays on

or

- Rafa agrees a very low settlement (let's say ÂŁ3m) to go to another club.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #12: May 01, 2010 01:29:42 am
      My guess is that he is saying for one year (out of the 5 he is contracted for) he is working hard, trying to do his best. Maybe trying to say something like "It's been one freaking year, what the hell? I am contracted for four more, I have work to do!"

Let's hope you're right, mate
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #13: May 01, 2010 01:30:11 am
      I have got to say the rumour about Purslow shafting Rafa over the the transfer, I had already heard at another forum. I don't know what it is about the bosses at LFC, but they are seemingly always interfering where there not wanted. Little wonder he feels betrayed.

I cannot blame him, if he feels the only way open to him is to leave us. All those Rafa critics though just take a look who is on our board, and tell me you would trust ANY of them, to appoint the next manager of Liverpool FC.

Talking about shooting ourselves in the foot!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: May 01, 2010 01:30:53 am
      Rafael Benitez will leave Liverpool when he knows he's lost the support of the fans,or when he gets a life changing pay-off.He'll never be short of work,so he is in the driving street.I am convinced that he is not the sort to walk away after 1 mediocre season,with piss poor owners,and who the f*ck are Juventus anyway?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #15: May 01, 2010 01:33:59 am
      Something's going on when the board are quoted as saying they won't stand in his way in the light of an offer to the manager from Juventus and still no word either way off Rafa. That piece in the times certainly gives the rumour some credibility.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #16: May 01, 2010 01:39:39 am
      I have got to say the rumour about Purslow shafting Rafa over the the transfer, I had already heard at another forum. I don't know what it is about the bosses at LFC, but they are seemingly always interfering where there not wanted. Little wonder he feels betrayed.

I cannot blame him, if he feels the only way open to him is to leave us. All those Rafa critics though just take a look who is on our board, and tell me you would trust ANY of them, to appoint the next manager of Liverpool FC.

Talking about shooting ourselves in the foot!
      Good point mate,can't imagine the political sh*te going on at board level."Team Liverpool" my arse.We are so disjointed as a club that the whole thing needs to be stopped and started again from scratch.Words I never thought I would say,and it's mainly down to the two f*cknuckles.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #17: May 01, 2010 01:43:39 am
      If Rafa leaves and we get some unqualified hack like Klinsmann in, then I will be so very upset and angry. Rafa may not be perfect and may have made some wrong decisions, but I have no doubt in his ability.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #18: May 01, 2010 01:53:36 am
      Something's going on when the board are quoted as saying they won't stand in his way in the light of an offer to the manager from Juventus and still no word either way off Rafa. That piece in the times certainly gives the rumour some credibility.
      Stuey mate,like me you pay a lot of time and attention to the behind scenes goings on.The lack of board support concerns me also,but I believe they are all playing a massive poker game.Rafa knows he can't lose,the board can't appear to be week,and potential investors will sit on the sidelines,waiting for the soap opera to unfurl.To the fans,a load of un-necessary sh*te.What annoys me about all this,is that it's created by unworthy owners,and the longer it goes on,the more it affects next season.I don't want to spend another season defending Rafa against un-justified critiscism,I want the man to be given the appropriate resources to do a proper job,and then stand critisicm,and above all a start to a stadium build,without that we are dead,Rafa or no f*cking Rafa.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #19: May 01, 2010 01:54:15 am
      Well it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

But let's hope that happens quickly, I am fed up with all this!
      hobbithead
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 747 posts | -3 
      Reply #20: May 01, 2010 02:02:34 am
      This is The Times though. Not the usual 20p shitrags.

Yeah they are usually pretty good apart from the independent. They have some anti rafa journalists working for them. I prefer reading the proper papers now. It takes the edge off getting up for work. They are free on your mobile too, even better. They don't exactly fill me with exitement reading them, but they are usually spot on. The Guardian is probably the best with regards to speculation. I think they come top out of reliability percentages. If its in there start to worry.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #21: May 01, 2010 02:09:43 am
      Well it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

But let's hope that happens quickly, I am fed up with all this!
      Good post mate,Sunday ends our season,then we enter a period of uncertainty that I have never experienced.Of course the fan base is there,but owned by who? Managed by who?What players remaining? Not the Liverpool way,and that's not taking any "high ground",the sh*te if required will come later.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: May 01, 2010 02:14:12 am
      Good post mate,Sunday ends our season,then we enter a period of uncertainty that I have never experienced.Of course the fan base is there,but owned by who? Managed by who?What players remaining? Not the Liverpool way,and that's not taking any "high ground",the sh*te if required will come later.

There's one more game after Sunday mate ;) Will be a big important period after though, agreed. Im really nervous as to what the off-season will bring. Will it be joy, or more despair?

Quick Reply