Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Article: Stevie's knackered

Read 2114 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Article: Stevie's knackered
      Jun 10, 2007 04:16:59 pm
      Steven Gerrard has revealed the extent of his exhaustion following a marathon season with Liverpool and England.

The 27-year-old is looking forward to a month's rest after helping get England's European Championship qualifying campaign back on track in Estonia on Wednesday.

"I desperately need a rest - it's as simple as that. I'm worn out," he said.

Player burn-out has been a hot topic in recent days following David Bentley's controversial withdrawal from the England squad for the UEFA Under-21 Championship, citing "fatigue".

Liverpool captain Gerrard played 62 games for club and country last season, which included going all the way to the final of the Champions League.

He added: "Two-and-a-half weeks off after the World Cup wasn't enough to prepare for a hectic season, which included going all the way in the Champions League final and playing for England.

"It's been a difficult season for me but I'm getting married next week and I've got four weeks to put my feet up.

"Demands on players at the highest level can be excessive. It's a no-win situation because the more success you have, the more games you have to play."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/06/10/SOCCER_Gerrard.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Here's hoping he gets his fitness back for his wedding later this month.  :P
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Article: Stevie's knackered
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2007 04:19:24 pm
      I read this when I came on earlier on Sky Sports website.
      I'm not surprised, from the Istanbul final 2005, that season, FA Cup final, World Cup, and now Euro games.. poor guy! I know it's his job but it's a very physically demanding job and he's only human!
      I wish I could go to his wedding :) Hehe.
      david_brent
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2007 06:30:55 pm
      Poor guy... He get's paid a basic wage of £120,000 per week.

He will be able to sit on his arse from the age of 35 onwards.

Sorry, but I have got zero sympathy for footballers when they complain about being tired.  That David Bentley who pulled out of the Under-21 Championships is an absolute disgrace as an example. Should never pull the shirt on again.
      vince
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2007 06:41:47 pm
      he must be shattered the way he has been playing i hope he is if not I'm worried because his passing sometimes is awful for world-class player i would expect more,don't get me wrong the rest of his game is top class!
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 14, 2007 04:49:23 pm
      He's looked Shattered for a while in fairness!! And he's been going hard at it since Rafa arrived really!
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2007 12:57:51 am
      Ya at the end of the season it was starting to show.

Lets hope next season we can see his best again and hopefully he will be lifting the league trophy.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2007 11:16:15 am
      I think a lot of the players who were at the world cup were tired,we will see the best of Stevie again next season.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2007 11:20:36 am
      I think a lot of the players who were at the world cup were tired,we will see the best of Stevie again next season.

Don't forget it's not just the World Cup, the summer before our season started in July having to play all the CL qualifiers, having played right through to the CL final that May. It's been a good few years since Stevie's had a proper break.
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2007 12:17:05 pm
      Well rest up good N' Proper Now! Although He probably has A busy weekend/week or so coming up!! so maybe not so much rest ??
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2007 07:44:40 am
      He won't have had much kip this weekend if honeymoons are anything to go by!  :P

Then again, he can have loads of kip soon, if marriages are anything to go by either!  :laugh:

Quick Reply