Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Our defence without Carra

Read 3962 times
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Our defence without Carra
      Sep 17, 2010 07:51:12 am
      (Mods feel free to move/merge if applicable)

Watching the game last night, am i the only one who seemed to think our defence was sloppy on more than one occasion?

I know Roy was saving most of the squad for the game on Sunday vs scum, but we still had Agger & Sotis as CB, MK at RB & Konch at LB, yet Bucharest seemed to penetrate our back line on several occasions. I just feel that we lacked the leadership and organisation that Carra seems to bring, like motivating the players or yelling at them to get back in position. There was hardly any of that last night, and if there was it seemed to come from Pepe.

There was no-one to stand up and say: "look lads, these guys are getting through a bit too easy at times, sort it out or they will score again"
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Re: Our defence without Carra
      Reply #1: Sep 17, 2010 08:03:56 am
      (Mods feel free to move/merge if applicable)

Watching the game last night, am I the only one who seemed to think our defence was sloppy on more than one occasion?

I know Roy was saving most of the squad for the game on Sunday vs scum, but we still had Agger & Sotis as CB, MK at RB & Konch at LB, yet Bucharest seemed to penetrate our back line on several occasions. I just feel that we lacked the leadership and organisation that Carra seems to bring, like motivating the players or yelling at them to get back in position. There was hardly any of that last night, and if there was it seemed to come from Pepe.

There was no-one to stand up and say: "look lads, these guys are getting through a bit too easy at times, sort it out or they will score again"

Yes you are correct, i think agger needs to be more vocal and he have to take the leadership.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Sep 17, 2010 08:07:59 am
      Yeah our defence looked sloppy. Hope it doesnt happen against Man utd.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Sep 17, 2010 08:09:42 am
      To be honest we've been getting penetrated whethet Carra is in the defense or not, just look at the Birmingham game.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Sep 17, 2010 08:25:16 am
      Yesterdays back-wings were fantastic but both central defends were sloppy in times.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Sep 17, 2010 08:26:31 am
      I actually think we need to see a shift towards Dagger and Skrtel. With our hopefull move away from two holding midfield players we will be more exposed. Consequently or defense needs pace. Something Carra and Sotis lack
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Sep 17, 2010 08:37:13 am
      Consequently or defense needs pace. Something Carra and Sotis lack

Agree with this, but there also needs to be that leadership element if we have DAgger & Skrtel.

Just have to wait & see what Roy does on Sunday.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Sep 17, 2010 08:40:54 am
      I actually think we need to see a shift towards Dagger and Skrtel. With our hopefull move away from two holding midfield players we will be more exposed. Consequently or defense needs pace. Something Carra and Sotis lack

Came on to say just this.  :nod:

I may be alone on this but I always feel nervous when Jamie has to defend on the back foot and sadly that's more often than not. Pushing, shoving, pointing and shouting - some call it organising - is not defending to my mind. Sorry.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #8: Sep 17, 2010 08:55:47 am
      Rather Carra and Agger.

Skrtel makes me nervous that little bit more each time i watch him.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Sep 17, 2010 10:37:25 am
      Rather Carra and Agger.

Skrtel makes me nervous that little bit more each time I watch him.
      he is a little brain dead imo...makes ridiculously stupid decisions at times!!!
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Sep 17, 2010 01:07:25 pm
      You are right that someone has to stand up and take the lead in the defence when Carra is not there, now and going forward, and I reckon it'll be Skrtel rather than Agger who does it - once he is out of Carra's shadow. 

;D, not sure if that is exactly what Carra says...

TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Sep 17, 2010 01:09:21 pm

We will see this over time, which should allow us to play more attacking football by holding a higher line.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #12: Sep 17, 2010 01:28:25 pm

Agger is class, but I have not been a fan of Skrtel for a while.  People are talking about Carra and Sotis not having pace, but Skrtel certainly doesn't have any either.  He clumsy as hell, and is sh*t with the ball at his feet!  The only things he does well is clear high balls lofted into the box, and when he does get into a challenge he makes sure the other player feels the full force of it!  I honestly want to see Wilson getting some minutes this season as looked class for Rangers last season.  A pairing of Wilson and Agger would give our back line a bit of pace, and they would both be ball playing CB's which would help our team keep better possession.
      Cuttsy888
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 295 posts |
      Reply #13: Sep 17, 2010 01:38:06 pm
      Sotos is way tooooo slow , the game has changed , great in the air but a liability when faced with pace and snap decisions

Would have rathered seen danny wilson get game time than sotos as his time is done
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #14: Sep 17, 2010 01:46:35 pm
      The Greek is perfect for games against the likes of Stoke and Bolton.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #15: Sep 17, 2010 06:46:17 pm
      I may be alone on this but I always feel nervous when Jamie has to defend on the back foot and sadly that's more often than not. Pushing, shoving, pointing and shouting - some call it organising - is not defending to my mind. Sorry.
      You're not alone. I said the same last season and several people agreed. It's hard to criticise Carra because he's an absolute legend but his lack of pace nowadays is starting to show. As the season goes on and he starts to tire again, I fully expect him to start giving away freekicks because he has to resort to cynical fouls when he's beaten for pace. He still has a job to do for us and his leadership skills and experience are valuable but he can't play every game now.
      RedtillDead
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 17, 2010 07:28:59 pm
      You're not alone. I said the same last season and several people agreed. It's hard to criticise Carra because he's an absolute legend but his lack of pace nowadays is starting to show. As the season goes on and he starts to tire again, I fully expect him to start giving away freekicks because he has to resort to cynical fouls when he's beaten for pace. He still has a job to do for us and his leadership skills and experience are valuable but he can't play every game now.

Could not agree more, I think we need to start looking at other long term options... Love Carra but that little skip as he pushes the ball forward a metre then hits an airball towards Torres (marked by two players and by passing Gerrard etc in midfield) has been doing my head in for a while now.. more often than not he always looks for a long option, which does not help us to retain possession.

Guess you could make allowances for that when he is at the top of his game... but on last seasons form..
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #17: Sep 17, 2010 10:12:00 pm
      Carra was never fast, but his decision making and anticipation are still sound, but were still not ready to go into big games without him yet. Of course we will need to look at other options in the near future but for me its Carra plus....?
      Go on Carra lad, bite some manc legs.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 783 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Sep 17, 2010 10:15:47 pm
      Go on Carra lad, bite some manc legs.

;D still love Carra for his challenges on the bitters & mancs, Steven Pienaar at Anfield last season springs to mind.

Shoulder Barging 101 ;D
      miraclez94
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 17, 2010 10:25:43 pm
      plz our defence is betta without carra
      sqirg
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #20: Sep 17, 2010 10:37:32 pm
      You make a great point OP
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Sep 18, 2010 02:32:31 am
      Rather Carra and Agger.

Skrtel makes me nervous that little bit more each time I watch him.

Can't agree more mate, Skrtel for me hasn't looked the same since he had that face injury at the start of last season.

Quick Reply